Bus error -- please leave by the rear door.

tech / rec.bicycles.misc / Re: Emergency Kit

SubjectAuthor
* Emergency KitJoy Beeson
+* Re: Emergency KitpH
|`* Re: Emergency KitJoy Beeson
| `* Re: Emergency KitStephen Harding
|  `- Re: Emergency KitpH
`* Re: Emergency KitJeff Liebermann
 +- Re: Emergency KitpH
 `* Re: Emergency KitJoy Beeson
  `* Re: Emergency KitJeff Liebermann
   `- Re: Emergency KitJoy Beeson

1
Emergency Kit

<1knlsid3jtmgmugh8q1rlvh83thpa46l00@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=297&group=rec.bicycles.misc#297

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Emergency Kit
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:15:38 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 03:15 UTC

I took a paper towel out of my teeny saddlebag on my previous ride.

Replacing it today led to re-organizing my entire saddlebag, and
discovering that I'm carrying around a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten
having, some of which could have saved my bacon if I'd remembered that
I had it.

Perhaps I should type up an inventory and carry it in my wallet.

-------

I do wish I could remember to date things that I put away to edit
later.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Emergency Kit

<uqlgba$3d630$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=298&group=rec.bicycles.misc#298

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Emergency Kit
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:06:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:06 UTC

On 2024-02-13, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I took a paper towel out of my teeny saddlebag on my previous ride.
>
> Replacing it today led to re-organizing my entire saddlebag, and
> discovering that I'm carrying around a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten
> having, some of which could have saved my bacon if I'd remembered that
> I had it.
>
> Perhaps I should type up an inventory and carry it in my wallet.
>
> -------
>
> I do wish I could remember to date things that I put away to edit
> later.

I'm in the same boat, Joy.

There is little utility in a dried up tube of tire patch glue!

I also need to get a spare $20 bill to stuff into the kit someday--but being
married, that is not likely to occur w/ no offense to your people.

But have you noticed that $20 is no longer what it used to be?

pH in Aptos

Re: Emergency Kit

<sjq1til55povsuleke1ervd9o02urjofdr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=299&group=rec.bicycles.misc#299

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:19:33 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:19 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:06:50 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
wrote:

> But have you noticed that $20 is no longer what it used to be?

Who could fail to notice?

When I was first married, I would write a check for ten dollars
whenever I bought groceries, and the change was my walking-around
money.

Today I have twenty-two dollars in my wallet, and regard myself as
completely out of cash.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Re: Emergency Kit

<uqrco0$kk8m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=300&group=rec.bicycles.misc#300

From: smhard...@verizon.net (Stephen Harding)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:42:08 -0500
 by: Stephen Harding - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 22:42 UTC

On 2/17/24 12:19 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:06:50 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
> wrote:
>
>> But have you noticed that $20 is no longer what it used to be?
>
> Who could fail to notice?
>
> When I was first married, I would write a check for ten dollars
> whenever I bought groceries, and the change was my walking-around
> money.
>
> Today I have twenty-two dollars in my wallet, and regard myself as
> completely out of cash.

If anyone has XM Satillite Radio, there is an old time radio channel
that plays shows from the 30's, 40's, 50's and up to 1962 when radio
shows largely went off the air due to TV.

I love listening to a popular show called "Johnny Dollar" who is an
independent insurance investigator who is known by insurance companies
to "pad" his expense records.

Wow! Air fare from Hartford to Los Angeles, $170 (I don't exactly
remember the real amounts but the prices I state are just crazy low by
today's standards, even taking into effect inflation). Four drinks at a
bar for a potential witness and himself, $4.50. A dinner for two in New
York for $12.00. Taxi ride from New York airport to New Jersey ($4.50);
fill up his rented car ($25 for the car) with gas, $3.50, and on and on
it goes.

I just laugh and wish the "good ol' days were still around (to some extent).

SMH

Re: Emergency Kit

<ftc2ti56ece73r9ebq888ctl7oqcfdidk8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=301&group=rec.bicycles.misc#301

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:54:00 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 22:54 UTC

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:15:38 -0500, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>I took a paper towel out of my teeny saddlebag on my previous ride.
>
>Replacing it today led to re-organizing my entire saddlebag, and
>discovering that I'm carrying around a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten
>having, some of which could have saved my bacon if I'd remembered that
>I had it.
>
>Perhaps I should type up an inventory and carry it in my wallet.

I have a similar problem. My EDC (every day carry) kit is in
perpetual disarray. My "grab and go" kit tends to be neglected. Lists
are nice, but I prefer photos. Photo of what I carry in a plastic
ammunition box in my car:
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qQjGnDHRLk1LwbR8>
I don't do any cycling these days. However, when I did, I subsisted
on a few tools, a few spare parts, a partial roll of toilet paper,
spare eyeglasses and a spare inner tube. Basically, everything that I
knew that could NOT be easily scrounged from other riders or nearby
stores. A 5x7" print of the contents doubles as scratch paper.

While all this planning and organization should be useful in an
emergency, it is important to remember where I put the kit. When we
had to evacuate during the CZU fire:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZU_Lightning_Complex_fires>
I couldn't find where I had buried my "grab and go" kit. It would
have been very useful when I ended up camping in my empty former
office. Everything is now in cardboard boxes and piled near a
doorway.

If you need some ideas, this might help:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=everyday+carry+kit&tbm=isch>
<https://www.google.com/search?q=everyday+carry+kit&tbm=isch>
Yes, it's overkill and no, you don't need to become a survivalist.
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Emergency Kit

<uqs0ir$s7li$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=302&group=rec.bicycles.misc#302

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:20:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:20 UTC

On 2024-02-17, Stephen Harding <smharding@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 2/17/24 12:19 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:06:50 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> But have you noticed that $20 is no longer what it used to be?
>>
>> Who could fail to notice?
>>
>> When I was first married, I would write a check for ten dollars
>> whenever I bought groceries, and the change was my walking-around
>> money.
>>
>> Today I have twenty-two dollars in my wallet, and regard myself as
>> completely out of cash.
>>

> If anyone has XM Satillite Radio, there is an old time radio channel
> that plays shows from the 30's, 40's, 50's and up to 1962 when radio
> shows largely went off the air due to TV.
>
> I love listening to a popular show called "Johnny Dollar" who is an
> independent insurance investigator who is known by insurance companies
> to "pad" his expense records.
>
> Wow! Air fare from Hartford to Los Angeles, $170 (I don't exactly
> remember the real amounts but the prices I state are just crazy low by
> today's standards, even taking into effect inflation). Four drinks at a
> bar for a potential witness and himself, $4.50. A dinner for two in New
> York for $12.00. Taxi ride from New York airport to New Jersey ($4.50);
> fill up his rented car ($25 for the car) with gas, $3.50, and on and on
> it goes.
>
> I just laugh and wish the "good ol' days were still around (to some extent).
>

> SMH

"Your's Truly, Johnny Dollar". Fibber McGee and Molly, Jack Benny, X-1, Our
Miss Brooks...many more....we are blessed to have a local non-profit radio
station that has a show called "The Golden Age of Radio" for three hours on
Tuesdays.

We actually have *5* non-profit radio stations in the area. I really notice
it when I'm out of the area.

pH in Aptos

Re: Emergency Kit

<uqs0tk$s7li$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=303&group=rec.bicycles.misc#303

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:26:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:26 UTC

On 2024-02-17, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:15:38 -0500, Joy Beeson
><jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>>I took a paper towel out of my teeny saddlebag on my previous ride.
>>
>>Replacing it today led to re-organizing my entire saddlebag, and
>>discovering that I'm carrying around a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten
>>having, some of which could have saved my bacon if I'd remembered that
>>I had it.
>>
>>Perhaps I should type up an inventory and carry it in my wallet.
>
> I have a similar problem. My EDC (every day carry) kit is in
> perpetual disarray. My "grab and go" kit tends to be neglected. Lists
> are nice, but I prefer photos. Photo of what I carry in a plastic
> ammunition box in my car:
><https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qQjGnDHRLk1LwbR8>
> I don't do any cycling these days. However, when I did, I subsisted
> on a few tools, a few spare parts, a partial roll of toilet paper,
> spare eyeglasses and a spare inner tube. Basically, everything that I
> knew that could NOT be easily scrounged from other riders or nearby
> stores. A 5x7" print of the contents doubles as scratch paper.
>
> While all this planning and organization should be useful in an
> emergency, it is important to remember where I put the kit. When we
> had to evacuate during the CZU fire:
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZU_Lightning_Complex_fires>
> I couldn't find where I had buried my "grab and go" kit. It would
> have been very useful when I ended up camping in my empty former
> office. Everything is now in cardboard boxes and piled near a
> doorway.
>
> If you need some ideas, this might help:
><https://www.google.com/search?q=everyday+carry+kit&tbm=isch>
><https://www.google.com/search?q=everyday+carry+kit&tbm=isch>
> Yes, it's overkill and no, you don't need to become a survivalist.

Wow, a very complete collection of goods which would be a good start on dry
goods store.

I noticed that foodstuffs were noticably absent. I'm guessing that there is
a separate photo that addresses this side of things? (My wife would require
coffee in any event.) Something not perishable w/ lots of calories...a jar
of peanut butter, perhaps? Not so tempting, but calorie-rich.

pH

Re: Emergency Kit

<pdmltipod9gr3skbpa5jj01bnpbbt8se9t@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=304&group=rec.bicycles.misc#304

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:12:53 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 06:12 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:54:00 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

> I couldn't find where I had buried my "grab and go" kit.

8:16 PM 2/17/2024

Mine, alas, is in excellent order, and under the table nearest the
front door. But, knock wood, it's been over a week since I last
grabbed it and went.

Which reminds me that I must get the bag of emergeny food that I
tranferred to the bike yesterday for today's snow-cancelled trip and
put it back into the go bag for Monday's appointment.

-------

I changed the water in the bottle while I was at it.

When we lived in New York, I kept the emergency candles behind the box
of spare light bulbs, thinking that I would assiciate that location
with a failure of light.

Nowadays they are behind the cannister of matches on the top shelf of
the pantry cupboard. Now that I no longer burn trash, I suppose I'm
in danger of forgetting where the matches are.

1:11 AM 2/25/2024

I had something more to say, but no longer remember what it was.

--
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/

Re: Emergency Kit

<mp3otit0e5aoi866b1oo1fbo6j9sj6djut@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=305&group=rec.bicycles.misc#305

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:58:13 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 04:58 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:12:53 -0500, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:54:00 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I couldn't find where I had buried my "grab and go" kit.

I forgot to mention that I forgot to bring my "grab and go" kit when
we evacuated during the CZU fire:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZU_Lightning_Complex_fires>
The box was in plain sight and easily reached, but not near the other
emergency supplies. I had about 2 hrs to get everything together and
loaded into the car. It was barely sufficient because of some
oversights. The big time burner was having to unload junk from the
car to the house to make room for the survival supplies. Another was
time wasted finding stuff in the house.

>8:16 PM 2/17/2024
>
>Mine, alas, is in excellent order, and under the table nearest the
>front door. But, knock wood, it's been over a week since I last
>grabbed it and went.

You have that many emergencies? For me, the grab and go kit is for
major emergencies, which so far have been once every 10 years or so.

>Which reminds me that I must get the bag of emergeny food that I
>tranferred to the bike yesterday for today's snow-cancelled trip and
>put it back into the go bag for Monday's appointment.

I don't carry much food in my kit. All the official aid stations run
mostly by the county have food, water and half dead alkaline
flashlight batteries. What little I have is "add hot water" type
dishes and canned food overloaded with preservative. Basically
everything with infinite shelf life.

>-------
>
>I changed the water in the bottle while I was at it.

I store a gallon of water in the car. It gets changed about once per
month. I have about 60 gallons of wash water and 10 gallons of
drinking water stored in the house. It's too much and too heavy to
carry with me.

>When we lived in New York, I kept the emergency candles behind the box
>of spare light bulbs, thinking that I would assiciate that location
>with a failure of light.

Candles? I have about 12 LED LiIon lights scattered between the house
and car. LiIon batteries have a very low self-discharge rate and are
therefore very good for emergency lights. The days when every
flashlight in the house contained a dead or leaky battery are over.
However, I do bring a box of USB chargers, charging adapters and a
variety of cables with me. I now have a pair of 13.6V 20A LiFePO4
batteries which I will probably take with me. We had a 4 day power
outage in the last storm. All my electronics was either operated or
charged from these two batteries.

I needed some night lights for the midnight run to the bathroom during
the power outage. We don't run noisy generators after 10am. All the
LED's I had were too bright or used too much power. I dug through my
junk and found a box of LED automotive lights. Two large 12V
batteries and some ingenuity and I had two usable night lights.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/VyZ5T7azXjnxWXag6>
The round connector is for charging the battery. The loose wire is a
crude on/off switch. The plastic paper clip sorta holds it all
together.

>Nowadays they are behind the cannister of matches on the top shelf of
>the pantry cupboard. Now that I no longer burn trash, I suppose I'm
>in danger of forgetting where the matches are.

If you must start a fire, there are better alternatives to matches. A
refillable butane torch-lighter works well for me:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=butane+torch&tbm=isch>

Again, most of this will not work well on a bicycle. If I need an
emergency escape, it will likely be in a car, not bicycle. However,
some of what I've done might be scaled down to be useful on a bicycle.

>1:11 AM 2/25/2024
>
>I had something more to say, but no longer remember what it was.

I'm old enough to be familiar with the problem. I use my computer,
phone and note pad to keep track of my things to do. I would be
useless at the market without a list of things to buy. I hate getting
old.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Emergency Kit

<8gn7uilv3htu61unldvico5olrtd1jr7p8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=307&group=rec.bicycles.misc#307

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 22:01:29 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 03:01 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:58:13 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:12:53 -0500, Joy Beeson
> <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:54:00 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
> >wrote:

[snip]
> You have that many emergencies? For me, the grab and go kit is for
> major emergencies, which so far have been once every 10 years or so.

Let's just say that I know where to find the ladies' room in three
different ERs. My go bag contains a folder of medical information and
a copy of my calender, two books, my "portable desk" (stiff cardboard
and assorted paper in a tight plastic bag), a pair of white hand-knit
socks and darning equipment, a hat, scarf, and overshirt, my spare
pill sticks (every Saturday I refill the house pill boxes and swap
them for the sticks in the go bag), my wallet when the paper and
plastic in it are in my pants pockets, my "little bag of stuff", a
Subway bag containing a sandwich bag of snack bars, a plastic fork and
spoon wrapped in a paper towel, and a "pill pouch" ziplock bag of
salt; and some stuff I don't care to get up and check.

I added the salt when I started putting food into the go bag. Spouse
is hyponatremic and has a heart valve. Hospital kitchens have
standing orders to under-salt the food of heart patients, and can't
change without a prescription. The fork and spoon are for the bike,
in case I buy lunch in a grocery store.

As for major emergencies -- we live where people evacuate to. The
nearest railroad is a mile away, and semis never come into town any
farther than to the post office and the restaurants. We do have an
orange box of papers in case of fire.

> >I changed the water in the bottle while I was at it.
>
> I store a gallon of water in the car. It gets changed about once per
> month. I have about 60 gallons of wash water and 10 gallons of
> drinking water stored in the house. It's too much and too heavy to
> carry with me.

We live on a creek, and it wouldn't be too onerous to carry drinking
water from the spring at the highway department. There's another
spring in the bike trails, so I don't think there'd be much of a line
to use it. I don't buy bottled water as often as I used to before
Spouse decided that he liked Hint bottles much better than the
purified-water bottles, and he drinks enough Hint to keep us supplied
with nice stiff bottles, but there's still most of a case in the
garage, and lots of canned and bottled beverages.

Before reusable bottles were indirectly illegalized in New York State,
I used to drive to a beverage store once or twice a year and buy as
many cases of quarts of seltzer as would fit into the Omega. I got
stuck with rather a lot of bottles when the legistlature decided that
stores needed that space for disposable bottles.

> >When we lived in New York, I kept the emergency candles behind the box
> >of spare light bulbs, thinking that I would associate that location
> >with a failure of light.
>
> Candles?

For finding the other lights.

I don't remember whether we used them during the latest blackout -- or
when that was.

I must remember to remind spouse that it's about time to exercise the
generator again.

> If you must start a fire, there are better alternatives to matches. A
> refillable butane torch-lighter works well for me:
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=butane+torch&tbm=isch>

Spouse always brought out his torch if he saw me getting ready to
light a fire, but I learned young how to get a fire going.

Past bedtime. I'd better send this and sign out.