Are you having fun yet?

tech / rec.aviation.military / Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

SubjectAuthor
* CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign bya425couple
+* Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile powerJim Wilkins
|`* Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile powerJuergen Nieveler
| `- Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile powerJim Wilkins
+* Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile powerOleg Smirnov
|`- Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign byDean Markley
`- Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign bya425couple

1
CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

<_nhGJ.36938$PNM6.29461@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2994&group=rec.aviation.military#2994

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by
hostile power
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:57:14 -0800
 by: a425couple - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:57 UTC

from
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/cia-says-havana-syndrome-not-result-sustained-global-campaign-hostile-rcna12838

CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

In about two dozen cases, however, the agency can’t rule out foreign
involvement, including many of the cases that originated at the U.S.
Embassy in Havana beginning in 2016.

Image: US Embassy, Havana
The U.S. Embassy in Havana on May 20.Yamil Lage / AFP via Getty Images file
Jan. 19, 2022, 8:05 PM PST / Updated Jan. 20, 2022, 6:50 AM PST
By Ken Dilanian and Josh Lederman

In a new intelligence assessment, the CIA has ruled out that the
mysterious symptoms known as Havana Syndrome are the result of a
sustained global campaign by a hostile power aimed at hundreds of U.S.
diplomats and spies, six people briefed on the matter told NBC News.

In about two dozen cases, the agency cannot rule out foreign
involvement, including many of the cases that originated at the U.S.
Embassy in Havana beginning in 2016. Another group of cases is
considered unresolved. But in hundreds of other cases of possible
symptoms, the agency has found plausible alternative explanations, the
sources said.

Exclusive: ‘Havana Syndrome’ victim speaks out
DEC. 22, 202102:01
The CIA declined to comment.

The idea that widespread brain injury symptoms have been caused by
Russia or another foreign power targeting Americans around the world,
either to harm them or to collect intelligence, has been deemed
unfounded, the sources said.

People who have experienced possible Havana Syndrome symptoms and have
been briefed on the assessment have expressed deep disappointment, the
sources said. Some have pointed out that the CIA’s findings are
considered an interim assessment and that they were not coordinated with
other agencies, including the Defense Department.

“CIA just kind of struck out on their own,” a person briefed on the
findings said.

In a statement, a group that represents U.S. officials who have reported
suspected incidents said, “The CIA’s newly issued report may be labeled
‘interim’ and it may leave open the door for some alternative
explanation in some cases, but to scores of dedicated public servants,
their families, and their colleagues, it has a ring of finality and
repudiation.”

“We have reason to believe the interim report does not even represent
the consensus of the full CIA,” said the group Advocacy for Victims of
Havana Syndrome, “instead reflecting the views of a subset of officials
most interested in resolution and closure.”

Nonetheless, almost no one who has been working closely on the issue is
surprised that many recent cases of what the Biden administration calls
“anomalous health incidents” have plausible explanations unrelated to
possible hostile acts. When government agencies began urging any
employee who had suffered unexplained headaches and dizziness to report
it, it was inevitable that many of the cases would not fit the
parameters of what doctors had identified in the diplomats and spies who
suffered brain injuries.

“Even two dozen cases is a lot of cases if Americans were attacked,” one
person briefed on the findings said.

There is an intensive intelligence gathering and analytical effort to
resolve those cases, officials said.

Starting in late 2016, U.S. diplomats and spies serving in Cuba began
reporting bizarre sounds and sensations followed by unexplained
illnesses and symptoms, including hearing and vision loss, memory and
balance problems, headaches and nausea.

Over the years, many hundreds of U.S. officials have come forward
reporting suspected incidents in more than a dozen countries, NBC News
has reported.

U.S. officials say hundreds of Americans reported possible cases of
Havana Syndrome
JULY 20, 202101:20

NBC News reported in 2018 that U.S. intelligence officials considered
Russia a leading suspect in what some of them assessed to have been
deliberate attacks on diplomats and CIA officers overseas. But in the
three years since then, the spy agencies have not uncovered enough
evidence to pinpoint the cause or the culprit of the health incidents.

The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine said in a
report in 2020 that some of the observed brain injuries were consistent
with the effects of directed microwave energy, which the report said
Russia has long studied.

Recommended
WORLD
'There are no minor incursions': Biden's candid Putin predictions
criticized in Kyiv and beyond
POLITICS NEWS
Biden's all-in on hammering the GOP. But passing the buck is a risky
strategy.

Russia has consistently denied any involvement.

A team of medical and scientific experts who studied the symptoms of as
many as 40 State Department and other government employees concluded
that nothing like them had previously been documented in medical
literature, the National Academies of Sciences report said. Many
reported hearing a loud sound and feeling pressure in their heads and
then experiencing dizziness, unsteady gait and visual disturbances. Many
suffered long-standing debilitating effects.

U.S. officials have long said they cannot say for sure that they were
intentional attacks or even that they were the result of human activity.

But privately, CIA Director William Burns had referred to the incidents
as attacks. One of Burns’ aides suffered symptoms during a trip to New
Delhi in 2020.

Nonetheless, Burns and the director of national intelligence, Avril
Haines, have endorsed the findings, the sources said.

The CIA report aims to address a concern that has grown more intense as
more and more cases have been reported: that a U.S. adversary had
managed to harm hundreds of Americans in dozens of countries while
evading detection by the U.S.

U.S. officials stressed that the interim report was not a final
conclusion of the broader Biden administration or the full intelligence
community. The White House National Security Council has convened a task
force involving outside medical and scientific experts that is also
examining Havana Syndrome and is expected to release some findings in
the near future, officials said. The Defense Department, the FBI and the
State Department are all still working to investigate the origins of the
syndrome and how to mitigate it, the officials said.

Early victims of ‘Havana Syndrome’ speak out about ongoing health struggles
OCT. 13, 202104:26

Instead, the interim CIA report is focused narrowly on the number of
incidents that are believed to be potentially attributable to a foreign
actor, officials said.

Still, the report marks a significant change of tone from the Biden
administration, which has made a point of demonstrating that it is
taking the incidents more seriously than the Trump administration did
and has repeatedly emphasized the need to take victims seriously.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken, in comments on MSNBC last week,
recalled having met with State Department employees who have come
forward reporting incidents.

“I’ve heard them. I’ve listened to them. You can’t help but be struck by
how these incidents disrupted their lives and their well-being,” Blinken
said. “We’re doing everything we can to care for them.”

The State Department did not respond to a request for comment.

U.S. officials said the CIA report does not change the Biden
administration’s broader approach to Havana Syndrome, including the
emphasis on eliminating stigma, encouraging employees with suspected
incidents to come forward and ensuring proper medical care for those
affected.

Ken Dilanian
Ken Dilanian is a correspondent covering intelligence and national
security for the NBC News Investigative Unit.

Josh Lederman
Josh Lederman is an NBC News correspondent.

Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

<sscrgf$sv1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2995&group=rec.aviation.military#2995

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Subject: Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:32:59 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:32 UTC

I don't understand how they could be bombarding the embassy with high power
microwave or millimeter wave radiation without us detecting it. The
electronics to do so fit into cell phones.

We have known for a very long time what to look for:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(listening_device)

Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

<ssdf3d$1ff$1@os.motzarella.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2996&group=rec.aviation.military#2996

Followup: sci.military.naval,alt.war.vietnam,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: os3...@netc.eu (Oleg Smirnov)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 08:06:28 +0300
 by: Oleg Smirnov - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 05:06 UTC

a425couple, <news:_nhGJ.36938$PNM6.29461@fx09.iad>

> from
> https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/cia-says-havana-syndrome-not-result-sustained-global-campaign-hostile-rcna12838
>
> CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

> In a new intelligence assessment, the CIA has ruled out that the mysterious
> symptoms known as Havana Syndrome are the result of a sustained global
> campaign by a hostile power aimed at hundreds of U.S. diplomats and spies,

The diplomats and spies who are working in the American consulates
abroad, have quite unhealthy team spirit among themselves. We in the
KGB know it from our sources. They do petty nasty things to each
other, and 'report' on each other to bosses, while trying to advance
in careers and get personal benefits. There's a dense atmosphere of
hypocrisies / lies among them. It should be taken into account when
considering where this notorious 'Havana Syndrome' arose from.

This 'syndrome' for some time was seen as useful from the perspective
of propaganda, but it's still impossible to push such a narrative for
a long time without any credible evidence.

> People who have experienced possible Havana Syndrome symptoms and have been
> briefed on the assessment have expressed deep disappointment, the sources
> said.

Well it's natural. Their personal interest is to keep the popular and
media attention to them as much/long as possible. Everybody is smart
while playing the system.

Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

<XnsAE267412128AFjuergennieveler@nieveler.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2997&group=rec.aviation.military#2997

From: use...@nieveler.org (Juergen Nieveler)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:31:07 +0000
 by: Juergen Nieveler - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:31 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand how they could be bombarding the embassy with high
> power
> microwave or millimeter wave radiation without us detecting it. The
> electronics to do so fit into cell phones.

One of the theories was that people were targetted when OUTSIDE the
embassy, walking down the street or in their private homes.

Mind you, another theory is that there weren't any targetted attacks to
begin with, but that there's some poorly shielded equipment in the
embassies that's causing this, for example backscatter from some poorly
designed communications antenna. That would explain why there were
cases
in Washington DC with people in the foreign ministry...

Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

<sse8nv$unn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2999&group=rec.aviation.military#2999

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:24:59 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:24 UTC

"Juergen Nieveler" wrote in message

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand how they could be bombarding the embassy with high
> power
> microwave or millimeter wave radiation without us detecting it. The
> electronics to do so fit into cell phones.

One of the theories was that people were targetted when OUTSIDE the
embassy, walking down the street or in their private homes.

Mind you, another theory is that there weren't any targetted attacks to
begin with, but that there's some poorly shielded equipment in the
embassies that's causing this, for example backscatter from some poorly
designed communications antenna. That would explain why there were
cases
in Washington DC with people in the foreign ministry...

-------------------

This shows how small and cheap radio frequency scanners can be:
https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Wireless-Signal-Listening-Scanner/dp/B07B93347H
There are also bug sniffer apps and add-on modules for cell phones.

It's not that hard. As a kid I built a receiver for ELF submarine
communications out of parts from a scrapped TV.

Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

<b973235a-5964-48b1-b7f5-4acf66f6b5c3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3000&group=rec.aviation.military#3000

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 04:56:10 -0800 (PST)
hostile power
From: damark...@gmail.com (Dean Markley)
 by: Dean Markley - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:56 UTC

On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 12:07:59 AM UTC-5, Oleg Smirnov wrote:
> a425couple, <news:_nhGJ.36938$PNM6....@fx09.iad>
> > from
> > https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/cia-says-havana-syndrome-not-result-sustained-global-campaign-hostile-rcna12838
> >
> > CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power
> > In a new intelligence assessment, the CIA has ruled out that the mysterious
> > symptoms known as Havana Syndrome are the result of a sustained global
> > campaign by a hostile power aimed at hundreds of U.S. diplomats and spies,
> The diplomats and spies who are working in the American consulates
> abroad, have quite unhealthy team spirit among themselves. We in the
> KGB know it from our sources. They do petty nasty things to each
> other, and 'report' on each other to bosses, while trying to advance
> in careers and get personal benefits. There's a dense atmosphere of
> hypocrisies / lies among them. It should be taken into account when
> considering where this notorious 'Havana Syndrome' arose from.
>
> This 'syndrome' for some time was seen as useful from the perspective
> of propaganda, but it's still impossible to push such a narrative for
> a long time without any credible evidence.
> > People who have experienced possible Havana Syndrome symptoms and have been
> > briefed on the assessment have expressed deep disappointment, the sources
> > said.
> Well it's natural. Their personal interest is to keep the popular and
> media attention to them as much/long as possible. Everybody is smart
> while playing the system.

"We in the KGB"? C'mon Oleg, you are not KGB, there is no more KGB just like there is no more Soviet Union. There's just an envious third world, nuclear armed country remaining with a declining population and economy. If you knot-heads would sit up and think straight, you'd realize cooperation with the west would bring you far more benefits than acting like a second rate imperial empire builder.

Re: CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile power

<9GAGJ.3013$zV.2766@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3002&group=rec.aviation.military#3002

hostile power
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:53:41 -0800
 by: a425couple - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 15:53 UTC

On 1/20/2022 9:57 AM, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/cia-says-havana-syndrome-not-result-sustained-global-campaign-hostile-rcna12838
>

> CIA says 'Havana Syndrome' not result of sustained campaign by hostile
> power
>
> In about two dozen cases, however, the agency can’t rule out foreign
> involvement, including many of the cases that originated at the U.S.
> Embassy in Havana beginning in 2016.

It is hard to prove a negative.

OK. I'll ramble, and risk offending for a minute.

Things happen as we age. Many undesirable 'things'
happen in our brains, feelings, and ears, that
do not have simple and clear solutions.

Add in a bit of 'mass psychosis',,,, --.

Reminds me of all the 'Prevagin' ads.
The advertising spokespeople are sure their
brain function was slipping, and now they feel
much 'sharper and clearer', but no hard
scientific data has been found.

Also reminds me of many of the Agent Orange
propaganda. Sure, some of us Vietnam vets,
have had our health negatively effected by
those long ago exposures to Agent Orange.

But Christ on a Pogo stick, many of the Vets
posting on Vietnam Facebook groups seem certain
that all of us are dying because of our exposure
to Agent Orange 50 years ago.

Crackers!!! We are generally over 70 years old,
and many of our non-veteran peers are also dying
from heart attacks, strokes, various cancers, and
diabetes.
Do you suppose our smoking, and drinking, and over
eating might have had something to do with it???