War isn't a good life, but it's life. -- Kirk, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8

computers / comp.mobile.android / Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

SubjectAuthor
* Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?JAB
+* Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working insms
|`- Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working inJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working inJoerg Lorenz
 `* Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?JAB
  `* Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working inJoerg Lorenz
   `* Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working inJoerg Lorenz
    `- Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?JAB

1
Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svjutd$182h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28513&group=comp.mobile.android#28513

From: her...@is.invalid (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 20:03:20 -0600
 by: JAB - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 02:03 UTC

Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svk1i8$eks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28516&group=comp.mobile.android#28516

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in
Moscow?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 18:48:41 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 02:48 UTC

On 2/28/2022 6:03 PM, JAB wrote:
> Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

Now if only they would work at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart.

Home Depot is especially infuriating because at the store near me there
are always long lines at the checkout, only five lines (one staffed,
four self-checkouts). Two of the self-checkouts have flaky chip card
readers so you finish scanning your whole order and then you can't pay.
NFC is so much more reliable and so much faster.

Walmart just added a bunch of "no-cash" lines in addition to the
self-checkout no-cash lines and things move pretty well. You can use
Walmart Pay, though I don't.

Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svkkuu$rq3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28518&group=comp.mobile.android#28518

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Moscow?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:19:42 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 08:19 UTC

Am 01.03.22 um 03:48 schrieb sms:
> On 2/28/2022 6:03 PM, JAB wrote:
>> Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?
>
> Now if only they would work at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart.
>
> Home Depot is especially infuriating because at the store near me there
> are always long lines at the checkout, only five lines (one staffed,
> four self-checkouts). Two of the self-checkouts have flaky chip card
> readers so you finish scanning your whole order and then you can't pay.
> NFC is so much more reliable and so much faster.
>
> Walmart just added a bunch of "no-cash" lines in addition to the
> self-checkout no-cash lines and things move pretty well. You can use
> Walmart Pay, though I don't.

Does that interest anybody? Once more completely OT and you try to
impose your personal agenda once more.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svkl15$rq3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28519&group=comp.mobile.android#28519

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Moscow?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:20:53 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 08:20 UTC

Am 01.03.22 um 03:03 schrieb JAB:
> Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

I would be surprised if it would still work. The back-end is based on SWIFT.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svlcvq$1uol$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28521&group=comp.mobile.android#28521

From: her...@is.invalid (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:09:42 -0600
 by: JAB - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 15:09 UTC

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:20:53 +0100, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>> Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?
>
> I would be surprised if it would still work. The back-end is based on SWIFT.

It seems to depend on what bank you use I guess as this said earlier today.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60558731
"The sanctions against some Russian banks include cutting them off from Visa
and Mastercard, and consequently Apple Pay and Google Pay."

Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svle3p$jmj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28522&group=comp.mobile.android#28522

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Moscow?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 16:28:57 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 15:28 UTC

Am 01.03.22 um 16:09 schrieb JAB:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:20:53 +0100, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>>> Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?
>>
>> I would be surprised if it would still work. The back-end is based on SWIFT.
>
> It seems to depend on what bank you use I guess as this said earlier today.
> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60558731
> "The sanctions against some Russian banks include cutting them off from Visa
> and Mastercard, and consequently Apple Pay and Google Pay."

I have nothing to add to what I wrote already: All Western credit card
companies rely on processes that involve SWIFT.

And who the fuck cares about these marginal payment forms anyway?

The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT),
legally S.W.I.F.T. SC, is a Belgian cooperative society providing
services related to the execution of financial transactions and payments
between banks worldwide. Its principal function is to serve as the main
messaging network through which international payments are initiated.[2]
It also sells software and services to financial institutions, mostly
for use on its proprietary "SWIFTNet", and ISO 9362 Business Identifier
Codes (BICs), popularly known as "SWIFT codes".

The SWIFT messaging network is a component of the global payments
system.[3] SWIFT acts as a carrier of the "messages containing the
payment instructions between financial institutions involved in a
transaction."[4][5] However, the organization does not manage accounts
on behalf of individuals or financial institutions, and it does not hold
funds from third parties.[6] It also does not perform clearing or
settlement functions.[7][5] After a payment has been initiated, it must
be settled through a payment system, such as TARGET2 in Europe.[8] In
the context of cross-border transactions, this step often takes place
through correspondent banking accounts that financial institutions have
with each other.[4]

As of 2018, around half of all high-value cross-border payments
worldwide used the SWIFT network,[9] and in 2015, SWIFT linked more than
11,000 financial institutions in over 200 countries and territories, who
were exchanging an average of over 32 million messages per day (compared
to an average of 2.4 million daily messages in 1995).[10]

Though widely utilized, SWIFT has been criticized for its inefficiency.
In 2018, the London-based Financial Times noted that transfers
frequently "pass through multiple banks before reaching their final
destination, making them time-consuming, costly and lacking transparency
on how much money will arrive at the other end".[9] SWIFT has since
introduced an improved service called "Global Payments Innovation"
(GPI), claiming it was adopted by 165 banks and was completing half its
payments within 30 minutes.[9]

As a cooperative society under Belgian law, SWIFT is owned by its member
financial institutions. It is headquartered in La Hulpe, Belgium, near
Brussels; its main building was designed by Ricardo Bofill Taller de
Arquitectura and completed in 1989.[11] The chairman of SWIFT is Yawar
Shah[12] of Pakistan,[13] and its CEO is Javier PĂ©rez-Tasso of
Spain.[14] SWIFT hosts an annual conference, called Sibos, specifically
aimed at the financial services industry.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svletp$qp6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28523&group=comp.mobile.android#28523

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Moscow?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 16:42:48 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 15:42 UTC

Am 01.03.22 um 16:28 schrieb Joerg Lorenz:

>>> I would be surprised if it would still work. The back-end is based on SWIFT.
>>
>> It seems to depend on what bank you use I guess as this said earlier today.
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60558731
>> "The sanctions against some Russian banks include cutting them off from Visa
>> and Mastercard, and consequently Apple Pay and Google Pay."
>
> I have nothing to add to what I wrote already: All Western credit card
> companies rely on processes that involve SWIFT.

And that is because Apple Pay or Google Pay ar not services in their own
right. They rely on established processes in the global banking system
and its connection to the credit card companies. That is called the backend.

I do not know whether these consumer services technically still work.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?

<svmb9n$82m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28542&group=comp.mobile.android#28542

From: her...@is.invalid (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 17:46:59 -0600
 by: JAB - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 23:46 UTC

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 16:42:48 +0100, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> And that is because Apple Pay or Google Pay ar not services in their own
> right.

"Apple said it has moved to limit access to digital services, such as Apple
Pay, inside Russia"
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/01/tech/apple-russia/index.html

computers / comp.mobile.android / Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay no longer working in Moscow?