Do not underestimate the value of print statements for debugging.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1

SubjectAuthor
* Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1Nicholas Kennedy
`* Re: Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1william feiges
 `- Re: Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1Dan Marotta

1
Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1

<cd284e57-968f-4a9d-bbf3-3929e299b264n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28460&group=rec.aviation.soaring#28460

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:13:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1
From: nickkenn...@gmail.com (Nicholas Kennedy)
 by: Nicholas Kennedy - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:13 UTC

Gents
It stopped raining for a few minutes in the desert SW and we got to go flying yesterday.
I'll drop a few names here and there.
Gary Osaba is the weather man and he does a good job of it. The forecast looked good and it generally was.
Biff Huss is the contest director and along with Mitch Hudson Manager passed out a task; Line start A, Up to a 30 Km Turn Area around Santa Fe ski area, Down to the SE to Vaughn to another 30 KM turn area, then to the west to a little the NW at 10-15e 5 Km turn area at this TP called Chilili, [ say that ] then home.
Getting off tow there were good solid Cu just to the SW and most pilots headed there for the 1st big climb. I met up with my partner Tim Delaney there.. We both fly the LS3a, so its easy to stay together. We could use the radio yesterday and we did to team fly.
We went straight up the valley over Hwy 285, and it was slow going. Wind was from the NW at 10-15, there obviously were 2-4 knot climbs, but slow.
We came into Santa Fe low on the hills to the east. We were in the Lee and could not connect. after about 10 mins in a big search pattern I left for the big cloudstreet about 20 miles East, low. I flew into a little valley with what looked like a land able field, but here in NM who knows?. After a couple of minutes I got under the BIG cloudstreet and connected in one that turned into 11 knots.
Tim followed a few minute later and could not find my thermal and kept going but did find his own boomer and I joined him a base at about 17.3
We reteamed up a 3 other gliders and the rest of the flight down to Vaughn and Chilili was fast and easy.
I updated my Oudie and its got this feature now that calculates your final glide around your turnpoints, nice. This contest is in Kilometers [ ?? Why such BS ]
And doing the math in you head at 15k is not easy for a boomer.
But the Oudie said Go and I did. Worked perfect! Thanks Naviter!
Landing conditions were perfect and Morarity is a nice place to land a mob all at once, big ramp.
Nick

Re: Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1

<ec1bc441-2f0e-4da2-9b44-9c90e7e4d75bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28475&group=rec.aviation.soaring#28475

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 03:40:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1
From: wfei...@gmail.com (william feiges)
 by: william feiges - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:40 UTC

Nice write up. Thanks On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 8:13:39 AM UTC-6, nickkennedy...@gmail.com wrote:
> Gents
> It stopped raining for a few minutes in the desert SW and we got to go flying yesterday.
> I'll drop a few names here and there.
> Gary Osaba is the weather man and he does a good job of it. The forecast looked good and it generally was.
> Biff Huss is the contest director and along with Mitch Hudson Manager passed out a task; Line start A, Up to a 30 Km Turn Area around Santa Fe ski area, Down to the SE to Vaughn to another 30 KM turn area, then to the west to a little the NW at 10-15e 5 Km turn area at this TP called Chilili, [ say that ] then home.
> Getting off tow there were good solid Cu just to the SW and most pilots headed there for the 1st big climb. I met up with my partner Tim Delaney there. We both fly the LS3a, so its easy to stay together. We could use the radio yesterday and we did to team fly.
> We went straight up the valley over Hwy 285, and it was slow going. Wind was from the NW at 10-15, there obviously were 2-4 knot climbs, but slow.
> We came into Santa Fe low on the hills to the east. We were in the Lee and could not connect. after about 10 mins in a big search pattern I left for the big cloudstreet about 20 miles East, low. I flew into a little valley with what looked like a land able field, but here in NM who knows?. After a couple of minutes I got under the BIG cloudstreet and connected in one that turned into 11 knots.
> Tim followed a few minute later and could not find my thermal and kept going but did find his own boomer and I joined him a base at about 17.3
> We reteamed up a 3 other gliders and the rest of the flight down to Vaughn and Chilili was fast and easy.
> I updated my Oudie and its got this feature now that calculates your final glide around your turnpoints, nice. This contest is in Kilometers [ ?? Why such BS ]
> And doing the math in you head at 15k is not easy for a boomer.
> But the Oudie said Go and I did. Worked perfect! Thanks Naviter!
> Landing conditions were perfect and Morarity is a nice place to land a mob all at once, big ramp.
> Nick

Re: Morartiy Club Class Nats practice day 1

<telhlg$1hcoe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28480&group=rec.aviation.soaring#28480

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:33:34 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:33 UTC

Looking at the glider tracker, it appears the sniffer is in the
departure turn out right now at 1130 MDT. Looking out the window, I
wouldn't be flying but I live in the mountains and it's an upslope wind.
Guess I've lost the competitive spirit, but GO GUYS!

I've got to work on one of my toys but will be watching from the ground.

Dan
5J