From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: Ali GMAW - defect rates - spray, pulse
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:53:43 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 07:53 UTC

Hi
Plea for real experience information.
Thicker Ali at above about 130A.
Probably wire-feed-speed at or above 10m/min (394ipm)
Thinking of marine-grade 5000-series Al-Mg, but experience of other
grades would apply regarding this question.
For welds, compare / contrast:

* spray-transfer/smooth-run
^
* Pulse-mode/stepped-progression

Or any comparison of spray/Pulse modes and of smooth/stepping
progression.

Flaw and defect rates, please.
This would be by radiography (x-ray) and mechanical test (strength
alone will reveal everything important about Ali?).

Here in UK we have an orthodoxy about which process / approach must be
used.
Defect rates are / can-be high.
Which surely simply cannot be the case universally???
Unfortunately I have not been able to test the welds I trust the most.

Thanks in advance,
Rich Smith

Re: Ali GMAW - defect rates - spray, pulse

<lya67r3vsg.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=276&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#276

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: Re: Ali GMAW - defect rates - spray, pulse
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 15:48:47 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 14:48 UTC

10m/min - that's with 1.2mm wire...