I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. -- Isaac Asimov

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

SubjectAuthor
* What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
+* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Papa3
|`* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
| +* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?waltco...@aol.com
| |`* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
| | `- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?soaringjac
| `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Eric Greenwell
|  `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Charles Longley
|   `- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Pat Russell
+* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Herbert Kilian
|`* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
| `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|  `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?wyll...@gmail.com
|   `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Roy B.
|    +* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|    |`- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
|    `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Dan Marotta
|     `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Roy B.
|      +* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|      |`* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?John Galloway
|      | `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?GliderCZ
|      |  `- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Charles Longley
|      `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Dan Marotta
|       `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|        +* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?2G
|        |`- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|        `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Dan Marotta
|         `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|          `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Ernesto / 2TK
|           `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Tony
|            `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Eric Greenwell
|             `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|              `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Tony
|               `* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Tony
|                +* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Eric Greenwell
|                |+* Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Roy B.
|                ||+- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?John Galloway
|                ||+- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?andy l
|                ||`- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?John Galloway
|                |+- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?John Cochrane
|                |+- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Chip Bearden
|                |`- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?youngbl...@gmail.com
|                `- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
`- Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?Rick Deckard

Pages:12
What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<b1025afc-a07e-43a0-a4ea-c11fc07584a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29156&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29156

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:01:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:01 UTC

Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<2dff7414-3d36-4015-838e-aea10de3438an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29157&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29157

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: erik.h.m...@gmail.com (Papa3)
 by: Papa3 - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:12 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:01:29 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist

I find anything dry/crunchy creates the "crumb problem". Crumbs lead to critters which leads to bad things like gnawing of instrument tubing, cushions etc. or worse, nesting in wings and fuselage.

My go-to items in no particular order:

- Small apples (the ones you buy in bags of 10 or 20)
- "Baby carrots" repacked into small ziplocs
- Energy bars like Cliff Bars. They are soft enough that they hold together even on hot days but without getting too sticky.

P3

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<85cd1dea-5334-4985-81e1-ee11f0a6eee2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29158&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29158

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:48 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:12:05 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:01:29 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist
> I find anything dry/crunchy creates the "crumb problem". Crumbs lead to critters which leads to bad things like gnawing of instrument tubing, cushions etc. or worse, nesting in wings and fuselage.
>
> My go-to items in no particular order:
>
> - Small apples (the ones you buy in bags of 10 or 20)
> - "Baby carrots" repacked into small ziplocs
> - Energy bars like Cliff Bars. They are soft enough that they hold together even on hot days but without getting too sticky.
>
> P3
You make a good point, crackers are too fragile and create rodent problems. Those Keebler crackers are good , but way too sweet, probably would create an instant heart attack. I did take a couple of Nutter Butter cookies once and they did ok, only made me thirsty and then the urine flowed. It is not like pulling up to a 7-11 and getting a hot dog, must really be aware of the side effects while flying. Apples have sugar, carrots on the other hand have much better benefits, yet they are much better cold than hot as we get here in Florida. I might try these little energy packs tomorrow that contain about two ounces of so called instant energy that some of the Keto Guys use. Old Bob, The Purist

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<567b7129-085c-4778-998f-e99f1e11c2c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29159&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29159

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:22:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: waltconn...@aol.com (waltco...@aol.com)
 by: waltco...@aol.com - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:22 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:48:34 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:12:05 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
> > On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:01:29 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist
> > I find anything dry/crunchy creates the "crumb problem". Crumbs lead to critters which leads to bad things like gnawing of instrument tubing, cushions etc. or worse, nesting in wings and fuselage.
> >
> > My go-to items in no particular order:
> >
> > - Small apples (the ones you buy in bags of 10 or 20)
> > - "Baby carrots" repacked into small ziplocs
> > - Energy bars like Cliff Bars. They are soft enough that they hold together even on hot days but without getting too sticky.
> >
> > P3
> You make a good point, crackers are too fragile and create rodent problems. Those Keebler crackers are good , but way too sweet, probably would create an instant heart attack. I did take a couple of Nutter Butter cookies once and they did ok, only made me thirsty and then the urine flowed. It is not like pulling up to a 7-11 and getting a hot dog, must really be aware of the side effects while flying. Apples have sugar, carrots on the other hand have much better benefits, yet they are much better cold than hot as we get here in Florida. I might try these little energy packs tomorrow that contain about two ounces of so called instant energy that some of the Keto Guys use. Old Bob, The Purist

During the Vietnam Police action and just after the recovery of an F4 crewman named Roger Locher the subject of survival snacks came up, something that would be available if you found yourself on the ground and that would be edible during a mission and not easily spoiled. Locher was on the ground for a bit over 3 weeks as I recall when he was recovered and had to live off the land while E&Eing.

As I recall the venerable TOOTSIE ROLL was decidedly the most favored. I kept a couple in the leg pockets of my flight suit along with a couple of water flasks. When they were available in the BX I would buy them and stick them in a mini refrigerator that I and my bunkmate had procured *(or should I have said purloined?). We kept said mini fridge in a locker with a hole drilled in the back for the cord. A Tootsie Roll will be good for two years after its production date. Guys who had bailed out would tell you that hunger was not a problem for the first couple of days but you would find your blood glucose dropping soon thereafter.

When I knew I would be having a particularly busy day flying tow I would stick a large one in my shirt pocket, nothing like maintaining your blood glucose levels. They would soften but never melted. A couple of bites of a Tootsie Roll and a swig of water and I could keep those cranky glider pilots launching and happy.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<217afe17-347e-4c4e-815d-7986c0ac4b2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29160&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29160

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 19:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: charlied...@gmail.com (Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot))
 by: Charlie M. (UH & - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 02:46 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 6:22:57 PM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:48:34 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I find anything dry/crunchy creates the "crumb problem". Crumbs lead to critters which leads to bad things like gnawing of instrument tubing, cushions etc. or worse, nesting in wings and fuselage.
> > >
> > > My go-to items in no particular order:
> > >
> > > - Small apples (the ones you buy in bags of 10 or 20)
> > > - "Baby carrots" repacked into small ziplocs
> > > - Energy bars like Cliff Bars. They are soft enough that they hold together even on hot days but without getting too sticky.
> > >
> > > P3
> > You make a good point, crackers are too fragile and create rodent problems. Those Keebler crackers are good , but way too sweet, probably would create an instant heart attack. I did take a couple of Nutter Butter cookies once and they did ok, only made me thirsty and then the urine flowed. It is not like pulling up to a 7-11 and getting a hot dog, must really be aware of the side effects while flying. Apples have sugar, carrots on the other hand have much better benefits, yet they are much better cold than hot as we get here in Florida. I might try these little energy packs tomorrow that contain about two ounces of so called instant energy that some of the Keto Guys use. Old Bob, The Purist
> During the Vietnam Police action and just after the recovery of an F4 crewman named Roger Locher the subject of survival snacks came up, something that would be available if you found yourself on the ground and that would be edible during a mission and not easily spoiled. Locher was on the ground for a bit over 3 weeks as I recall when he was recovered and had to live off the land while E&Eing.
>
> As I recall the venerable TOOTSIE ROLL was decidedly the most favored. I kept a couple in the leg pockets of my flight suit along with a couple of water flasks. When they were available in the BX I would buy them and stick them in a mini refrigerator that I and my bunkmate had procured *(or should I have said purloined?). We kept said mini fridge in a locker with a hole drilled in the back for the cord. A Tootsie Roll will be good for two years after its production date. Guys who had bailed out would tell you that hunger was not a problem for the first couple of days but you would find your blood glucose dropping soon thereafter.
>
> When I knew I would be having a particularly busy day flying tow I would stick a large one in my shirt pocket, nothing like maintaining your blood glucose levels. They would soften but never melted. A couple of bites of a Tootsie Roll and a swig of water and I could keep those cranky glider pilots launching and happy.
>
> Walt Connelly
> Former Tow Pilot
> Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

Tootsie rolls sound decent.
I have done bananas, baby carrots and various cookies (soft type are neater to eat).
Currently I do several small prewrapped rice krispy treats. Small, boosts sugar, not too dry, not messy, only squish in side pocket.
YMMV

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<1909083b-2d05-47c5-aac1-d1919861c06en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29161&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29161

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 20:10:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe...@scientifantastic.com (soaringjac)
 by: soaringjac - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 03:10 UTC

I take these. love them! and they don't make a mess
https://sansmealbar.com/products/sans-bar-coconut

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<ti2qds$1p55$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29163&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29163

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:11:39 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 04:11 UTC

On 10/10/2022 2:48 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:12:05 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
>> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 5:01:29 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist
>> I find anything dry/crunchy creates the "crumb problem". Crumbs lead to critters which leads to bad things like gnawing of instrument tubing, cushions etc. or worse, nesting in wings and fuselage.
>>
>> My go-to items in no particular order:
>>
>> - Small apples (the ones you buy in bags of 10 or 20)
>> - "Baby carrots" repacked into small ziplocs
>> - Energy bars like Cliff Bars. They are soft enough that they hold together even on hot days but without getting too sticky.
>>
>> P3
> You make a good point, crackers are too fragile and create rodent problems. Those Keebler crackers are good , but way too sweet, probably would create an instant heart attack. I did take a couple of Nutter Butter cookies once and they did ok, only made me thirsty and then the urine flowed. It is not like pulling up to a 7-11 and getting a hot dog, must really be aware of the side effects while flying. Apples have sugar, carrots on the other hand have much better benefits, yet they are much better cold than hot as we get here in Florida. I might try these little energy packs tomorrow that contain about two ounces of so called instant energy that some of the Keto Guys use. Old Bob, The Purist

About 1 oz each of mixed nuts and dried cherries/cranberries, baby carrots (in a small
baggie to keep the moisture off the other stuff), and a PB&J sandwich, all in a zip lock
bag. A couple low calorie granola bars are backup, should I run out the primary goodies.

That assortment works in hot or cold, and doesn't leave crumbs in the glider.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<4d8967d5-5029-4af1-99e7-a6c5a5a2d31bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29164&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29164

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 23:18:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: kuzit...@gmail.com (Charles Longley)
 by: Charles Longley - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:18 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 9:11:45 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On 10/10/2022 2:48 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I find anything dry/crunchy creates the "crumb problem". Crumbs lead to critters which leads to bad things like gnawing of instrument tubing, cushions etc. or worse, nesting in wings and fuselage.
> >>
> >> My go-to items in no particular order:
> >>
> >> - Small apples (the ones you buy in bags of 10 or 20)
> >> - "Baby carrots" repacked into small ziplocs
> >> - Energy bars like Cliff Bars. They are soft enough that they hold together even on hot days but without getting too sticky.
> >>
> >> P3
> > You make a good point, crackers are too fragile and create rodent problems. Those Keebler crackers are good , but way too sweet, probably would create an instant heart attack. I did take a couple of Nutter Butter cookies once and they did ok, only made me thirsty and then the urine flowed. It is not like pulling up to a 7-11 and getting a hot dog, must really be aware of the side effects while flying. Apples have sugar, carrots on the other hand have much better benefits, yet they are much better cold than hot as we get here in Florida. I might try these little energy packs tomorrow that contain about two ounces of so called instant energy that some of the Keto Guys use. Old Bob, The Purist
> About 1 oz each of mixed nuts and dried cherries/cranberries, baby carrots (in a small
> baggie to keep the moisture off the other stuff), and a PB&J sandwich, all in a zip lock
> bag. A couple low calorie granola bars are backup, should I run out the primary goodies.
>
> That assortment works in hot or cold, and doesn't leave crumbs in the glider.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - USA
> - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
Nature Bakery fig bars is my number one choice-
https://www.naturesbakery.com/shop-snacks/whole-wheat-fig-bars?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhY-aBhCUARIsALNIC06Hk7qdvgs-rLFHMNxnamsscBEq7Wh_q3BoxJSg6mzaqg0TvNNmBPMaAi9FEALw_wcB
Otherwise I’ll do a subway sandwich and or banana. MRE’s for emergency land out/crash food.

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<b13eb998-8957-4426-8189-f6eaf540bf82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29167&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29167

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:04:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: pt.rs...@gmail.com (Pat Russell)
 by: Pat Russell - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:04 UTC

Yes, Fig Newtons. A bit of sugar, some protein, and it doesn't matter if you sit on them.

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<8fbadf26-c3ff-4dbe-b177-378d84242f27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29171&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29171

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: herbkil...@gmail.com (Herbert Kilian)
 by: Herbert Kilian - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:06 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 4:01:29 PM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist
Not sure where you're coming from, Ricky-Bobbie. I never recommended crackers. Stirring your ugly pot, please leave my name out of your discharges. You have nothing to tell me.

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<79bda153-f847-451a-9979-f78b76d0e824n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29174&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29174

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:46:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 18:46 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 12:06:22 PM UTC-4, Herbert Kilian wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 4:01:29 PM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist
> Not sure where you're coming from, Ricky-Bobbie. I never recommended crackers. Stirring your ugly pot, please leave my name out of your discharges. You have nothing to tell me.
Well Herb, I am a bit confused, you went on a soaring forum page last week where I had simply posted a picture from my cockpit of the 27, you made a vile comment about me being ."ANNOYING", why would you do something like that on a different venue where nothing was said about you or anything other than a posted picture. Maybe you should go back and see the Facebook Soaring Forum and ask yourself why you would post something like that on such a venue. You are beginning to act a lot like Tom. Old Bob. The Purist

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<6b1b61e5-c4af-423a-819e-b43847e49ff0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29177&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29177

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 22:11 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 2:46:20 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 12:06:22 PM UTC-4, Herbert Kilian wrote:
> > On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 4:01:29 PM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Now I have asked to be a bit more civil and I am trying very diligently to obey the Motorglider gents request. I have taken a few snacks on flights, but some are better than others. Don't get upset Herb, but crackers don't fare well in the side pockets, they get crushed. The best thing that I have found is a granola bar . Cannot take chocolate in Florida, it gets too hot, chocolate melts. I have made myself a vest that I can insert frozen packs into for the purpose of keeping cool. Now this post is killing me, it is way too benign for OBTP. Maybe I should join RAS Prime. Old Bob, The Purist
> > Not sure where you're coming from, Ricky-Bobbie. I never recommended crackers. Stirring your ugly pot, please leave my name out of your discharges.. You have nothing to tell me.
> Well Herb, I am a bit confused, you went on a soaring forum page last week where I had simply posted a picture from my cockpit of the 27, you made a vile comment about me being ."ANNOYING", why would you do something like that on a different venue where nothing was said about you or anything other than a posted picture. Maybe you should go back and see the Facebook Soaring Forum and ask yourself why you would post something like that on such a venue. You are beginning to act a lot like Tom. Old Bob. The Purist
Back to the original question, I find that Nature Valley makes several individually packaged bars that hold together and do not make a mess in the cockpit. My favorite is the Nature Valley Oats and Honey Granola bars. Easily stored, well packaged, taste good and keep your energy up. OBTP

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<4ac2e570-33f6-4983-894c-1a9b01d56842n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29178&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29178

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: wylls...@gmail.com (wyll...@gmail.com)
 by: wyll...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 23:54 UTC

A footlong subway sandwich cut in two. You never know when you will need both lunch and dinner in flight (or landout).

Wyll

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<ae530d5d-0387-45a7-a886-060f67b66522n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29182&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29182

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 21:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: roy...@bourgeoiswhite.com (Roy B.)
 by: Roy B. - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 04:41 UTC

Bob:
For myself, I take dried fruit roll-ups and similar non messy, non melty things to eat. I also like beef jerky. But an essential part of my land out kit: MILKBONES. That's right, the dog treat. I recommend the big ones. In 49 years of gliding and more land outs than I can remember, I do remember 4 different farm guard dogs - each of which had been waiting all of its life for that moment when it needed to protect the farm from me and whatever that big white thing that came from the sky was . . . Think of it a a peace offering.
ROY

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<b234701e-4824-43d9-aac4-0c9892542fddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29184&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29184

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 04:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 11:38 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 12:41:08 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
> Bob:
> For myself, I take dried fruit roll-ups and similar non messy, non melty things to eat. I also like beef jerky. But an essential part of my land out kit: MILKBONES. That's right, the dog treat. I recommend the big ones. In 49 years of gliding and more land outs than I can remember, I do remember 4 different farm guard dogs - each of which had been waiting all of its life for that moment when it needed to protect the farm from me and whatever that big white thing that came from the sky was . . . Think of it a a peace offering.
> ROY
Excellent idea, I never thought of that but probably should, most farms around Florida do have dogs. I do carry a small concealed protection device and a very small airhorn when I take some longer tracks through the swamp areas. We do have big alligators and lots of nasty snakes, and at times some unfriendly strangers lurking for easy prey. As you know our summer temps can be brutal and therefore anything that can melt is a problem, I guess you will find the same in Arizona.
Not to change the subject from food to comfort, but I also carry two bottles of completely frozen water, I rigged a holder that is directly in front of my fuselage side vent and place the frozen water bottle right in the airflow, as I fly the cool air really drops the temp in the cockpit rather rapidly and the waiter thaws and makes for a cool drink as the day goes along. That cool H2O along with the Nature Bar comes in handy. Old Bob, The Purist

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<d04705ee-fbd4-4c5b-bc89-1477251adac8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29187&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29187

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 05:37:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: jhder...@gmail.com (John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net)
 by: John DeRosa OHM Ω - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:37 UTC

Cliff bars - They come in all kinds of flavors. No crumbs. Chewy enough to enjoy the texture.

Twizzlers or Red Vines - Chewy, sugary. Not messy. A small treat for the crew. I prefer the bite sized.

John (OHM)

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<ti6ol0$1guhk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29199&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29199

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:05:51 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:05 UTC

Yeah... I got bit by a farm dog while retrieving my partner on a land
out in Colorado.

Dan
5J

On 10/11/22 22:41, Roy B. wrote:
> Bob:
> For myself, I take dried fruit roll-ups and similar non messy, non melty things to eat. I also like beef jerky. But an essential part of my land out kit: MILKBONES. That's right, the dog treat. I recommend the big ones. In 49 years of gliding and more land outs than I can remember, I do remember 4 different farm guard dogs - each of which had been waiting all of its life for that moment when it needed to protect the farm from me and whatever that big white thing that came from the sky was . . . Think of it a a peace offering.
> ROY

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<12affbb8-7139-4d16-b117-92e1d55ca9bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29202&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29202

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 09:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: roy...@bourgeoiswhite.com (Roy B.)
 by: Roy B. - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 16:55 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 9:06:13 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Yeah... I got bit by a farm dog while retrieving my partner on a land
> out in Colorado.

Yup, dog snacks are the only possible solution. Imagine saying, "Hello Mr Farmer, I just landed a glider in your back field, and I shot your dog . . ."
Probably wouldn't go over very well.
ROY

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<1b102c83-0179-4a63-b16e-a9f2ac3f6e10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29207&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29207

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:54:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:54 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 12:55:14 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 9:06:13 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > Yeah... I got bit by a farm dog while retrieving my partner on a land
> > out in Colorado.
> >
> Yup, dog snacks are the only possible solution. Imagine saying, "Hello Mr Farmer, I just landed a glider in your back field, and I shot your dog . . ."
> Probably wouldn't go over very well.
> ROY
Great point, the protection is not for the dogs, only the alligators and snakes. Alligators can weigh well over 1000 pounds and run faster than a horse, get near a nest and you have a serious problem. OBTP

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<a8ed2c54-dedb-491b-8420-52d0e066771fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29210&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29210

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jpg...@gmail.com (John Galloway)
 by: John Galloway - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 04:46 UTC

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 20:54:25 UTC+1, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 12:55:14 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 9:06:13 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > > Yeah... I got bit by a farm dog while retrieving my partner on a land
> > > out in Colorado.
> > >
> > Yup, dog snacks are the only possible solution. Imagine saying, "Hello Mr Farmer, I just landed a glider in your back field, and I shot your dog . . ."
> > Probably wouldn't go over very well.
> > ROY
> Great point, the protection is not for the dogs, only the alligators and snakes. Alligators can weigh well over 1000 pounds and run faster than a horse, get near a nest and you have a serious problem. OBTP

What is a "small concealed protection device", as per your earlier post?

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<66ca5492-7fb3-4724-bf20-9a7e0526332en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29211&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29211

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 22:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: cfcz...@cox.net (GliderCZ)
 by: GliderCZ - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 05:16 UTC

> What is a "small concealed protection device", as per your earlier post?

Please, please don't ask! We're bound for another second-amendment, "why a gun in a glider is essential to freedom (cus, ah, 'Murica!)" thread...

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<03dd5784-af0c-4001-84b2-1960bae6b4d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29213&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29213

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 00:45:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: kuzit...@gmail.com (Charles Longley)
 by: Charles Longley - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 07:45 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 1:16:39 AM UTC-4, GliderCZ wrote:
> > What is a "small concealed protection device", as per your earlier post?
> Please, please don't ask! We're bound for another second-amendment, "why a gun in a glider is essential to freedom (cus, ah, 'Murica!)" thread...
I’ve taken to carrying my Glock after a friend landed out next to a Mountain Lion.

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<ti9db2$1qqk2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29217&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29217

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 10:11:14 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:11 UTC

Actually the farmer was pretty nice. He had what looked like a dozen
dogs and they were are all crowded around but one of them circled around
back and got my ankle. The farmer gave me alcohol (isopropyl) and some
paper towels to clean up.

That aside, he was very helpful, using his tractor with front loader to
take down his fence and then to tow our LS-6a out of the field so that
we could load it up.

The dog had its shots and I got a tetanus shot just to be sure. No
problems...

Oh, and to stay on topic, I like apples and nuts in flight.

Dan
5J

On 10/12/22 10:55, Roy B. wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 9:06:13 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Yeah... I got bit by a farm dog while retrieving my partner on a land
>> out in Colorado.
>>
> Yup, dog snacks are the only possible solution. Imagine saying, "Hello Mr Farmer, I just landed a glider in your back field, and I shot your dog . . ."
> Probably wouldn't go over very well.
> ROY

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<dcba6049-813e-4a87-99d6-c66102178047n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29218&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29218

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:52:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 20:52 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 12:11:18 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Actually the farmer was pretty nice. He had what looked like a dozen
> dogs and they were are all crowded around but one of them circled around
> back and got my ankle. The farmer gave me alcohol (isopropyl) and some
> paper towels to clean up.
>
> That aside, he was very helpful, using his tractor with front loader to
> take down his fence and then to tow our LS-6a out of the field so that
> we could load it up.
>
> The dog had its shots and I got a tetanus shot just to be sure. No
> problems...
>
> Oh, and to stay on topic, I like apples and nuts in flight.
>
> Dan
> 5J

Yes, I do carry an apple at times, but apples are not my favorite except with crunchy peanut butter and that makes things difficult. I do like crackers, yet they crush easily, I do like the idea of some of the fruit filled softer type snacks, and the jerky sounds good except for the smell and the greasy hands. I grow lots of mangoes and I have dried a few and taken the slices with me which turn out to be very good. Dried Mangoes are delicious, supply energy and easily stored and will not melt. Try a nice dried Valencia Pride mango or a Carrie, they will make you fly better, especially the motorglider guys. Old Bob, The Purist
> On 10/12/22 10:55, Roy B. wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 9:06:13 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
> >> Yeah... I got bit by a farm dog while retrieving my partner on a land
> >> out in Colorado.
> >>
> > Yup, dog snacks are the only possible solution. Imagine saying, "Hello Mr Farmer, I just landed a glider in your back field, and I shot your dog . . ."
> > Probably wouldn't go over very well.
> > ROY

Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?

<9d3d1d45-1ba1-49bb-9bd2-ca1e9b275d52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29227&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29227

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 21:27:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (2G)
 by: 2G - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 04:27 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 1:52:41 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 12:11:18 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > Actually the farmer was pretty nice. He had what looked like a dozen
> > dogs and they were are all crowded around but one of them circled around
> > back and got my ankle. The farmer gave me alcohol (isopropyl) and some
> > paper towels to clean up.
> >
> > That aside, he was very helpful, using his tractor with front loader to
> > take down his fence and then to tow our LS-6a out of the field so that
> > we could load it up.
> >
> > The dog had its shots and I got a tetanus shot just to be sure. No
> > problems...
> >
> > Oh, and to stay on topic, I like apples and nuts in flight.
> >
> > Dan
> > 5J
> Yes, I do carry an apple at times, but apples are not my favorite except with crunchy peanut butter and that makes things difficult. I do like crackers, yet they crush easily, I do like the idea of some of the fruit filled softer type snacks, and the jerky sounds good except for the smell and the greasy hands. I grow lots of mangoes and I have dried a few and taken the slices with me which turn out to be very good. Dried Mangoes are delicious, supply energy and easily stored and will not melt. Try a nice dried Valencia Pride mango or a Carrie, they will make you fly better, especially the motorglider guys. Old Bob, The Purist
> > >>
> > > Yup, dog snacks are the only possible solution. Imagine saying, "Hello Mr Farmer, I just landed a glider in your back field, and I shot your dog . . ."
> > > Probably wouldn't go over very well.
> > > ROY

Hey PottyMouth, why don't you collect ROAD KILL for your snacks? It certainly reflects you demeanor...

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: What do you take for a snack while flying gliders?