Somebody's terminal is dropping bits. I found a pile of them over in the corner.

tech / rec.aviation.military / Re: Radar Bomb Scoring

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Radar Bomb ScoringMichael Wood
`* Re: Radar Bomb ScoringCj Johnson
 `- Re: Radar Bomb Scoringa425couple

1
Re: Radar Bomb Scoring

<3ee8019a-c295-4e14-b2d8-3500121c6286n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3083&group=rec.aviation.military#3083

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 14:48:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Radar Bomb Scoring
From: mrwood.a...@gmail.com (Michael Wood)
 by: Michael Wood - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:48 UTC

On Saturday, April 24, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, kzl3poj0p...@lpwa.com wrote:
> 1. Statesboro GA, fixed site with F/G, India band etc.
> 2. Matagorda Isl AFR, fixed site Skyspot training, special weapons
> etc.
> 3. Cedar Key FL, mobile (power cable under water at high tide)
> A. Det 37 Udorn, Combat Skyspot for Linebacker II
> 4. Park KS, mobile
> 5. Presque Isle ME, mobile
> 6. Wellington TX, mobile
> 7. Hollis Ok, mobile with TLQ 11 etc.
> At the Presque Isle site we had two fellows from Bayshore, Todd Wolfley
> and one other whos' name eludes me. Todds car blew up a few miles
> out of town on the way back to Bayshore. He just left it with a
> farmer. There was also a fellow from Holbrook. He traded his yellow
> MGB for an old airplane and flew back at the end of his tour. At least
> that's how I remember it. :)
> At the Presque Isle site our "integrated air defense" was a pair of soup
> cans with string between them connecting John Switalski in the 9 and
> myself in the India band. It was good for a few laughs and it worked
> when the comm line didn't.
> Where was Belle Fouche? Wyoming?
> In article <jXkU2.5858$YU1....@newsr2.twcny.rr.com>,
> David Lentz <dlen...@rochester.rr.com//NOSPAM//> wrote:
> >

> > kzl3poj0p...@lpwa.com wrote:
> > >
> > > I worked at seven RBS sites and one Combat Skyspot site during my time in
> > > SAC. I wonder if a current site could allow a "visitor" for a tour? Any
> idea
> > > how to go about it?
> >
> > Seven? Fixed:, Bayshore, Holbrook, and Forysthe. Overseas:
> > Korea RBS Express: Lemon: Mobile: Protection, Dumas,
> > Mitchell, New England, Big Lake, Belle Fouche. Forsythe.
> >
> > I have done some surfing but have not located any bombplots. I
> > don't see any problem with visiting a site, other than locating
> > the damn places.
> >
> > David

I worked at the Statesboro, GA. site from 1976-1978

Re: Radar Bomb Scoring

<fb277759-4d9c-489f-ada2-22ce28dfff31n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4611&group=rec.aviation.military#4611

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 18:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnsfly...@gmail.com (Cj Johnson)
 by: Cj Johnson - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 01:57 UTC

On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 4:48:17 PM UTC-6, Michael Wood wrote:
> On Saturday, April 24, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, kzl3poj0p...@lpwa.com wrote:
> > 1. Statesboro GA, fixed site with F/G, India band etc.
> > 2. Matagorda Isl AFR, fixed site Skyspot training, special weapons
> > etc.
> > 3. Cedar Key FL, mobile (power cable under water at high tide)
> > A. Det 37 Udorn, Combat Skyspot for Linebacker II
> > 4. Park KS, mobile
> > 5. Presque Isle ME, mobile
> > 6. Wellington TX, mobile
> > 7. Hollis Ok, mobile with TLQ 11 etc.
> > At the Presque Isle site we had two fellows from Bayshore, Todd Wolfley
> > and one other whos' name eludes me. Todds car blew up a few miles
> > out of town on the way back to Bayshore. He just left it with a
> > farmer. There was also a fellow from Holbrook. He traded his yellow
> > MGB for an old airplane and flew back at the end of his tour. At least
> > that's how I remember it. :)
> > At the Presque Isle site our "integrated air defense" was a pair of soup
> > cans with string between them connecting John Switalski in the 9 and
> > myself in the India band. It was good for a few laughs and it worked
> > when the comm line didn't.
> > Where was Belle Fouche? Wyoming?
> > In article <jXkU2.5858$YU1....@newsr2.twcny.rr.com>,
> > David Lentz <dlen...@rochester.rr.com//NOSPAM//> wrote:

> > idea
> > >
> > > Seven? Fixed:, Bayshore, Holbrook, and Forysthe. Overseas:
> > > Korea RBS Express: Lemon: Mobile: Protection, Dumas,
> > > Mitchell, New England, Big Lake, Belle Fouche. Forsythe.
> > >
> > > I have done some surfing but have not located any bombplots. I
> > > don't see any problem with visiting a site, other than locating
> > > the damn places.
> > >
> > > David

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
> I worked at the Statesboro, GA. site from 1976-1978

I worked at Det 12 Hawthorne Nevada with 85 other souls from 1977-1981 The site i sno longer there, the RADAR was sent to Fallon NAS, 72 miles north.
We had:
TLQ-11
MPS-9
MSQ-77
T1
Next to the (at the time) World's largest ammunition plant run by the USMC for a million years until civilian contractors Day -Zimmerman-Basil took over the 60 yr old base, changed hands to the US Army and then back to civilian contractor ALONG SIDE the Army again

Our site was not on a military base, we were actually IN Babbitt Nevada which was an off base housing annex. Tons of Base Housing Duplexes they could not even come close to filling with the handful of Marines, so they took pity on us FlyGirls and Boys, and we were given access to base housing there and 3 more choices of base housing for married GIs. I had the luxury of trying out 3 different housing areas there, one on base and the other a large families with children housing area west of the base near the base of an 11,000 foot Mt Grant.

I operated _ Plotting board, Msq-77, TLQ-11, was a plotter and a communicator for a long while. The Buff pilots flipped out hearing a female's voice apparently according to my Commander, he pushed me as the only female at the site for almost a year to qualify as communicator and sat in the radar van my first few weeks just to hear the shock and surprise of the B-52 crew after reporting "IP Inbound". I was 20 yrs old, so I had trouble figuring out what the big deal was. So what? I am a girl. Great Detachment, good people. So good for families, a lot of support for the spouse while you were sent on TDY to the coldest place on the planet.

Re: Radar Bomb Scoring

<FQmKM.340812$ens9.167099@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4613&group=rec.aviation.military#4613

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:26:12 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:26 UTC

On 9/6/23 18:57, Cj Johnson wrote:
> [...]
>
> I operated _ Plotting board, Msq-77, TLQ-11, was a plotter and a communicator for a long while. The Buff pilots flipped out hearing a female's voice apparently according to my Commander, he pushed me as the only female at the site for almost a year to qualify as communicator and sat in the radar van my first few weeks just to hear the shock and surprise of the B-52 crew after reporting "IP Inbound". I was 20 yrs old, so I had trouble figuring out what the big deal was. So what? I am a girl. Great Detachment, good people. So good for families, a lot of support for the spouse while you were sent on TDY to the coldest place on the planet.

Were you active duty Air Force, or a civilian employee?

Whatever, thank you for your work.