6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Nano-3 will not charge

SubjectAuthor
* Nano-3 will not chargeTony
`* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeTony
 +* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeMartin Gregorie
 |`* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeMatthew Scutter
 | `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargestephen...@sympatico.ca
 |  +- Re: Nano-3 will not chargeJohn DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
 |  `- Re: Nano-3 will not chargeStéphane Vander Veken
 `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargekinsell
  `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeTony
   `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeMartin Gregorie
    +* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeMoshe Braner
    |`* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeMartin Gregorie
    | `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeTony
    |  `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeRichard Pfiffner
    |   `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeTony
    |    `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargePaul Agnew
    |     `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeBobW
    |      `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeRichard Pfiffner
    |       `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargePaul Agnew
    |        +- Re: Nano-3 will not chargeTony
    |        `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargeRichard Pfiffner
    |         `* Re: Nano-3 will not chargePaul Agnew
    |          `- Re: Nano-3 will not chargeTony
    `- Re: Nano-3 will not chargeDave Nadler

1
Nano-3 will not charge

<189beec8-65a2-41da-b237-ff5a398aabbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20643&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20643

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 15:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Nano-3 will not charge
From: sgs1...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 22:21 UTC

Hey all, my Nano-3 is up to date and worked fine a few weeks ago.

Trying to charge it for tomorrow, it continues to DISCHARGE when plugged in to factory wall charger, brand x wall charger, and through PC/USB, both with unit shut down and while up and running.

Started at over 20% battery but it only goes down. 2 LEDs.

I am going to let it crash and try charging from that state, any other udeas?

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<f2107ec2-f599-4c47-b508-6d53a0164440n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20644&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20644

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 15:41:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Nano-3 will not charge
From: sgs1...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 22:41 UTC

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:21:35 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
> Hey all, my Nano-3 is up to date and worked fine a few weeks ago.
>
> Trying to charge it for tomorrow, it continues to DISCHARGE when plugged in to factory wall charger, brand x wall charger, and through PC/USB, both with unit shut down and while up and running.
>
> Started at over 20% battery but it only goes down. 2 LEDs.
>
> I am going to let it crash and try charging from that state, any other udeas?
So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash, decided that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and shutting down. Room temperature for three weeks and around 40% charge, apparently that falls under the cautions? Had this thing for about 7 years and new battery last year, looks like I have to treat it with suspicion and kid gloves from now on!?

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<s6ct80$jh3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20649&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20649

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:05:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:05 UTC

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 15:41:52 -0700, Tony wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:21:35 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
>> Hey all, my Nano-3 is up to date and worked fine a few weeks ago.
>>
>> Trying to charge it for tomorrow, it continues to DISCHARGE when
>> plugged in to factory wall charger, brand x wall charger, and through
>> PC/USB, both with unit shut down and while up and running.
>>
>> Started at over 20% battery but it only goes down. 2 LEDs.
>>
>> I am going to let it crash and try charging from that state, any other
>> udeas?
> So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash, decided
> that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and shutting down.
> Room temperature for three weeks and around 40% charge, apparently that
> falls under the cautions? Had this thing for about 7 years and new
> battery last year, looks like I have to treat it with suspicion and kid
> gloves from now on!?

What sort of batteries does it use? If its on AA or AAA cells, they're
probably NiMH, which are pretty much junk. Replace then with Sanyo EneLoop
and you'll see a big difference.

The other point, particularly a problem with NiMH chemistry, is that they
self-discharge quite rapidly - and this process is speeded up if the
device using them has any type of soft-touch switch rather than a
mechanical power switch. The former makes the device permanently 'on'
because soft-touch switches burn battery power while they are watching
for somebody to press the on switch.

As a result, when you aren't using the PNA/PDA/logger which has a soft-
touch power switch they are still using battery power.

Example: I have a fairly old EW Micro logger, which uses a set of four
NiMH AA cells to power it when it isn't connected to the glider's 12v
supply. It also has a soft-touch power switch. Consequently, if it isn't
recharged at least once a month during winter, when we aren't flying, the
NiMH cells will be destroyed, and must be replaced and the logger will
have also loose its configuration settings.

My Medion S.3747 PNA, which runs LK8000, has the same issue, a touch-
sensitive power switch, and also needs to be recharged each month over
winter, while by contrast the even older Binatone PNA that the Medion
replaced has a mechanical power switch and only needs charging every six
months or so.

I've never used a Nano, but I have a strong suspicion that it has a soft-
touch power switch and so will flatten its batteries relatively fast.
Keep an eye on its charge state during the winter and recharge as needed
and its batteries will last a lot longer. Fortunately modern hybrid
battery chemistry (or Li-ion) has a much lower self-discharge rate than
NiMH batteries.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<15a539f9-17f2-423f-a4d0-d84ca5e4133fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20656&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20656

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 19:33:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: yellowpl...@gmail.com (Matthew Scutter)
 by: Matthew Scutter - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 02:33 UTC

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:05:23 AM UTC+10, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 15:41:52 -0700, Tony wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:21:35 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
> >> Hey all, my Nano-3 is up to date and worked fine a few weeks ago.
> >>
> >> Trying to charge it for tomorrow, it continues to DISCHARGE when
> >> plugged in to factory wall charger, brand x wall charger, and through
> >> PC/USB, both with unit shut down and while up and running.
> >>
> >> Started at over 20% battery but it only goes down. 2 LEDs.
> >>
> >> I am going to let it crash and try charging from that state, any other
> >> udeas?
> > So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash, decided
> > that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and shutting down.
> > Room temperature for three weeks and around 40% charge, apparently that
> > falls under the cautions? Had this thing for about 7 years and new
> > battery last year, looks like I have to treat it with suspicion and kid
> > gloves from now on!?
> What sort of batteries does it use? If its on AA or AAA cells, they're
> probably NiMH, which are pretty much junk. Replace then with Sanyo EneLoop
> and you'll see a big difference.
>
> The other point, particularly a problem with NiMH chemistry, is that they
> self-discharge quite rapidly - and this process is speeded up if the
> device using them has any type of soft-touch switch rather than a
> mechanical power switch. The former makes the device permanently 'on'
> because soft-touch switches burn battery power while they are watching
> for somebody to press the on switch.
>
> As a result, when you aren't using the PNA/PDA/logger which has a soft-
> touch power switch they are still using battery power.
>
> Example: I have a fairly old EW Micro logger, which uses a set of four
> NiMH AA cells to power it when it isn't connected to the glider's 12v
> supply. It also has a soft-touch power switch. Consequently, if it isn't
> recharged at least once a month during winter, when we aren't flying, the
> NiMH cells will be destroyed, and must be replaced and the logger will
> have also loose its configuration settings.
>
> My Medion S.3747 PNA, which runs LK8000, has the same issue, a touch-
> sensitive power switch, and also needs to be recharged each month over
> winter, while by contrast the even older Binatone PNA that the Medion
> replaced has a mechanical power switch and only needs charging every six
> months or so.
>
> I've never used a Nano, but I have a strong suspicion that it has a soft-
> touch power switch and so will flatten its batteries relatively fast.
> Keep an eye on its charge state during the winter and recharge as needed
> and its batteries will last a lot longer. Fortunately modern hybrid
> battery chemistry (or Li-ion) has a much lower self-discharge rate than
> NiMH batteries.
>

> --
> Martin | martin at
> Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I believe it uses an 1800mAh LiPo that is not user replaceable. I have seen one swell up like an old laptop before so they are not immune to failure. I would guess yours has failed and needs replacing.

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<af6f205f-1c95-4f53-8056-c88236cc8cb6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20665&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20665

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 21:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@sympatico.ca (stephen...@sympatico.ca)
 by: stephen...@sympatico - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 04:31 UTC

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 10:33:15 PM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:
> On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:05:23 AM UTC+10, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> > > So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash, decided
> > > that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and shutting down.
> > > Room temperature for three weeks and around 40% charge, apparently that
> > > falls under the cautions? Had this thing for about 7 years and new
> > > battery last year, looks like I have to treat it with suspicion and kid
> > > gloves from now on!?
> > What sort of batteries does it use? If its on AA or AAA cells, they're
> > probably NiMH, which are pretty much junk. Replace then with Sanyo EneLoop
> > and you'll see a big difference.
> >
> > The other point, particularly a problem with NiMH chemistry, is that they
> > self-discharge quite rapidly - and this process is speeded up if the
> > device using them has any type of soft-touch switch rather than a
> > mechanical power switch. The former makes the device permanently 'on'
> > because soft-touch switches burn battery power while they are watching
> > for somebody to press the on switch.
> >
> > As a result, when you aren't using the PNA/PDA/logger which has a soft-
> > touch power switch they are still using battery power.
> >
> > Example: I have a fairly old EW Micro logger, which uses a set of four
> > NiMH AA cells to power it when it isn't connected to the glider's 12v
> > supply. It also has a soft-touch power switch. Consequently, if it isn't
> > recharged at least once a month during winter, when we aren't flying, the
> > NiMH cells will be destroyed, and must be replaced and the logger will
> > have also loose its configuration settings.
> >
> > My Medion S.3747 PNA, which runs LK8000, has the same issue, a touch-
> > sensitive power switch, and also needs to be recharged each month over
> > winter, while by contrast the even older Binatone PNA that the Medion
> > replaced has a mechanical power switch and only needs charging every six
> > months or so.
> >
> > I've never used a Nano, but I have a strong suspicion that it has a soft-
> > touch power switch and so will flatten its batteries relatively fast.
> > Keep an eye on its charge state during the winter and recharge as needed
> > and its batteries will last a lot longer. Fortunately modern hybrid
> > battery chemistry (or Li-ion) has a much lower self-discharge rate than
> > NiMH batteries.
> >

> > --
> > Martin | martin at
> > Gregorie | gregorie dot org
> I believe it uses an 1800mAh LiPo that is not user replaceable. I have seen one swell up like an old laptop before so they are not immune to failure. I would guess yours has failed and needs replacing.
Nano and Nano 3 are user replaceable and without worrying about the seal.

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<c51208a3-21e0-41d6-b5ff-9f0dde09b284n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20666&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20666

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 22:30:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: jhder...@gmail.com (John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net)
 by: John DeRosa OHM Ω - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 05:30 UTC

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 11:31:19 PM UTC-5, stephen...@sympatico.ca wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 10:33:15 PM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:

> > > What sort of batteries does it use? If its on AA or AAA cells, they're
> > > probably NiMH, which are pretty much junk. Replace then with Sanyo EneLoop
> > > and you'll see a big difference.
> > >
> > > The other point, particularly a problem with NiMH chemistry, is that they
> > > self-discharge quite rapidly - and this process is speeded up if the
> > > device using them has any type of soft-touch switch rather than a
> > > mechanical power switch. The former makes the device permanently 'on'
> > > because soft-touch switches burn battery power while they are watching
> > > for somebody to press the on switch.
> > >
> > > As a result, when you aren't using the PNA/PDA/logger which has a soft-
> > > touch power switch they are still using battery power.
> > >
> > > Example: I have a fairly old EW Micro logger, which uses a set of four
> > > NiMH AA cells to power it when it isn't connected to the glider's 12v
> > > supply. It also has a soft-touch power switch. Consequently, if it isn't
> > > recharged at least once a month during winter, when we aren't flying, the
> > > NiMH cells will be destroyed, and must be replaced and the logger will
> > > have also loose its configuration settings.
> > >
> > > My Medion S.3747 PNA, which runs LK8000, has the same issue, a touch-
> > > sensitive power switch, and also needs to be recharged each month over
> > > winter, while by contrast the even older Binatone PNA that the Medion
> > > replaced has a mechanical power switch and only needs charging every six
> > > months or so.
> > >
> > > I've never used a Nano, but I have a strong suspicion that it has a soft-
> > > touch power switch and so will flatten its batteries relatively fast.
> > > Keep an eye on its charge state during the winter and recharge as needed
> > > and its batteries will last a lot longer. Fortunately modern hybrid
> > > battery chemistry (or Li-ion) has a much lower self-discharge rate than
> > > NiMH batteries.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Martin | martin at
> > > Gregorie | gregorie dot org
> > I believe it uses an 1800mAh LiPo that is not user replaceable. I have seen one swell up like an old laptop before so they are not immune to failure. I would guess yours has failed and needs replacing.
> Nano and Nano 3 are user replaceable and without worrying about the seal.

You may want to ask about this on the LXNAV Google group.

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<3eb4441b-95ba-422c-9ffc-e9ee9084f138n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20667&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20667

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 23:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephane...@scarlet.be (Stéphane Vander Veken)
 by: Stéphane Vander Vek - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 06:45 UTC

This is from the Nano³ manual:

4.11 Replacing battery
The battery can be replaced by user. You will need a screwdriver with cross head (Phillips).
Unscrew three screws.
Open the cover and remove the battery.
Insert a new Nokia 3310 battery (Li-Ion). Make sure that the contacts are properly aligned.
Close the cover and screw back three screws gently.

So no problem there. It could be that your new battery is less resistant than your first one, especially when getting very low on charge...

The only problem I had with my Nano³ (original battery - 2014) was that it disconnected in flight, interrupted the log and restarted the Nano. I solved this by putting some padding behind the battery, to keep it in place..

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<s6eg8c$ke1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20674&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20674

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 08:35:54 -0600
 by: kinsell - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 14:35 UTC

On 4/28/21 4:41 PM, Tony wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:21:35 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
>> Hey all, my Nano-3 is up to date and worked fine a few weeks ago.
>>
>> Trying to charge it for tomorrow, it continues to DISCHARGE when plugged in to factory wall charger, brand x wall charger, and through PC/USB, both with unit shut down and while up and running.
>>
>> Started at over 20% battery but it only goes down. 2 LEDs.
>>
>> I am going to let it crash and try charging from that state, any other udeas?
> So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash, decided that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and shutting down. Room temperature for three weeks and around 40% charge, apparently that falls under the cautions? Had this thing for about 7 years and new battery last year, looks like I have to treat it with suspicion and kid gloves from now on!?

Have you tried different USB cords? They can become intermittent.

One long shot is USB sockets can become contaminated with dust and
pocket lint after years of use, plugging in the connector pushes a
little bit of gunk into the socket each time. If it happens again, try
holding the plug into the unit. Can be cleaned out with something like
a flat wooden toothpick.

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<1ff52c1a-9ee9-4608-9094-d25af05d73dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20696&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20696

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 19:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: sgs1...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 02:54 UTC

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:35:59 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
> On 4/28/21 4:41 PM, Tony wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 6:21:35 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
> >> Hey all, my Nano-3 is up to date and worked fine a few weeks ago.
> >>
> >> Trying to charge it for tomorrow, it continues to DISCHARGE when plugged in to factory wall charger, brand x wall charger, and through PC/USB, both with unit shut down and while up and running.
> >>
> >> Started at over 20% battery but it only goes down. 2 LEDs.
> >>
> >> I am going to let it crash and try charging from that state, any other udeas?
> > So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash, decided that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and shutting down. Room temperature for three weeks and around 40% charge, apparently that falls under the cautions? Had this thing for about 7 years and new battery last year, looks like I have to treat it with suspicion and kid gloves from now on!?
> >
> Have you tried different USB cords? They can become intermittent.
>
> One long shot is USB sockets can become contaminated with dust and
> pocket lint after years of use, plugging in the connector pushes a
> little bit of gunk into the socket each time. If it happens again, try
> holding the plug into the unit. Can be cleaned out with something like
> a flat wooden toothpick.
Thanks, everyone. I think Martin may be on the right track. Situation resolved after multiple tries. LXNAV recommended charging without shutting down which I will try tonight. Also going to assume the "extended period" warning applies to weeks, not months!

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<s6gki0$gd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20705&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20705

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:01:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:01 UTC

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 19:54:16 -0700, Tony wrote:

> On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:35:59 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:

>> > So finally the discharge is reversing. I did not let it crash,
>> > decided that would be risky. Just kept unplugging/replugging and
>> > shutting down. Room temperature for three weeks and around 40%
>> > charge, apparently that falls under the cautions? Had this thing for
>> > about 7 years and new battery last year, looks like I have to treat
>> > it with suspicion and kid gloves from now on!?
>> >
>> Have you tried different USB cords? They can become intermittent.
>>
>> One long shot is USB sockets can become contaminated with dust and
>> pocket lint after years of use, plugging in the connector pushes a
>> little bit of gunk into the socket each time. If it happens again, try
>> holding the plug into the unit. Can be cleaned out with something like
>> a flat wooden toothpick.
> Thanks, everyone. I think Martin may be on the right track. Situation
> resolved after multiple tries. LXNAV recommended charging without
> shutting down which I will try tonight. Also going to assume the
> "extended period" warning applies to weeks, not months!

I didn't realise it has Li-ion batteries: using any power switch other
than mechanical is bad news for those: if you don't check their charge
state regularly the batteries WILL self-destruct if their voltage falls
below 2.5v per cell or they're charged above 4.2v. On top of that a Li-
ion battery self-discharges at about 2% per month, even when not
connected to anything.

If the Nano's charger (external or built-in) has an automatic cutoff at
full charge and can 'float' when the battery reaches full charge, I'd
leave it permanently on charge when its not being used. This style of
charger has been common for years for SLA batteries and is often supplied
with the device. My camera chargers (both built-in and separate) do this
and so does the charger for my Yaesu FTA-250 hand-held radio.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<s6gtsg$de2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20706&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20706

From: moshe.br...@gmail.com (Moshe Braner)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:42:58 -0400
 by: Moshe Braner - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 12:42 UTC

On 4/30/2021 6:01 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> I didn't realise it has Li-ion batteries: using any power switch other
> than mechanical is bad news for those: if you don't check their charge
> state regularly the batteries WILL self-destruct if their voltage falls
> below 2.5v per cell or they're charged above 4.2v. On top of that a Li-
> ion battery self-discharges at about 2% per month, even when not
> connected to anything.
>
> If the Nano's charger (external or built-in) has an automatic cutoff at
> full charge and can 'float' when the battery reaches full charge, I'd
> leave it permanently on charge when its not being used. This style of
> charger has been common for years for SLA batteries and is often supplied
> with the device. My camera chargers (both built-in and separate) do this
> and so does the charger for my Yaesu FTA-250 hand-held radio.

Right in theory, but in reality it seems that many of those
push-button-to-start devices hold their charge for many months, even
years, with no problem. I have several such devices, including rarely
used old smartphones and tablets, e-readers, goTenna gizmos,
flashlights, etc. The circuit of such on/off buttons can be designed to
use mere microamps *. LiIon batteries usually have a protection circuit
built in to prevent them from over-discharging.

The PLB I carry with me when flying has a push button to turn it on, and
its non-rechargable lithium battery pack is officially good for 5 years
- and then is still supposed to be strong enough to transmit (in pulses)
for 24 hours.

And I've read warnings in various places NOT to use a "float" charger on
lithium batteries. E.g., if you use a 12V LiFePO4 battery instead of
SLA in your glider (highly recommended!) do not leave it on a float
charger designed for SLAs when not flying. Ideally you'd use a charger
designed for LiFePO4, and it shuts the charge off completely when it
decides that the battery is "full". You can use a charger designed for
SLA, the battery will be mostly but not fully charged, and you should
manually disconnect it after it thinks the charge is done.

* Math appendix: if the battery capacity is 1 amp-hour and the
pushbutton circuit uses 10 microamps it will take 100,000 hours to
discharge the battery. That is more than 10 years.

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<s6h5ca$cok$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20711&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20711

From: drn...@nadler.com (Dave Nadler)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:48:42 -0400
 by: Dave Nadler - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 14:48 UTC

On 4/30/2021 6:01 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> ... On top of that a Li-
> ion battery self-discharges at about 2% per month, even when not
> connected to anything.

Please, there are MANY different kinds of Li-ion batteries,
and some of them have MUCH lower self-discharge than 2%/month...

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<s6hodl$g5d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20714&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20714

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 20:13:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 20:13 UTC

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:42:58 -0400, Moshe Braner wrote:

> On 4/30/2021 6:01 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> Right in theory, but in reality it seems that many of those
> push-button-to-start devices hold their charge for many months, even
> years, with no problem. I have several such devices, including rarely
> used old smartphones and tablets, e-readers, goTenna gizmos,
> flashlights, etc. The circuit of such on/off buttons can be designed to
> use mere microamps *.

I was quoting from my own experience from using apparently similar PNAs:
one has a mechanical power switch, the other a soft sensor power switch.
But I take your point: an even old Pentax Optio snapper uses a soft
switch, but holds charge much better than the newer Medion PNA I run
LK8000 on.

> And I've read warnings in various places NOT to use a "float" charger on
> lithium batteries.

I was not recommending using an SLA charger for Li-ion or LiPO batteries.
Maybe I should have been clearer about that.

This could well be a case for recommending devices that charge via a USB
connector - I don't recall seeing any of these that don't stop accepting
charge when its battery is full.

> * Math appendix: if the battery capacity is 1 amp-hour and the
> pushbutton circuit uses 10 microamps it will take 100,000 hours to
> discharge the battery. That is more than 10 years.

Sure, but in a race to the bottom on competitive pricing, what's the
likelihood that the device will contain the best soft switch rather than
the cheapest?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<e7a9afb8-3a7d-427d-b3a8-ec2ccbf683ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20719&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20719

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:51:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: sgs1...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 23:51 UTC

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:13:44 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:42:58 -0400, Moshe Braner wrote:
>
> > On 4/30/2021 6:01 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
> > Right in theory, but in reality it seems that many of those
> > push-button-to-start devices hold their charge for many months, even
> > years, with no problem. I have several such devices, including rarely
> > used old smartphones and tablets, e-readers, goTenna gizmos,
> > flashlights, etc. The circuit of such on/off buttons can be designed to
> > use mere microamps *.
> >
> I was quoting from my own experience from using apparently similar PNAs:
> one has a mechanical power switch, the other a soft sensor power switch.
> But I take your point: an even old Pentax Optio snapper uses a soft
> switch, but holds charge much better than the newer Medion PNA I run
> LK8000 on.
> > And I've read warnings in various places NOT to use a "float" charger on
> > lithium batteries.
> >
> I was not recommending using an SLA charger for Li-ion or LiPO batteries.
> Maybe I should have been clearer about that.
>
> This could well be a case for recommending devices that charge via a USB
> connector - I don't recall seeing any of these that don't stop accepting
> charge when its battery is full.
> > * Math appendix: if the battery capacity is 1 amp-hour and the
> > pushbutton circuit uses 10 microamps it will take 100,000 hours to
> > discharge the battery. That is more than 10 years.
> >
> Sure, but in a race to the bottom on competitive pricing, what's the
> likelihood that the device will contain the best soft switch rather than
> the cheapest?
> --
> Martin | martin at
> Gregorie | gregorie dot org
I'm glad this thread has been expanded upon...by the way when the Nano reversed the discharge and started charging, it ended up at over 107% before I unplugged it!? Can't swear I never saw that before but the discharging while trying to charge was definitely a new thing...

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<d6aa0112-f1db-4204-adf9-984a1aa6afc0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20722&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20722

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: handb9...@gmail.com (Richard Pfiffner)
 by: Richard Pfiffner - Sat, 1 May 2021 02:03 UTC

Start by just replacing the battery. If that does not work buy a new NANO or send to LXNAV for repair.

Richard

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<5edcba18-1fbc-46eb-916e-5192e623195cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20728&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20728

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 04:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: sgs1...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Sat, 1 May 2021 11:32 UTC

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 10:03:29 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
> Start by just replacing the battery. If that does not work buy a new NANO or send to LXNAV for repair.
>
> Richard
Battery is one year old. Will monitor behaviour.

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<55ddacd7-3574-4780-bcc3-544b8237b99fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31594&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31594

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 16:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: bluejet...@gmail.com (Paul Agnew)
 by: Paul Agnew - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 23:41 UTC

Resurrecting this Nano3 battery thread...

Does anyone know where to source the 1700mAh battery specified? All of the Nokia 3310 3.7v batteries I can find online are much lower capacities. The best I could find is a 1500mAh on Ebay, but I'm wondering if there is a compatible battery out there that we can use.

My Nano3 sat for many months and when I went to charge it today it won't accept any of my chargers. I can boot it, but it shuts down for low battery in about 45 seconds. No indicator lights when I plug it in.

Yes, there are replacement instructions in the NANO3 Manual and also under the cover once you remove it. The label under the back cover says:

3.7v 1700mAh Li-Ion BATTERY TYPE (NOKIA 3310 or similar)

It's the "or similar" that has me wondering what other batteries are compatible.

PA

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<tvo3e2$2dab5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31596&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31596

From: rfwhe...@greeleynet.com (BobW)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 18:25:37 -0600
<s6gki0$gd$1@dont-email.me> <s6gtsg$de2$1@dont-email.me>
<s6hodl$g5d$1@dont-email.me>
<e7a9afb8-3a7d-427d-b3a8-ec2ccbf683ebn@googlegroups.com>
<d6aa0112-f1db-4204-adf9-984a1aa6afc0n@googlegroups.com>
<5edcba18-1fbc-46eb-916e-5192e623195cn@googlegroups.com>
<55ddacd7-3574-4780-bcc3-544b8237b99fn@googlegroups.com>
 by: BobW - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:25 UTC

On 3/25/2023 5:41 PM, Paul Agnew wrote:

> Resurrecting this Nano3 battery thread...
>
> Does anyone know where to source the 1700mAh battery specified? All of the
> Nokia 3310 3.7v batteries I can find online are much lower capacities. The
> best I could find is a 1500mAh on Ebay, but I'm wondering if there is a
> compatible battery out there that we can use.
>
> My Nano3 sat for many months and when I went to charge it today it won't
> accept any of my chargers. I can boot it, but it shuts down for low
> battery in about 45 seconds. No indicator lights when I plug it in.
>
> Yes, there are replacement instructions in the NANO3 Manual and also under
> the cover once you remove it. The label under the back cover says:
>
> 3.7v 1700mAh Li-Ion BATTERY TYPE (NOKIA 3310 or similar)
>
> It's the "or similar" that has me wondering what other batteries are
> compatible.
>
> PA

If you haven't already, you might try batteriesamerica.com, where I sourced
not-only some - gasp! - ni-cad batteries for a 1990's-ish AM Futaba RC control
box and long-disused RC sailplane receiver (originals corroded/long-dead).

Pretty astonishing source in terms of "general battery availability" IMHO...

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<a737d4ee-d642-4f12-aa73-f8932be50304n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31602&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31602

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 06:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: handb9...@gmail.com (Richard Pfiffner)
 by: Richard Pfiffner - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 13:05 UTC

On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 5:25:44 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
> On 3/25/2023 5:41 PM, Paul Agnew wrote:
> >>>>
> > Resurrecting this Nano3 battery thread...
> >
> > Does anyone know where to source the 1700mAh battery specified? All of the
> > Nokia 3310 3.7v batteries I can find online are much lower capacities. The
> > best I could find is a 1500mAh on Ebay, but I'm wondering if there is a
> > compatible battery out there that we can use.
> >
> > My Nano3 sat for many months and when I went to charge it today it won't
> > accept any of my chargers. I can boot it, but it shuts down for low
> > battery in about 45 seconds. No indicator lights when I plug it in.
> >
> > Yes, there are replacement instructions in the NANO3 Manual and also under
> > the cover once you remove it. The label under the back cover says:
> >
> > 3.7v 1700mAh Li-Ion BATTERY TYPE (NOKIA 3310 or similar)
> >
> > It's the "or similar" that has me wondering what other batteries are
> > compatible.
> >
> > PA
> >
> If you haven't already, you might try batteriesamerica.com, where I sourced
> not-only some - gasp! - ni-cad batteries for a 1990's-ish AM Futaba RC control
> box and long-disused RC sailplane receiver (originals corroded/long-dead)..
>
> Pretty astonishing source in terms of "general battery availability" IMHO....
Battery Available on this page

https://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_accessories.htm
Part number 1055039

Richard

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<51adf070-ab2c-4360-898e-07e8e34265c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31610&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31610

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 15:11:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: bluejet...@gmail.com (Paul Agnew)
 by: Paul Agnew - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 22:11 UTC

On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 9:05:26 AM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
> On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 5:25:44 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
> > On 3/25/2023 5:41 PM, Paul Agnew wrote:
> > >>>>
> > > Resurrecting this Nano3 battery thread...
> > >
> > > Does anyone know where to source the 1700mAh battery specified? All of the
> > > Nokia 3310 3.7v batteries I can find online are much lower capacities.. The
> > > best I could find is a 1500mAh on Ebay, but I'm wondering if there is a
> > > compatible battery out there that we can use.
> > >
> > > My Nano3 sat for many months and when I went to charge it today it won't
> > > accept any of my chargers. I can boot it, but it shuts down for low
> > > battery in about 45 seconds. No indicator lights when I plug it in.
> > >
> > > Yes, there are replacement instructions in the NANO3 Manual and also under
> > > the cover once you remove it. The label under the back cover says:
> > >
> > > 3.7v 1700mAh Li-Ion BATTERY TYPE (NOKIA 3310 or similar)
> > >
> > > It's the "or similar" that has me wondering what other batteries are
> > > compatible.
> > >
> > > PA
> > >
> > If you haven't already, you might try batteriesamerica.com, where I sourced
> > not-only some - gasp! - ni-cad batteries for a 1990's-ish AM Futaba RC control
> > box and long-disused RC sailplane receiver (originals corroded/long-dead).
> >
> > Pretty astonishing source in terms of "general battery availability" IMHO...
> Battery Available on this page
>

> https://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_accessories.htm
> Part number 1055039
>
> Richard

Thanks, Richard! Can you confirm the amp hour rating for this battery?

PA

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<fd566f15-9801-4c9b-8844-8d9b72f8d9d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31613&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31613

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 03:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: sgs1...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 10:36 UTC

On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 6:11:33 PM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
> On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 9:05:26 AM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

> > > If you haven't already, you might try batteriesamerica.com, where I sourced
> > > not-only some - gasp! - ni-cad batteries for a 1990's-ish AM Futaba RC control
> > > box and long-disused RC sailplane receiver (originals corroded/long-dead).
> > >
> > > Pretty astonishing source in terms of "general battery availability" IMHO...
> > Battery Available on this page
> >

> > https://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_accessories.htm
> > Part number 1055039
> >
> > Richard
> Thanks, Richard! Can you confirm the amp hour rating for this battery?
>
> PA
I'm sure Paul Remde has the battery. Also, bad idea to let any of these gadgets sit untouched over the winter - even the Florida "winter". That being said, it's always a goat rodeo for me to get spooled up on the individual systems, buttons , file locations &c. if I do.

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<6abfd9e4-6eee-46be-abd7-7a0526f83c97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31626&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31626

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 18:59:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: handb9...@gmail.com (Richard Pfiffner)
 by: Richard Pfiffner - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 01:59 UTC

It is a LXNAV battery so I suspect it is 1700 mAH.

Richard,

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<28e87f87-6de2-4a9b-a721-db6425c2c17an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31698&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31698

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 15:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: bluejet...@gmail.com (Paul Agnew)
 by: Paul Agnew - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 22:04 UTC

On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 9:59:45 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
> It is a LXNAV battery so I suspect it is 1700 mAH.
>
> Richard,

Thanks, Richard. With shipping being almost 50% of the cost of the battery, I'll have to look around the website to see if I need anything that can be combined to spread out some of the expense over several items.

Now, the plot thickens...

I pulled the existing battery and was surprised to find it had 3.1v remaining. The unit will power up normally, but shuts down with a low battery warning a few minutes later. I've checked the USB port for debris and have tried several compatible chargers and USB cables to no avail. The battery bumped up to 3.6v with a quick two minute direct connection to a 5v 1amp charger, so I'm starting to suspect the unit is the problem. No matter what I connect to it, I get no lights indicating charging or power connected. NanoConfig last showed the battery voltage as 3.57v before it auto-shutdown, so I don't think it's a problem caused by the full-discharge voltage protection circuit (or whatever it may have built in.)

Hopefully, LXNAV will respond to my inquiry on Monday and they'll know what to do. Batteries can be fickle, so it still may be that, but the lack of any lights when turned on or charging is puzzling.

PA

Re: Nano-3 will not charge

<80e5e0cd-cff3-4b91-8fbe-9ebb1e1241b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31717&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31717

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 06:36:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: sgs1...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 13:36 UTC

On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 6:04:59 PM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
> On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 9:59:45 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
> > It is a LXNAV battery so I suspect it is 1700 mAH.
> >
> > Richard,
> Thanks, Richard. With shipping being almost 50% of the cost of the battery, I'll have to look around the website to see if I need anything that can be combined to spread out some of the expense over several items.
>
> Now, the plot thickens...
>
> I pulled the existing battery and was surprised to find it had 3.1v remaining. The unit will power up normally, but shuts down with a low battery warning a few minutes later. I've checked the USB port for debris and have tried several compatible chargers and USB cables to no avail. The battery bumped up to 3.6v with a quick two minute direct connection to a 5v 1amp charger, so I'm starting to suspect the unit is the problem. No matter what I connect to it, I get no lights indicating charging or power connected. NanoConfig last showed the battery voltage as 3.57v before it auto-shutdown, so I don't think it's a problem caused by the full-discharge voltage protection circuit (or whatever it may have built in.)
>
> Hopefully, LXNAV will respond to my inquiry on Monday and they'll know what to do. Batteries can be fickle, so it still may be that, but the lack of any lights when turned on or charging is puzzling.
>
> PA
Hey Paul, have you tried shutting it down after connecting charger? Not the preferred method but just thinking of different approaches.