Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 07:08:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Passing Of A Legend
From: ls-8an5...@comcast.net (ls-8an50ed@comcast.net)
 by: ls-8an50ed@comcast.n - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 15:08 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 11:15:26 AM UTC-4, Scott White wrote:
> Happened upon this post and just learned of her passing. My father was the Flight Service Station Operations Manager at Tamiami through the mid 70s and had nothing but the best words about her and her operation. Rest in peace.

Clearly, this is long after her passing but I just stumbled upon this thread when I did a Google search for Mary. I started flying with her when I was 13 at the Kendall Glider Port, located on the edge of the Everglades. I soloed at 14 and got my private with her at 16 and then started flying airplanes at the old Tamiami Airport. I had the last flight there before they moved to the New Tamiami Airport, now Miami Executive Airport. I went off to college but continued to fly at Kendall on breaks from school. I graduated from college in 1974 and was headed for USAF pilot training but since the Vietnam War ended there was a big cut back in pilot training so it was more than a year and a half before I entered active duty. During that time I worked as a flight instructor for Mary until I entered the Air Force. I spent 21 years in the Air Force but I kept flying gliders. I'm now the president of Mid-Atlantic Soaring in PA. During the early part of my Air Force career I would drop by to see Mary and Charlie occasionally but I lost touch and didn't realize she had passed until I read this thread. Brings back fond memories of a wonderful time in my life.

Re: Passing Of A Legend

<51702685-41ea-4665-b45c-71db654dc7e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31084&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31084

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 04:13:04 -0800 (PST)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 12:13 UTC

On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 10:08:24 AM UTC-5, ls-8a...@comcast.net wrote:
> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 11:15:26 AM UTC-4, Scott White wrote:
> > Happened upon this post and just learned of her passing. My father was the Flight Service Station Operations Manager at Tamiami through the mid 70s and had nothing but the best words about her and her operation. Rest in peace.
> Clearly, this is long after her passing but I just stumbled upon this thread when I did a Google search for Mary. I started flying with her when I was 13 at the Kendall Glider Port, located on the edge of the Everglades. I soloed at 14 and got my private with her at 16 and then started flying airplanes at the old Tamiami Airport. I had the last flight there before they moved to the New Tamiami Airport, now Miami Executive Airport. I went off to college but continued to fly at Kendall on breaks from school. I graduated from college in 1974 and was headed for USAF pilot training but since the Vietnam War ended there was a big cut back in pilot training so it was more than a year and a half before I entered active duty. During that time I worked as a flight instructor for Mary until I entered the Air Force. I spent 21 years in the Air Force but I kept flying gliders. I'm now the president of Mid-Atlantic Soaring in PA. During the early part of my Air Force career I would drop by to see Mary and Charlie occasionally but I lost touch and didn't realize she had passed until I read this thread. Brings back fond memories of a wonderful time in my life.
8a, I am sure our path's have passed, and you bring back memories of the old Tamiami airport out on Tamiami Trail. Mary stayed active for a few years prior to her death. My wife and Mary were very good friends, she did all her pilot training with Mary. Recently I posted a photo of the old Kendall Gliderport on Facebook, Soaring Forum. Please take a look at the photo and you can still see where the tarmac was and the outline of the runway. Those were some wonderful times.
You may also do a search on her obituary, it is a nice tribute to a wonderful lady and aviation pioneer. OBTP