Theory is gray, but the golden tree of life is green. -- Goethe

tech / sci.space.policy / Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.

SubjectAuthor
* Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.dumpster4@hotmail.com
+- Re: Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.dumpster4@hotmail.com
`- Re: Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.Snidely

1
Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.

<53dc315e-be66-42c2-a59a-df013edcba03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3170&group=sci.space.policy#3170

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 17:25:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.
From: dumpst...@hotmail.com (dumpster4@hotmail.com)
 by: dumpster4@hotmail.co - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 00:25 UTC

"NASA launched a first-of-its kind mission on Saturday to study Jupiter's Trojan
asteroids, two large clusters of space rocks that scientists believe are
remnants of primordial material that formed the solar system's outer planets.

The space probe, dubbed Lucy and packed inside a special cargo capsule,
lifted off on schedule from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida at 5:34
a.m. EDT (0934 GMT), NASA said."

See:

https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20211016-nasa-launches-history-making-probe-to-study-jupiter-s-asteroids

Re: Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.

<d87ca3f6-b09b-4115-8b62-fa76bb2203c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3171&group=sci.space.policy#3171

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 07:46:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.
From: dumpst...@hotmail.com (dumpster4@hotmail.com)
 by: dumpster4@hotmail.co - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:46 UTC

Uh oh. Hopefully, this issue will be resolved soon:

NASA's Lucy probe is experiencing problem with one solar array

"NASA had reason to celebrate Saturday after launching Lucy, a spacecraft
tasked with investigating the Trojan asteroids locked in Jupiter's orbit. But
Lucy appears to have encountered its first obstacle: One of the probe's two
solar arrays, which are powering Lucy's exploration, may not properly be
locked in place.

"Lucy's two solar arrays have deployed, and both are producing power and the
battery is charging," NASA said Sunday in a blog post. "While one of the arrays
has latched, indications are that the second array may not be fully latched."

See:

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasas-lucy-probe-is-experiencing-problem-with-solar-array/

Re: Jupiter asteroid probe (Lucy) launches.

<mn.63917e5be34c2277.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3208&group=sci.space.policy#3208

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:13:08 -0800
 by: Snidely - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:13 UTC

Sunday, dumpster4@hotmail.com murmurred ...
> "NASA launched a first-of-its kind mission on Saturday to study Jupiter's
> Trojan asteroids, two large clusters of space rocks that scientists believe
> are remnants of primordial material that formed the solar system's outer
> planets.
>
> The space probe, dubbed Lucy and packed inside a special cargo capsule,
> lifted off on schedule from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida at
> 5:34 a.m. EDT (0934 GMT), NASA said."
>
> See:
>
> https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20211016-nasa-launches-history-making-probe-to-study-jupiter-s-asteroids

Working through a backlog of the teasers in sci.space.science, I just
read the announcement of NASA's announcement of the Lucy and Psyche
missons, January 2017.

/dps

--
"This is all very fine, but let us not be carried away be excitement,
but ask calmly, how does this person feel about in in his cooler