From: f74279f7...@example.com (Mike Larson)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Subject: Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 17:01:28 +0000
 by: Mike Larson - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 17:01 UTC

My query is, I got a old Craftsman brand 6-lb splitting maul that I wouldn't mind trying to restore to usable condition. Obviously needs the handle replaced. The new model Craftsman splitting mauls like this (that I've seen online) don't have the wooden handle. I'm just wondering how I could maybe acquire a new wooden handle that will fit this maul just right. Seems to be a pretty limited selection of replacement handles these days at the home centers, and hardware stores where I live anyway. It would need to fit just right of course. Are all [url=https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-splitting-maul/]these[/url] type of handles for axes, mauls like this, etc, pretty much the same standard configuration, and pretty much any generic handle about the right size will fit, or not?

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/welding/replacing-wooden-maul-handle-with-steel-one-46723-.htm

Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?

<tf77ce$3srdn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=290&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#290

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 06:28:00 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:28 UTC

"Mike Larson" wrote in message

[...]

----------------------

https://shedheads.net/splitting-maul-reviews/replace-handle/

Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?

<tfo03e$1efo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=291&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#291

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:08:29 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:08 UTC

On 9/5/2022 10:01 AM, Mike Larson wrote:
> My query is, I got a old Craftsman brand 6-lb splitting maul that I
> wouldn't mind trying to restore to usable condition. Obviously needs the
> handle replaced. The new model Craftsman splitting mauls like this (that
> I've seen online) don't have the wooden handle. I'm just wondering how I
> could maybe acquire a new wooden handle that will fit this maul just
> right. Seems to be a pretty limited selection of replacement handles
> these days at the home centers, and hardware stores where I live anyway.
> It would need to fit just right of course. Are all
> [url=https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-splitting-maul/]these[/url] type
> of handles for axes, mauls like this, etc, pretty much the same standard
> configuration, and pretty much any generic handle about the right size
> will fit, or not?

MSC has a decent selection of Hickory wood handles in stock. Measure
the hole, find something close, and adjust to fit with a spoke shave...
(a good heavy pocket knife will do). I have gotten hand hammer and
sledge hammer handles from them, but I prefer the feel of a wood handle.
I do have a sledge with a plastic coated glass handle. Its tough, but
I still prefer a wood handle. Less jarring to my arms and shoulders.

https://www.avg.com

Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?

<tfojm9$2covb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=292&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#292

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:42:16 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 00:42 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:tfo03e$1efo$1@gioia.aioe.org...

MSC has a decent selection of Hickory wood handles in stock. Measure
the hole, find something close, and adjust to fit with a spoke shave...
(a good heavy pocket knife will do). I have gotten hand hammer and
sledge hammer handles from them, but I prefer the feel of a wood handle.
I do have a sledge with a plastic coated glass handle. Its tough, but
I still prefer a wood handle. Less jarring to my arms and shoulders.

----------------------
Bob gave the right answer IF you own a spokeshave. They aren't as generally
useful around the (old) house as a block plane because they don't offer as
much self-guidance to keep the cut straight and flat -- which makes them
ideal for the curves of the handle socket.

A wood rasp (very coarse file) used cross-grain removes hardwood about as
quickly as anything short of a hatchet or chainsaw. To fit the handle snugly
to the hole, hold the head close over a candle flame to soot the hole, press
the handle in until it jams and remove it, then file down the black contact
spots on it. Beveling the end of the handle may help by showing the areas
where a lot of wood must be removed. It's tedious but good practice, and a
lasting reminder not to misuse the tool.

These help the handle last much longer:
https://www.hammondhardware.com/p/handle-saver-093848898021

Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?

<tfolds$2cte5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=293&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#293

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:11:56 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 01:11 UTC

>A wood rasp (very coarse file) used cross-grain removes hardwood about as
>quickly as anything short of a hatchet or chainsaw.

If you lack tools and/or experience with them, the Nicholson 8 inch 4-in-1
Hand Rasp and File at Home Depot is a good start, partly because the ends
are safe to grab without having to fit handles. It isn't the best choice for
any particular task but it's good enough for a wide range of them.

Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?

<tftafg$32sfm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=294&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#294

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 12:36:15 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:36 UTC

On 9/12/2022 6:11 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> A wood rasp (very coarse file) used cross-grain removes hardwood about
>> as quickly as anything short of a hatchet or chainsaw.
>
> If you lack tools and/or experience with them, the Nicholson 8 inch
> 4-in-1 Hand Rasp and File at Home Depot is a good start, partly because
> the ends are safe to grab without having to fit handles. It isn't the
> best choice for any particular task but it's good enough for a wide
> range of them.

A sharp lock blade pocket knife and some care will do in a pinch. A
fixed blade work shop knife will also do the job. Just keep it sharp
and be careful. Razor knives however suck for this kind of work. To
small and to easily damaged.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?

<tfte7d$337gh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=295&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#295

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:39:40 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:39 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:tftafg$32sfm$1@dont-email.me...

On 9/12/2022 6:11 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> A wood rasp (very coarse file) used cross-grain removes hardwood about as
>> quickly as anything short of a hatchet or chainsaw.
>
> If you lack tools and/or experience with them, the Nicholson 8 inch 4-in-1
> Hand Rasp and File at Home Depot is a good start, partly because the ends
> are safe to grab without having to fit handles. It isn't the best choice
> for any particular task but it's good enough for a wide range of them.

A sharp lock blade pocket knife and some care will do in a pinch. A
fixed blade work shop knife will also do the job. Just keep it sharp
and be careful. Razor knives however suck for this kind of work. To
small and to easily damaged.

------------------------

I fully agree, however this line:

"It would need to fit just right of course. Are all .. type of handles for
axes, mauls like this, etc, pretty much the same standard configuration, and
pretty much any generic handle about the right size will fit, or not?"

suggested to me that the OP may not be familiar with woodworking tools, so I
decided not to mention any of the more aggressive and perhaps dangerous ways
I might fit a new wooden tool handle, like with a shingle hatchet or
drawknife. You never know who will read this stuff.

Re: replacing wooden maul handle with steel one?

<tfts4i$34com$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=296&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#296

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:37:38 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 00:37 UTC

On 9/14/2022 1:39 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:tftafg$32sfm$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 9/12/2022 6:11 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>> A wood rasp (very coarse file) used cross-grain removes hardwood
>>> about as quickly as anything short of a hatchet or chainsaw.
>>
>> If you lack tools and/or experience with them, the Nicholson 8 inch
>> 4-in-1 Hand Rasp and File at Home Depot is a good start, partly
>> because the ends are safe to grab without having to fit handles. It
>> isn't the best choice for any particular task but it's good enough for
>> a wide range of them.
>

> A sharp lock blade pocket knife and some care will do in a pinch.  A
> fixed blade work shop knife will also do the job.  Just keep it sharp
> and be careful.  Razor knives however suck for this kind of work.  To
> small and to easily damaged.
>
> ------------------------
>
> I fully agree, however this line:
>
> "It would need to fit just right of course. Are all .. type of handles
> for axes, mauls like this, etc, pretty much the same standard
> configuration, and pretty much any generic handle about the right size
> will fit, or not?"
>
> suggested to me that the OP may not be familiar with woodworking tools,
> so I decided not to mention any of the more aggressive and perhaps
> dangerous ways I might fit a new wooden tool handle, like with a shingle
> hatchet or drawknife. You never know who will read this stuff.

Fairnuff

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff