How many chunks could checkchunk check if checkchunk could check chunks? -- Alan Cox

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon

SubjectAuthor
* Allways a number in corner of Google Maps iconmicky
+* Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps iconAndy Burns
|+- Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps iconAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps iconmicky
`- Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps iconVanguardLH

1
Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon

<lussugthj8j5n4arinvhrel42ne8mf1dem@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26900&group=comp.mobile.android#26900

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 04:43:09 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:43 UTC

I can't remember what one should call the numbers in the upper-
right-hand corner of icons. They are like notifications but they
aren't called that.

Every day, every time I look, I have one from Google maps, even though
the most I've done is look at a map on the PC. I don't need to be
reminded of that later, and furthermore, when I do go to GMaps after I
see the number in the corner, it just shows where I am now, which is at
home. I know I'm home!

Do ou know how I can stop this, so if there is ever anything important,
it will stand out?

Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon

<j57eocFr5fuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26901&group=comp.mobile.android#26901

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:52:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:52 UTC

micky wrote:

> I can't remember what one should call the numbers in the upper-
> right-hand corner of icons.

badges?

> They are like notifications but they
> aren't called that.
>
> Every day, every time I look, I have one from Google maps, even though
> the most I've done is look at a map on the PC. I don't need to be
> reminded of that later, and furthermore, when I do go to GMaps after I
> see the number in the corner, it just shows where I am now, which is at
> home. I know I'm home!
>
> Do ou know how I can stop this, so if there is ever anything important,
> it will stand out?

if you don't want *any* notifications from gmaps, you should be able to mute
them under apps.

Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon

<ssmnbt$uv9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26907&group=comp.mobile.android#26907

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:24:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:24 UTC

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:52:58 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

>> Do ou know how I can stop this, so if there is ever anything important,
>> it will stand out?
>
> if you don't want *any* notifications from gmaps, you should be able to mute
> them under apps.

Global homescreen turn badges on or off?
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxWn5rv/badges01.jpg>

Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon

<tb2uug1vk3asf6b8caltaibg5n3mn6bog9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26911&group=comp.mobile.android#26911

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:34:55 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:34 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:52:58 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I can't remember what one should call the numbers in the upper-
>> right-hand corner of icons.
>
>badges?

Yeah, that's the word. Now I get it. They're on the left chest, like a
sheriff wears. Now I should be able to remember the word.

>> They are like notifications but they
>> aren't called that.
>>
>> Every day, every time I look, I have one from Google maps, even though
>> the most I've done is look at a map on the PC. I don't need to be
>> reminded of that later, and furthermore, when I do go to GMaps after I
>> see the number in the corner, it just shows where I am now, which is at
>> home. I know I'm home!
>>
>> Do ou know how I can stop this, so if there is ever anything important,
>> it will stand out?
>
>if you don't want *any* notifications from gmaps, you should be able to mute
>them under apps.

I feared that would stop notifications I wanted, mostly when I send
Directions from the webpage to the phone.

It got easier and harder to fix this.

I think I figured out the daily badges come because people are
commenting on a review I made of UPS. I've made other reviews of obscure
locations that might get a couple comments, but UPS is big and lots of
people see it. UPS is not a destination so those badges don't point to
a map, so there is nothing specific on the map and the map of where I am
at the moment shows up.

GMaps gave a way to turn just those off.
But the same screen gave Advanced, and that gave Turn off Notifications.
When I did that, I no longer got my favorite form of Directions***

But then I found App Infor for Gmaps that led to Notification settings
for GMap and there are 5 screens of questions. You can turn them all off
or just various categories.
If you turn off Q&A and Messages, that seems to include "Responses to
questions you asked businesses in maps". Well, if I asked I want to
know about answers.
If you turn off Recommendations for You notifiications, that seems to
include "Order Pickup. Get updates on order status"
If you turn off Maps Features notifications, that seems to include
Navigation Urgent Updates, even though they are urgent.
If you turn off Locations and Profile notifications, that includes
Location Sharing (friends). I guess that is when *other* people notify
me where they are, not the reverse, and no one does that, but I don't
think I get any notifications in this cat egory. so the one I can turn
off does not matter anyhow.

I guess I'll just hope that today it told me which kind of notification
it was, and hope I turned it off, and hope if there are others, it will
tell me which category they are in and I'll be able to turn t hat off
without other stuff I want.

***there used to be two, now t here are 3 ways to send Directions to
your phone. Email (which is unaffected by this), Text (probably also),
and an image of an arrow headed to a phone with the name of the phone.
I like the last. The phone beeps and a wide notification bubble opens
for 3 or 4 seconds. Disappears but it's still there if I swipe down.

Thanks Andy and Andy.

Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon

<lbv08zsxd9sd.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26934&group=comp.mobile.android#26934

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:59:01 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 05:59 UTC

micky wrote:

> I can't remember what one should call the numbers in the upper-
> right-hand corner of icons. They are like notifications but they
> aren't called that.

Badges.

For me on my phone (navigation likely differs from your phone), I do to
Android settings -> General -> Apps & Notificiations -> App Info -> pick
the Maps app -> App notifications -> Icon badge: on/off.

That is for the badge for an individual app. You can also turn off
badges for all apps; see:

https://www.addictivetips.com/android/how-to-enable-or-disable-notification-badges-for-apps-on-android/

I have a lot of the "features" disabled in the Google Maps app:
- Maps app menu -> Settings -> Personal Content: all toggles are Off.
- Maps app menu -> Settings -> Notifications: all off.
I don't need the Maps app telling a bunch of crap other than when using
it to find some place.

> Every day, every time I look, I have one from Google maps, even though
> the most I've done is look at a map on the PC. I don't need to be
> reminded of that later, and furthermore, when I do go to GMaps after I
> see the number in the corner, it just shows where I am now, which is at
> home. I know I'm home!

Have you downloaded any offline maps? Those get updated, so maybe the
badge is to tell you there was an update to an offline map.

Did you not end a map nav you started? That is, you got directions, you
started a map nav session, but you didn't close it at the end?

In addition, the personal content and notifications mentioned above
could issue notifications as badges. When the Maps app has a badge, and
when you open the Maps apps, nothing is presented to you?

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Allways a number in corner of Google Maps icon