From: albert...@aol.com (Albert A)
Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing
Subject: where to find replacement Taylor deadbolt cylinder for vintage lock?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:00:06 -0500
 by: Albert A - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:00 UTC

I have a Taylor deadbolt very similar to the one shown here, in fact it
might even be the same one:

https://ebay.to/3D9DIlQ

However, the cylinder on mine has malfunctioned and needs replaced. I
am on a very limited budget with limited income, so I had hoped to avoid
shelling out for an entirely new unit and hoped to be able to replace
just the cylinder. However, I am having a difficult time tracking
anything down online. Due to Covid and my poor health, I can't just
venture into any businesses in person so hoped to be able to do this all
online if possible. My question is I'm wondering where I can find a
replacement cylinder online? As I said above, I want to avoid too much
expense, otherwise I might as well buy a new deadbolt, but I don't trust
the probably recent Chinese made ones either. I still want to have the
security this vintage Taylor offers. All I can find on the cylinder I
removed is Taylor patent number 2755656.

Thanks in advance.

Re: where to find replacement Taylor deadbolt cylinder for vintage lock?

<2021120613410064508-nobody@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30&group=alt.locksmithing#30

From: nob...@example.com (Jay Hennigan)
Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 13:41:00 -0800
 by: Jay Hennigan - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 21:41 UTC

On 2021-11-30 15:00:06 +0000, Albert A said:

> I have a Taylor deadbolt very similar to the one shown here, in fact it
> might even be the same one:
>
> https://ebay.to/3D9DIlQ
>
> However, the cylinder on mine has malfunctioned and needs replaced. I
> am on a very limited budget with limited income, so I had hoped to
> avoid shelling out for an entirely new unit and hoped to be able to
> replace just the cylinder. However, I am having a difficult time
> tracking anything down online. Due to Covid and my poor health, I
> can't just venture into any businesses in person so hoped to be able to
> do this all online if possible. My question is I'm wondering where I
> can find a replacement cylinder online? As I said above, I want to
> avoid too much expense, otherwise I might as well buy a new deadbolt,
> but I don't trust the probably recent Chinese made ones either. I
> still want to have the security this vintage Taylor offers. All I can
> find on the cylinder I removed is Taylor patent number 2755656.

That is a standard rim cylinder. Search for "rim cylinder" with your
favorite search engine. A quick search on Amazon looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rim+cylinder&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

If your lock has cylinders on both sides, you'll want to replace both
of them with a keyed-alike pair as whatever you buy will not be keyed
to your existing one. The tailpiece and screws are made to break apart
at various lengths to accommodate different mounting scenarios. Cut
them to match the existing ones.

Note that in some cases suppliers will sell these as "zero-bitted" such
that an uncut blank will operate the lock. This is so that locksmiths
can cut the blank keys to match the customer's needs and re-pin the
lock. You'll want one that is supplied with a random bitting
(combination of cuts) on the key and not zero-bit.

If you can venture out to a local brick-and-mortar locksmith or have a
friend take your old one there to match it up you'll have a much better
chance of getting what you need on the first try as well as helping
your local economy. Any decent locksmith with an actual storefront will
stock these. They are available in multiple finishes, security levels,
and price points.