Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Subject: Soace Station to Crash down to Earth in 2031?
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 11:29:34 -0500
 by: JF Mezei - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 16:29 UTC

BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60246032

Is this just another "funding until" step with life extended further at
some later point, or a true terminal decision that defined a "hard" end
of the line for iSS in 2031 ?

Interesting they mention Mir was ditched at a popular ditching location
when in fact it was not precisely targetted and people in Fiji saw
debris flying over.

I know I have asked this before, but how would they do this ? Fire a
progress from 400km altitude ?

Could one Progress do it, or woul it require multiple trips?

Can they let orbit decay , perhaps using solar array as sails to
increase drag, and then send a progress to do controlled burn to target
splashdown?

I take it Zarya's engines are no longer usable? Or could they
theoretically still be used?

Conceptually, could a Dragon do the job, then detach quickly, and fire
its engines to regain some speed so it splashes down near the shore of
Malibu Beach where female lifeguards could come and greet the crew?

or would the complex already be too close to atmosphere at end of
de-orbit burn to allow a Dragon to significantly extend its flight to
reach west coast of USA ?

Re: Soace Station to Crash down to Earth in 2031?

<mn.1ac57e6281701f9e.127094@snitoo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3317&group=sci.space.policy#3317

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Soace Station to Crash down to Earth in 2031?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 11:49:08 -0800
 by: Snidely - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 19:49 UTC

JF Mezei formulated the question :

> I know I have asked this before, but how would they do this ? Fire a
> progress from 400km altitude ?

And you're not the only one to ask the question. Here's Scott Manley's
report:

<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lidnLtO7c>

> Could one Progress do it, or woul it require multiple trips?
>

> Can they let orbit decay , perhaps using solar array as sails to
> increase drag, and then send a progress to do controlled burn to target
> splashdown?
>

> I take it Zarya's engines are no longer usable? Or could they
> theoretically still be used?
>

> Conceptually, could a Dragon do the job, then detach quickly, and fire
> its engines to regain some speed so it splashes down near the shore of
> Malibu Beach where female lifeguards could come and greet the crew?
>
> or would the complex already be too close to atmosphere at end of
> de-orbit burn to allow a Dragon to significantly extend its flight to
> reach west coast of USA ?

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"

Re: Space Station to Crash down to Earth in 2031?

<b41a733f-368f-4947-87ea-08c36b5beca0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3318&group=sci.space.policy#3318

Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 09:34:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Space Station to Crash down to Earth in 2031?
From: dumpst...@hotmail.com (dumpster4@hotmail.com)
 by: dumpster4@hotmail.co - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 17:34 UTC

There's also the question of what will replace it:

"If Michael Suffredini is to get the price tag of the first private
space station down to $3 billion — compared with the $100
billion it cost to build the International Space Station — the
CEO of Houston-based Axiom Space has some decisions to
make about what to outsource and what to build in-house."

See:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-31/nasa-vet-and-space-mogul-aim-to-build-97-cheaper-space-station

Re: Soace Station to Crash down to Earth in 2031?

<mn.23207e6223422b69.127094@snitoo>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3319&group=sci.space.policy#3319

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 13:20:11 -0800
 by: Snidely - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 21:20 UTC

Just this Thursday, JF Mezei explained that ...
> BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60246032
>

> Is this just another "funding until" step with life extended further at
> some later point, or a true terminal decision that defined a "hard" end
> of the line for iSS in 2031 ?

Note that there is an intention to have commercial stations by then.

Scott Manley again:
<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ01AtbRH2Y>

/dps

--