Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. -- Albert Einstein

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Updating ClearNav II

SubjectAuthor
* Updating ClearNav IIDan Marotta
+* Re: Updating ClearNav IIDan Reagan
|+- Re: Updating ClearNav IIDgtarmichael
|`* Re: Updating ClearNav IIDan Marotta
| `* Re: Updating ClearNav IIDan Marotta
|  `* Re: Updating ClearNav IIDan Marotta
|   `* Re: Updating ClearNav IIDan Marotta
|    `* Re: Updating ClearNav IIkinsell
|     `* Re: Updating ClearNav IIDan Marotta
|      `- Re: Updating ClearNav IIDan Marotta
`- Re: Updating ClearNav IIyoungbl...@gmail.com

1
Updating ClearNav II

<u1sgv3$pev1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31929&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31929

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Updating ClearNav II
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:13:39 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 23:13 UTC

Today I tried unsuccessfully to update my ClearNav II with a new
data.fln file for correlating ICAO ID to contest call signs.

According to the ClearNav website, it's a simple matter of placing a
file, data.fln, downloaded from the flarmnet website into the Flarmnet
folder on the ClearNav USB stick and having the ClearNavUpdater.exe file
in the root of the USB stick, then powering on the device.

Well, there is no ClearNavUpdater.exe file in the download. There IS a
ClearNavUpdater.cnx file. I assume that's an executable file in the
Windoze realtime system which runs the ClearNav.

But my ClearNav does not boot from the USB stick as it should and has in
the past. Thinking there might be a problem with my USB stick, I
borrowed one from another pilot at Moriarty who maintains various glide
computers on the airport. His USB stick would not boot on my ClearNav,
either. The indication I see is the hour glass icon for a few seconds
then there's a small "Beep" from the speaker, and then the ClearNav
boots as though there was no USB connected.

I have tried using USB sticks generated on a Linux computer, an Apple
computer, and a Windows 10 computer. All acted the same way. I thought
there may be a faulty USB connection, but I was able to download a
flight to the USB drive.

Maybe there is a cable fault which allows download a file from the
device but not booting from the USB. I was half way home from the
airport before realizing that I could unplug my panel mounted USB port
and plugging my USB stick directly into the USB port on the back of the
ClearNav. I'll try that tomorrow.

Have I left out anything? Can anyone make a suggestion? The ClearNav
forum seems to have disappeared with their new website and I haven't
seen anything from T8 in quite a while.
--
Dan
5J

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<cf1e730d-96fe-4fac-a968-3ad0b5116fb6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31930&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31930

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:12:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Updating ClearNav II
From: dreaga...@gmail.com (Dan Reagan)
 by: Dan Reagan - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 00:12 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 7:13:44 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Today I tried unsuccessfully to update my ClearNav II with a new
> data.fln file for correlating ICAO ID to contest call signs.
>
> According to the ClearNav website, it's a simple matter of placing a
> file, data.fln, downloaded from the flarmnet website into the Flarmnet
> folder on the ClearNav USB stick and having the ClearNavUpdater.exe file
> in the root of the USB stick, then powering on the device.
>
> Well, there is no ClearNavUpdater.exe file in the download. There IS a
> ClearNavUpdater.cnx file. I assume that's an executable file in the
> Windoze realtime system which runs the ClearNav.
>
> But my ClearNav does not boot from the USB stick as it should and has in
> the past. Thinking there might be a problem with my USB stick, I
> borrowed one from another pilot at Moriarty who maintains various glide
> computers on the airport. His USB stick would not boot on my ClearNav,
> either. The indication I see is the hour glass icon for a few seconds
> then there's a small "Beep" from the speaker, and then the ClearNav
> boots as though there was no USB connected.
>
> I have tried using USB sticks generated on a Linux computer, an Apple
> computer, and a Windows 10 computer. All acted the same way. I thought
> there may be a faulty USB connection, but I was able to download a
> flight to the USB drive.
>
> Maybe there is a cable fault which allows download a file from the
> device but not booting from the USB. I was half way home from the
> airport before realizing that I could unplug my panel mounted USB port
> and plugging my USB stick directly into the USB port on the back of the
> ClearNav. I'll try that tomorrow.
>
> Have I left out anything? Can anyone make a suggestion? The ClearNav
> forum seems to have disappeared with their new website and I haven't
> seen anything from T8 in quite a while.
> --
> Dan
> 5J
I have had the same problem. The .exe file is missing from the ClearNav download.

I pulled out an old thumb drive that is two or three years old that had the .exe file on it and it worked.

I've got a call in to Rex or Ben at Williams.

Dan Reagan

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<d441ae92-664c-4774-8284-5787e120c04fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31932&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31932

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:43:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: dtarmich...@gmail.com (Dgtarmichael)
 by: Dgtarmichael - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 02:43 UTC

I managed to update my .fln file but put the .cnx on the root. I found it in the Program file. I had new ogn trackers in other gliders flying with me that were I.D.'d property so what ever I did worked.

Doug
W24

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 7:12:36 PM UTC-5, Dan Reagan wrote:
> On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 7:13:44 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > Today I tried unsuccessfully to update my ClearNav II with a new
> > data.fln file for correlating ICAO ID to contest call signs.
> >
> > According to the ClearNav website, it's a simple matter of placing a
> > file, data.fln, downloaded from the flarmnet website into the Flarmnet
> > folder on the ClearNav USB stick and having the ClearNavUpdater.exe file
> > in the root of the USB stick, then powering on the device.
> >
> > Well, there is no ClearNavUpdater.exe file in the download. There IS a
> > ClearNavUpdater.cnx file. I assume that's an executable file in the
> > Windoze realtime system which runs the ClearNav.
> >
> > But my ClearNav does not boot from the USB stick as it should and has in
> > the past. Thinking there might be a problem with my USB stick, I
> > borrowed one from another pilot at Moriarty who maintains various glide
> > computers on the airport. His USB stick would not boot on my ClearNav,
> > either. The indication I see is the hour glass icon for a few seconds
> > then there's a small "Beep" from the speaker, and then the ClearNav
> > boots as though there was no USB connected.
> >
> > I have tried using USB sticks generated on a Linux computer, an Apple
> > computer, and a Windows 10 computer. All acted the same way. I thought
> > there may be a faulty USB connection, but I was able to download a
> > flight to the USB drive.
> >
> > Maybe there is a cable fault which allows download a file from the
> > device but not booting from the USB. I was half way home from the
> > airport before realizing that I could unplug my panel mounted USB port
> > and plugging my USB stick directly into the USB port on the back of the
> > ClearNav. I'll try that tomorrow.
> >
> > Have I left out anything? Can anyone make a suggestion? The ClearNav
> > forum seems to have disappeared with their new website and I haven't
> > seen anything from T8 in quite a while.
> > --
> > Dan
> > 5J
> I have had the same problem. The .exe file is missing from the ClearNav download.
>
> I pulled out an old thumb drive that is two or three years old that had the .exe file on it and it worked.
>
> I've got a call in to Rex or Ben at Williams.
>
> Dan Reagan

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<f9797fc0-1857-4e8b-aca5-a2744d96c143n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31951&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31951

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 03:29:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 10:29 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 7:13:44 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Today I tried unsuccessfully to update my ClearNav II with a new
> data.fln file for correlating ICAO ID to contest call signs.
>
> According to the ClearNav website, it's a simple matter of placing a
> file, data.fln, downloaded from the flarmnet website into the Flarmnet
> folder on the ClearNav USB stick and having the ClearNavUpdater.exe file
> in the root of the USB stick, then powering on the device.
>
> Well, there is no ClearNavUpdater.exe file in the download. There IS a
> ClearNavUpdater.cnx file. I assume that's an executable file in the
> Windoze realtime system which runs the ClearNav.
>
> But my ClearNav does not boot from the USB stick as it should and has in
> the past. Thinking there might be a problem with my USB stick, I
> borrowed one from another pilot at Moriarty who maintains various glide
> computers on the airport. His USB stick would not boot on my ClearNav,
> either. The indication I see is the hour glass icon for a few seconds
> then there's a small "Beep" from the speaker, and then the ClearNav
> boots as though there was no USB connected.
>
> I have tried using USB sticks generated on a Linux computer, an Apple
> computer, and a Windows 10 computer. All acted the same way. I thought
> there may be a faulty USB connection, but I was able to download a
> flight to the USB drive.
>
> Maybe there is a cable fault which allows download a file from the
> device but not booting from the USB. I was half way home from the
> airport before realizing that I could unplug my panel mounted USB port
> and plugging my USB stick directly into the USB port on the back of the
> ClearNav. I'll try that tomorrow.
>
> Have I left out anything? Can anyone make a suggestion? The ClearNav
> forum seems to have disappeared with their new website and I haven't
> seen anything from T8 in quite a while.
> --
> Dan
> 5J
Dan, what size stick are you using??? Try a 8gig stick and it probably will load. OBTP

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<u1uc7e$2q46n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31953&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31953

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 10:05:02 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 16:05 UTC

Dan, would you mind sending ClearNavUpdater,exe to me? You'd probably
have to append a garbage suffix to the file name or it might not
transmit. Or you could zip the file.

Doug, my ClearNavUpdater.cnx file IS in the root and always has been.

Bob, it's an 8 gig stick and I've tried three different sticks to no avail.

So far, I have looked at every backup disk and USB drive in the house,
Cumulus Soaring, Wings and Wheels, Craggy Aero, Wiliams Soaring and, of
course, ClearNav.net and have scoured the internet and I have not yet
found ClearNavUpdater.exe. Does anyone have it or a link to it?

Dan
5J

On 4/20/23 18:12, Dan Reagan wrote:

>> Well, there is no ClearNavUpdater.exe file in the download. There IS a
>> ClearNavUpdater.cnx file.
> I have had the same problem. The .exe file is missing from the ClearNav download.
>
> I pulled out an old thumb drive that is two or three years old that had the .exe file on it and it worked.
>
> I've got a call in to Rex or Ben at Williams.
>
> Dan Reagan

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<u1udaj$2qhq8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31954&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31954

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 10:23:47 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 16:23 UTC

Another thought just occurred: My USB stick is formatted as NTFS, could
it be that it should be FAT32? I'll check that out today, as well.

Dan
5J

On 4/21/23 10:05, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Dan, would you mind sending ClearNavUpdater,exe to me?  You'd probably
> have to append a garbage suffix to the file name or it might not
> transmit.  Or you could zip the file.
>
> Doug, my ClearNavUpdater.cnx file IS in the root and always has been.
>
> Bob, it's an 8 gig stick and I've tried three different sticks to no avail.
>
> So far, I have looked at every backup disk and USB drive in the house,
> Cumulus Soaring, Wings and Wheels, Craggy Aero, Wiliams Soaring and, of
> course, ClearNav.net and have scoured the internet and I have not yet
> found ClearNavUpdater.exe.  Does anyone have it or a link to it?
>
> Dan
> 5J
>
> On 4/20/23 18:12, Dan Reagan wrote:
>>

>>> Well, there is no ClearNavUpdater.exe file in the download. There IS a
>>> ClearNavUpdater.cnx file.
>> I have had the same problem.  The .exe file is missing from the
>> ClearNav download.
>>
>> I pulled out an old thumb drive that is two or three years old that
>> had the .exe file on it and it worked.
>>
>> I've got a call in to Rex or Ben at Williams.
>>
>> Dan Reagan

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<u1ufn6$2qtk7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31955&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31955

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 11:04:38 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 17:04 UTC

Just spoke with Williams Soaring. He told me that it might simply be
the stick that I was using was too slow to respond during attempted boot
up. I've located the stick I always used to use. It was inserted in my
TV so I reformatted it and will try again this afternoon.

Dan
5J

On 4/21/23 10:23, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Another thought just occurred:  My USB stick is formatted as NTFS, could
> it be that it should be FAT32?  I'll check that out today, as well.
>
> Dan
> 5J
>
> On 4/21/23 10:05, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Dan, would you mind sending ClearNavUpdater,exe to me?  You'd probably
>> have to append a garbage suffix to the file name or it might not
>> transmit.  Or you could zip the file.
>>
>> Doug, my ClearNavUpdater.cnx file IS in the root and always has been.
>>
>> Bob, it's an 8 gig stick and I've tried three different sticks to no
>> avail.
>>
>> So far, I have looked at every backup disk and USB drive in the house,
>> Cumulus Soaring, Wings and Wheels, Craggy Aero, Wiliams Soaring and,
>> of course, ClearNav.net and have scoured the internet and I have not
>> yet found ClearNavUpdater.exe.  Does anyone have it or a link to it?
>>
>> Dan
>> 5J

>>> I have had the same problem.  The .exe file is missing from the
>>> ClearNav download.
>>>
>>> I pulled out an old thumb drive that is two or three years old that
>>> had the .exe file on it and it worked.
>>>
>>> I've got a call in to Rex or Ben at Williams.
>>>
>>> Dan Reagan

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<u1v1dl$2tt39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31957&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31957

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 16:06:44 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 22:06 UTC

That stick worked!

But, as a retired Systems Engineer, I gotta say, it would be better to
change the boot time out to account for slower USB sticks rather than
making everyone find one that works out of a handful around the house
and hangar.

Dan
5J

On 4/21/23 11:04, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Just spoke with Williams Soaring.  He told me that it might simply be
> the stick that I was using was too slow to respond during attempted boot
> up.  I've located the stick I always used to use.  It was inserted in my
> TV so I reformatted it and will try again this afternoon.
>
> Dan
> 5J
>
> On 4/21/23 10:23, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Another thought just occurred:  My USB stick is formatted as NTFS,
>> could it be that it should be FAT32?  I'll check that out today, as well.
>>
>> Dan
>> 5J
>>
>> On 4/21/23 10:05, Dan Marotta wrote:
>>> Dan, would you mind sending ClearNavUpdater,exe to me?  You'd
>>> probably have to append a garbage suffix to the file name or it might
>>> not transmit.  Or you could zip the file.
>>>
>>> Doug, my ClearNavUpdater.cnx file IS in the root and always has been.
>>>
>>> Bob, it's an 8 gig stick and I've tried three different sticks to no
>>> avail.
>>>
>>> So far, I have looked at every backup disk and USB drive in the
>>> house, Cumulus Soaring, Wings and Wheels, Craggy Aero, Wiliams
>>> Soaring and, of course, ClearNav.net and have scoured the internet
>>> and I have not yet found ClearNavUpdater.exe.  Does anyone have it or
>>> a link to it?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>> 5J

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<u1vc28$2vfep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31958&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31958

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 19:08:22 -0600
 by: kinsell - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 01:08 UTC

You eliminated NTFS as the cause of the problem? Most of the equipment
we use in gliders wouldn't be able to handle that. I'd also avoid
sticks larger than 16 GB, and anything that's USB 3. An yes, vendors
should do a better job of testing against commonly available third-party
hardware.

-Dave

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<u20r7k$3a8s1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31961&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31961

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:33:24 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 14:33 UTC

Sorry, the stick that I'd previously used and found in the back of my TV
was formatted as FAT32 and I didn't bother to try an NTFS. I also had a
2 GB stick formatted FAT32 which also worked to update the CNIII. Funny
thing though; I tried to update to their Beta version and the update
went as usual. But after removing the stick and cycling power, the CNII
booted up to the splash screen showing the new firmware version but hung
there.

I tried a coupe of times without luck. Now that was a larger zip file
which extracted successfully to the 2 GB stick and I selected to update
software and Flarmnet which appeared to go smoothly. Maybe I'll try
that again using a 16 GB stick.

As a side note, that 2 GB stick cost $80 back in 2008. Thankfully, it
was an expense item for my job. Now I can get 5 32 GB USB drives for
under $15! Oh, and the USB drives that wouldn't work last week were
Sandisk, the brand recommended by ClearNav.

Dan
5J

Re: Updating ClearNav II

<u21kud$3ek0a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=31965&group=rec.aviation.soaring#31965

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:52:13 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 21:52 UTC

The update didn't really hang up when I updated with a 2 GB stick. It
just took a long time to boot after the update. I left it on the splash
screen and did other things and, when I looked into the cockpit, the
Beta software was up and running.

I cycled the power and timed the boot up and it took close to 5 minutes!
Well, that would work during warm up and taxi for takeoff, but closer
examination revealed that I had a boat load of waypoint files that I
won't likely ever use again. I deleted those and the new boot time was
under 2 minutes.

Dan
5J