The two most common things in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity. -- Harlan Ellison

tech / sci.space.policy / UFOs !

SubjectAuthor
* UFOs !JF Mezei
`* Re: UFOs !Jeff Findley
 +- Re: UFOs !JF Mezei
 `* Re: UFOs !Greg \(Strider\) Moore
  `* Re: UFOs !dumpster4@hotmail.com
   `- Re: UFOs !dumpster4@hotmail.com

1
UFOs !

<9mNBI.300465$gZ.296444@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=sci.space.policy#2967

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Subject: UFOs !
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 17:54:12 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 21:54 UTC

Much talk about UFOs lately,

including this amazingly precise and highly detailed video that leaves 0
room for mis-interpretation :-)
https://youtu.be/9KAZE1wmV9k

So this brings this question:

when something falls out of the sky, such as fairings from a falcon9
launch, could their light weight and aerodynamic properties result in
their trajectory making them appear to be floating in the sky, or would
in all circumstances and from all angles be very obvious that they are
falling vertically or only slight diagonal trajectory due to wind? (at
least from altitudes reacheable by helicopters).

Apart form fairings, would there be other objects that would survive
re-entry AND be light enough to "parachute" down slowly?

For the Shuttle, from what I gather, the ET was jettisoed about 7581m/s
or 27,000kmh which is at or near orbital speed, but at altitude of
105km. It apparently made it from Kennedy to the Indian Ocean, so
roughly half an orbit. (which is quite different from Falcon9 whose bits
fall near KSC).

Since the ET made it to 105km altitude at near orbital speed without
burning up, how come it burns up on the way down? (or did it?). Once
empty, I would assume that atmospheric drag would slow it down such that
it would end up going through atmosphere at lower speed than when it was
being pushed by 3 SSMEs on the way up at same altitude.

Do we know that the ETs burned up, or could there be a big pile of
intact ETs sitting at bottom of the Indian Ocean?

And as a reslity check, if the above video was from infrared camera,
would the "black" object signifiy that it is cold? Or just that it is
colder than the background/sky ? is it normal that an object at low
altiutude would be colder than the infrared received from clouds at much
higher altitude?

If an object is moving through the air, shouldn't it have some heat on
its skin due to aerodynamic drag and thus appear brighter?

Re: UFOs !

<MPG.3b42b29e599fe6d6989de5@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2972&group=sci.space.policy#2972

From: jfind...@cinci.nospam.rr.com (Jeff Findley)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: UFOs !
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 17:07:26 -0400
 by: Jeff Findley - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 21:07 UTC

In article <9mNBI.300465$gZ.296444@fx44.iad>,
jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca says...

> when something falls out of the sky, such as fairings from a falcon9
> launch, could their light weight and aerodynamic properties result in
> their trajectory making them appear to be floating in the sky, or would
> in all circumstances and from all angles be very obvious that they are
> falling vertically or only slight diagonal trajectory due to wind? (at
> least from altitudes reacheable by helicopters).
>
> Apart form fairings, would there be other objects that would survive
> re-entry AND be light enough to "parachute" down slowly?
>
> For the Shuttle, from what I gather, the ET was jettisoed about 7581m/s
> or 27,000kmh which is at or near orbital speed, but at altitude of
> 105km. It apparently made it from Kennedy to the Indian Ocean, so
> roughly half an orbit. (which is quite different from Falcon9 whose bits
> fall near KSC).
>
> Since the ET made it to 105km altitude at near orbital speed without
> burning up, how come it burns up on the way down? (or did it?).

It was deliberately made to tumble to prevent it from ever slamming into
the ocean (more or less) intact. Cite:

https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/et.html

From above:

The liquid oxygen tank contains a separate, pyrotechnically
operated, propulsive tumble vent valve at its forward end.
At separation, the liquid oxygen tumble vent valve is opened,
providing impulse to assist in the separation maneuver and
more positive control of the entry aerodynamics of the ET.

> Once
> empty, I would assume that atmospheric drag would slow it down such that
> it would end up going through atmosphere at lower speed than when it was
> being pushed by 3 SSMEs on the way up at same altitude.
>
> Do we know that the ETs burned up, or could there be a big pile of
> intact ETs sitting at bottom of the Indian Ocean?

Yes, they all tumbled and broke up.

Jeff

Re: UFOs !

<oa8CI.863360$nn2.575486@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2975&group=sci.space.policy#2975

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 19:51:48 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 23:51 UTC

On 2021-06-27 17:07, Jeff Findley wrote:

> Yes, they all tumbled and broke up.

So in the context of "UFOs" the ETs would appear to be UFO falling out
of the sky into Indian Ocean? (if they didnt burn up and fell as large
sheets of light/not dense material.

Re: UFOs !

<sbb68c$49l$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2976&group=sci.space.policy#2976

From: moor...@deletethisgreenms.com (Greg \(Strider\) Moore)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 20:48:12 -0400
 by: Greg \(Strider\) Moo - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 00:48 UTC

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

>> Do we know that the ETs burned up, or could there be a big pile of
>> intact ETs sitting at bottom of the Indian Ocean?
>
>Yes, they all tumbled and broke up.
>
>Jeff

I do wish NASA had done at least one mission where they attempted to keep a
stable ET and see how far it would get. I fully expect it would have
eventually broken up, but it was the ultimate in large, low density
re-entry. Would have been some interesting research I think.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Response-Lessons-Learned-Field/dp/1484221834/

Re: UFOs !

<6b33d073-3e0d-4bfa-861a-d7319b472d8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2990&group=sci.space.policy#2990

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 17:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: dumpst...@hotmail.com (dumpster4@hotmail.com)
 by: dumpster4@hotmail.co - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 00:47 UTC

Well, the government report is out, though it has classified bits that weren't released to the public:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41298/uap-task-force-report-offers-limited-answers-while-drawing-the-public-spotlight

Re: UFOs !

<ffd98210-2fa6-4cf2-926e-c5acb90948e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3000&group=sci.space.policy#3000

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 01:54:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: dumpst...@hotmail.com (dumpster4@hotmail.com)
 by: dumpster4@hotmail.co - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 08:54 UTC

UFO hearings coming?

Democratic Congressman André Carson wants hearings on UFO sightings:

"Democratic Congressman André Carson of Indiana said Sunday that he wants
Congress to conduct hearings on purported sightings of UFOs in the wake of a
Pentagon report examining the so-called "unidentified aerial phenomena" (UAPs).

In an interview with "Face the Nation," Carson, who chairs the subcommittee on
counterintelligence and counterproliferation on the House Intelligence
Committee, said it is his "hope" there will be a "series of hearings," including one
that is public, in the "very near future.""

See:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/andre-carson-ufos-congress-hearings-face-the-nation/