From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Test for privacy of the best QR scanners on the planet
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:20:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:20 UTC

In another recent thread today there was a discussion that morphed,
eventually from "what's wrong with my QR reader" to "what makes it private"?

I try to keep my un-rooted Android device as private as I can make it.

I do that by installing only the most private apps that are possible to get.
So my two QR scanning apps are free, ad free, gsf free & google free apps.

However I know little to nothing about QR code scanning privacy dos & donts.

But I love to learn new things, so, for starters, here's what's on my phone.
<https://i.postimg.cc/x1R8tMGh/qr01.jpg>

You see two QR apps, one called "QR Scanner" & the other "QR Code Reader."
QR Code Reader <krow.dev.qrcode>
QR Scanner <com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner>

I can't remember if I've _ever_ used them, but I port all my APKs from older
phones to each consecutive phone, so I must've chosen each of them long ago.
<https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg> 1600 APKs extracted onto Windows

To always be purposefully helpful, I can test out what those two apps
individually do for the OP if necessary, where this is the link to each:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=krow.dev.qrcode>

If those two apps aren't in the list of the best most private qr scanners
I'd be surprised (but I'd be quite willing to test them given a good test).

Can someone suggest a privacy test (maybe with a QR code already available)?

Re: Test for privacy of the best QR scanners on the planet

<ssi0f8$r77$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26873&group=comp.mobile.android#26873

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 14:28:56 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:28 UTC

On 2022-01-22 2:20 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> In another recent thread today there was a discussion that morphed,
> eventually from "what's wrong with my QR reader" to "what makes it private"?
>
> I try to keep my un-rooted Android device as private as I can make it.
>
> I do that by installing only the most private apps that are possible to get.
> So my two QR scanning apps are free, ad free, gsf free & google free apps.
>
> However I know little to nothing about QR code scanning privacy dos & donts.
>
> But I love to learn new things, so, for starters, here's what's on my phone.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/x1R8tMGh/qr01.jpg>
>
> You see two QR apps, one called "QR Scanner" & the other "QR Code Reader."
> QR Code Reader <krow.dev.qrcode>
> QR Scanner <com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner>
>
> I can't remember if I've _ever_ used them, but I port all my APKs from older
> phones to each consecutive phone, so I must've chosen each of them long ago.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg> 1600 APKs extracted onto Windows
>
> To always be purposefully helpful, I can test out what those two apps
> individually do for the OP if necessary, where this is the link to each:
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=krow.dev.qrcode>
>
> If those two apps aren't in the list of the best most private qr scanners
> I'd be surprised (but I'd be quite willing to test them given a good test).
>
> Can someone suggest a privacy test (maybe with a QR code already available)?

Only you would imagine that privacy is necessary to discuss with a QR
code reader.

Re: Test for privacy of the best QR scanners on the planet

<ssi9k5$al$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26876&group=comp.mobile.android#26876

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:05:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:05 UTC

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 00:02:13 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

> QR codes are not only for webpage URLs. QR codes can be for other things.
> Try scanning the QR code below and see...
> QR code at: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_qr-code-for-micky--ncdkugdt.png>

Given this QR code purposefully created for testing purposes:
*QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/UqGnXYPBuKU/m/tort2Q5wEQAJ>

Here is the result of that test QR scan, with Internet completely off.
<https://i.postimg.cc/x1R8tMGh/qr01.jpg> Best privacy QR Code Scanners
<https://i.postimg.cc/26XcZCky/qr02.jpg> Sample known QR code result
<https://i.postimg.cc/XqG2Ktq8/qr03.jpg> Same QR code - different results
<https://i.postimg.cc/MTG3Hn8g/qr04.jpg> Option to send mail or add contact

Notice scanners give completely different results out of the same QR code.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Test for privacy of the best QR scanners on the planet