From: nos...@127.0.0.1 (David Spain)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: SN15 Hop Test <Spoiler Alert>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 18:44:11 -0400
sha1:A1K/PiLaXX7Jj6HUzCOI3zqeMns=
 by: David Spain - Wed, 5 May 2021 22:44 UTC

So far so good.

What I thought might have been a fire at the base of the rocket, might
have been an intentional methane flare off. The computer I was watching
it from didn't have audio. Anyway about 10 minutes after landing and it
looks like the fire is out and the rocket is just venting off gasses.

Cautious Congratulations SpaceX!

Dave

Re: SN15 Hop Test <Spoiler Alert>

<87r1ik94si.fsf@eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2873&group=sci.space.policy#2873

From: nos...@127.0.0.1 (David Spain)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: SN15 Hop Test <Spoiler Alert>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 18:47:25 -0400
sha1:gZQaHYcZ9iTNTAFm0Qvo/zC/l3g=
 by: David Spain - Wed, 5 May 2021 22:47 UTC

My only complaint was that it doesn't appear SpaceX offered their own
live video feed this time. Video on this flight was pretty jagged,
at least on the NasaSpaceFlight.com YouTube website. Very little
in-flight video available. Just launch and 8 seconds before
landing. Weather conditions and overcast skies prevented ground cameras
from seeing much. But what I could see looked very, very good....

Dave

Re: SN15 Hop Test <Spoiler Alert>

<0QHkI.75242$9F5.25629@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2874&group=sci.space.policy#2874

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!news.uzoreto.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!newsin.alt.net!fdcspool2.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!fx43.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 21:42:20 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Thu, 6 May 2021 01:42 UTC

On 2021-05-05 18:47, David Spain wrote:
> My only complaint was that it doesn't appear SpaceX offered their own
> live video feed this time.

They did, but cutoff just before important times. Considering that they
had radio/video comms working flawlessly for many flights, the cutting
of just before important steps is suspicious.

It was interesting that the SpaceX commentator explain they would light
up 3 engines to flip it at landing and then go to 2. Only 2 were lighted
up and remained on till landing. It was a smooth and slower landing.

I don't consider fire at base to be normal. And we've seen in those
flighst where video didn't cut before engine shutdown that there is a
lot of residual "unclean" flames. (to a point where they did damage
something on one flight).

Nasa Space Flight was so suspiciosu of the post landing fire that they
kept the feed on the landed Starship and didn't do replays, just in case
it decided to go on a second flight like SN10.

Am quite curious on why the issue of resudual flames when engine is
shutdown hsn't been fixed. I guess it is iterative process and they'll
evenually get around to fixing that.

Re: SN15 Hop Test <Spoiler Alert>

<MPG.3afdc790f5df8f27989dd7@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2875&group=sci.space.policy#2875

From: jfind...@cinci.nospam.rr.com (Jeff Findley)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 10:30:31 -0400
 by: Jeff Findley - Thu, 6 May 2021 14:30 UTC

In article <87r1ik94si.fsf@eternal-september.org>, nospam@127.0.0.1
says...

> My only complaint was that it doesn't appear SpaceX offered their own
> live video feed this time. Video on this flight was pretty jagged,
> at least on the NasaSpaceFlight.com YouTube website. Very little
> in-flight video available. Just launch and 8 seconds before
> landing. Weather conditions and overcast skies prevented ground cameras
> from seeing much. But what I could see looked very, very good....

I believe they did have official video. It was on the SpaceX website.

Jeff