Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 09:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SeeYou Mobile on OGN?
From: dtarmich...@gmail.com (Dgtarmichael)
 by: Dgtarmichael - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:04 UTC

Last weekend a club member wanted to check the range of his new OGN Tracker.. After he left the airport we checked in on him with the OGN viewer app and PureTrack.io. The station could "see" him for about 6 miles on the surface (not bad). But then I noticed a second glider symbol with a six digit ID traveling along the same route my friend would take to get home. What a coincidence? Must be another glider pilot in the same area with an unregistered tracker or FLARM that I don't know? Not likely... I know everybody into gliding in this area. So I call my buddy up and have him check the ID on his Tracker and it's not him (his device IS registered and squawking his contest ID). Not that it could be as he was well out of range at this point. But as he pulls over and gives me his position it is clear that he is the source of this phantom signal. He turns off his tracker and the signal is still there. He notices he is still running SeeYou Mobile however on his phone. I don't use this software on my phone and don't know anything about it. If you look on an OGN viewer the country has many unregistered hexdecimals attached to glider symbols at ground level out there. It's posible folks are just doing mx on their gliders this time of year and it's possible people forget the app is running in the background. My question:
a.) Are SeeYou Mobile users unknowingly transmitting their position to the OGN via Cell?
b.) What is the point of this feature if cell coverage at altitude is sketchy and not an appropriate use of cell service?
c.) If this has nothing to do with SeeYou Mobile, where might this position info be coming from?

Doug
W24

Re: SeeYou Mobile on OGN?

<da8c077f-5d91-48ad-91b2-b6af155db15bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31616&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31616

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 10:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SeeYou Mobile on OGN?
From: ramseyer...@live.com (Muttley)
 by: Muttley - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 17:52 UTC

On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 5:04:36 PM UTC+1, Dgtarmichael wrote:
> Last weekend a club member wanted to check the range of his new OGN Tracker. After he left the airport we checked in on him with the OGN viewer app and PureTrack.io. The station could "see" him for about 6 miles on the surface (not bad). But then I noticed a second glider symbol with a six digit ID traveling along the same route my friend would take to get home. What a coincidence? Must be another glider pilot in the same area with an unregistered tracker or FLARM that I don't know? Not likely... I know everybody into gliding in this area. So I call my buddy up and have him check the ID on his Tracker and it's not him (his device IS registered and squawking his contest ID). Not that it could be as he was well out of range at this point. But as he pulls over and gives me his position it is clear that he is the source of this phantom signal. He turns off his tracker and the signal is still there. He notices he is still running SeeYou Mobile however on his phone.. I don't use this software on my phone and don't know anything about it. If you look on an OGN viewer the country has many unregistered hexdecimals attached to glider symbols at ground level out there. It's posible folks are just doing mx on their gliders this time of year and it's possible people forget the app is running in the background. My question:
> a.) Are SeeYou Mobile users unknowingly transmitting their position to the OGN via Cell?
> b.) What is the point of this feature if cell coverage at altitude is sketchy and not an appropriate use of cell service?
> c.) If this has nothing to do with SeeYou Mobile, where might this position info be coming from?
>
> Doug
> W24

The new See You Navigator (Android) has a layer called OGN which you can turn on or off. I have not bothered to find out exactly what it does, but it could be this function that you need to investigate.

Re: SeeYou Mobile on OGN?

<2b391f6b-4101-46b5-af33-db455f91e625n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31637&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31637

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 09:50:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: whitney....@merlinaviation.net (Whitney Van Brink)
 by: Whitney Van Brink - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 16:50 UTC

I along with a couple other local pilots use SeeYou Navigator. If you turn on the OGN layer it will send your position to the OGN network via your cellular data connection as long as you have a signal. If you turn off the OGN layer it stops sending your position. Leaving the app running will not only continue to drain your battery but it will also continue to send your position to OGN. If you don't have a contest ID registered it just makes on up for you randomly. Unfortunately there isn't away to have the app always show up on OGN with the same ID so you just have to try and guess who it is.

Hopefully they'll come up with a way to work better with OGN.

It would be nice to have a better way to tell the app when you do and don't want to be sending your position.

Re: SeeYou Mobile on OGN?

<c63ad7f6-b7b2-4ce0-959e-1b0d9bf74ec5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31638&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31638

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 17:16 UTC

If everyone would spend a few minutes of their time and contact SeeYou at https://naviter.com/contact-us/ they might prioritize it.
Request that the OGN layer SeeYou Navigator for Android and ios should not submit a position by default, instead it should a) have a user selection to enable or disable ownship position to the OGN and b) configure the ICAO id that is sent, if enabled, so that a single aircraft target is shown.

Explain that the lack of this feature is preventing you from using their product.