Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Subject: Orbital laiunch pad: flame trench?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 11:28:53 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:28 UTC

I know I have asked before but since the Orbital Launch Pad at Boca
Chica is really taking shape now, I'll ask again in case someone has
gotten some details.

The pictures so far show the supporting structure (those big white
pipes) over a FLAT concrete base.

At this point of construction, is it fair to conclude that SpaceX has no
plans for a flame trench?

It is possible to build a round wall aroud the base with an opening at
one side to act as the equivalent of a flame trench ?

If SpaceX intends to use Boca Chica as permanent manufactiuring
facility, won't it be launching newly built modules from there in order
to deliver them to either Florida or floating oil rigs? (aka: there is a
need for a permanent facility, not a temporary one).

Or is there expectation that the orbital launch pad is just "iterarive"
and a real one will be built at a later time?

Re: Orbital laiunch pad: flame trench?

<mn.e47b7e56cd7f82ee.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2988&group=sci.space.policy#2988

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Orbital laiunch pad: flame trench?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 19:07:33 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 02:07 UTC

JF Mezei was thinking very hard :
> I know I have asked before but since the Orbital Launch Pad at Boca
> Chica is really taking shape now, I'll ask again in case someone has
> gotten some details.
>
> The pictures so far show the supporting structure (those big white
> pipes) over a FLAT concrete base.
>
> At this point of construction, is it fair to conclude that SpaceX has no
> plans for a flame trench?

Elon has even indicated publicly that they aren't doing a frame trench.
However, the height of the launch table provides help.

> It is possible to build a round wall aroud the base with an opening at
> one side to act as the equivalent of a flame trench ?

Dunno. Get a torch and some quickcrete and start modeling.

> If SpaceX intends to use Boca Chica as permanent manufactiuring
> facility, won't it be launching newly built modules from there in order
> to deliver them to either Florida or floating oil rigs? (aka: there is a
> need for a permanent facility, not a temporary one).
>

> Or is there expectation that the orbital launch pad is just "iterarive"
> and a real one will be built at a later time?

We'll find out.

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.