From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Have you ever seen an "API" download from Google Play instead of APK?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 02:33:01 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 01:33 UTC

Have you ever seen an "API" download from Google Play instead of APK?

1. Normally I see an APK as the downloaded file off of Google Play.
<https://www.xda-developers.com/shizuku/>
2. Today I installed Shikuku which was an API on GP (and not an APK).
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=moe.shizuku.privileged.api>
3. Huh? Have you ever seen that?

What's different?

Note: It's an APK on GitHub.
<https://github.com/RikkaApps/Shizuku>
<https://github.com/RikkaApps/Shizuku/releases/tag/v12.9.1>
<https://github.com/RikkaApps/Shizuku/releases/download/v12.9.1/shizuku-v12.9.1.r859.28c5098-release.apk>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to ask about Google Play serving "API" files.

Re: Have you ever seen an "API" download from Google Play instead of APK?

<jme854Fhs6pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33958&group=comp.mobile.android#33958

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Have you ever seen an "API" download from Google Play instead of
APK?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:19:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 08:19 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Today I installed Shikuku which was an API on GP (and not an APK).
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=moe.shizuku.privileged.api>

isn't the id string effectively formed from a reversed domain name, so anyone
could create an app named ".api" within their namespace? Do you log all
downloads e.g. via a proxy, to see what's downloading what? I'd have assumed
https preventing you seeing much ...

computers / comp.mobile.android / Have you ever seen an "API" download from Google Play instead of APK?