"Bite off, dirtball." Richard Sexton, richard@gryphon.COM

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Where is GPS location calculated?

SubjectAuthor
* Where is GPS location calculeted?micky
+* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Andy Burnelli
|`* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Rob
| `* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Rob
|  +* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Andy Burnelli
|  |`* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Rob
|  | `* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Andy Burnelli
|  |  `- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Rob
|  `* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Piet
|   `* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Andy Burnelli
|    `* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Rob
|     +- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Andy Burnelli
|     `* Re: Where is GPS location calculated?NY
|      +* Re: Where is GPS location calculated?Carlos E.R.
|      |`* Re: Where is GPS location calculated?NY
|      | `- Re: Where is GPS location calculated?Carlos E.R.
|      +- Re: Where is GPS location calculated?Andy Burnelli
|      `* Re: Where is GPS location calculated?Rob
|       `* Re: Where is GPS location calculated?Andy Burnelli
|        `* Re: Where is GPS location calculated?Hergen Lehmann
|         `- Re: Where is GPS location calculated?Andy Burnelli
+- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?nospam
+* Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?R.Wieser
|`- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Andy Burnelli
+- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Hergen Lehmann
+- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?John McGaw
+- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Carlos E.R.
`- Re: Where is GPS location calculeted?Alan

Pages:12
Re: Where is GPS location calculated?

<nqk8ci-himv3.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27004&group=comp.mobile.android#27004

From: hlehmann...@snafu.de (Hergen Lehmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Where is GPS location calculated?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 20:42:47 +0100
 by: Hergen Lehmann - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:42 UTC

Am 26.01.22 um 18:44 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:45:42 +0100, Rob wrote:
>
>> when you drive systematically 3m alongside
>> a road, the app considers that "driving on the road", and adjusts
>> the calculated position to one that is on the road.
>
> Do we know for certain that this "snap to track" is truly the case with any
> of the vehicular mapping apps?

It is a very common practice, because otherwise these apps would fail
badly in dense urban areas, where the GPS accuracy is simple not enough
to decide which road you're on.

There *has* to be some logic in a vehicle navigation app, which decides
"well, he drove on the highway the whole time, so he likely still is on
the highway and did not teleport to the city street right beside it,
although the current GPS coordinates suggest the latter".

But of course, there is no rule without exceptions. Some developer might
have come up with a different, ingenious idea. And some software
companies might just don't care about user experience, as long as the ad
revenue is coming in.

Re: Where is GPS location calculated?

<sssfc7$2gb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27011&group=comp.mobile.android#27011

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:44:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:44 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 20:42:47 +0100, Hergen Lehmann wrote:

> It is a very common practice, because otherwise these apps would fail
> badly in dense urban areas, where the GPS accuracy is simple not enough
> to decide which road you're on.
>
> There *has* to be some logic in a vehicle navigation app, which decides
> "well, he drove on the highway the whole time, so he likely still is on
> the highway and did not teleport to the city street right beside it,
> although the current GPS coordinates suggest the latter".
>
> But of course, there is no rule without exceptions. Some developer might
> have come up with a different, ingenious idea. And some software
> companies might just don't care about user experience, as long as the ad
> revenue is coming in.

What you say makes a lot of sense; otherwise we'd be jumping from road to
road when they closely parallel each other (and we'd often end up in the
nearby lakes and housing developments too!).

I'd love for _more_ apps to take into account those tracking abilities.
For example, for my default mock location spoofer, I use this app.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps>

While I like that Lexa will randomly move x distance in y time, I would love
if it had the ability to _track_ along a roadway like the navigation apps
do.

Tracking along a given road would be a more accurate spoofing than just
random movements of twenty feet westward every thirty seconds or so.

Re: Where is GPS location calculated?

<et09ci-m4t.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27013&group=comp.mobile.android#27013

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 00:09:02 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 23:09 UTC

On 26/01/2022 15.15, NY wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Sadly Viewranger was bought out by another company who have their
>>> own (much inferior) application which requires online access for
>>> OS maps, and which cannot use OSM for greater detail. And the new
>>> company will actually forcibly disable Viewranger in February.
>>> Such is progress. The Viewranger users are furious because people
>>> have paid a lot of money in the past for the right to use the OS
>>> maps and expected it to be forever more, not disabled at the whim
>>> of the (new) owner of Viewranger.
>>
>> Oh, crumbs.
>>
>> Thanks for the info, I have Viewranger installed but used it
>> little. I was considering registering one day.
>>
>> It says it is called now Outdooractive, and wants me to update or
>> change app.
>
> Yes, I first had the introductory nagging message yesterday. I knew
> the change was coming because my wife (whose email was used to create
> the Viewranger account many years ago, before we even had Android
> phones) had emails a few months ago saying that OutdoorActive had
> taken over Viewranger, and later to say that they planned to close
> down Viewranger by forcibly disabling it on devices where it was
> installed. We've decided to keep one iPad tablet with auto-updating
> disabled in an attempt to stop this happening.

AFAIK, at least on Android, we can not lock updates on one app. Maybe
download the package separately, and store it? If it gets uninstalled,
install again from backup. Is that practical?

> We are assessing other
> options. The general consensus on Viewranger forums is that Outdoor
> Active is not yet good enough to be released - it crashes too easily
> and omits important features that Viewranger has. There are other
> similar programs (I'm not sure what: my wife has done most of the
> research) which at least allow tracks to be overlaid on Ordnance
> Survey maps, but the best one has a licensing restriction that an
> up-front cost for the maps only allows you to access them online; if
> you also want offline access (for when you're out of range of wifi or
> mobile internet) you need to keep paying a subscription rather than a
> single up-front cost. But then that's the way that software
> licensing seems to be going :-(
>
> If I have any further info, I'll post to this thread or at least to a
> new thread in this group.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Where is GPS location calculated?