From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Nature plant, bird, animal & mushroom identification apps
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 02:33:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 02:33 UTC

Given Usenet is a team sport, where we all help each other, I ask...
What local plant, bird, animal, and mushroom identification apps do you use?

In my "Nature" folder I wanted to add good plant, bird, animal & mushroom
identification apps, so that they'd be available if and when I need them.

Searching Aurora for 4+ rated, 100K+ downloads, free, google free, gsf free,
ad free & login free apps found some of the following (where in some cases I
opened the search to GSF apps & those with a 3+ rating when few were found).

Since some of the apps use the GPS to figure out local species, I spoofed
the GPS before running them for the initial test, and I deleted any app that
asked for a login or played any shenanigan in the first minute of use.

Most apps require the Internet at least temporarily (to download the
database, for example, or to submit a bird call for expert analysis);
but some of these login-free apps work completely offline thereafter.

After just running each app once with a one-strike-you're-out policy,
here's the short list I came up with after testing each app for a minute.

Two mushroom identification apps:
*Shroomify - USA Mushroom Identification* by Foragers Friend
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mushroom.shroomify>

*Mushroomizer* by Milandroid
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=my.tensorflow.lite.examples.classification>

Two bird identification apps:
*BirdNET: Bird sound identification* by Stefan Kahl
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tu_chemnitz.mi.kahst.birdnet>

*OrnitO* by Dominik M. Ramik
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ornito.dominicweb.eu>

Two plant identification apps:
*Pocket Flora* by giletvin
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.flore>

*Blossom - Plant Identification* by Conceptiv Apps
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conceptivapps.blossom>

Below are two generic animals, plants, birds (& sounds), & fungi
identification apps (but I wouldn't use them until the above are tested):
*BioGuide - World Field Guide* by Jan Vrsovsky (limited to 2 databases)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bioguideapp>
[The freeware is limited to two databases which you get to choose.]

*Bird Songs: Ringtones* by Dream_Studio
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dream_studio.birdsongsringtones>
[This doesn't identify so much as play it for your ears to match.]

Obviously this is just a short list, and there's much testing to be done.

Given I'm just starting this search, it would help me and others if you've
already have experience with such types of biological identification apps.

What local plant, bird, animal, and mushroom identification apps do you use?

computers / comp.mobile.android / Nature plant, bird, animal & mushroom identification apps