tech / rec.aviation.soaring / The Future Of Motorgliders ???

SubjectAuthor
* The Future Of Motorgliders ???youngbl...@gmail.com
`* Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???Eric Greenwell
 +- Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???Dan Marotta
 `* Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???youngbl...@gmail.com
  `* Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???youngbl...@gmail.com
   `* Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???Eric Greenwell
    `- Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???youngbl...@gmail.com

1
The Future Of Motorgliders ???

<39119915-be29-4292-be24-e00760ed1403n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31170&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31170

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:56:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The Future Of Motorgliders ???
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 23:56 UTC

It seems to be that technology has improved so much in the electric energy sector that new self launch and sustainers will be getting away from those piston and jet driven engines and going more toward self launch and sustainer electric motorgliders. Just what is a purist to do, sit around and let technology pass him bye, or join the club? At this time I am sitting back and enjoying life as a purist, but Eileen is asking me questions about electric self launch, I ask my self, what the hell has she been reading! Old Bob, The Purist. AKA, Mango Bob

Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???

<66a69824-3f78-4cf3-b68b-c0786021717cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31171&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31171

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 20:41:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???
From: engreenw...@gmail.com (Eric Greenwell)
 by: Eric Greenwell - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 04:41 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 3:56:44 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> It seems to be that technology has improved so much in the electric energy sector that new self launch and sustainers will be getting away from those piston and jet driven engines and going more toward self launch and sustainer electric motorgliders. Just what is a purist to do, sit around and let technology pass him bye, or join the club? At this time I am sitting back and enjoying life as a purist, but Eileen is asking me questions about electric self launch, I ask my self, what the hell has she been reading! Old Bob, The Purist. AKA, Mango Bob

Eileen's situation can be easily improved with an FES sustainer or self-launcher. Mango Bob's situation - not so easy to fix. I suggest he fly Eileen's new FES glider when she is occupied elsewhere (grandchild's birth, IRS audit, whatever) ; otherwise, good luck getting her out of the cockpit on a nice soaring day! -Eric

Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???

<tsdun1$2749t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31177&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31177

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:14:56 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 18:14 UTC

Good luck soaring at Moriarty during the week unless you have a self
launcher...

Dan
5J

On 2/12/23 21:41, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 3:56:44 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> It seems to be that technology has improved so much in the electric energy sector that new self launch and sustainers will be getting away from those piston and jet driven engines and going more toward self launch and sustainer electric motorgliders. Just what is a purist to do, sit around and let technology pass him bye, or join the club? At this time I am sitting back and enjoying life as a purist, but Eileen is asking me questions about electric self launch, I ask my self, what the hell has she been reading! Old Bob, The Purist. AKA, Mango Bob
>
> Eileen's situation can be easily improved with an FES sustainer or self-launcher. Mango Bob's situation - not so easy to fix. I suggest he fly Eileen's new FES glider when she is occupied elsewhere (grandchild's birth, IRS audit, whatever) ; otherwise, good luck getting her out of the cockpit on a nice soaring day! -Eric

Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???

<94c11682-c695-4526-a5b0-0d6a6e07c0d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31179&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31179

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:35:00 -0800 (PST)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:35 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 11:41:50 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 3:56:44 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > It seems to be that technology has improved so much in the electric energy sector that new self launch and sustainers will be getting away from those piston and jet driven engines and going more toward self launch and sustainer electric motorgliders. Just what is a purist to do, sit around and let technology pass him bye, or join the club? At this time I am sitting back and enjoying life as a purist, but Eileen is asking me questions about electric self launch, I ask my self, what the hell has she been reading! Old Bob, The Purist. AKA, Mango Bob
> Eileen's situation can be easily improved with an FES sustainer or self-launcher. Mango Bob's situation - not so easy to fix. I suggest he fly Eileen's new FES glider when she is occupied elsewhere (grandchild's birth, IRS audit, whatever) ; otherwise, good luck getting her out of the cockpit on a nice soaring day! -Eric

Eric, I must admit that you have shown more humor than any other motorglider guy on this group, I take that back, you are tied with "R". Now as Jim Payne described my ride as a "Lowly ASW27", it was like driving a spear through my heart. Me and my "Lowly 27", have done quiet well lately and the season has just begun.
Now let me take a moment to describe to you what my mangoes do to glider pilots. I think it was last year when I sent a few of my Purist Mangoes to a friend and glider pilot in Georgia, he certainly is a good guy and avid glider pilot, we have known each other for 40 plus years, back to the good old days of Thermal Research. After eating my prize mangoes he went to the dark side and bought a motorglider, yep, blame it on my mangoes! So, I have decided not to let Purist eat my mangoes, it may alter their thought process.
Here is my deal, this June I am sending you a box of Old Bob, The Purist mangoes, the finest varieties in the world, including Coconut Cream, Valencia Pride, Carrie, Lemon Zest, and my special favorite OBTP.. I know that you are already a motorglider geek, so maybe these will encourage you to fly without using that motor. Mango Bob, OBTP

Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???

<4972fe3c-2536-4b9c-a1b1-33bfac9bc8e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31182&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31182

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:37:51 -0800 (PST)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 00:37 UTC

On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 3:35:02 PM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 11:41:50 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 3:56:44 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > It seems to be that technology has improved so much in the electric energy sector that new self launch and sustainers will be getting away from those piston and jet driven engines and going more toward self launch and sustainer electric motorgliders. Just what is a purist to do, sit around and let technology pass him bye, or join the club? At this time I am sitting back and enjoying life as a purist, but Eileen is asking me questions about electric self launch, I ask my self, what the hell has she been reading! Old Bob, The Purist. AKA, Mango Bob
> > Eileen's situation can be easily improved with an FES sustainer or self-launcher. Mango Bob's situation - not so easy to fix. I suggest he fly Eileen's new FES glider when she is occupied elsewhere (grandchild's birth, IRS audit, whatever) ; otherwise, good luck getting her out of the cockpit on a nice soaring day! -Eric
> Eric, I must admit that you have shown more humor than any other motorglider guy on this group, I take that back, you are tied with "R". Now as Jim Payne described my ride as a "Lowly ASW27", it was like driving a spear through my heart. Me and my "Lowly 27", have done quiet well lately and the season has just begun.
> Now let me take a moment to describe to you what my mangoes do to glider pilots. I think it was last year when I sent a few of my Purist Mangoes to a friend and glider pilot in Georgia, he certainly is a good guy and avid glider pilot, we have known each other for 40 plus years, back to the good old days of Thermal Research. After eating my prize mangoes he went to the dark side and bought a motorglider, yep, blame it on my mangoes! So, I have decided not to let Purist eat my mangoes, it may alter their thought process.
> Here is my deal, this June I am sending you a box of Old Bob, The Purist mangoes, the finest varieties in the world, including Coconut Cream, Valencia Pride, Carrie, Lemon Zest, and my special favorite OBTP.. I know that you are already a motorglider geek, so maybe these will encourage you to fly without using that motor. Mango Bob, OBTP
Correction, the Lowly 27 comment was made by Jim Lee, that poor soul that hibernates out in Nevada. See letter to Editor, February 2023 Soaring.

Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???

<57f98f39-5664-4c0b-8c63-f9a3b4055d34n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31188&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31188

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 09:18:20 -0800 (PST)
From: engreenw...@gmail.com (Eric Greenwell)
 by: Eric Greenwell - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 17:18 UTC

On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 4:37:53 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

> Correction, the Lowly 27 comment was made by Jim Lee, that poor soul that hibernates out in Nevada. See letter to Editor, February 2023 Soaring.

Transform it from a Lowly 27 to a Highly 27 by sending it to LZ Design (https://front-electric-sustainer.com/) for FES corrective surgery. When it returns from Europe with it's new self-launch/retrieve capabilities, it will earn you the respect of Jim Lee and the admiration of glider crews all over the USA!

Re: The Future Of Motorgliders ???

<ddcaf573-f135-4d37-a320-b29824b30816n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31194&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31194

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:53:25 -0800 (PST)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:53 UTC

On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 12:18:22 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 4:37:53 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Correction, the Lowly 27 comment was made by Jim Lee, that poor soul that hibernates out in Nevada. See letter to Editor, February 2023 Soaring.
> Transform it from a Lowly 27 to a Highly 27 by sending it to LZ Design (https://front-electric-sustainer.com/) for FES corrective surgery. When it returns from Europe with it's new self-launch/retrieve capabilities, it will earn you the respect of Jim Lee and the admiration of glider crews all over the USA!

Jim Lee is a good guy, we had dinner and drinks together here in Vero Beach, I have come to the conclusion that he has an altered mind brought about by motorglider vibration. My lowly 27, N27SN, captured his imagination and from the reply to the article he still believes in Santa. Old Bob, The Purist