"Plan to throw one away. You will anyway." -- Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"

tech / sci.space.policy / Re: Hut on the Moon

SubjectAuthor
* Hut on the MoonAlain Fournier
+* Re: Hut on the MoonSnidely
|`* Re: Hut on the MoonSnidely
| `- Re: Hut on the MoonAlain Fournier
+- Re: Hut on the MoonOtto J. Makela
`* Re: Hut on the MoonSylvia Else
 `* Re: Hut on the MoonSnidely
  `- Re: Hut on the MoonAlain Fournier

1
Hut on the Moon

<sp3i5m$ei1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3236&group=sci.space.policy#3236

From: alain...@videotron.ca (Alain Fournier)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Hut on the Moon
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 20:10:13 -0500
 by: Alain Fournier - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 01:10 UTC

You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2 rover
has spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but what I
don't understand is why the image provided by China is so blurry.
earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut should
be easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in the press
releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual image. But then
calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If it is really very
small, calling it a die would make more sense.

Then there is also the fact that they say that it will take 2-3 lunar
days (months) for the rover to get there. That would be an average speed
of about 5 cm per hour. I know rovers can be slow, but that is a little
ridiculous.

So does anyone know at which speed Yutu 2 can roll and what resolution
its cameras have? Does anyone know that there has been some kind of
error in those news releases?

Alain Fournier

Re: Hut on the Moon

<mn.60207e5c5bfac7e4.127094@snitoo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3237&group=sci.space.policy#3237

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Hut on the Moon
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 02:07:19 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 10:07 UTC

Alain Fournier explained on 12/11/2021 :
> You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2 rover has
> spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but what I don't
> understand is why the image provided by China is so blurry.
> earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
> The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut should be
> easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in the press
> releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual image. But then
> calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If it is really very small,
> calling it a die would make more sense.
>
> Then there is also the fact that they say that it will take 2-3 lunar days
> (months) for the rover to get there. That would be an average speed of about
> 5 cm per hour. I know rovers can be slow, but that is a little ridiculous.
>
> So does anyone know at which speed Yutu 2 can roll and what resolution its
> cameras have? Does anyone know that there has been some kind of error in
> those news releases?

I don't have the Yutu 2 specs, but consider that on November 08, 2020,
from Sol 2933 to Sol 2936, Curiosity had driven a straight line
distance of about 123.14 feet (37.53 meters), bringing the rover's
total odometry for the mission to 14.47 miles (23.29 kilometers).

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Re: Hut on the Moon

<mn.60827e5c5146bb6d.127094@snitoo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3238&group=sci.space.policy#3238

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 02:10:48 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 10:10 UTC

Snidely scribbled something on Sunday the 12/12/2021:
> Alain Fournier explained on 12/11/2021 :
>> You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2 rover
>> has spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but what I don't
>> understand is why the image provided by China is so blurry.
>> earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
>> The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut should be
>> easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in the press
>> releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual image. But then
>> calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If it is really very
>> small, calling it a die would make more sense.
>>
>> Then there is also the fact that they say that it will take 2-3 lunar days
>> (months) for the rover to get there. That would be an average speed of
>> about 5 cm per hour. I know rovers can be slow, but that is a little
>> ridiculous.
>>
>> So does anyone know at which speed Yutu 2 can roll and what resolution its
>> cameras have? Does anyone know that there has been some kind of error in
>> those news releases?
>
> I don't have the Yutu 2 specs, but consider that on November 08, 2020, from
> Sol 2933 to Sol 2936, Curiosity had driven a straight line distance of about
> 123.14 feet (37.53 meters), bringing the rover's total odometry for the
> mission to 14.47 miles (23.29 kilometers).

And more recently:
"On Sept. 12, 2021 (Sol 200) Perseverance drove 175.15m in a single sol
setting up for the entry into Séítah after going as far as time
available for driving would allow. After an 8m segment to build the
initial terrain map, the remainder 167m of the drive used AutoNav – the
farthest any of our Mars rovers have driven autonomously in a single
sol. "

<URL:https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/status/342/driving-farther-and-faster-with-autonomous-navigation-and-helicopter-scouting/>

/dps

--
"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in

Re: Hut on the Moon

<sp4luq$ff$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3239&group=sci.space.policy#3239

From: alain...@videotron.ca (Alain Fournier)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 06:20:58 -0500
 by: Alain Fournier - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 11:20 UTC

On Dec/12/2021 at 05:10, Snidely wrote :
> Snidely  scribbled something on Sunday the 12/12/2021:
>> Alain Fournier explained on 12/11/2021 :
>>> You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2
>>> rover has spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but
>>> what I don't understand is why the image provided by China is so blurry.
>>> earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
>>> The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut
>>> should be easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in
>>> the press releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual
>>> image. But then calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If
>>> it is really very small, calling it a die would make more sense.
>>>
>>> Then there is also the fact that they say that it will take 2-3 lunar
>>> days (months) for the rover to get there. That would be an average
>>> speed of about 5 cm per hour. I know rovers can be slow, but that is
>>> a little ridiculous.
>>>
>>> So does anyone know at which speed Yutu 2 can roll and what
>>> resolution its cameras have? Does anyone know that there has been
>>> some kind of error in those news releases?
>>
>> I don't have the Yutu 2 specs, but consider that on November 08, 2020,
>> from Sol 2933 to Sol 2936, Curiosity had driven a straight line
>> distance of about 123.14 feet (37.53 meters), bringing the rover's
>> total odometry for the mission to 14.47 miles (23.29 kilometers).
>
> And more recently:
> "On Sept. 12, 2021 (Sol 200) Perseverance drove 175.15m in a single sol
> setting up for the entry into Séítah after going as far as time
> available for driving would allow. After an 8m segment to build the
> initial terrain map, the remainder 167m of the drive used AutoNav – the
> farthest any of our Mars rovers have driven autonomously in a single sol. "

So 175m in a sol is about 150 times faster than 80m in 2-3 months. Since
Yutu 2 doesn't really need auto-pilot capabilities and can be remotely
controlled from earth, I really don't see why it should be so slow.

Of course, the hut might very well be a very low priority objective.
Maybe they can roll 80m in 10 minutes, but they are going to do science
on the way and take a few detours to check a few other things before
going to the hut.

Alain Fournier

Re: Hut on the Moon

<87r192a0dl.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3305&group=sci.space.policy#3305

From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:32:38 +0200
 by: Otto J. Makela - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:32 UTC

Alain Fournier <alain245@videotron.ca> wrote:

> You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2
> rover has spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but
> what I don't understand is why the image provided by China is so
> blurry.
> http://earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
> The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut
> should be easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in
> the press releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual
> image. But then calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If it
> is really very small, calling it a die would make more sense.

It was blurry, since it was zoomed in as much as the image could allow.
Was anyone really surprised it turned out to be just a boulder?

https://www.sciencealert.com/three-guesses-what-that-mysterious-hut-found-on-the-moon-turned-out-to-be

--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */

Re: Hut on the Moon

<j51auvFm1kgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3306&group=sci.space.policy#3306

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 14:11:27 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 03:11 UTC

On 12-Dec-21 12:10 pm, Alain Fournier wrote:
> You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2 rover
> has spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but what I
> don't understand is why the image provided by China is so blurry.
> earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
> The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut should
> be easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in the press
> releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual image. But then
> calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If it is really very
> small, calling it a die would make more sense.
>
> Then there is also the fact that they say that it will take 2-3 lunar
> days (months) for the rover to get there. That would be an average speed
> of about 5 cm per hour. I know rovers can be slow, but that is a little
> ridiculous.
>
> So does anyone know at which speed Yutu 2 can roll and what resolution
> its cameras have? Does anyone know that there has been some kind of
> error in those news releases?
>

> Alain Fournier

The "hut" has been clearly identified as a rock.

Sylvia.

Re: Hut on the Moon

<mn.b06c7e613a366419.127094@snitoo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3307&group=sci.space.policy#3307

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 01:48:25 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:48 UTC

Watch this space, where Sylvia Else advised that...
> On 12-Dec-21 12:10 pm, Alain Fournier wrote:
>> You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2 rover
>> has spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but what I don't
>> understand is why the image provided by China is so blurry.
>> earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
>> The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut should be
>> easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in the press
>> releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual image. But then
>> calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If it is really very
>> small, calling it a die would make more sense.
>>
>> Then there is also the fact that they say that it will take 2-3 lunar days
>> (months) for the rover to get there. That would be an average speed of
>> about 5 cm per hour. I know rovers can be slow, but that is a little
>> ridiculous.
>>
>> So does anyone know at which speed Yutu 2 can roll and what resolution its
>> cameras have? Does anyone know that there has been some kind of error in
>> those news releases?
>>

>> Alain Fournier
>
> The "hut" has been clearly identified as a rock.

How many days did it take to get close enough to confirm that?

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain

Re: Hut on the Moon

<ssh97q$6bg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3308&group=sci.space.policy#3308

From: alain...@videotron.ca (Alain Fournier)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:52:24 -0500
 by: Alain Fournier - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 15:52 UTC

On Jan/22/2022 at 04:48, Snidely wrote :
> Watch this space, where Sylvia Else advised that...
>> On 12-Dec-21 12:10 pm, Alain Fournier wrote:
>>> You probably heard about the "Hut on the Moon" that China's Yutu 2
>>> rover has spotted. I don't think the hut itself is interesting but
>>> what I don't understand is why the image provided by China is so blurry.
>>> earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
>>> The hut is supposed to be about 80 m away. At that distance a hut
>>> should be easy to see. Maybe the thing is very small and the image in
>>> the press releases is a blow up of a small portion of the actual
>>> image. But then calling it a hut would be a strange name for it. If
>>> it is really very small, calling it a die would make more sense.
>>>
>>> Then there is also the fact that they say that it will take 2-3 lunar
>>> days (months) for the rover to get there. That would be an average
>>> speed of about 5 cm per hour. I know rovers can be slow, but that is
>>> a little ridiculous.
>>>
>>> So does anyone know at which speed Yutu 2 can roll and what
>>> resolution its cameras have? Does anyone know that there has been
>>> some kind of error in those news releases?
>>>

>>> Alain Fournier
>>
>> The "hut" has been clearly identified as a rock.
>>

> How many days did it take to get close enough to confirm that?

The EarthSky article
https://earthsky.org/space/mystery-hut-yutu-2-rover-far-side-of-moon-china/
I referred to was dated Dec 10, 2021. The Science alert article Otto J.
Makela referred to
https://www.sciencealert.com/three-guesses-what-that-mysterious-hut-found-on-the-moon-turned-out-to-be
was dated Jan 10, 2022. So that is a 31 day gap. The new image is still
blurry so I would guess still taken from a distance.

More interestingly, in the Science alert paper, they say that Yutu has
driven over 1000 meters since January 2019. So the rover seems to be
speeding along at the high speed of about 1 meter per day. I think the
slow speed is for the ground penetrating radar they are using. Chasing
rocks, even rocks that have strange shapes is lower priority than using