From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Tutorial: How to create your own platform portable ID card barcode
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:44:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:44 UTC

Tutorial: *How to create your own platform portable ID card barcode*.

BACKGROUND:
A few minutes ago, Steve posted a thread on how to save a custom barcode
into your Apple/Google/Samsung/etc, pay wallet on both Android & iPhones.
*How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc.*
*to Apple Wallet and Google Pay*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/EE71jVFFHzk>

Almost everything in that thread was foreign to me, not only in that I'd
never use a smartphone-based payment system, but also in that there are a
plethora of barcode-generation formats that each app needs to support.

Given my goal would be a _cross-platform_ solution (it's what I love) that
works on Windows, Linux, and Android (we always do iOS later for reasons we
can get into later if people care which they don't).

This tutorial is the result of about fifteen minutes of work which started
from that helpful background thread from Steve, but whose goal is a
*Portable*
*Encrypted*
*Wallet*

Where the goal, at least initially (since this is all new to me) is:
*Portable* === Windows, Linux, Android (and later, iOS)
*Encrypted* === TrueCrypt/Veracrypt/LUKS/EncFS
*Wallet* === that encrypted file can be copied to _all_ your devices

Given I've _never_ done any of this, I'm posting this to first help others,
but even more so, I'm hopeful many others out there will know a lot more
than I do (since all this is less than a half hour old for me) to improve
our capabilities for a portable encrypted wallet even further than I did.

My first test generating a Costco barcode (in png, jpg, and webp formats):
1. On Android, I used the FOSS Google Play Store app replacement Aurora to
search for a free, ad-free, google-free, gsf-free oft-downloaded
highly rated barcode generator app, & found as the top hit this app:
*Barcode Generator*, by Aeiou (4.4 rated)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>

2. I started the app, pressed the red plus button & scanned my Costco card,
which read in and identified the barcode format as EAN-13, and then I hit
the app export button which gave me choices of where on main or secondary
storage to export the {png,jpg,webp} file, the font, and the desired
colors (background and foreground), fonts, and the desired image size
(default is 800x800 with options for 107,214,428,400,800 * 1600 px).

The result was found in the (user settable) default directory of
/storage/emulated/0/download/1234567890123.{png,jpg,webp}

3. I then moved that image file into my encrypted portable file container,
which can be copied to any common platform that I own for future use.
*EDS Lite* by sovworks <http://www.sovworks.com/>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.sovworks.edslite/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.edslite>

That container file is the same format as the following (AFAIK) on a PC.
VeraCrypt <https://veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html> <=== I recommend this one
TrueCrypt <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt>
LUKS <https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup>
EncFS <https://github.com/vgough/encfs/>

I don't know of a free iOS encrypted file container app; so if
you know of a free one, please let us know so that all benefit
from your knowledge (which helps makes this solution available to all).

4. Optionally, if you don't have a card to scan, you can easily scan an
image on your device of that card; or, if you simply have the digits,
you can easily manually enter the 13 digits to create the EAN-13 file.

Note that many barcode formats are supported, where this tutorial only
tested the EAN-13 format (but most (all?) should work, shouldn't they?)
Of course the real world test is whether this encrypted portable wallet
image will work when I next go to the Costco self-checkout, where Steve
noted all Costco needs is a correct number in the correct EAN-13 format.

As always, since Usenet is a team sport, please improve where you can
(the goal being that everyone can benefit from every post in every thread).
--
Note that I have only spent about 30 minutes on this stuff so others should
be able to vastly improve on the steps I came up with on my own above.

See also:
*Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/HZSQT6aqdIw>

Re: Tutorial: How to create your own platform portable ID card barcode

<stkhid$que$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27381&group=comp.mobile.android#27381

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:49:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:49 UTC

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:44:35 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Tutorial: *How to create your own platform portable ID card barcode*.

Auuuurrrrrggggghhhh. Forgot to correct the title of the tutorial.

Please ignore this thread in favor of the subsequent correctly titled thread:

*Tutorial: How to create your own platform-portable ID card encrypted wallet*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/IsvWoLPw9pc>

computers / comp.mobile.android / Tutorial: How to create your own platform portable ID card barcode