Everyone has a purpose in life. Perhaps yours is watching television. -- David Letterman

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Internet radio app

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Internet radio appAJL
`* Re: Internet radio appJoerg Lorenz
 `* Re: Internet radio appAJL
  `* Re: Internet radio appJoerg Lorenz
   `* Re: Internet radio appAJL
    `* Re: Internet radio appjetjock
     `* Re: Internet radio appAJL
      `- Re: Internet radio appjetjock

1
Re: Internet radio app

<tbrlu7$2i4oo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33500&group=comp.mobile.android#33500

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Internet radio app
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:34:30 -0700
 by: AJL - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:34 UTC

On 7/23/2022 2:43 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> Do you know a good, generic, internet radio app?

> *FM Radio : AM, FM Radio Tuner* by OneStop Radio

As mentioned earlier in the thread I found that this app does insert ads
in the stream.

> *Open Radio* by Chernyshov Yurii

I've had this app open for several hours now and no ads noted, either in
the stream or on the interface. However it either doesn't have, or does
have but won't stream (the arrow goes round and round) some of my
favorite stations. YMMV.

So I guess for me it's back to my 5 second ad per station change Radio
USA app. But thanks anyway for the suggestions...

Re: Internet radio app

<tbucgo$sias$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33529&group=comp.mobile.android#33529

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 18:12:08 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:12 UTC

Am 27.07.22 um 17:34 schrieb AJL:
> On 7/23/2022 2:43 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> *Open Radio* by Chernyshov Yurii
>
> I've had this app open for several hours now and no ads noted, either in
> the stream or on the interface. However it either doesn't have, or does
> have but won't stream (the arrow goes round and round) some of my
> favorite stations. YMMV.

Same here. Important US-stations are badly missing.
Or I get a geofencing voice information that the station is not
available in my region.

> So I guess for me it's back to my 5 second ad per station change Radio
> USA app. But thanks anyway for the suggestions...

I stick to TuneIn because it has a much more intuitive GUI and handling.
The 15 s ads at the beginning are acceptable.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Internet radio app

<tbuf3p$36rv2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33531&group=comp.mobile.android#33531

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:56:24 -0700
 by: AJL - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:56 UTC

On 7/28/2022 9:12 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 27.07.22 um 17:34 schrieb AJL:

>> I've had this app [Open Radio] open for several hours now and no
>> ads noted, either in the stream or on the interface. However it
>> either doesn't have, or does have but won't stream (the arrow goes
>> round and round) some of my favorite stations. YMMV.

> Same here. Important US-stations are badly missing. Or I get a
> geofencing voice information that the station is not available in my
> region.

Interesting that after I said yesterday that the Open Radio app had no
ads (above), this morning it sent me an ad as a notification. Sneaky.
Course it was easy to take away its notification permission in Android
settings, but still...

>> So I guess for me it's back to my 5 second ad per station change
>> Radio USA app. But thanks anyway for the suggestions...

> I stick to TuneIn because it has a much more intuitive GUI and
> handling. The 15 s ads at the beginning are acceptable.

Yup. Kinda the same for me with the 5 second ads when changing stations
in Radio USA. And if I leave it on the same station I can go several
days without an ad by leaving the app open and just stopping and
starting the stream. But that's just to thwart the app to make me
feel better. In reality 5 second ads aren't all that terrible...

Re: Internet radio app

<tbugi4$sl07$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33532&group=comp.mobile.android#33532

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 19:21:08 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 17:21 UTC

Am 28.07.22 um 18:56 schrieb AJL:
> On 7/28/2022 9:12 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> I stick to TuneIn because it has a much more intuitive GUI and
>> handling. The 15 s ads at the beginning are acceptable.
>
> Yup. Kinda the same for me with the 5 second ads when changing stations
> in Radio USA. And if I leave it on the same station I can go several
> days without an ad by leaving the app open and just stopping and
> starting the stream. But that's just to thwart the app to make me
> feel better. In reality 5 second ads aren't all that terrible...

I just started TuneIn and the ad is only as an insert on the screen. Go
to Auto-mode and it disappears anyway.

My PA-stations are too important for me. And the experience is very good
with long journeys. Without having tested ist systematically Open Radio
seems to be very energy hungry.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Internet radio app

<tcm8lv$55h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33766&group=comp.mobile.android#33766

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 17:33:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 17:33 UTC

On 7/28/22 10:21 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>Am 28.07.22 um 18:56 schrieb AJL:
>> On 7/28/2022 9:12 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>> I stick to TuneIn because it has a much more intuitive GUI and
>>> handling. The 15 s ads at the beginning are acceptable.
>>
>> Yup. Kinda the same for me with the 5 second ads when changing stations
>> in Radio USA. And if I leave it on the same station I can go several
>> days without an ad by leaving the app open and just stopping and
>> starting the stream. But that's just to thwart the app to make me
>> feel better. In reality 5 second ads aren't all that terrible...
>
>I just started TuneIn and the ad is only as an insert on the screen. Go
>to Auto-mode and it disappears anyway.

>My PA-stations are too important for me. And the experience is very good
>with long journeys. Without having tested ist systematically Open Radio
>seems to be very energy hungry.

I've been retrying TuneIn because my other radio apps have been dropping out
for 5 to 30 seconds likely due to a local problem that I haven't been able
to solve. I thought at first it was my modem but I have access to my
neighbors and his does it also. Tried several tablets and all the same.
TuneIn has a built in adjustable buffer that seems to close the gaps. So
I'll use it for now. BTW the TuneIn ads are local, imposed on the station
stream, are 2 minutes in length and run on the quarter hour. Not great but
not that terrible until I solve the problem...

Re: Internet radio app

<k0mvehh6j2mhqpk7fs1s1o23ko2ltup3np@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33772&group=comp.mobile.android#33772

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 10:40:31 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 15:40 UTC

On Sat, 6 Aug 2022 17:33:51 -0000 (UTC), AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 7/28/22 10:21 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>>
>>> Yup. Kinda the same for me with the 5 second ads when changing stations
>>> in Radio USA. And if I leave it on the same station I can go several
>>> days without an ad by leaving the app open and just stopping and
>>> starting the stream. But that's just to thwart the app to make me
>>> feel better. In reality 5 second ads aren't all that terrible...
>>
>>I just started TuneIn and the ad is only as an insert on the screen. Go
>>to Auto-mode and it disappears anyway.
>
>>My PA-stations are too important for me. And the experience is very good
>>with long journeys. Without having tested ist systematically Open Radio
>>seems to be very energy hungry.
>
>I've been retrying TuneIn because my other radio apps have been dropping out
> for 5 to 30 seconds likely due to a local problem that I haven't been able
> to solve. I thought at first it was my modem but I have access to my
> neighbors and his does it also. Tried several tablets and all the same.
> TuneIn has a built in adjustable buffer that seems to close the gaps. So
> I'll use it for now. BTW the TuneIn ads are local, imposed on the station
> stream, are 2 minutes in length and run on the quarter hour. Not great but
> not that terrible until I solve the problem...

I got this from a friend a while ago and is quite amazing. Has radio
stations from all over the world. Every green dot on the map is a
station you can click to listen to. Stations can be saved to a
favorites list. Try it out at http://radio.garden

Re: Internet radio app

<tcouf1$lbec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33775&group=comp.mobile.android#33775

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 10:57:53 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 17:57 UTC

On 8/7/2022 8:40 AM, jetjock wrote:

>> I've been retrying TuneIn because my other radio apps have been
>> dropping out for 5 to 30 seconds likely due to a local problem that
>> I haven't been able to solve. I thought at first it was my modem
>> but I have access to my neighbors and his does it also. Tried
>> several tablets and all the same.

> I got this from a friend a while ago and is quite amazing. Has radio
> stations from all over the world. Every green dot on the map is a
> station you can click to listen to. Stations can be saved to a
> favorites list. Try it out at http://radio.garden

I see that there is also a Radio Garden app in the Play Store. I didn't
give it a try but from the description it apparently does the same as
your listed website. I did give your site a try but unfortunately it's
missing some of my stations. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Re: Internet radio app

<g572fhdttk9jg0cscir21dilkk1aev27hu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33777&group=comp.mobile.android#33777

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 09:27:21 -0500
 by: jetjock - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 14:27 UTC

On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 10:57:53 -0700, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 8/7/2022 8:40 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>>> I've been retrying TuneIn because my other radio apps have been
>>> dropping out for 5 to 30 seconds likely due to a local problem that
>>> I haven't been able to solve. I thought at first it was my modem
>>> but I have access to my neighbors and his does it also. Tried
>>> several tablets and all the same.
>
>> I got this from a friend a while ago and is quite amazing. Has radio
>> stations from all over the world. Every green dot on the map is a
>> station you can click to listen to. Stations can be saved to a
>> favorites list. Try it out at http://radio.garden
>
>I see that there is also a Radio Garden app in the Play Store. I didn't
>give it a try but from the description it apparently does the same as
>your listed website. I did give your site a try but unfortunately it's
>missing some of my stations. Thanks for the suggestion though...>

There is a form you can fill out on the site to request station
additions. Don't know if it works though. Kind of appears that the
station has to be a streamer.