Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Mystery Deepens; in much need of HELP!
From: tcr224...@gmail.com (TOM R.)
 by: TOM R. - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 19:15 UTC

On Thursday, August 17, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Analytical Methods {NWNet} wrote:
> Bob Hull is probably Bob Hall, one of the chief engineers (and
> test pilots) at Grumman during this time. This is the same Bob Hall who
> worked at Granville Brothers Aircraft and designed AND flew the GeeBee
> Model Z.
> (G)Jordan Israel is Gordon Israel, another famous engineer who
> worked at Grumman at this time. Israel had also worked for Benny
> Howard, where he designed some of the the Howard racers and he also the
> did the "Redhead" racer on his own. Later Israel worked on the Learjet.
>
> -Dave Lednicer
> da...@amiwest.com

I just found this message on 11/3/2021 while searching for information on one of my cousins, Gilbert Christian Greenway, who evidently signed your artwork. He had a varied career, but prior to andduring WWII, he was a test pilot for Grumman Aircraft. He was also a pilot for Gillies Airlines on Long Island, in the CIA (served in Greece) and Assistant Deputy Secretary of the USAF.
If any images of Gilbert are available, I would greatly appreciate a copy of them.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/204642355/gilbert-christian-greenway

His brother, George Lauder Greenway, was quite accomplished in promoting the arts in New York, Lincoln Center being among them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Lauder_Greenway

His maternal grandfather, George Lauder, from Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland emigrated to the U.S. with his cousin, Andrew Carnegie to form Carnegie Steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lauder_(Scottish_industrialist)

His paternal uncle Brig. Gen. John Campbell Greenway, served under Teddy Roosevelt during the Spanish American War as a "Rough Rider" and they became life-long friends. Roosevelt mentioned Greenway multiple times in his account of the battle of San Juan Hill and is standing immediately to the left of Roosevelt (in white hat) in the group photograph taken on San Juan Hill immediately after the battle.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/107333859/john-campbell-greenway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_Greenway

An Interesting coincidence, J.C. Greenway's son (Gilbert's 1st cousin) attended Phillips Exeter Academy and was in the same "secret" society, AUS (Auctoritas, Unitas, Veritas) with George H.W. Bush, who ironically, was shot down in a Grumman TBM "Avenger" aircraft near the island of Ichi Jima.

Re: Mystery Deepens; in much need of HELP!

<m5UhJ.20064$L_2.13486@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2875&group=rec.aviation.military#2875

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 09:33:10 -0800
 by: a425couple - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:33 UTC

On 11/6/2021 12:15 PM, TOM R. wrote:
> On Thursday, August 17, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Analytical Methods {NWNet} wrote:
>> Bob Hull is probably Bob Hall, one of the chief engineers (and
>> test pilots) at Grumman during this time. This is the same Bob Hall who
>> worked at Granville Brothers Aircraft and designed AND flew the GeeBee
>> Model Z.
>> (G)Jordan Israel is Gordon Israel, another famous engineer who
>> worked at Grumman at this time. Israel had also worked for Benny
>> Howard, where he designed some of the the Howard racers and he also the
>> did the "Redhead" racer on his own. Later Israel worked on the Learjet.
>>
>> -Dave Lednicer
>> da...@amiwest.com
>
> I just found this message on 11/3/2021 while searching for information on one of my cousins, Gilbert Christian Greenway, who evidently signed your artwork. He had a varied career, but prior to andduring WWII, he was a test pilot for Grumman Aircraft. He was also a pilot for Gillies Airlines on Long Island, in the CIA (served in Greece) and Assistant Deputy Secretary of the USAF.
> If any images of Gilbert are available, I would greatly appreciate a copy of them.
> https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/204642355/gilbert-christian-greenway

You want pictures?

Try going to Google Images, and enter

pilot Gilbert Christian Greenway

I see it come back with quite a few WWII era pilots,
and many have the key word
NWWIIGPA _ PERSONNEL
and talk about a reunion.

Good luck!