"I am your density." -- George McFly in "Back to the Future"

tech / sci.engr.joining.welding / Re: auto darkening helmets

SubjectAuthor
* auto darkening helmetsAbandoned_Trolley
+* Re: auto darkening helmetsRichard Smith
|`* Re: auto darkening helmetsSnag
| `* Re: auto darkening helmetsRichard Smith
|  `- Re: auto darkening helmetsSnag
+* Re: auto darkening helmetsAbandoned_Trolley
|+* Re: auto darkening helmetsCharlie+
||`* Re: auto darkening helmetsAbandoned_Trolley
|| +- Re: auto darkening helmetsRichard Smith
|| +- Re: auto darkening helmetsRichard Smith
|| `- Re: auto darkening helmetsAbandoned_Trolley
|`* Re: auto darkening helmetsRichard Smith
| `- Re: auto darkening helmetsAbandoned_Trolley
`* Re: auto darkening helmetsDavid Billington
 `- Re: auto darkening helmetsJim Wilkins

1
auto darkening helmets

<tcjq2u$3a9m2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=268&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#268

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: auto darkening helmets
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 20:12:28 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 19:12 UTC

Hi there

I dont know how many people on here are from the UK, but if you are you
may like to know that Lidl are selling a very cheap auto darkening helmet.

It's their own "Parkside" brand and it retails at £25.

Even if they are no good as your main helmet, then it might be good as a
backup or for tuition purposes.

Costs nothing to look ....

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: auto darkening helmets

<lyfsi6ny3c.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=269&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#269

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: Re: auto darkening helmets
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 23:56:39 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 22:56 UTC

Abandoned_Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> writes:

> Hi there
>
> I dont know how many people on here are from the UK, but if you are
> you may like to know that Lidl are selling a very cheap auto darkening
> helmet.
>
> It's their own "Parkside" brand and it retails at £25.
>
> Even if they are no good as your main helmet, then it might be good as
> a backup or for tuition purposes.
>
> Costs nothing to look ....

I am in the UK.
I have no idea how good or not good they are.
You can have a surprise either way.

I work commercially and use what many rate as the best.
Because you can have it on for 8 to 12 hours a day.

Rich Smith

Re: auto darkening helmets

<vHjIK.686272$5fVf.364878@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=270&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#270

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 21:32:59 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 02:32 UTC

On 8/8/2022 5:56 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Abandoned_Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I dont know how many people on here are from the UK, but if you are
>> you may like to know that Lidl are selling a very cheap auto darkening
>> helmet.
>>
>> It's their own "Parkside" brand and it retails at £25.
>>
>> Even if they are no good as your main helmet, then it might be good as
>> a backup or for tuition purposes.
>>
>> Costs nothing to look ....
>
> I am in the UK.
> I have no idea how good or not good they are.
> You can have a surprise either way.
>
> I work commercially and use what many rate as the best.
> Because you can have it on for 8 to 12 hours a day.
>
> Rich Smith

I bought the best I could afford ... just because I'm a "hobbyist"
doesn't mean I need to skimp where my sight is concerned .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Re: auto darkening helmets

<lymtcdc1zk.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=271&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#271

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 08:25:35 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 07:25 UTC

Snag <snag_one@msn.com> writes:

> On 8/8/2022 5:56 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
>> Abandoned_Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> I dont know how many people on here are from the UK, but if you are
>>> you may like to know that Lidl are selling a very cheap auto darkening
>>> helmet.
>>>
>>> It's their own "Parkside" brand and it retails at £25.
>>>
>>> Even if they are no good as your main helmet, then it might be good as
>>> a backup or for tuition purposes.
>>>
>>> Costs nothing to look ....
>>
>> I am in the UK.
>> I have no idea how good or not good they are.
>> You can have a surprise either way.
>>
>> I work commercially and use what many rate as the best.
>> Because you can have it on for 8 to 12 hours a day.
>>
>> Rich Smith
>>

> I bought the best I could afford ... just because I'm a "hobbyist"
> doesn't mean I need to skimp where my sight is concerned .
> --
> Snag
> “Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
> want to hear.” -George Orwell

Apologies for the unintended potential interpretation.
Those air-feds are very expensive. But when you are sliding around on
your back in a tiny space welding overhead in the near-darkness you
realise the finer points of the design.

I got from Aldi or Lidl a bench drilling machine for GBP30 (less than
an "electric drill") and you could feel play in the quill - but for
what my friend was doing it was fantastic and a blessing. She could
drill in less than two seconds what had always been a bit of work with
a hand-held drill.
That was what I was thinking of...

Re: auto darkening helmets

<tctg37$1cien$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=272&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#272

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 06:23:18 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 11:23 UTC

On 8/9/2022 2:25 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Snag <snag_one@msn.com> writes:

>>> I am in the UK.
>>> I have no idea how good or not good they are.
>>> You can have a surprise either way.
>>>
>>> I work commercially and use what many rate as the best.
>>> Because you can have it on for 8 to 12 hours a day.
>>>
>>> Rich Smith
>>>

>> I bought the best I could afford ... just because I'm a "hobbyist"
>> doesn't mean I need to skimp where my sight is concerned .
>> --
>> Snag
>> “Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
>> want to hear.” -George Orwell
>
> Apologies for the unintended potential interpretation.
> Those air-feds are very expensive. But when you are sliding around on
> your back in a tiny space welding overhead in the near-darkness you
> realise the finer points of the design.
>
> I got from Aldi or Lidl a bench drilling machine for GBP30 (less than
> an "electric drill") and you could feel play in the quill - but for
> what my friend was doing it was fantastic and a blessing. She could
> drill in less than two seconds what had always been a bit of work with
> a hand-held drill.
> That was what I was thinking of...

I didn't mean anything but that I too value quality equipment ...
were I a professional weldor , I would have spent a lot more than a
hundred fifty bucks for a helmet . But for the 4 or 5 times a month I
use it it's just fine .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: auto darkening helmets

<tekuq0$1fev5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=277&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#277

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:11:42 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:11 UTC

On 05/08/2022 20:12, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I dont know how many people on here are from the UK, but if you are you
> may like to know that Lidl are selling a very cheap auto darkening helmet.
>
> It's their own "Parkside" brand and it retails at £25.
>
> Even if they are no good as your main helmet, then it might be good as a
> backup or for tuition purposes.
>

> Costs nothing to look ....

and on a related note, I noticed in a different branch of Lidl that they
are selling a Parkside "inverter" and on the side of the (disturbingly
small) box it says that theres a TIG torch included.

I dont work for Lidl and I am not recommending it, but once again it
costs nothing to look ....

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: auto darkening helmets

<7k1ughtu3fv3lg6ueq3k2jcu3ttbd1tvup@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=278&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#278

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:02:33 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 07:02 UTC

On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:11:42 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley
<fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote as underneath :

Snip

>and on a related note, I noticed in a different branch of Lidl that they
>are selling a Parkside "inverter" and on the side of the (disturbingly
>small) box it says that theres a TIG torch included.
>
>I dont work for Lidl and I am not recommending it, but once again it
>costs nothing to look ....

Can't see any reference to that inverter/welder on the current Lidl UK
website..

Re: auto darkening helmets

<lyy1v4khs9.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=279&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#279

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:12:54 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 07:12 UTC

saw those yesterday - autodarkener and inverter.
Think there were a couple of inverter models.
One inverter is 80A (85A?) so up to 2.5mm rods only.
Presumably output is DC (inverters are, after rectifying back from
something like 100kHz internally), so that could be 7018 which is
penetrative and there's nothing like "stick" (SMAW) for sound fusion
on thick sections with otherwise infeasibly small currents.

Re: auto darkening helmets

<ten266$1oam9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=280&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#280

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:21:42 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 07:21 UTC

On 31/08/2022 08:02, Charlie+ wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:11:42 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley
> <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote as underneath :
>
> Snip
>>

>> and on a related note, I noticed in a different branch of Lidl that they
>> are selling a Parkside "inverter" and on the side of the (disturbingly
>> small) box it says that theres a TIG torch included.
>>
>> I dont work for Lidl and I am not recommending it, but once again it
>> costs nothing to look ....
>
> Can't see any reference to that inverter/welder on the current Lidl UK
> website..

I can assure you they were there.

I was in the store yesterday and noticed that there is also a smaller
inverter model without the TIG torch which only goes up to 80 amps.

Next time I am in there I will see if I can remember to take a note of
the product numbers - and get the price of the smaller one.

In the meantime you could amuse yourself by looking at :

https://customer-service.lidl.co.uk/SelfServiceUK/s/global-search/%40uri?language=en_GB#q=parkside%20inverter%20welder&tab=allContent

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: auto darkening helmets

<ten3oa$1ofio$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=281&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#281

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:48:26 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 07:48 UTC

> Presumably output is DC ?

would be very surprised if not - offering AC appears to double the cost
of TIG welders

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: auto darkening helmets

<ly35dcra49.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=282&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#282

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:16:38 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 10:16 UTC

Abandoned_Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> writes:

> I can assure you they were there.

Yup, I'll second that - in the wire stillages in the centre isle of
Lidl stores.

Re: auto darkening helmets

<lywnaopvgr.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=283&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#283

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:18:28 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 10:18 UTC

If you "miss" something when on offer in stores, can sometimes get
them mail-order from the Lidl website / warehouse (also think of
Aldi).

Re: auto darkening helmets

<teo9n9$1smic$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=284&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#284

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 19:36:24 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:36 UTC

On 05/08/2022 20:12, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I dont know how many people on here are from the UK, but if you are
> you may like to know that Lidl are selling a very cheap auto darkening
> helmet.
>
> It's their own "Parkside" brand and it retails at £25.
>
> Even if they are no good as your main helmet, then it might be good as
> a backup or for tuition purposes.
>

> Costs nothing to look ....

A neighbour of mine has a Lidl Parkside plasma cutter with built in
compressor and the first time he went to use it it went bang or pop and
the compressor kept running but the cutter wouldn't work. He had some
trouble initially getting in touch with the product support but got a
badly translated email and eventually a replacement plasma cutter but no
idea whether he has to send the faulty one back, he has the original
packaging just in case. Having the replacement which I think he hasn't
checked yet he opened up the original unit and the fault was obvious,
the 8mm push in connector to the compressor had failed, basically the
internals of the connector had failed under pressure like they hadn't
been swaged in and the hose, release ring,  barb ring and seal had been
ejected from the connector. Looks like a standard part and he's going to
try and remove the failed part and replace it, I may have a suitable
replacement if the original is 1/4" BSP or the equivalent G fitting. All
else internally looks well made but it should be interesting to get a
replacement connector and see if and how well it functions.

Re: auto darkening helmets

<teon3m$1u47c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=285&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#285

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:24:25 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 22:24 UTC

"David Billington" wrote in message news:teo9n9$1smic$1@dont-email.me...
On 05/08/2022 20:12, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

---------------------
Aldi Süd (it's German) does business as Aldi's and Trader Joe's in the USA.
AFAIK they sell only groceries here.

The local Dollar Tree discount store has many items dual labeled in French
for the Canadien market, so my vocabulary is slowly improving.

Re: auto darkening helmets

<tf1ksb$36csk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=286&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#286

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:42:01 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 07:42 UTC

> I can assure you they were there.
>
> I was in the store yesterday and noticed that there is also a smaller
> inverter model without the TIG torch which only goes up to 80 amps.
>
> Next time I am in there I will see if I can remember to take a note of
> the product numbers - and get the price of the smaller one.
>
> In the meantime you could amuse yourself by looking at :
>
> https://customer-service.lidl.co.uk/SelfServiceUK/s/global-search/%40uri?language=en_GB#q=parkside%20inverter%20welder&tab=allContent

Yesterdays visit to the "other" Lidl in town revealed it as the Parkside
PTMI-180A1 retailing at £149.99 - Lidl stock number 389213.

I should have mentioned in the original post that its fitted with one of
those 16A round pin plugs and not the normal 13A variety.

The customer service link which I quoted above doesn't seem to be
working properly this morning, but there might be some opinions on the
beast on the forum at www.mig-welding.co.uk

--
random signature text inserted here