Today is the first day of the rest of your lossage.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

SubjectAuthor
* USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2Vknuttle
+- Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2VHergen Lehmann
+- Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2VAndy Burns
`* Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2Vsms
 `* Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2VWaltS48
  `* Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2Vsms
   `* Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2Vbadgolferman
    +- Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2Vnospam
    `* Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2Vsms
     `* Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2VYK
      `- Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2VAndy Burns

1
USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<sv6tvc$1kg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28312&group=comp.mobile.android#28312

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:27:32 -0500
 by: knuttle - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 03:27 UTC

Are the multivoltage smarts in the phone or in the USB charging brick?
In my wall wort box were a dozen USB charging bricks.
Removing the duplicates, the varying voltages & current outputs were
5.0V@.85A (doncdo)
5.1V@2.1A (newtrent rohs)
4.6-5.3V@0.5A (duracell)
9.0V@1.67A & 5.0V@2.0A (samsung)
9.0V@1.67A & 5.0V@2.0A (samsung)
5.2V@2.4A (apple)
9.0V@1.8A (lg)
5.1V@0.7A (lg)
12V@1.5A & 9V@2.0A & 5V@3.0A (motorola)

For the multivoltage bricks are they phone specific?
Are they phone model specific?
Or can any recent phone use any of the multiple voltages?

Are the smarts in the phone to be able to use any multivoltage brick?
Or in the brick?

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<hfojei-7083.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28313&group=comp.mobile.android#28313

From: hlehmann...@snafu.de (Hergen Lehmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:25:05 +0100
 by: Hergen Lehmann - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:25 UTC

Am 24.02.22 um 04:27 schrieb knuttle:
> Are the multivoltage smarts in the phone or in the USB charging brick?
> In my wall wort box were a dozen USB charging bricks.
> Removing the duplicates, the varying voltages & current outputs were
> 5.0V@.85A (doncdo)
> 5.1V@2.1A (newtrent rohs)
> 4.6-5.3V@0.5A (duracell)
> 9.0V@1.67A & 5.0V@2.0A (samsung)
> 9.0V@1.67A & 5.0V@2.0A (samsung)
> 5.2V@2.4A (apple)
> 9.0V@1.8A (lg)
> 5.1V@0.7A (lg)
> 12V@1.5A & 9V@2.0A & 5V@3.0A (motorola)
>
> For the multivoltage bricks are they phone specific?
> Are they phone model specific?

There is an official standard (USB PD) for multi-voltage bricks, which
is common for USB-powered Notebooks, but is rarely adopted by phones as
of now. There is a proprietary standard (Qualcomm Quickcharge), which us
used at least by a large number of higher-end phones based on this
popular chipset.

But in general, you have to assume, that this is manufacturer-specific
and sometimes even model-specific.

> Or can any recent phone use any of the multiple voltages?

Most higher-end ones can use at least one high voltage Quickcharge mode,
but entry-level ones are usually limited to 5V.

> Are the smarts in the phone to be able to use any multivoltage brick?
> Or in the brick?

The brick must support the charging standard used by the phone.
Third-party "universal" bricks are more likely to do that, than the ones
delivered with the phone.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<j7or5jFu3n6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28314&group=comp.mobile.android#28314

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:41:37 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:41 UTC

knuttle wrote:

> For the multivoltage bricks are they phone specific?

there are "families" e.g.

bog standard USB 5V

proprietary extension with signalling by resistors across pins to indicate
higher currents

battery charging standard (BCS) which is a standardised version of the resistors

proprietary quickcharge (QC1/QC2/QC3) negotiate higher voltages/currents

proprietary VOOC/superVOOC which I think are more about higher currents than
higher voltages

power delivery standard (PD1/PD2/PD3) allows negotiating between several fixed
voltages and currents

precise power specification (PPS) which allows negotiating arbitrary voltages
and currents

> can any recent phone use any of the multiple voltages?

Roughly speaking, any two devices that can understand each other's protocol(s),
can get volts and amps from the other side, or hope that the other end doesn't
accidentally fry them...

Personally I've never had any problems, even though early USB-C had some issues,
and no doubt some still exist.

> Are the smarts in the phone to be able to use any multivoltage brick?
> Or in the brick?
In both.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<sv7jtt$iu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28316&group=comp.mobile.android#28316

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 01:42:20 -0800
 by: sms - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 09:42 UTC

On 2/23/2022 7:27 PM, knuttle wrote:
> Are the multivoltage smarts in the phone or in the USB charging brick?

Both.

> In my wall wort box were a dozen USB charging bricks.
> Removing the duplicates, the varying voltages & current outputs were
> 5.0V@.85A (doncdo)
> 5.1V@2.1A (newtrent rohs)
> 4.6-5.3V@0.5A (duracell)
> 9.0V@1.67A & 5.0V@2.0A (samsung)
> 9.0V@1.67A & 5.0V@2.0A (samsung)
> 5.2V@2.4A (apple)
> 9.0V@1.8A (lg)
> 5.1V@0.7A (lg)
> 12V@1.5A & 9V@2.0A & 5V@3.0A (motorola)
>
> For the multivoltage bricks are they phone specific?

No, unless they are using a proprietary standard. Some early higher
power chargers used resistors in the phone, across the data lines, to
indicate to the charger that they could charge at higher current.

> Are they phone model specific?

No.

> Or can any recent phone use any of the multiple voltages?

Some of the voltages.

> Are the smarts in the phone to be able to use any multivoltage brick?
> Or in the brick?

Both.

Good summary of QC at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge>. QC4
and up are also USB-PD compatible.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<sv8d7h$iuu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28317&group=comp.mobile.android#28317

From: sch...@invalid.net (WaltS48)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:54:02 -0400
 by: WaltS48 - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 16:54 UTC

On 2/24/2022 5:42 AM, sms wrote:
>> Are the smarts in the phone to be able to use any multivoltage brick?
>> Or in the brick?
>
> Both.
>
> Good summary of QC at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge>. QC4
> and up are also USB-PD compatible.

All them high power chargers don't work a lick on the wrong phone.
Bought me one of them hi power wall boxes and it don't charge any faster.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<sv8hfn$j0e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28318&group=comp.mobile.android#28318

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 10:06:47 -0800
 by: sms - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 18:06 UTC

On 2/24/2022 8:54 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 2/24/2022 5:42 AM, sms wrote:
>>> Are the smarts in the phone to be able to use any multivoltage brick?
>>> Or in the brick?
>>
>> Both.
>>
>> Good summary of QC at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge>.
>> QC4 and up are also USB-PD compatible.
>
> All them high power chargers don't work a lick on the wrong phone.
> Bought me one of them hi power wall boxes and it don't charge any faster.

A QC capable phone will charge at higher speed with any QC capable charger.

A PD capable phone will charge at higher speed with any PD capable charger.

It's older phones, that don't have the fast-charging capability, that
will only charge at a slower rate with QC or PD chargers. Those older
phones may charge faster with the phone manufacturer's supplied charger
that can up the current based on reading the voltage on the data pins,
see <http://www.obddiag.net/usb-power.html>.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<svback$pcr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28365&group=comp.mobile.android#28365

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:24:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:24 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> A QC capable phone will charge at higher speed with any QC capable charger.
>
> A PD capable phone will charge at higher speed with any PD capable charger.

How can you tell if the phone or charger is QC or PD capable if it doesn't
say so on the charger or on the phone?

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<250220221429042561%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28367&group=comp.mobile.android#28367

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:29:04 -0500
 by: nospam - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:29 UTC

In article <svback$pcr$1@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can you tell if the phone or charger is QC or PD capable if it doesn't
> say so on the charger or on the phone?

the charger should say what it supports. if it doesn't, assume neither.
recent iphones and ipads use industry standard pd.
some android phones use qualcomm proprietary qc.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<svbg3f$gc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28380&group=comp.mobile.android#28380

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:01:35 -0800
 by: sms - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:01 UTC

On 2/25/2022 11:24 AM, badgolferman wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> A QC capable phone will charge at higher speed with any QC capable charger.
>>
>> A PD capable phone will charge at higher speed with any PD capable charger.
>
> How can you tell if the phone or charger is QC or PD capable if it doesn't
> say so on the charger or on the phone?

For an Android phone, look up the specs of the phone. Very Android few
phones sold in the past few years would not be QC compatible at some level.

When you plug in a QC charger you'll see "Fast Charging" or "Turbo
Power" on the lock screen.

For the chargers, the voltage and current are printed on it and it will
show several combinations of voltage and current i.e.
<https://i.imgur.com/ofkhuV1.jpeg>. If it only says 5V/?A then it's not
QC. But it would be rare to have a QC or PD charger where the ports
aren't labeled as such, see <https://i.imgur.com/Vevh6C6.jpeg>.

Note that for iPhones that can fast charge (PD compatible, iPhone 8 and
up) there is no indication on the screen whether or not a fast charger
is connected though supposedly, with some chargers, you'll hear two
beeps, but not all chargers and cable combinations will do the two beeps.

You can also check the voltage and current with a USB-C monitor such as
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000349886468.html> (only the USB-C
version). I was doing some measurements of charging WH on different
phones, using wired and wireless charging, using both a USB-C monitor
and an AC WH monitor <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RNFQTL9>.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<svf4ds$f84$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28463&group=comp.mobile.android#28463

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 01:06:47 -0500
 by: YK - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 06:06 UTC

On 2/25/2022 4:01 PM, sms wrote:
> For an Android phone, look up the specs of the phone. Very Android few
> phones sold in the past few years would not be QC compatible at some level.
>
> When you plug in a QC charger you'll see "Fast Charging" or "Turbo
> Power" on the lock screen.
>
> For the chargers, the voltage and current are printed on it and it will
> show several combinations of voltage and current i.e.
> <https://i.imgur.com/ofkhuV1.jpeg>. If it only says 5V/?A then it's not
> QC. But it would be rare to have a QC or PD charger where the ports
> aren't labeled as such, see <https://i.imgur.com/Vevh6C6.jpeg>.
>
> Note that for iPhones that can fast charge (PD compatible, iPhone 8 and
> up) there is no indication on the screen whether or not a fast charger
> is connected though supposedly, with some chargers, you'll hear two
> beeps, but not all chargers and cable combinations will do the two beeps.
>
> You can also check the voltage and current with a USB-C monitor such as
> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000349886468.html> (only the USB-C
> version). I was doing some measurements of charging WH on different
> phones, using wired and wireless charging, using both a USB-C monitor
> and an AC WH monitor <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RNFQTL9>.

This is the USB power meter that I've been using for about a year now.
https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Bluetooth-Capacity-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B07DCSZJ98/

Supports USB-C PD and QC3.0/4.0 protocols but only works on Android 5 &
above and Windows 7 and above.

Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V

<j80treFgjnkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28465&group=comp.mobile.android#28465

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:16:30 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:16 UTC

YK wrote:

> This is the USB power meter that I've been using for about a year now.
> https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Bluetooth-Capacity-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B07DCSZJ98/

Similar devices tend to be cheaper via aliexpress than amazon, e.g.

<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859439118.html>

> Supports USB-C PD and QC3.0/4.0 protocols but only works on Android 5 &
> above and Windows 7 and above.

I must admit I haven't even tried the phone/pc data logging, despite having
purchased the bluetooth version.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: USB charging brick voltages of 12V & 9V & 4,6V & 5V & 5.2V