"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: The mystery of the landlocked seals

SubjectAuthor
* The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
+- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
+* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsJohn Harshman
|`* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
| +* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsJohn Harshman
| |+* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPandora
| ||+- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsJohn Harshman
| ||`* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
| || `* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPandora
| ||  +- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
| ||  `* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsJohn Harshman
| ||   `* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPandora
| ||    `- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsJohn Harshman
| |`* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
| | `- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsJohn Harshman
| `* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealserik simpson
|  `* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
|   `* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealserik simpson
|    `* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
|     `- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealserik simpson
+* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsMario Petrinovic
|+- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsMario Petrinovic
|`* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
| `- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsMario Petrinovic
+* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
|`- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsPeter Nyikos
`* Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsOxyaena
 `- Re: The mystery of the landlocked sealsOxyaena

Pages:12
Re: The mystery of the landlocked seals

<BYGdnbr6-raQqbf8nZ2dnUU7-aPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3274&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3274

Subject: Re: The mystery of the landlocked seals
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
References: <bd041d18-3143-4fea-969d-3c93b57a6d94n@googlegroups.com> <bpqdndJcCN0XV7v8nZ2dnUU7-audnZ2d@giganews.com> <bbd14aa2-1432-4b51-9981-df642ee29e56n@googlegroups.com> <dqydnZOBuYj9irr8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <pe8fig9d2k7itmqge2d0b434q20fceg1nk@4ax.com> <01d2370b-4a37-4f09-b6c6-91dff15288fcn@googlegroups.com> <ikofigp2lqmk9qvvavlbv85uhhm6gg0i1p@4ax.com> <hoydnTVeAPtJgLX8nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <5c3kiglnll2u7dba72pun94jp7sfoqmfuv@4ax.com>
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 06:03:08 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:03 UTC

On 8/28/21 3:20 AM, Pandora wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 16:03:47 -0700, John Harshman
> <jharshman@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/21 11:51 AM, Pandora wrote:

>>> Also check Fulton and Strobeck (2010):
>>> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2699.2010.02271.x
>>>
>>> Full text pdf avalable at:
>>> http://bbcd.bio.uniroma1.it/bbcd/sites/default/files/file%20lezioni/Fulton_Foche.pdf
>>>
>>> Interestingly, they do recover a monophyletic Pusa (although
>>> relationships within Pusa are not confidently resolved) with a
>>> divergence estimate between 1.7 and 0.8 Ma.
>>> This would support a Lower Pleistocene scenario.
>>>
>> Not thrilled.
>
> You don't have to be, just regard it as an alternative hypothesis on
> the basis of an expanded dataset.
>
>> The phylogenetic analysis seems secondary and is only
>> partly reported.
>
> It seems to me that historical biogeography doesn't make much sense
> without a prior phylogeny.

True. So it's puzzling that they don't explain it.

>> In particular, I don't see any measures of support for
>> most nodes.
>
> In fig.2 I notice that most nodes have a BPP=1.0. Wouldn't that be a
> measure of support?

I missed that. But one wonders if there was adequate mixing in order to
make that a valid measure.

>> And the analysis assumes that all loci have a common
>> phylogeny, which may not be true.
>
> How can we know?

Assaying single-locus phylogenies would help. As would jackknifing.

> Brower and Schuh (2021): "Both van Fraassen and Popper held that every
> observation is theory laden and that truth is elusive. Applying these
> perspectives to the context of biological systematics, we consider the
> "true tree", reflecting the actual history of the origins of
> biological diversity through time, to be an unattainable metaphysical
> goal."
> https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/9781501752773/biological-systematics/#bookTabs=1

One should still try to attain it, right?

Re: The mystery of the landlocked seals

<sgdo2i$m89$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3275&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3275

From: oxya...@invalid.invalid (Oxyaena)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 12:25:38 -0400
 by: Oxyaena - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 16:25 UTC

On 8/25/2021 6:20 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> When I was at an international topology conference in Baku in 1987,
> the shore of the Caspian sea was an easy climb down from our dormitory.
> One day as I walked on the beach, I spotted what looked like a skeleton
> of a human hand. As I approached, it became clear that the proportions were wrong.
>
> I can no longer remember whether I realized then that this was from
> a flipper of the Caspian seal, or even whether I had read about this seal
> before this discovery. One thing is certain: I became quite interested
> in this seal and the question of how it got there.
>
> I already knew enough paleogeography to know that, no earlier than the
> Pliocene, enough of the great sea Tethys remained for any sea creature
> to swim from the Atlantic, through the portion that became the
> Mediterranean, thence to the paleo-Black sea, and thence to where
> the Caspian Sea is now. It did not surprise me, for instance, to learn that
> there was once a Caspian Sea dolphin, nor that it became extinct before historical times.
>
> But there is another landlocked seal whose origin is still something of a mystery:
>
> "It is something of a mystery how Baikal seals came to live there in the first place. They may have swum up rivers and streams or possibly Lake Baikal was linked to the ocean at some point through a large body of water, such as the West Siberian Glacial Lake or West Siberian Plain, formed in a previous ice age. The seals are estimated to have inhabited Lake Baikal for some two million years.[7]"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baikal_seal
>
> [7] is here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1095-8312.2006.00607.x
> The enigma of the landlocked Baikal and Caspian seals addressed through phylogeny of phocine mitochondrial sequences
> JUKKA U. PALO, RISTO VÄINÖLÄ, Biological Journal of the Linnean Society
> First published: 27 April 2006
>
> I haven't had time to read the article, but I wish it had been based more than
> just on mitochondrial sequences; these are not as accurate as full genome
> sequences.
>
> The timing of events is ultimately to be found elsewhere than in phylogeny,
> but the abstract, which I will be posting in a follow-up to this OP, makes
> it plausible that we can reconstruct events to an accuracy that can
> satisfy laymen like myself.
>

> Peter Nyikos
> Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
> University of South Carolina
> http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Perhaps this can help elucidate a potential answer:
https://peerj.com/articles/9665/

It's a paper describing the discovery of a thousand year old elephant
seal fossil in Illinois. It swam to there via the Mississippi River.
It's not out of the realm of possibility that something similar happened
with the progenitors of the Baikal seal.

Re: The mystery of the landlocked seals

<shb8ph$u9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3351&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3351

From: oxya...@invalid.invalid (Oxyaena)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 17:09:03 -0400
 by: Oxyaena - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 21:09 UTC

On 8/28/2021 12:25 PM, Oxyaena wrote:
> [...]
>> sequences.
>>
>> The timing of events is ultimately to be found elsewhere than in
>> phylogeny,
>> but the abstract, which I will be posting in a follow-up to this OP,
>> makes
>> it plausible that we can reconstruct events to an accuracy that can
>> satisfy laymen like myself.
>>

>> Peter Nyikos
>> Professor, Dept. of Mathematics   -- standard disclaimer--
>> University of South Carolina
>> http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos
>>

> Perhaps this can help elucidate a potential answer:
> https://peerj.com/articles/9665/
>
> It's a paper describing the discovery of a thousand year old elephant
> seal fossil in Illinois. It swam to there via the Mississippi River.
> It's not out of the realm of possibility that something similar happened
> with the progenitors of the Baikal seal.

No response? For shame, Peter.