Anything cut to length will be too short.

tech / sci.space.policy / Re: Routine space flight

SubjectAuthor
* Routine space flightJF Mezei
+* Re: Routine space flightJeff Findley
|`* Re: Routine space flightGreg \(Strider\) Moore
| `- Re: Routine space flightJeff Findley
`- Re: Routine space flightAlain Fournier

1
Routine space flight

<kwmOI.4$uk4.0@fx20.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3083&group=sci.space.policy#3083

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Subject: Routine space flight
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 21:59:43 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 01:59 UTC

So Boeing had to scrub launch of its Starliner again due to some faulty
valve.

Considering the years of testing and Boeing's experience building "must
work" hardware, how come they had a failed valve? Isn't a valve
something they can test easily and repeatedly to ensure it is reliable?

Ironic that SpaceX seeks to imitate the routine commercial flights of
Boeing aircraft while Boeing can't imitate itself.

SpaceX launches Falcon9s so often it is hard to keep track. And Boeing
can't seem to be able to launch 1.

I wonder if SpaceX will come to a point where the cost of re-using a
Falcon 9 will drop below the cost of testing a brand spanking new Falcon
9 (where the odds of failures would be higher than in a flight proven one).

Re: Routine space flight

<MPG.3b743d76e7d850d4989df9@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3085&group=sci.space.policy#3085

From: jfind...@cinci.nospam.rr.com (Jeff Findley)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Routine space flight
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 07:00:58 -0400
 by: Jeff Findley - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 11:00 UTC

In article <kwmOI.4$uk4.0@fx20.iad>, jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca
says...

> So Boeing had to scrub launch of its Starliner again due to some faulty
> valve.
>
> Considering the years of testing and Boeing's experience building "must
> work" hardware, how come they had a failed valve? Isn't a valve
> something they can test easily and repeatedly to ensure it is reliable?

There are many thrusters on Starliner and therefore many valves. From
an Ars Technica article after the failed OFT-1 flight of Starliner:

Starliner?s thruster performance receiving close scrutiny from NASA
"Many of the elements of the propulsion system were overstressed."
ERIC BERGER - 1/21/2020, 10:55 AM
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/01/nasa-and-boeing-are-closely-
looking-at-starliners-thruster-performance/

The NASA release did not mention thruster performance, but an
agency source told Ars that engineers are looking closely at
the performance of the Starliner propulsion system. In addition
to four large launch abort engines, the service module has 28
reaction control system thrusters, each with 85 pounds of
thrust and 20 more-powerful orbital maneuvering thrusters,
each with 1,500 pounds of thrust.

We'll have to wait to find out exactly what failed. Could be hardware
or software.

> Ironic that SpaceX seeks to imitate the routine commercial flights of
> Boeing aircraft while Boeing can't imitate itself.
>
> SpaceX launches Falcon9s so often it is hard to keep track. And Boeing
> can't seem to be able to launch 1.

To be fair, Boeing doesn't have its own launch vehicles, so you're
comparing apples and oranges.

Jeff

Re: Routine space flight

<see281$g29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3086&group=sci.space.policy#3086

From: alain...@videotron.ca (Alain Fournier)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 08:46:56 -0400
 by: Alain Fournier - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 12:46 UTC

On Aug/3/2021 at 21:59, JF Mezei wrote :
> So Boeing had to scrub launch of its Starliner again due to some faulty
> valve.
>
> Considering the years of testing and Boeing's experience building "must
> work" hardware, how come they had a failed valve? Isn't a valve
> something they can test easily and repeatedly to ensure it is reliable?
>
> Ironic that SpaceX seeks to imitate the routine commercial flights of
> Boeing aircraft while Boeing can't imitate itself.
>
> SpaceX launches Falcon9s so often it is hard to keep track. And Boeing
> can't seem to be able to launch 1.
>

> I wonder if SpaceX will come to a point where the cost of re-using a
> Falcon 9 will drop below the cost of testing a brand spanking new Falcon
> 9 (where the odds of failures would be higher than in a flight proven one).

I'm not sure but I think I saw somewhere that the glitch Boeing
experienced is related to the heavy weather that was experienced at the
launch site a little earlier. So, in this case, the delay might not be
Boeing's fault. Nonetheless, SpaceX does seem to be a more reliable
launch provider.

Alain Fournier

Re: Routine space flight

<sel0lp$8v3$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3092&group=sci.space.policy#3092

From: moor...@deletethisgreenms.com (Greg \(Strider\) Moore)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 00:03:05 -0400
 by: Greg \(Strider\) Moo - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 04:03 UTC

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

>In article <kwmOI.4$uk4.0@fx20.iad>, jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca
>says...
>>
>> So Boeing had to scrub launch of its Starliner again due to some faulty
>> valve.
>>
>> Considering the years of testing and Boeing's experience building "must
>> work" hardware, how come they had a failed valve? Isn't a valve
>> something they can test easily and repeatedly to ensure it is reliable?
>
>There are many thrusters on Starliner and therefore many valves. From
>an Ars Technica article after the failed OFT-1 flight of Starliner:
>
>Starliner?s thruster performance receiving close scrutiny from NASA
>"Many of the elements of the propulsion system were overstressed."
>ERIC BERGER - 1/21/2020, 10:55 AM
>https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/01/nasa-and-boeing-are-closely-
>looking-at-starliners-thruster-performance/
>
> The NASA release did not mention thruster performance, but an
> agency source told Ars that engineers are looking closely at
> the performance of the Starliner propulsion system. In addition
> to four large launch abort engines, the service module has 28
> reaction control system thrusters, each with 85 pounds of
> thrust and 20 more-powerful orbital maneuvering thrusters,
> each with 1,500 pounds of thrust.

And Boeing would really hate to follow the ill-fated OFT-1 flight with an
OFT-2 flight that suddenly decides to mimic Nauka!

>We'll have to wait to find out exactly what failed. Could be hardware
>or software.
>
>> Ironic that SpaceX seeks to imitate the routine commercial flights of
>> Boeing aircraft while Boeing can't imitate itself.
>>
>> SpaceX launches Falcon9s so often it is hard to keep track. And Boeing
>> can't seem to be able to launch 1.
>
>To be fair, Boeing doesn't have its own launch vehicles, so you're
>comparing apples and oranges.
>
>Jeff

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Response-Lessons-Learned-Field/dp/1484221834/

Re: Routine space flight

<MPG.3b78574ed3eb315a989dfb@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3094&group=sci.space.policy#3094

From: jfind...@cinci.nospam.rr.com (Jeff Findley)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 09:40:21 -0400
 by: Jeff Findley - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 13:40 UTC

In article <sel0lp$8v3$1@reader1.panix.com>,
mooregr@deletethisgreenms.com says...

> And Boeing would really hate to follow the ill-fated OFT-1 flight with an
> OFT-2 flight that suddenly decides to mimic Nauka!

Yes, that would be bad.

Jeff