I've looked at the listing, and it's right! -- Joel Halpern

computers / comp.mobile.android / Yo, Carlos!

SubjectAuthor
* Yo, Carlos!The Real Bev
+- Re: Yo, Carlos!Ken Blake
+* Re: Yo, Carlos!Carlos E. R.
|`* Re: Yo, Carlos!The Real Bev
| +- Re: Yo, Carlos!nospam
| +* Re: Yo, Carlos!Ken Blake
| |+* Re: Yo, Carlos!The Real Bev
| ||`- Re: Yo, Carlos!sms
| |`* Re: Yo, Carlos!Carlos E.R.
| | `- Re: Yo, Carlos!Ken Blake
| +* Re: Yo, Carlos!John B.
| |`* OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!The Real Bev
| | `* Re: OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!John B.
| |  `- Re: OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!The Real Bev
| `- Re: Yo, Carlos!Carlos E.R.
`- Re: Yo, Carlos!VanguardLH

1
Yo, Carlos!

<su6j5g$6nk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27832&group=comp.mobile.android#27832

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Yo, Carlos!
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:06:54 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:06 UTC

I have a question about Spanish food. Mexican and Asian food relies on
hot spices, but French and Italian doesn't. What about Spanish food?
The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish...

--
Cheers, Bev
"We need to cut more slack for the stupid; after all, somebody has

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<qgkd0hhuhrvapkpu53rcv70nntp0gdaju0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27833&group=comp.mobile.android#27833

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Yo, Carlos!
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 14:19:01 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:19 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:06:54 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a question about Spanish food. Mexican and Asian food relies on
>hot spices,

Some dishes do and some don't.

> but French and Italian doesn't.

Some dishes do and some don't.

> What about Spanish food?

Some dishes do and some don't.

>The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish

There are many varieties of paella. Perhaps some of them have fish,
but I don't know of any. Varieties with seafood are common, but as
far as I know, not fish. And some varieties don't even have seafood.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<j6o2iiFlf2pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27835&group=comp.mobile.android#27835

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:25:37 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:25 UTC

On 11/02/2022 22.06, The Real Bev wrote:
> I have a question about Spanish food.  Mexican and Asian food relies on
> hot spices, but French and Italian doesn't.  What about Spanish food?
> The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish...

:-D

No, we don't use hot spices. A bit of pepper.

For example, chorizo can be bought sweet or spicy, which is just mildly hot.

However, there are things like the Padrón peppers, which some are hot
and some not (a popular saying: pimientos de Padrón, unos pican y otros
non ("non" it is not Spanish but Galician → "Pementos de Padrón, uns
pican e outros non"))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padr%C3%B3n_peppers

About the paella, it is almost a restricted denomination. There is a
variety of paella without seafood (except squid), but some refuse to
call it paella and say "rice with things", which is the one I like. If
it is a group lunch, I pass the sea food to my table neighbours, which
accept delighted :-D

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<su6qrh$s2m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27838&group=comp.mobile.android#27838

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:18:08 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:18 UTC

On 02/11/2022 01:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 11/02/2022 22.06, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I have a question about Spanish food. Mexican and Asian food relies on
>> hot spices, but French and Italian doesn't. What about Spanish food?
>> The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish...
>
> No, we don't use hot spices. A bit of pepper.
>
> For example, chorizo can be bought sweet or spicy, which is just mildly hot.

Just what I wanted to know! I wonder what drives the taste for
painfully hot peppers... Machismo, of course, but I suspect it's more
than that. And more than covering up the taste of rotting food, too.

> However, there are things like the Padrón peppers, which some are hot
> and some not (a popular saying: pimientos de Padrón, unos pican y otros
> non ("non" it is not Spanish but Galician → "Pementos de Padrón, uns
> pican e outros non"))
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padr%C3%B3n_peppers
>
> About the paella, it is almost a restricted denomination. There is a
> variety of paella without seafood (except squid), but some refuse to
> call it paella and say "rice with things", which is the one I like. If
> it is a group lunch, I pass the sea food to my table neighbours, which
> accept delighted :-D

If it swims, it sucks. Exceptions for shrimp and scallops and maybe
halibut -- which at best has no taste at all -- it used to be cheap, but
not any more. Tuna (canned, of course) is OK, but it needs other
ingredients to cover up the possible fishy taste. Imitation crab is
good, but the real stuff isn't. I had lobster thermidor once when I was
very young, which I liked, but since then it's been undesirable.

Our Japanese friend hosted his anglo friends and made an early-morning
trip to the San Pedro fish market to get the VERY freshest fish (unknown
variety) to feed us. He needn't have bothered, although I was polite.
The best I could say about it was that it didn't taste like fish. Or
anything else. Apparently my gourmet credentials are somewhat lacking.

--
Cheers,Bev
"It is a matter of regret that many low, mean suspicions

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<110220221822040421%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27839&group=comp.mobile.android#27839

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 18:22:04 -0500
 by: nospam - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:22 UTC

In article <su6qrh$s2m$1@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tuna (canned, of course)

yuck. fresh tuna is *much* better.

> is OK, but it needs other
> ingredients to cover up the possible fishy taste.

tuna is a fish, so it's more than just a possible fishy taste.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<f6sd0hhinont4h7a1dh55uhv5q9bff7np0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27840&group=comp.mobile.android#27840

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 16:48:14 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 23:48 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:18:08 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 02/11/2022 01:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 11/02/2022 22.06, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I have a question about Spanish food. Mexican and Asian food relies on
>>> hot spices, but French and Italian doesn't. What about Spanish food?
>>> The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish...
>>
>> No, we don't use hot spices. A bit of pepper.
>>
>> For example, chorizo can be bought sweet or spicy, which is just mildly hot.
>
>Just what I wanted to know! I wonder what drives the taste for
>painfully hot peppers... Machismo, of course, but I suspect it's more
>than that. And more than covering up the taste of rotting food, too.
>
>> However, there are things like the Padrón peppers, which some are hot
>> and some not (a popular saying: pimientos de Padrón, unos pican y otros
>> non ("non" it is not Spanish but Galician → "Pementos de Padrón, uns
>> pican e outros non"))
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padr%C3%B3n_peppers
>>
>> About the paella, it is almost a restricted denomination. There is a
>> variety of paella without seafood (except squid), but some refuse to
>> call it paella and say "rice with things", which is the one I like. If
>> it is a group lunch, I pass the sea food to my table neighbours, which
>> accept delighted :-D
>
>If it swims, it sucks. Exceptions for shrimp and scallops and maybe
>halibut -- which at best has no taste at all -- it used to be cheap, but
>not any more. Tuna (canned, of course) is OK,

It's interesting how different we all are. I like fresh tuna, but I
hate canned tuna...

> but it needs other
>ingredients to cover up the possible fishy taste. Imitation crab is
>good, but the real stuff isn't.

....and I like real crab, and hate the imitation.

>I had lobster thermidor once when I was
>very young, which I liked, but since then it's been undesirable.

Lobster is one of my favorite foods.

>Our Japanese friend hosted his anglo friends and made an early-morning
>trip to the San Pedro fish market to get the VERY freshest fish (unknown
>variety) to feed us. He needn't have bothered, although I was polite.
>The best I could say about it was that it didn't taste like fish. Or
>anything else. Apparently my gourmet credentials are somewhat lacking.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<su6v9n$j7b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27843&group=comp.mobile.android#27843

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 16:33:59 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 00:33 UTC

On 02/11/2022 03:48 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:18:08 -0800, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, we don't use hot spices. A bit of pepper.
>>>
>>> For example, chorizo can be bought sweet or spicy, which is just mildly hot.
>>
>>Just what I wanted to know! I wonder what drives the taste for
>>painfully hot peppers... Machismo, of course, but I suspect it's more
>>than that. And more than covering up the taste of rotting food, too.
>>
>>> However, there are things like the Padrón peppers, which some are hot
>>> and some not (a popular saying: pimientos de Padrón, unos pican y otros
>>> non ("non" it is not Spanish but Galician → "Pementos de Padrón, uns
>>> pican e outros non"))
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padr%C3%B3n_peppers
>>>
>>> About the paella, it is almost a restricted denomination. There is a
>>> variety of paella without seafood (except squid), but some refuse to
>>> call it paella and say "rice with things", which is the one I like. If
>>> it is a group lunch, I pass the sea food to my table neighbours, which
>>> accept delighted :-D
>>
>>If it swims, it sucks. Exceptions for shrimp and scallops and maybe
>>halibut -- which at best has no taste at all -- it used to be cheap, but
>>not any more. Tuna (canned, of course) is OK,
>
> It's interesting how different we all are. I like fresh tuna, but I
> hate canned tuna...

The Costco solid albacore is OK. Everything else is floor sweepings.

>> but it needs other
>>ingredients to cover up the possible fishy taste. Imitation crab is
>>good, but the real stuff isn't.
>
> ...and I like real crab, and hate the imitation.

The imitation has an interesting texture and doesn't seem fishy.
Albertson's (since closed) used to have good 'krab' salad, which we liked.

>>I had lobster thermidor once when I was
>>very young, which I liked, but since then it's been undesirable.
>
> Lobster is one of my favorite foods.

My grandson likes it too.

You clearly LIKE fish/seafood. I hate it, but I will defend to the
death your right....

>>Our Japanese friend hosted his anglo friends and made an early-morning
>>trip to the San Pedro fish market to get the VERY freshest fish (unknown
>>variety) to feed us. He needn't have bothered, although I was polite.
>>The best I could say about it was that it didn't taste like fish. Or
>>anything else. Apparently my gourmet credentials are somewhat lacking.

Burgers, in order: In N Out, Burger King, Carl's Jr, everything else...
but McD has the best fries. No idea why In N Out can't get them right.
'Regular' is just cooked potatoes and 'well done' is like the 'french
fries' that come in a can, sort of like long skinny potato chips.

--
Cheers, Bev
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<qr2e0h90kbjd92b4c0vhjb38fjrq2kipgf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27844&group=comp.mobile.android#27844

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 08:30:21 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 01:30 UTC

<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 02/11/2022 01:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 11/02/2022 22.06, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I have a question about Spanish food. Mexican and Asian food relies on
>>> hot spices, but French and Italian doesn't. What about Spanish food?
>>> The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish...
>>
>> No, we don't use hot spices. A bit of pepper.
>>
>> For example, chorizo can be bought sweet or spicy, which is just mildly hot.
>
>Just what I wanted to know! I wonder what drives the taste for
>painfully hot peppers... Machismo, of course, but I suspect it's more
>than that. And more than covering up the taste of rotting food, too.

I live in Thailand where "hot" food is the norm and noticeably it is
the Ladies that eat the really hot stuff.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<12azqg94ccoos$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27847&group=comp.mobile.android#27847

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:35:54 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 01:35 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> I have a question about Spanish food. Mexican and Asian food relies on
> hot spices, but French and Italian doesn't. What about Spanish food?
> The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish...

Reminder: When starting a discussion that is off-topic to the newsgroup,
please prefix your Subject header with "Off-Topic:", "OT:", "O.T.:" or
other prefix that identifies your post is unrelated to the newsgroup.

OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!

<su7g99$4eb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27853&group=comp.mobile.android#27853

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:23:50 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 05:23 UTC

Sorry, Vanguard...

On 02/11/2022 05:30 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:18:08 -0800, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, we don't use hot spices. A bit of pepper.
>>>
>>> For example, chorizo can be bought sweet or spicy, which is just mildly hot.
>>
>>Just what I wanted to know! I wonder what drives the taste for
>>painfully hot peppers... Machismo, of course, but I suspect it's more
>>than that. And more than covering up the taste of rotting food, too.
>>
> I live in Thailand where "hot" food is the norm and noticeably it is
> the Ladies that eat the really hot stuff.

My Taiwanese friend loves hot food. The good Thai place here offers
your choice of heat -- 1 to 10. The first time we went there she
thought she wanted 10. The waiter convinced her to try 6. She agreed
with his choice :-) I generally go for 2. Hubby used to eat the hot
oil (sesame oil and crushed red pepper) by the spoonful, but not any more.

<sigh> I think I remember when we used to go out to lunch. We sat at
tables and people brought food to us. If they brought too much they
packed it up in little boxes and we took it home. Was I dreaming?

--
Cheers, Bev
"You can make a signature quote seem authoritative by

Re: OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!

<63me0h12sjggon34t5osp3pli7v3pecjib@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27856&group=comp.mobile.android#27856

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 13:52:28 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 06:52 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:23:50 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry, Vanguard...
>
>On 02/11/2022 05:30 PM, John B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:18:08 -0800, The Real Bev
>> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Just what I wanted to know! I wonder what drives the taste for
>>>painfully hot peppers... Machismo, of course, but I suspect it's more
>>>than that. And more than covering up the taste of rotting food, too.
>>>
>> I live in Thailand where "hot" food is the norm and noticeably it is
>> the Ladies that eat the really hot stuff.
>
>My Taiwanese friend loves hot food. The good Thai place here offers
>your choice of heat -- 1 to 10. The first time we went there she
>thought she wanted 10. The waiter convinced her to try 6. She agreed
>with his choice :-) I generally go for 2. Hubby used to eat the hot
>oil (sesame oil and crushed red pepper) by the spoonful, but not any more.
>
><sigh> I think I remember when we used to go out to lunch. We sat at
>tables and people brought food to us. If they brought too much they
>packed it up in little boxes and we took it home. Was I dreaming?

Years ago, I saw a bottle of "Louisiana Hot Sauce" in a shop
specializing in imported food and bought my Thai wife a bottle. She
tried a spoon fill and commented that "Well, it tastes good, but it
isn't hot" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: OT -- Re: Yo, Carlos!

<su7pfe$d09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27860&group=comp.mobile.android#27860

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 00:00:46 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 08:00 UTC

On 02/11/2022 10:52 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:23:50 -0800, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Sorry, Vanguard...
>>
>>On 02/11/2022 05:30 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> I live in Thailand where "hot" food is the norm and noticeably it is
>>> the Ladies that eat the really hot stuff.
>>
>>My Taiwanese friend loves hot food. The good Thai place here offers
>>your choice of heat -- 1 to 10. The first time we went there she
>>thought she wanted 10. The waiter convinced her to try 6. She agreed
>>with his choice :-) I generally go for 2. Hubby used to eat the hot
>>oil (sesame oil and crushed red pepper) by the spoonful, but not any more.
>>
>><sigh> I think I remember when we used to go out to lunch. We sat at
>>tables and people brought food to us. If they brought too much they
>>packed it up in little boxes and we took it home. Was I dreaming?
>
> Years ago, I saw a bottle of "Louisiana Hot Sauce" in a shop
> specializing in imported food and bought my Thai wife a bottle. She
> tried a spoon fill and commented that "Well, it tastes good, but it
> isn't hot" :-)

McIlhenny's tabasco sauce, perhaps. https://www.tabasco.com/ Good stuff.

Current fairly-hot-but-not-too-hot sauce is made by a local company
called Huy Fong (after the ship that brought the founder to the US from
Viet Nam, apparently). They make only 3 products, all excellent.
"Rooster sauce" because of the illustration on the bottles. (Walmart
sells all 3 of them significantly cheaper than elsewhere -- when in
stock, of course.)

The original factory was maybe 15 miles from my house, but they expanded
into a nearby town whose main claim to fame is a lot of big gravel pits.
Some residents complained that the occasional smell of roasting
peppers was dangerous air pollution and made a stink :-) Apparently a
scrubber was installed and the problem went away. I have no proof that
bribery was part of the negotiation, but it seems possible.

Irwindale (the town -- nowhere near anything like a city) paid the
Raiders (big-name pro football team) a $million just to CONSIDER
building a stadium in one of the gravel pits. You can probably tell
where this is going...

They're now the Las Vegas Raiders.

--
Cheers, Bev
"In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<38qldi-lbv.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27882&group=comp.mobile.android#27882

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 23:51:15 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 22:51 UTC

On 2022-02-12 00:48, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:18:08 -0800, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/11/2022 01:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> On 11/02/2022 22.06, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> About the paella, it is almost a restricted denomination. There is a
>>> variety of paella without seafood (except squid), but some refuse to
>>> call it paella and say "rice with things", which is the one I like. If
>>> it is a group lunch, I pass the sea food to my table neighbours, which
>>> accept delighted :-D
>>
>> If it swims, it sucks. Exceptions for shrimp and scallops and maybe
>> halibut -- which at best has no taste at all -- it used to be cheap, but
>> not any more. Tuna (canned, of course) is OK,
>
> It's interesting how different we all are. I like fresh tuna, but I
> hate canned tuna...

I love canned tuna in olive oil. Spanish style.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<14qldi-lbv.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27883&group=comp.mobile.android#27883

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 23:49:05 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 22:49 UTC

On 2022-02-12 00:18, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 02/11/2022 01:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 11/02/2022 22.06, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I have a question about Spanish food.  Mexican and Asian food relies on
>>> hot spices, but French and Italian doesn't.  What about Spanish food?
>>> The only thing I know about is paella, but I hate any sort of fish...
>>
>> No, we don't use hot spices. A bit of pepper.
>>
>> For example, chorizo can be bought sweet or spicy, which is just
>> mildly hot.
>
> Just what I wanted to know!  I wonder what drives the taste for
> painfully hot peppers...  Machismo, of course, but I suspect it's more
> than that.  And more than covering up the taste of rotting food, too.

Spices were used for preservation. The search for them was what pushed
Colón to find a way to Asia, but found the Americas in the middle
blocking the way :-p

>> However, there are things like the Padrón peppers, which some are hot
>> and some not (a popular saying: pimientos de Padrón, unos pican y otros
>> non ("non" it is not Spanish but Galician → "Pementos de Padrón, uns
>> pican e outros non"))
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padr%C3%B3n_peppers
>>
>> About the paella, it is almost a restricted denomination. There is a
>> variety of paella without seafood (except squid), but some refuse to
>> call it paella and say "rice with things", which is the one I like. If
>> it is a group lunch, I pass the sea food to my table neighbours, which
>> accept delighted :-D
>
> If it swims, it sucks.  Exceptions for shrimp and scallops and maybe
> halibut -- which at best has no taste at all -- it used to be cheap, but
> not any more.  Tuna (canned, of course) is OK, but it needs other
> ingredients to cover up the possible fishy taste. Imitation crab is
> good, but the real stuff isn't.  I had lobster thermidor once when I was
> very young, which I liked, but since then it's been undesirable.
>
> Our Japanese friend hosted his anglo friends and made an early-morning
> trip to the San Pedro fish market to get the VERY freshest fish (unknown
> variety) to feed us.  He needn't have bothered, although I was polite.
> The best I could say about it was that it didn't taste like fish.  Or
> anything else.  Apparently my gourmet credentials are somewhat lacking.

:-DD

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<su9evv$403$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27886&group=comp.mobile.android#27886

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 15:14:04 -0800
 by: sms - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 23:14 UTC

On 2/11/2022 4:33 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> Burgers, in order:  In N Out, Burger King, Carl's Jr, everything else...
> but McD has the best fries.  No idea why In N Out can't get them right.
>  'Regular' is just cooked potatoes and 'well done' is like the 'french
> fries' that come in a can, sort of like long skinny potato chips.

In N Out is stubborn and just wants to deep fry fresh potatoes, freshly
sliced. McDonald's "fries" have a lot of other ingredients.

McDonalds: "Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil,
Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [wheat And Milk
Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (maintain Color),
Salt. *natural Beef Flavor Contains Hydrolyzed Wheat And Hydrolyzed Milk
As Starting Ingredients."

In N Out: "Potatoes, Salt and Cottonseed oil"

The problem with In N Out fries is that you have to eat them within a
few minutes of them being fried. They don't age well for take-out.

Re: Yo, Carlos!

<nkei0hlgon2l2670fmcvf87rbh4r0k4dha@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27906&group=comp.mobile.android#27906

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:07:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 17:07 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 23:51:15 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2022-02-12 00:48, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> If it swims, it sucks. Exceptions for shrimp and scallops and maybe
>>> halibut -- which at best has no taste at all -- it used to be cheap, but
>>> not any more. Tuna (canned, of course) is OK,
>>
>> It's interesting how different we all are. I like fresh tuna, but I
>> hate canned tuna...
>
>I love canned tuna in olive oil. Spanish style.

I don't love it, but at least it's edible, unlike the American canned
tuna in water.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Yo, Carlos!