Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 10:26:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Youth Soaring Camps at Sugarbush Soaring Association
From: mudhillf...@gmail.com (Tom A)
 by: Tom A - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 18:26 UTC

The Youth Soaring Camps are overnight, week-long summer camps held at the Warren-Sugarbush Airport (0B7), in Warren, Vermont. They are open to youth ages 13 through 18. We have been running these unique and popular camps for over two decades. They are a fantastic opportunity for youth who are passionate about aviation and want to improve their flying skills, learn about life through flying and share an amazing “real” experience with other young people interested in aviation.

Each camper receives ten instructional flights and daily ground school sessions. Topics include aerodynamics, airspace, regulations, glider/aircraft components, launch and recovery procedures, glider maneuvers, soaring techniques and aviation career options. Instructional flights are conducted by our highly experienced, FAA-certificated flight instructors in our two-place gliders (one ASK-21, two PW-6s, and two SGS 2-33s). Advanced, qualified students may also fly in our newly restored SGS 1-26.

Other activities include kayaking, swimming, sports of your choice (favorites include Frisbee, soccer and manhunt), a bonfire and stargazing. Subject to availability and current Covid regulations, additional activities may include an instructional flight in a 1941 Taylorcraft tail-wheel aircraft and/or a visit to the Burlington International Airport (BTV) Tower and Approach Control Facility.

Meals are provided from dinner on Sunday (night of arrival) to breakfast on Saturday (morning of departure), except for one ‘night out’ for dinner and a movie. We camp out on the airport, so each participant needs to bring a tent and sleeping bag. Maturity, interest in aviation, willingness to learn, sense of adventure. This is the real deal, with no “reset button”; our goal is to make you the best pilot you can be.

We are starting a waiting list for the 2023 Youth Soaring Camps as we may have some openings this year. No deposit is required for wait lists. The waitlist form is here: https://forms.gle/12U3wppeY5tXbCS17 These camps fill up quickly and if you are interested we suggest filling out the waitlist form as soon as possible as it your place in the queue is one of the factors for camper selection.
For us to make sure that the prospective campers are a good fit for the camp and with the other campers, we ask that they fill out the second section of the waitlist forms. As flying is a serious (and fun) endeavor, the prospective camper’s interest is key. Please let them know that they can contact me directly with their questions and they can see pictures and read about the camps here: https://sugarbushsoaring.com/youth-programs/youth-soaring-camps and https://sugarbushsoaring.com/youth-programs/youth-camp-photos Here is a video from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--gVgtyKWo

Some Camp FAQ and answers:

• Currently the policy at Sugarbush Soaring is that we only fly with Covid-19 vaccinated people.
• Camp dates Camp 1: TBD and Camp 2: TBD, (normally we hold Camp 1 the first weekend after July 4th and Camp 2 towards the end of July). If we have the demand and enough staff, we will consider running a third camp in early August.
• The cost of the 2023 camp is $3,600 per session – this includes ten instructional flights, five ground school sessions (subject areas include FAA regulations, soaring techniques, weight and balance, aerodynamics and more); meals – arrival Sunday dinner through departure Saturday breakfast, except for one dinner (we go out for dinner and a movie one night; campers should bring $35 to cover this).
• There will be scholarships available through Flight Experience For Youth (FEFY), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports young people in education, experience and engagement in aviation, STEM and personal development. https://sugarbushsoaring.com/youth-programs/scholarships/overnight-camps
• We have full and separate bathroom/shower facilities in our "Tower" building.
• If parents are staying in the area after dropping their camper off, we can recommend places and things to do if they stay.
• Parents are invited to our "welcome campers" Sunday night BBQ attended by staff, parents, and members.
• We have some limited tents to loan out.
• Cell phone and mobile digital device usage is limited. To get the most out of the camp experience, we feel it is important that the campers interact with each other, build real relationships, and focus on their flying. No complaints from the campers on this, in fact they enjoy the respite..

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to find out more..

Tom Anderson, Director of Operations
Sugarbush Soaring Assoc.
Warren-Sugarbush Airport 0B7
Warren, Vermont