From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: New X series Nokia phones
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 08:45:03 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 14:45 UTC

Dan wrote:

> I see on YouTube new Nokia X series.
> No release date.
> I emailed Nokia UK.
> They do not know when these phones are going to be released.
> I like the Nokia X50 Pro. But when it is going to available in the UK?

If Nokia UK doesn't know, and there has been no official announcement of
release to the UK market, not sure how anyone here would know, either.
If the phone is a flop with no penetration in the Indian market, it's
not likely to show up elsewhere. Due to population density (3 times the
USA), very low labor costs with salaries a twelfth of USA, and 48-hour
standard work week, assembly (not manufacture) in India is cheap. I
didn't bother looking up India vs China.

There are also supply issues. Reduction in chip availability can
further delay release into other markets. For example:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/semiconductor-chip-shortage-forced-firms-to-curtail-production-eco-survey/articleshow/89243311.cms
https://www.asiafinancial.com/chips-crisis-forces-reliance-and-google-to-delay-india-smartphone-launch
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/india-unveils-10-bln-plan-woo-semiconductor-display-makers-2021-12-15/

Re: New X series Nokia phones

<stm7nk$u5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27421&group=comp.mobile.android#27421

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 08:13:40 -0800
 by: sms - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 16:13 UTC

On 2/5/2022 6:45 AM, VanguardLH wrote:

<snip>

> There are also supply issues. Reduction in chip availability can
> further delay release into other markets. For example:
>
> https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/semiconductor-chip-shortage-forced-firms-to-curtail-production-eco-survey/articleshow/89243311.cms
> https://www.asiafinancial.com/chips-crisis-forces-reliance-and-google-to-delay-india-smartphone-launch
> https://www.reuters.com/world/china/india-unveils-10-bln-plan-woo-semiconductor-display-makers-2021-12-15/
Having worked for a semiconductor company for many years, when there is
a shortage of fab capacity you use your available capacity for the most
profitable chips and those are probably not the chips going into low-end
phones. That's unless the chips for low-end phones are using an older
process technology for which there is sufficient capacity. Right now,
5nm capacity is at a premium, see
<https://www.techradar.com/news/tsmc-5nm-chip-bad-news>.

Re: New X series Nokia phones

<stmsi1$gas$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27446&group=comp.mobile.android#27446

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 22:09:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 22:09 UTC

On Sat, 05 Feb 2022 15:46:22 +0000, Dan wrote:

> Then they have lost their competitive edge - no bloat Android with
> quick regular patches.
> This will be a very - very bad decision if Nokia does not get its head
> out of the ground and
> do something.

It's hard to tell whether you should blame Nokia for not telling you or
yourself for not understanding that the vast majority of Android is updated
independently of the security patches and Android version.

How long does GOOGLE say they'll update the two dozen core modules
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/_ZUiLVtLbsg

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: New X series Nokia phones