Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

SubjectAuthor
* What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?micky
+- Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?Joerg Lorenz
+* Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?gtr
|+- Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?Joerg Lorenz
|`* Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?Carlos E.R.
| `- Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?micky
`- Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?sms

1
What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

<amt51hhj2jt3e5lunolo8hvnrve57t7i04@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28234&group=comp.mobile.android#28234

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 06:14:45 +0200
 by: micky - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 04:14 UTC

What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

When I learned about using + to indicate the international access code,
the same + regardless of what country you're in, I jumped to the
conclusion that this was meant to allow one to have only one entry in
his address book, for example +1-555-1212, and he'd be able to use the
same entry if he was outside the USA and needed the 1, or if he was in
the USA, where the software would basically ignore the 1, because he was
already there.

Did I jump to the wrong conclusion? Or does this work some countries
and not others? Most countries but not with a few?

If it doesnt' work at all, does one need to have two entries for
everyone? One for when he's in the same country the other party is in,
and one for when he's in any other country?

Becauase recently while not in the US I tried to call someone with + and
the country code, and I think the message was that the call could not be
completed as dialed**. But when I dialed it as if it were local, no +,
no country code, it worked. I guess the proof is in the pudding, but
if it doesn't work as I thought, I'm disappointed.

**(Meanwhile she couldn't reach me because she was using the first
number I sent her, which got changed by the cellular company a couple
days later, before I left home. So neither of us could call the other.
Thank goodness for email.)

Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

<suvd38$bel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28239&group=comp.mobile.android#28239

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 07:56:39 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 06:56 UTC

Am 21.02.22 um 05:14 schrieb micky:
> What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?
>
> When I learned about using + to indicate the international access code,
> the same + regardless of what country you're in, I jumped to the
> conclusion that this was meant to allow one to have only one entry in
> his address book, for example +1-555-1212, and he'd be able to use the
> same entry if he was outside the USA and needed the 1, or if he was in
> the USA, where the software would basically ignore the 1, because he was
> already there.
>
> Did I jump to the wrong conclusion? Or does this work some countries
> and not others? Most countries but not with a few?

It works with all countries around the globe.
Therefore it would be clever to always enter the whole international
number in the contacts. I live in small country and have friends and
relatives around the globe thats the reason why I'm used to that. It is
also needed to chat with friends overseas or abroad with most messengers.

> If it doesnt' work at all, does one need to have two entries for
> everyone? One for when he's in the same country the other party is in,
> and one for when he's in any other country?

One complet entry is sufficient. The phone network always take only what
they need to establish a connection.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

<sv1mq9$inl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28262&group=comp.mobile.android#28262

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 19:54:40 -0800
 by: gtr - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 03:54 UTC

On 2022-02-21 04:14:45 +0000, micky said:

> What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

Isn't + just telling the phone that a country code is to follow?
Instead of an area code?

Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

<sv2fel$47v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28270&group=comp.mobile.android#28270

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 11:55:17 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:55 UTC

Am 22.02.22 um 04:54 schrieb gtr:
> On 2022-02-21 04:14:45 +0000, micky said:
>
>> What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?
>
> Isn't + just telling the phone that a country code is to follow?
> Instead of an area code?

It is the equivalent of 00 that was used in the past. A double zero
still works AFAIK.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

<v9veei-7qq.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28273&group=comp.mobile.android#28273

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 12:50:55 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 11:50 UTC

On 2022-02-22 04:54, gtr wrote:
> On 2022-02-21 04:14:45 +0000, micky said:
>
>> What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?
>
> Isn't + just telling the phone that a country code is to follow?
> Instead of an area code?

Both.

It tells the software that a country codes follows, and that when
dialing it has to evaluate whether to add the international prefix.

Some people are wary because - well, I tried long ago to dial myself on
a land line using the international prefix, and I was billed an
international phone call :-D (bug!)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

<sv37sf$p9r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28279&group=comp.mobile.android#28279

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:52:15 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 17:52 UTC

On 2/20/2022 8:14 PM, micky wrote:
> What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

None.

Enter all your contacts like that so if you're traveling outside your
home country the numbers work.

Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?

<5qsf1hlkchcfirig7reem9qbldltsif3ts@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28328&group=comp.mobile.android#28328

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 23:09:25 +0200
 by: micky - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:09 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 22 Feb 2022 12:50:55 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2022-02-22 04:54, gtr wrote:
>> On 2022-02-21 04:14:45 +0000, micky said:
>>
>>> What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?
>>
>> Isn't + just telling the phone that a country code is to follow?
>> Instead of an area code?
>
>Both.
>
>It tells the software that a country codes follows, and that when
>dialing it has to evaluate whether to add the international prefix.
>

>Some people are wary because - well, I tried long ago to dial myself on
>a land line using the international prefix, and I was billed an
>international phone call :-D (bug!)

LOL. Seems reasonable, in retrospect.

I'm not sure what problem I had, but I can call now. If it happens
again I'll post again.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: What is the effect of + on non-international phone calls?