"my terminal is a lethal teaspoon." -- Patricia O Tuama

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Oudie tracker function problem

SubjectAuthor
* Oudie tracker function problemNicholas Kennedy
`* Re: Oudie tracker function problemMartin Gregorie
 `* Re: Oudie tracker function problemNicholas Kennedy
  `- Re: Oudie tracker function problemTim Newport-Peace

1
Oudie tracker function problem

<cc79af6c-b1d0-4d4f-a9ed-4366ae837e5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28424&group=rec.aviation.soaring#28424

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Oudie tracker function problem
From: nickkenn...@gmail.com (Nicholas Kennedy)
 by: Nicholas Kennedy - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 14:53 UTC

Gents
I recently download a bunch of flights from my Oudie 2.
I've got the "Logger Permanently On" box ticked.
1 Sec intervals.
The last 4 flights the flight "Route" would not show up on the See You map, but the statistics do show up and are correct.
Just the start point shows up with the glider sitting there.
And the flight will not play in See You animation.

Any ideas why the file does not show my track and animation on the map in See You?
Is it a Oudie problem or a See You problem?

Thanks in advance
Nick

Re: Oudie tracker function problem

<tedoql$bhnv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28426&group=rec.aviation.soaring#28426

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Re: Oudie tracker function problem
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 18:46:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 18:46 UTC

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Nicholas Kennedy wrote:

> Gents I recently download a bunch of flights from my Oudie 2.
> I've got the "Logger Permanently On" box ticked.
> 1 Sec intervals.
> The last 4 flights the flight "Route" would not show up on the See You
> map, but the statistics do show up and are correct.
> Just the start point shows up with the glider sitting there.
> And the flight will not play in See You animation.
>
> Any ideas why the file does not show my track and animation on the map
> in See You?

Two suggestions:

1) Have you checked whether the memory the Oudie is using to store the log
file is OK? If its using an SD card for that or for file transfers, and
you've managed to power off the Oudie or pulled the card out while it
was being written to, then the card may well be corrupted: SD cards
and older memory sticks have zero tolerance for that.

2) Have you looked at the file with a text editor? That's what I usually
do in this sort of case, to check that the log was recorded correctly.
An IGC log is just a plaintext file, containing a set of timestamped
lines, so should be readable without difficulty by a text editor on a
PC.

The IGC logfile file format definition can be downloaded from the IGC
site:

https://www.fai.org/igc-documents

Click on 'Flight Recorders' - you want the
"IGC-approved Flight Recorders - Technical Specification"
and make sure you download the 1361Kb PDF file, not the 55Kb one.
The IGC file spec is Appendix A in that file and is pretty well described
there.

A quick scan of the first few 'B' lines after the headers should show you
if one of these files differs from a known good file. I'd guess that if
the file looks OK the problem is in your Oudie or its file storage memory,
which may be damaged or just very old. If these are OK, then its in the
viewer.

Other viewers are GPSVisualiser (converts IGC files into KML or KMZ files
that Google Earth can display) and SeeYou or GPLIGC.

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Oudie tracker function problem

<9ac3aa55-4a36-427f-a972-75bb4bb58326n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28457&group=rec.aviation.soaring#28457

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickkenn...@gmail.com (Nicholas Kennedy)
 by: Nicholas Kennedy - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 13:40 UTC

On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 12:47:02 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
>
> > Gents I recently download a bunch of flights from my Oudie 2.
> > I've got the "Logger Permanently On" box ticked.
> > 1 Sec intervals.
> > The last 4 flights the flight "Route" would not show up on the See You
> > map, but the statistics do show up and are correct.
> > Just the start point shows up with the glider sitting there.
> > And the flight will not play in See You animation.
> >
> > Any ideas why the file does not show my track and animation on the map
> > in See You?
> >
> Two suggestions:
>
> 1) Have you checked whether the memory the Oudie is using to store the log
> file is OK? If its using an SD card for that or for file transfers, and
> you've managed to power off the Oudie or pulled the card out while it
> was being written to, then the card may well be corrupted: SD cards
> and older memory sticks have zero tolerance for that.
>
> 2) Have you looked at the file with a text editor? That's what I usually
> do in this sort of case, to check that the log was recorded correctly.
> An IGC log is just a plaintext file, containing a set of timestamped
> lines, so should be readable without difficulty by a text editor on a
> PC.
>
> The IGC logfile file format definition can be downloaded from the IGC
> site:
>
> https://www.fai.org/igc-documents
>
> Click on 'Flight Recorders' - you want the
> "IGC-approved Flight Recorders - Technical Specification"
> and make sure you download the 1361Kb PDF file, not the 55Kb one.
> The IGC file spec is Appendix A in that file and is pretty well described
> there.
>
> A quick scan of the first few 'B' lines after the headers should show you
> if one of these files differs from a known good file. I'd guess that if
> the file looks OK the problem is in your Oudie or its file storage memory,
> which may be damaged or just very old. If these are OK, then its in the
> viewer.
>
> Other viewers are GPSVisualiser (converts IGC files into KML or KMZ files
> that Google Earth can display) and SeeYou or GPLIGC.
>

> --
>
> Martin | martin at
> Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Martin thank you
Let me look into that
Nick

Re: Oudie tracker function problem

<tf1p70$36mjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28554&group=rec.aviation.soaring#28554

From: tim...@newportpeace.co.uk (Tim Newport-Peace)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 09:56:01 +0100
 by: Tim Newport-Peace - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:56 UTC

On 29/08/2022 14:40, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
> On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 12:47:02 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
>>
>>> Gents I recently download a bunch of flights from my Oudie 2.
>>> I've got the "Logger Permanently On" box ticked.
>>> 1 Sec intervals.
>>> The last 4 flights the flight "Route" would not show up on the See You
>>> map, but the statistics do show up and are correct.
>>> Just the start point shows up with the glider sitting there.
>>> And the flight will not play in See You animation.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why the file does not show my track and animation on the map
>>> in See You?
>>>
>> Two suggestions:
>>
>> 1) Have you checked whether the memory the Oudie is using to store the log
>> file is OK? If its using an SD card for that or for file transfers, and
>> you've managed to power off the Oudie or pulled the card out while it
>> was being written to, then the card may well be corrupted: SD cards
>> and older memory sticks have zero tolerance for that.
>>
>> 2) Have you looked at the file with a text editor? That's what I usually
>> do in this sort of case, to check that the log was recorded correctly.
>> An IGC log is just a plaintext file, containing a set of timestamped
>> lines, so should be readable without difficulty by a text editor on a
>> PC.
>>
>> The IGC logfile file format definition can be downloaded from the IGC
>> site:
>>
>> https://www.fai.org/igc-documents
>>
>> Click on 'Flight Recorders' - you want the
>> "IGC-approved Flight Recorders - Technical Specification"
>> and make sure you download the 1361Kb PDF file, not the 55Kb one.
>> The IGC file spec is Appendix A in that file and is pretty well described
>> there.
>>
>> A quick scan of the first few 'B' lines after the headers should show you
>> if one of these files differs from a known good file. I'd guess that if
>> the file looks OK the problem is in your Oudie or its file storage memory,
>> which may be damaged or just very old. If these are OK, then its in the
>> viewer.
>>
>> Other viewers are GPSVisualiser (converts IGC files into KML or KMZ files
>> that Google Earth can display) and SeeYou or GPLIGC.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Martin | martin at
>> Gregorie | gregorie dot org
>
> Martin thank you
> Let me look into that
> Nick
If you look at the GPS Altitude barogram in SeeYou, how does it compare
with the Pressure Altitude Barogram? Are the lots of cases of it
dropping to zero?

Tim.