The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children. -- Linus Torvalds

tech / sci.space.policy / Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.

SubjectAuthor
* Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.JF Mezei
+* Re: Moving Starshop from landing pad to launch pad.pnn calmagorod
|`* Re: Moving Starshop from landing pad to launch pad.Snidely
| `- Re: Moving Starshop from landing pad to launch pad.Doctor Who
`* Re: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.Snidely
 `* Re: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.JF Mezei
  `- Re: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.Snidely

1
Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.

<7E_iI.81008$Y87.79631@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2851&group=sci.space.policy#2851

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Subject: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 17:28:35 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:28 UTC

Out of curiosity, assuming Starship lands and stays on ground on its
mini-legs (or whatever landing gear) how do they lift it and carry it to
a launch pad?

Is there a litle hook on the nose cone to which TankZilla attach to lift
it?

Once you add thermal tiles, and the opening cargo doors, just curious
where structural attach points might be to lift it and deposit it on the
launch cradles. Obviously there need to stay clear of the nose area flapa.

Re: Moving Starshop from landing pad to launch pad.

<f085d1ce-7b26-4f93-b4d4-12ef4c3c4381n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2853&group=sci.space.policy#2853

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 14:54:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Moving Starshop from landing pad to launch pad.
From: calmago...@gmail.com (pnn calmagorod)
 by: pnn calmagorod - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:54 UTC

Il giorno venerdì 30 aprile 2021 alle 23:28:37 UTC+2 JF Mezei ha scritto:
> Out of curiosity, assuming Starship lands and stays on ground on its
> mini-legs (or whatever landing gear) how do they lift it and carry it to
> a launch pad?
+ Starship???
Ridicolous!!! Will be another comic boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)))))

> Is there a litle hook on the nose cone to which TankZilla attach to lift
> it?
>
> Once you add thermal tiles, and the opening cargo doors, just curious
> where structural attach points might be to lift it and deposit it on the
> launch cradles. Obviously there need to stay clear of the nose area flapa..

Actual universities in all world produces imbeciles :-)

and LOL

Re: Moving Starshop from landing pad to launch pad.

<mn.f58a7e54b3304c74.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2857&group=sci.space.policy#2857

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 23:38:19 -0700
 by: Snidely - Sat, 1 May 2021 06:38 UTC

pnn calmagorod submitted this gripping article, maybe on Friday:
> Il giorno venerdì 30 aprile 2021 alle 23:28:37 UTC+2 JF Mezei ha scritto:
>> Out of curiosity, assuming Starship lands and stays on ground on its
>> mini-legs (or whatever landing gear) how do they lift it and carry it to
>> a launch pad?
> +
> Starship???
> Ridicolous!!! Will be another comic
> boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)))))
>>
>> Is there a litle hook on the nose cone to which TankZilla attach to lift
>> it?
>>
>> Once you add thermal tiles, and the opening cargo doors, just curious
>> where structural attach points might be to lift it and deposit it on the
>> launch cradles. Obviously there need to stay clear of the nose area flapa.
>
> Actual universities in all world produces imbeciles :-)
>
> and LOL

And soon we'll see your device achieve a 10 km flight.

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.

Re: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.

<mn.f58b7e54dfb566c5.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2858&group=sci.space.policy#2858

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 23:39:26 -0700
 by: Snidely - Sat, 1 May 2021 06:39 UTC

JF Mezei suggested that ...
> Out of curiosity, assuming Starship lands and stays on ground on its
> mini-legs (or whatever landing gear) how do they lift it and carry it to
> a launch pad?
>
> Is there a litle hook on the nose cone to which TankZilla attach to lift
> it?
>
> Once you add thermal tiles, and the opening cargo doors, just curious
> where structural attach points might be to lift it and deposit it on the
> launch cradles. Obviously there need to stay clear of the nose area flapa.

Did you happen to notice how SN15 (or SN11 or SN10 or SN9 or SN8) was
placed on the pad? Yes, there are permanent attach points.

/dps

--
Trust, but verify.

Re: Moving Starshop from landing pad to launch pad.

<5f0q8gdutnqnum8cppueajpnhl8kkom2eu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2861&group=sci.space.policy#2861

From: doc...@tardis.org (Doctor Who)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 09:23:37 +0200
 by: Doctor Who - Sat, 1 May 2021 07:23 UTC

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 23:38:19 -0700, Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com>
wrote:

>pnn calmagorod submitted this gripping article, maybe on Friday:
>> Il giorno venerdì 30 aprile 2021 alle 23:28:37 UTC+2 JF Mezei ha scritto:
>>> Out of curiosity, assuming Starship lands and stays on ground on its
>>> mini-legs (or whatever landing gear) how do they lift it and carry it to
>>> a launch pad?
>> +
>> Starship???
>> Ridicolous!!! Will be another comic
>> boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)))))
>>>
>>> Is there a litle hook on the nose cone to which TankZilla attach to lift
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Once you add thermal tiles, and the opening cargo doors, just curious
>>> where structural attach points might be to lift it and deposit it on the
>>> launch cradles. Obviously there need to stay clear of the nose area flapa.
>>
>> Actual universities in all world produces imbeciles :-)
>>
>> and LOL
>
>And soon we'll see your device achieve a 10 km flight of fancy.

Fix.

Re: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.

<%M7jI.309821$nn2.149760@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2862&group=sci.space.policy#2862

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 03:52:27 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Sat, 1 May 2021 07:52 UTC

On 2021-05-01 02:39, Snidely wrote:

> Did you happen to notice how SN15 (or SN11 or SN10 or SN9 or SN8) was
> placed on the pad? Yes, there are permanent attach points.

During construction, commercial; aircradt also have attach points for
each section of fuselageand so the whole plane can be lifted while
landing gear ins installed etc. But those are removed eventually and
holes plugged efore plane painted and delivered.

For a 10km test flight, you can have as many hooks as you want, but that
doesn't mean those are part of final design, especiually for an
"iterative design" half finished protoype.

I admit to not watching the full video of rilling out an SN to pad and
lifting it on pad. But I know that in the high bay, they had the ship on
a stand and they lift the stand so they can roll a flatbed below. And
from there, they can easily get to top and attach the hooks from Tankzilla.

But after a ship has landed on bare field, curious how they will attach
succh with ship standing on flat/bare field.

Re: Moving Starship from landing pad to launch pad.

<mn.12f07e55c84dcb2c.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2864&group=sci.space.policy#2864

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 12:32:52 -0700
 by: Snidely - Sun, 2 May 2021 19:32 UTC

JF Mezei formulated the question :
> On 2021-05-01 02:39, Snidely wrote:
>
>> Did you happen to notice how SN15 (or SN11 or SN10 or SN9 or SN8) was
>> placed on the pad? Yes, there are permanent attach points.
>
> During construction, commercial; aircradt also have attach points for
> each section of fuselageand so the whole plane can be lifted while
> landing gear ins installed etc. But those are removed eventually and
> holes plugged efore plane painted and delivered.
>
> For a 10km test flight, you can have as many hooks as you want, but that
> doesn't mean those are part of final design, especiually for an
> "iterative design" half finished protoype.
>
> I admit to not watching the full video of rilling out an SN to pad and
> lifting it on pad. But I know that in the high bay, they had the ship on
> a stand and they lift the stand so they can roll a flatbed below. And
> from there, they can easily get to top and attach the hooks from Tankzilla.
>
> But after a ship has landed on bare field, curious how they will attach
> succh with ship standing on flat/bare field.

As always with SpaceX, unless Elon has tweeted something we can only go
by what we've *seen*.

/dps