Real Users know your home telephone number.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?Bret Chilcott
`* Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?Bret Chilcott
 `- Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?youngbl...@gmail.com

1
Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

<45700e33-006d-4aa8-98c1-9c4fb5bc1f5bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29474&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29474

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 16:24:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?
From: bretchil...@gmail.com (Bret Chilcott)
 by: Bret Chilcott - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 23:24 UTC

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 11:38:19 AM UTC-5, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
> I summarize the 1-35 flaps thusly: it is neither necessary nor abnormal to use full flap in a typical land-at-home situation. Sure nice to have those flaps and skid landing off-airport (7x for me).
>

> Except in extraordinary gusty conditions &c., I settled into flying downwind at 700' and selecting full flap on base in the C model after gaining about 50 of my 300+ hours in type. Mainly because I am lazy and there's no detent other than full.
>
> Downwind that low put me out of sight behind trees, though, and in spite of my having a radio, a student wing-runner launched an opposite-direction tow as I was turning base. Whatever.

Thank you all for this thread. It is very helpful in my pursuit of my first glider.
Bret C / Kansas

Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

<3414a80e-6d3f-412e-bfda-d5635ddc0be1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29681&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29681

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:14:04 -0800 (PST)
From: bretchil...@gmail.com (Bret Chilcott)
 by: Bret Chilcott - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 17:14 UTC

On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 6:24:21 PM UTC-5, Bret Chilcott wrote:
> On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 11:38:19 AM UTC-5, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I summarize the 1-35 flaps thusly: it is neither necessary nor abnormal to use full flap in a typical land-at-home situation. Sure nice to have those flaps and skid landing off-airport (7x for me).
> >

> > Except in extraordinary gusty conditions &c., I settled into flying downwind at 700' and selecting full flap on base in the C model after gaining about 50 of my 300+ hours in type. Mainly because I am lazy and there's no detent other than full.
> >
> > Downwind that low put me out of sight behind trees, though, and in spite of my having a radio, a student wing-runner launched an opposite-direction tow as I was turning base. Whatever.
> Thank you all for this thread. It is very helpful in my pursuit of my first glider.
> Bret C / Kansas

Group:
This thread helped me immensely in determining which make and model of glider to purchase as my first ship.

Anyone else who follows this thread in the future should also purchase the book: "Transition To Single Seat Gliders" by Bob Wander. He does an excellent job in his book explaining the pros and cons of a glider with flaps only. I encourage anyone who is considering to purchase their first glider to invest in this book.
Thanks!

Bret C
Kansas

Re: Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

<1cd003a2-965b-456d-a860-1bd143427a16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29687&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29687

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:57:36 -0800 (PST)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:57 UTC

On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 12:14:06 PM UTC-5, bretch...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 6:24:21 PM UTC-5, Bret Chilcott wrote:
> > On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 11:38:19 AM UTC-5, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I summarize the 1-35 flaps thusly: it is neither necessary nor abnormal to use full flap in a typical land-at-home situation. Sure nice to have those flaps and skid landing off-airport (7x for me).
> > >

> > > Except in extraordinary gusty conditions &c., I settled into flying downwind at 700' and selecting full flap on base in the C model after gaining about 50 of my 300+ hours in type. Mainly because I am lazy and there's no detent other than full.
> > >
> > > Downwind that low put me out of sight behind trees, though, and in spite of my having a radio, a student wing-runner launched an opposite-direction tow as I was turning base. Whatever.
> > Thank you all for this thread. It is very helpful in my pursuit of my first glider.
> > Bret C / Kansas
> Group:
> This thread helped me immensely in determining which make and model of glider to purchase as my first ship.
>
> Anyone else who follows this thread in the future should also purchase the book: "Transition To Single Seat Gliders" by Bob Wander. He does an excellent job in his book explaining the pros and cons of a glider with flaps only. I encourage anyone who is considering to purchase their first glider to invest in this book.
> Thanks!
>
> Bret C
> Kansas
Bret, I am going to go back a few decades ago, but my first glider as a Std.. Cirrus, I had ben flying a 126 prior to that. After flying the Cirrus my wife and I bought an ASW20L, what a beauty and great flying ship. My old friend Walter Cawby told me, "That Ship Will Kill You", yet it did not. I actually put Eileen in the 20 and she flew it very well, she had only flown a Schweizer 126 prior. Now remember this ship had those beautiful Jesus flaps that were absolutely wonderful yet a few found themselves in the graveyard from not paying attention to the airplane in a certain flap , speed configuration. Yes, it would go over the top when you were not on the numbers. My late friend and fellow pilot E9, would always say, " Don't Thermal Below Bob:"!
Now moving forward some 40 plus years , my wife still flies the ASW27B, and she also flies her ASW24. I too fly those same birds and as some people say we are no spring chickens. I am looking for a new glider, 18 meter, and if I found a PURE 18 meter ship with flaps I would not hesitate putting my 70 + years old wife in it and say tell me how it flies. Yet having over 3000 hours in mostly flapped gliders I would say that those flaps work to your advantage. Old Bob, The Purist