Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 03:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SSME based SSTO's.
From: rgregory...@yahoo.com (Robert Clark)
 by: Robert Clark - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 10:33 UTC

Monday, June 21, 2021
SSME based SSTO’s.
https://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2021/06/ssme-based-sstos.html

Robert Clark

Re: SSME based SSTO's.

<MPG.3b42b0cf96487553989de3@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2970&group=sci.space.policy#2970

From: jfind...@cinci.nospam.rr.com (Jeff Findley)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: SSME based SSTO's.
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 16:59:44 -0400
 by: Jeff Findley - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 20:59 UTC

In article <b8d67b7c-9a13-4acc-bfd4-66577acb8a2dn@googlegroups.com>,
rgregoryclark@yahoo.com says...

> Monday, June 21, 2021
> SSME based SSTO?s.
> https://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2021/06/ssme-based-sstos.html

It's an interesting thought experiment. But, SSTOs using SSMEs would be
expensive to operate. The SSMEs would require frequent tear-downs and
rebuilds. And that's ignoring all the other issues the LH2 would bring
to the table.

If we had good numbers on Raptor, it would be another interesting
thought experiment to come up with an SSTO using Raptor. Starship,
after a bit more refinement, would surely likely be capable of SSTO. I
wouldn't put it past Musk to fly a Starship as an SSTO twice just to get
it in the record books as the first reusable SSTO.

Jeff

Re: SSME based SSTO's.

<mn.db807e560e079f4d.127094@snitoo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2973&group=sci.space.policy#2973

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 14:56:40 -0700
 by: Snidely - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 21:56 UTC

Just this Sunday, Jeff Findley explained that ...
> In article <b8d67b7c-9a13-4acc-bfd4-66577acb8a2dn@googlegroups.com>,
> rgregoryclark@yahoo.com says...
>>
>> Monday, June 21, 2021
>> SSME based SSTO?s.
>> https://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2021/06/ssme-based-sstos.html
>
> It's an interesting thought experiment. But, SSTOs using SSMEs would be
> expensive to operate. The SSMEs would require frequent tear-downs and
> rebuilds. And that's ignoring all the other issues the LH2 would bring
> to the table.
>
> If we had good numbers on Raptor, it would be another interesting
> thought experiment to come up with an SSTO using Raptor. Starship,
> after a bit more refinement, would surely likely be capable of SSTO. I
> wouldn't put it past Musk to fly a Starship as an SSTO twice just to get
> it in the record books as the first reusable SSTO.

Elon has already been reported to have said (or caught tweeting, maybe)
that an *empty* Starship should be able to reach orbit.

I'd expect an update of Raptor to make that easier, though I'm
unwilling to say Mk IV or anything that specific. The test flight
Raptors appear to be out-of-date already, with visible changes showing
up at Boca Chica on "early production" Raptors.

A way to provide extra fuel in the cargo space would also make SSTO
easier. So probably an uncrewed flight if this mod is done.

/dps

--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."