Bringing computers into the home won't change either one, but may revitalize the corner saloon.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

SubjectAuthor
* Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Andy Burnelli
|`- Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
+- Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?David Oseas
`* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?VanguardLH
 +* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?nospam
 |`* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
 | `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?AJL
 |  +- Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Chris
 |  `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
 |   `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?AJL
 |    `- Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
 `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
  `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?VanguardLH
   `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
    `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?VanguardLH
     `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.
      `* Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?VanguardLH
       `- Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?Carlos E.R.

1
Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<cfu9ti-5q9.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33960&group=comp.mobile.android#33960

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:10:04 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:10 UTC

Hi,

there are so many apps, that I wonder if you have seen an app to keep
track of tv serials.

Say, I'm watching Breaking Bad, and I want to mark the episodes I have
watched so far. For dozens (hundreds) of serials.

I'm using a paper note pad, but hey, maybe I should modernize :-D

For example, if I'm watching Breaking Bad, the app would automatically
know how many seasons there are, and how many episodes on each;
hopefully, also the tittle. I would simply mark those I watched. Or take
notes.

It is more of a curiosity than an actual need, but it would be nice to
have it.

Of course, there could be the danger that such an app would perhaps
track me. Work as a social app. I would prefer privacy on this one.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<tdtmea$411$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33961&group=comp.mobile.android#33961

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:28:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:28 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> It is more of a curiosity than an actual need, but it would be nice to
> have it.

Hi Carlos,
I try to be purposefully helpful to people who ask a valid question here.

IMHO, what you ask for is a universal need, so it must be out there.
At its simplest form, it's just a note-taking app (hundreds exist).
However... last I tested "notes" apps, there were so many even I gave up
trying to find the best note-taking, grocery-list, checklist app.

Speaking of checklists...

The first question I'd ask you is whether you want the list of TV programs
already in the app, with an unchecked checkbox, or if you add them ad hoc.

If the app has the checklist for each series on a different tab, the use
model could be to pre-feed each tab with the TV series, and then, ad hoc,
you'd open the desired tab and search a keyword for the specific program.

Then you'd check the checkbox.
Would that work for you?

> Of course, there could be the danger that such an app would perhaps
> track me. Work as a social app. I would prefer privacy on this one.

It's a valid concern, Carlos, that of privacy.

Just keeping the data on the phone is a privacy hole of sorts, but let's
assume that's not too worrisome to you (nor would it be to me).

What we want, for privacy, IMHO, is specific things that it "should" have.

The simplest way to avoid the app tracking you is for that app to not need
the Internet in order to work and for that app to NOT require Google GSF.

The other is lack of app diagnostics, lack of automatic updates, lack of
advertising, etc., but again, these are basics that apply to all your apps.

In summary, seems to me we could find a tabbed checklist app that can be
pre-fed the movie serials from your PC (that's how I would do it) and then,
whenever you watch a specific program, you just search for it & check it
off.

Would that work for you?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case is to help Carlos find a good app to track TV serials.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<tdtohg$2csil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33962&group=comp.mobile.android#33962

From: doseas{n...@usa.net (David Oseas)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 10:03:44 -0700
 by: David Oseas - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:03 UTC

On 8/21/2022 8:10 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> there are so many apps, that I wonder if you have seen an app to keep
> track of tv serials.

The JustWatch app includes that capability in their app as well as their
website. Free registration required, but no need to pay for their
premium app/service.

Regards,

-David

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<1ah3shkqpfi2b$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33963&group=comp.mobile.android#33963

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 12:15:42 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:15 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> there are so many apps, that I wonder if you have seen an app to keep
> track of tv serials.
>
> Say, I'm watching Breaking Bad, and I want to mark the episodes I have
> watched so far. For dozens (hundreds) of serials.
>
> I'm using a paper note pad, but hey, maybe I should modernize :-D
>
> For example, if I'm watching Breaking Bad, the app would automatically
> know how many seasons there are, and how many episodes on each;
> hopefully, also the tittle. I would simply mark those I watched. Or take
> notes.
>
> It is more of a curiosity than an actual need, but it would be nice to
> have it.
>
> Of course, there could be the danger that such an app would perhaps
> track me. Work as a social app. I would prefer privacy on this one.

How about a spreadsheet. You don't need to leave rows empty for
episodes you haven't yet seen, or don't remember seeing, and can just
insert a row when needed for an episode.

Microsoft Excel
Google Sheets

While both are available as apps, you could just use bookmarks in your
web browser to use their online web apps. Then the spreadsheets would
be available anywhere you have a web browser, not just in an app on a
particular smartphone.

With MS Excel (the full desktop version, haven't tried with the mobile
app or web app versions), you can encrypt a spreadsheet with a password,
so only you can read and update it. That would make your data more
secure than relying on your login credentials to your online account. I
use MS Notebook that way: one password to login into my MS account, and
a different password for an encrypted section in a notebook. A hacker
would need to brute-force two passwords instead of just one. I also use
a unique password at each site, so they can't hack into one account, and
then try to hack in elsewhere using the same password. Whether you want
the nuisance of 2FA on your account is your choice for additional
security. My passwords are very strong, and unique to each site, so 2FA
is just a nuisance to me. The only places I use 2FA is where I'm forced
to use it, like my bank's site.

I haven't used them much for mobile use, so I'm not sure they support
multiple worksheets within a spreadsheet. If they do, you could have
one spreadsheet holding all your TV shows, and a separate worksheet
within the spreadsheet for each TV show instead of mashing them together
into one worksheet in the spreadsheet. One column for the episode
number (e.g., S2E12), another column for the episode's title, another
column for when you watched the show, another column for a description
of the show (to help you remember what it was about, so you might
remember seeing it), and so one for however many details you want to
record. You can add more columns later if you decide to add more
details.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<210820221320445400%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33964&group=comp.mobile.android#33964

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 13:20:44 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:20 UTC

In article <1ah3shkqpfi2b$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> > there are so many apps, that I wonder if you have seen an app to keep
> > track of tv serials.
> >
> > Say, I'm watching Breaking Bad, and I want to mark the episodes I have
> > watched so far. For dozens (hundreds) of serials.
> >

> How about a spreadsheet. You don't need to leave rows empty for
> episodes you haven't yet seen, or don't remember seeing, and can just
> insert a row when needed for an episode.

that's a lot of work for what various video players do automatically,
including syncing among multiple devices when any episode is played on
any device.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<r4ccti-qdj.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33970&group=comp.mobile.android#33970

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:15:39 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:15 UTC

On 2022-08-21 19:15, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> there are so many apps, that I wonder if you have seen an app to keep
>> track of tv serials.
>>
>> Say, I'm watching Breaking Bad, and I want to mark the episodes I have
>> watched so far. For dozens (hundreds) of serials.
>>
>> I'm using a paper note pad, but hey, maybe I should modernize :-D
>>
>> For example, if I'm watching Breaking Bad, the app would automatically
>> know how many seasons there are, and how many episodes on each;
>> hopefully, also the tittle. I would simply mark those I watched. Or take
>> notes.
>>
>> It is more of a curiosity than an actual need, but it would be nice to
>> have it.
>>
>> Of course, there could be the danger that such an app would perhaps
>> track me. Work as a social app. I would prefer privacy on this one.
>
> How about a spreadsheet. You don't need to leave rows empty for
> episodes you haven't yet seen, or don't remember seeing, and can just
> insert a row when needed for an episode.
>
> Microsoft Excel
> Google Sheets

I'm already using Google Sheets for other things, so this might do.
Interesting idea. I would have to pre-fill episode list using the
computer, but might work.

> While both are available as apps, you could just use bookmarks in your
> web browser to use their online web apps. Then the spreadsheets would
> be available anywhere you have a web browser, not just in an app on a
> particular smartphone.
>
> With MS Excel (the full desktop version, haven't tried with the mobile
> app or web app versions), you can encrypt a spreadsheet with a password,
> so only you can read and update it. That would make your data more
> secure than relying on your login credentials to your online account. I
> use MS Notebook that way: one password to login into my MS account, and
> a different password for an encrypted section in a notebook. A hacker
> would need to brute-force two passwords instead of just one. I also use
> a unique password at each site, so they can't hack into one account, and
> then try to hack in elsewhere using the same password. Whether you want
> the nuisance of 2FA on your account is your choice for additional
> security. My passwords are very strong, and unique to each site, so 2FA
> is just a nuisance to me. The only places I use 2FA is where I'm forced
> to use it, like my bank's site.
>
> I haven't used them much for mobile use, so I'm not sure they support
> multiple worksheets within a spreadsheet.

Google does.

> If they do, you could have
> one spreadsheet holding all your TV shows, and a separate worksheet
> within the spreadsheet for each TV show instead of mashing them together
> into one worksheet in the spreadsheet. One column for the episode
> number (e.g., S2E12), another column for the episode's title, another
> column for when you watched the show, another column for a description
> of the show (to help you remember what it was about, so you might
> remember seeing it), and so one for however many details you want to
> record. You can add more columns later if you decide to add more
> details.

It would be nice to be able to collapse the episode list.

And sort by serial name, I can not see how :-?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<9cccti-qdj.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33971&group=comp.mobile.android#33971

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:19:37 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:19 UTC

On 2022-08-21 19:20, nospam wrote:
> In article <1ah3shkqpfi2b$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
> wrote:
>
>>> there are so many apps, that I wonder if you have seen an app to keep
>>> track of tv serials.
>>>
>>> Say, I'm watching Breaking Bad, and I want to mark the episodes I have
>>> watched so far. For dozens (hundreds) of serials.
>>>

>> How about a spreadsheet. You don't need to leave rows empty for
>> episodes you haven't yet seen, or don't remember seeing, and can just
>> insert a row when needed for an episode.
>
> that's a lot of work for what various video players do automatically,
> including syncing among multiple devices when any episode is played on
> any device.

No, I'm not using a single video player. It is mostly three:

- The internet TV gadget, which can be the hardware box in the sitting
room, or a web browser on a computer, or their app on a tablet.

- Amazon Prime, usually from a tablet casting a google gadget
connected to the TV

- On the computer, either casting via network or via hdmi cable to tv.

And can be at different locations when I travel.

Thus I want an app that is independent.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<gqccti-c2k.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33972&group=comp.mobile.android#33972

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:27:12 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:27 UTC

On 2022-08-21 18:28, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> It is more of a curiosity than an actual need, but it would be nice to
>> have it.
>
> Hi Carlos,
> I try to be purposefully helpful to people who ask a valid question here.
>
> IMHO, what you ask for is a universal need, so it must be out there.
> At its simplest form, it's just a note-taking app (hundreds exist).
> However... last I tested "notes" apps, there were so many even I gave up
> trying to find the best note-taking, grocery-list, checklist app.

I noticed the notepad thread, too huge to read it. Maybe a note pad tool
would do. In the past I used notes on the computer, using one note per
serial. But I don't always have the computer at hand when watching the TV.

> Speaking of checklists...
> The first question I'd ask you is whether you want the list of TV programs
> already in the app, with an unchecked checkbox, or if you add them ad hoc.

I'd like a function to say "I start watching this new serial" and then
app then fetches the information and fills it in my copy. Having all
serials included from the start would be humongous.

> If the app has the checklist for each series on a different tab, the use
> model could be to pre-feed each tab with the TV series, and then, ad hoc,
> you'd open the desired tab and search a keyword for the specific program.
>
> Then you'd check the checkbox.
> Would that work for you?
>
>> Of course, there could be the danger that such an app would perhaps
>> track me. Work as a social app. I would prefer privacy on this one.
>
> It's a valid concern, Carlos, that of privacy.
> Just keeping the data on the phone is a privacy hole of sorts, but let's
> assume that's not too worrisome to you (nor would it be to me).
>
> What we want, for privacy, IMHO, is specific things that it "should" have.
>
> The simplest way to avoid the app tracking you is for that app to not need
> the Internet in order to work and for that app to NOT require Google GSF.

It needs internet to fetch the information from new serials. If it
doesn't need an account it means it doesn't upload the information I
fill. If it needs registration then I need to find out what it really
does, with care. The flag for suspicion is up.

> The other is lack of app diagnostics, lack of automatic updates, lack of
> advertising, etc., but again, these are basics that apply to all your apps.
>
> In summary, seems to me we could find a tabbed checklist app that can be
> pre-fed the movie serials from your PC (that's how I would do it) and then,
> whenever you watch a specific program, you just search for it & check it
> off.
>
> Would that work for you?

Dunno.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<te0cbt$2n82o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33974&group=comp.mobile.android#33974

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:54:22 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 16:54 UTC

On 8/22/2022 6:19 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-08-21 19:20, nospam wrote:

>>> How about a spreadsheet. You don't need to leave rows empty for
>>> episodes you haven't yet seen, or don't remember seeing, and
>>> can just insert a row when needed for an episode.

>> that's a lot of work for what various video players do
>> automatically, including syncing among multiple devices when any
>> episode is played on any device.

> No, I'm not using a single video player. It is mostly three:
>
> - The internet TV gadget, which can be the hardware box in the
> sitting room, or a web browser on a computer, or their app on a
> tablet.
>
> - Amazon Prime, usually from a tablet casting a google gadget
> connected to the TV

Perhaps I misunderstand what you want but for me both Prime and Netflix
keep track of all the videos (including the individual series episodes)
I have ever watched. Further they remember my progress in all the
videos/episodes.

> - On the computer, either casting via network or via hdmi cable to
> tv.

For my use Prime and Netflix work well from either a browser or an app,
using most any device.

> And can be at different locations when I travel.

All my stuff's available wherever I can get a connection. Dunno about
foreign countries though.

> Thus I want an app that is independent.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<10zigh4dj79y$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33976&group=comp.mobile.android#33976

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 17:09:43 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 22:09 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> It would be nice to be able to collapse the episode list.

Not sure what part of the spreadsheet you want to collapse. You can
find instructions at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+sheet+collapse

> And sort by serial name, I can not see how :-?

Doesn't clicking on the header column sort by that column? If not,
perhaps you have to select a column to get sort options on it.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3540681?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

How to do it using a web browser is probably under the "Computer" group.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<te1un3$2ubjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33980&group=comp.mobile.android#33980

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 07:13:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rRDltonP/D+iWHu8nffJZ0ZLNLA=
 by: Chris - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 07:13 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
> On 8/22/2022 6:19 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-08-21 19:20, nospam wrote:

>>> that's a lot of work for what various video players do
>>> automatically, including syncing among multiple devices when any
>>> episode is played on any device.
>
>> No, I'm not using a single video player. It is mostly three:
>>
>> - The internet TV gadget, which can be the hardware box in the
>> sitting room, or a web browser on a computer, or their app on a
>> tablet.
>>
>> - Amazon Prime, usually from a tablet casting a google gadget
>> connected to the TV
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand what you want but for me both Prime and Netflix
> keep track of all the videos (including the individual series episodes)
> I have ever watched. Further they remember my progress in all the
> videos/episodes.

That's my experience also. I normally dip in and out of 3-4 series at a
time so I would really struggle without it.

Maybe Carlos is using a third party provider?

>> - On the computer, either casting via network or via hdmi cable to
>> tv.
>
> For my use Prime and Netflix work well from either a browser or an app,
> using most any device.
>
>> And can be at different locations when I travel.
>
> All my stuff's available wherever I can get a connection. Dunno about
> foreign countries though.

Mostly fine although some programmes are region locked so you may need to
use a VPN.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<mpjfti-jjm.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33985&group=comp.mobile.android#33985

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:44:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:44 UTC

On 2022-08-22 18:54, AJL wrote:
> On 8/22/2022 6:19 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-08-21 19:20, nospam wrote:

>>> that's a lot of work for what various video players do
>>> automatically, including syncing among multiple devices when any
>>> episode is played on any device.
>
>> No, I'm not using a single video player. It is mostly three:
>>
>> - The internet TV gadget, which can be the hardware box in the
>> sitting room, or a web browser on a computer, or their app on a
>> tablet.
>>
>> - Amazon Prime, usually from a tablet casting a google gadget
>> connected to the TV
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand what you want but for me both Prime and Netflix
> keep track of all the videos (including the individual series episodes)
> I have ever watched. Further they remember my progress in all the
> videos/episodes.

A series can stop being available in one platform, be removed (so I no
longer can see what episode I was at) and sometime later appear on
another platform. Or I may get the files via a friend.

That, and I may be watching not a single series, but more than a dozen
or two. Each time I sit I decide which one I want to continue watching
this day and hour. And instead of the next episode, I may switch to a
different series the same night. Thus, it takes me long to finish any
series.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<te3das$330rq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33989&group=comp.mobile.android#33989

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:29:15 -0700
 by: AJL - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:29 UTC

On 8/23/2022 11:44 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-08-22 18:54, AJL wrote:

>> Perhaps I misunderstand what you want but for me both Prime and
>> Netflix keep track of all the videos (including the individual
>> series episodes) I have ever watched. Further they remember my
>> progress in all the videos/episodes.

> A series can stop being available in one platform, be removed (so I
> no longer can see what episode I was at) and sometime later appear
> on another platform. Or I may get the files via a friend. That, and I
> may be watching not a single series, but more than a dozen or two.
> Each time I sit I decide which one I want to continue watching this
> day and hour. And instead of the next episode, I may switch to a
> different series the same night. Thus, it takes me long to finish
> any series.

Ah. Makes sense. I kinda do the same with books. I've kept a text list
(by author) of the books that I've read for the past 50 or so years so
that I wouldn't buy the same one twice. (Though with the current
condition of my memory it would be like reading a new one anyway.) I
started on paper and later graduated to a computer using a text app.
Nowadays I use (what else?) Google. I keep a PERMANENT Gmail draft of
the book list. That way it's easy to edit or view and always current on
any of my devices. (I also use the permanent draft idea for other stuff
like birthdays, addresses, etc.) Course as in everything computer it's
always wise to keep an offline backup...

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<h4ihti-11v.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33990&group=comp.mobile.android#33990

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:28:33 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:28 UTC

On 2022-08-23 22:29, AJL wrote:
> On 8/23/2022 11:44 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-08-22 18:54, AJL wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps I misunderstand what you want but for me both Prime and
>>> Netflix keep track of all the videos (including the individual
>>> series episodes) I have ever watched. Further they remember my
>>> progress in all the videos/episodes.
>

>> A series can stop being available in one platform, be removed (so I
>> no longer can see what episode I was at) and sometime later appear
>> on another platform. Or I may get the files via a friend. That, and I
>> may be watching not a single series, but more than a dozen or two.
>> Each time I sit I decide which one I want to continue watching this
>> day and hour. And instead of the next episode, I may switch to a
>> different series the same night. Thus, it takes me long to finish
>> any series.
>
> Ah. Makes sense. I kinda do the same with books. I've kept a text list
> (by author) of the books that I've read for the past 50 or so years so
> that I wouldn't buy the same one twice.

Yes, I do that too. I actually bought the same book twice before
creating the list.

> (Though with the current
> condition of my memory it would be like reading a new one anyway.)

:-)

> started on paper and later graduated to a computer using a text app.
> Nowadays I use (what else?) Google. I keep a PERMANENT Gmail draft of
> the book list. That way it's easy to edit or view and always current on
> any of my devices. (I also use the permanent draft idea for other stuff
> like birthdays, addresses, etc.) Course as in everything computer it's
> always wise to keep an offline backup...

My book list is a mysql database accessed using Rekall, but at some
point I copied it a google calc sheet, to have access to it on the phone.

I have a pending task to migrate the database to a Libre Office Calc
sheet instead, because Rekall is not maintained any longer and will stop
working one of these days.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<kpihti-emv.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33991&group=comp.mobile.android#33991

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:39:48 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:39 UTC

On 2022-08-23 00:09, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It would be nice to be able to collapse the episode list.
>
> Not sure what part of the spreadsheet you want to collapse. You can
> find instructions at:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=google+sheet+collapse

A B C
Dexter
Season 1
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12
Season 2
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12
Season 8
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12
Breaking Bad
Season 1
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 7
Season 2
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12
Season 5
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 16

Collapsed view:

Dexter
Breaking Bad

Or:

Dexter
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
Season 8
Breaking Bad
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5

>> And sort by serial name, I can not see how :-?
>
> Doesn't clicking on the header column sort by that column? If not,
> perhaps you have to select a column to get sort options on it.

Not with the scheme as above, only line per episode. I can not sort and get:

Breaking Bad
Season 1
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 7
Season 2
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12
Season 5
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 16
Dexter
Season 1
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12
Season 2
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12
Season 8
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 12

> https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3540681?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
>
> How to do it using a web browser is probably under the "Computer" group.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<1etlfzluu71b0.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33992&group=comp.mobile.android#33992

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:04:22 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 17:04 UTC

> [...]

> Episode 12
> Breaking Bad
> Season 1
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 7
> Season 2
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 12
> Season 5
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 16
>
> Collapsed view:
>
> Dexter
> Breaking Bad
>
> Or:
>
> Dexter
> Season 1
> Season 2
> Season 3
> Season 4
> Season 5
> Season 6
> Season 7
> Season 8
> Breaking Bad
> Season 1
> Season 2
> Season 3
> Season 4
> Season 5
>

>>> And sort by serial name, I can not see how :-?
>>
>> Doesn't clicking on the header column sort by that column? If not,
>> perhaps you have to select a column to get sort options on it.
>
> Not with the scheme as above, only line per episode. I can not sort
> and get:
>
> Breaking Bad
> Season 1
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 7
> Season 2
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 12
> Season 5
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 16
> Dexter
> Season 1
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 12
> Season 2
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 12
> Season 8
> Episode 1
> Episode 2
> Episode 3
> Episode 12
>

>> https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3540681?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
>>
>> How to do it using a web browser is probably under the "Computer" group.

Not sure why you would enter them out of order then have to sort them
later. You'd enter Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, and Episode 12 with
no blank rows between. When you get around to watching Episode 7, you
just select the row with Episode 3, and add a new row following it, or
select the row with Episode 12, and add a new row before it.

I'd probably not bother with subgrouping episodes under season. Just
name them how you find them listed in the description of a show, as in
"S<x>/E<y>", like S2/E1, S2/E2, S2/E3, and so on. Then select all the
entries under a show, and then choose to sort on your selection; i.e.,
sort on the rows you select. If you insist on subgrouping each season,
you'll have to select the episode rows under a subgroup, and sort on
that selection. Of course, if you enter the rows in order, and insert
rows when you watch a new episode, the list stays sorted.

As I mentioned, instead of mashing all the shows together into one
spreadsheet, put each show in its own worksheet. Breaking Bad would be
one spreadsheet, Dexter would be another worksheet, and both are within
the same spreadsheet.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<8v4kti-ncf.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33997&group=comp.mobile.android#33997

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 14:02:16 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 12:02 UTC

On 2022-08-24 19:04, VanguardLH wrote:
> [...]
> select the row with Episode 12, and add a new row before it.
>
> I'd probably not bother with subgrouping episodes under season. Just
> name them how you find them listed in the description of a show, as in
> "S<x>/E<y>", like S2/E1, S2/E2, S2/E3, and so on. Then select all the
> entries under a show, and then choose to sort on your selection; i.e.,
> sort on the rows you select. If you insist on subgrouping each season,
> you'll have to select the episode rows under a subgroup, and sort on
> that selection. Of course, if you enter the rows in order, and insert
> rows when you watch a new episode, the list stays sorted.
>
> As I mentioned, instead of mashing all the shows together into one
> spreadsheet, put each show in its own worksheet. Breaking Bad would be
> one spreadsheet, Dexter would be another worksheet, and both are within

In that case, I prefer a hierarchical note taking app. One note per serial.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<w0ygmwnd1w2r.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34005&group=comp.mobile.android#34005

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:05:46 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 18:05 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> I prefer a hierarchical note taking app. One note per serial.

A spreadsheet is hierarchical (spreadsheet, worksheet, collapsible
sections), but you want a flattened list showing a tree structure.

I use Microsoft OneNote, and it has some hierarchical structure:
notebook, section, page. Even MS Word has its Outline mode. You name
the notebook for the show name, a section for the series, and each page
is an episode. Alas, OneNote does not have sorting, so the sort order
is what you make it when adding new pages or section within a notebook.
Not a problem when you add a new section or page, because you decide
where to add it, but a problem if you create a mess over a long time and
have to clean it up afterward. OneNote is more like organizing a book:
book, chapter, page. Sorting on chapter names is almost guaranteed to
result in a mess in the order of chapters in a book. Create a new page
in a section, and drag it where you want it positioned amongst the other
pages. Same when creating a new section in a notebook. Incremental
organizing means not having to exhaust yourself with Spring cleaning.
Also, while you don't want to create separate worksheets in a
spreadsheet, a notebook is the equivalent of a worksheet: you have to
switch between notebooks to see what's inside each just like clicking on
the worksheet tab to switch between shows.

What you might want is a simple outliner app. A search on "outliner" at
Google Play shows several candidates. There are online articles about
some, like:

https://zapier.com/blog/best-outline-software/

Obviously any "best" list is skewed by the author's biases. Some
outliners aren't mentioned, like:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.ff.outliner&hl=en_US&gl=US

Unlike how many articles describe MS OneNote, I have it configured to
show notebooks veritically in the leftmost pane, sections of a selected
notebook in the next pane, pages of the selected section in the next
pane, and the page content in the next (rightmost) pane. OneNote can
sync to a Microsoft account into the OneDrive service. I have some
sections in my notebooks that have sensitive information, so I can
encrypt those. I use a different password used in OneNote than for my
MS account login, so a hacker that got past my account login (which is
unique to each site where I login, so a login cannot be reused
elsewhere) would still have to get past the notebook's section password
to get at the pages therein for sensitive data. OneNote has versions
for web, Windows, Android, and iOS, so I can pretty much get at my notes
no matter what platform I'm using, and the web UI grants me access
anywhere I can use a web browser. If you look at using a different
outliner and plan to have access via web to your notes, make sure the
app or service lets you encrypt your data. You don't want just your
login credentials for your online account to be between the hacker and
your sensitive data, especially if you reuse the same login credentials
across multiple sites. A TV show list wouldn't be considered sensitive
data, but you might like the sync'ing outliner enough to use for other
purposes.

The basic function of all outliners is to provide a tree list of
entries. How deep is the tree depth and how far you can flesh out from
there depends on the robustness of the app, and what audience it
targets. Sorry, I haven't bothered searching for apps that track TV
shows that I've watched by show name, season, and episode, but then I'd
just use a spreadsheet for that. If I wanted a tree list hierarchy, I'd
use OneNote. If I wanted more than 3 levels in the tree list, I'd have
to research a solution. However, the more features I wanted then the
more likely an Android app won't suffice, or I'd have to pay for a Pro
version of the app. Android (and Windows apps) are not as robust as
desktop programs.

Not sure you just want a tree list of watched shows, or you want lots of
other features that link outside of the app, like finding your shows,
enumerating all the episodes in all seasons, and other "lookup"
services. Another poster mentioned JustWatch which is far more than
just a tree list. You can find similar reviews online, like:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/5-apps-to-keep-track-of-all-your-favorite-shows/

That mentiones JustWatch, but also notes some caveats about using them
regarding privacy (and using your data to tailor what ads to show you).
If the service is free, you are their product. They have to make money
somehow to provide you a free service.

Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?

<4rrkti-uhq.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34007&group=comp.mobile.android#34007

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 20:32:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 18:32 UTC

On 2022-08-25 20:05, VanguardLH wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I prefer a hierarchical note taking app. One note per serial.
>
> A spreadsheet is hierarchical (spreadsheet, worksheet, collapsible
> sections), but you want a flattened list showing a tree structure.
>
> I use Microsoft OneNote, and it has some hierarchical structure:
> notebook, section, page. Even MS Word has its Outline mode. You name
> the notebook for the show name, a section for the series, and each page
> is an episode. Alas, OneNote does not have sorting, so the sort order
> is what you make it when adding new pages or section within a notebook.
> Not a problem when you add a new section or page, because you decide
> where to add it, but a problem if you create a mess over a long time and
> have to clean it up afterward. OneNote is more like organizing a book:
> book, chapter, page. Sorting on chapter names is almost guaranteed to
> result in a mess in the order of chapters in a book. Create a new page
> in a section, and drag it where you want it positioned amongst the other
> pages. Same when creating a new section in a notebook. Incremental
> organizing means not having to exhaust yourself with Spring cleaning.
> Also, while you don't want to create separate worksheets in a
> spreadsheet, a notebook is the equivalent of a worksheet: you have to
> switch between notebooks to see what's inside each just like clicking on
> the worksheet tab to switch between shows.

I was starting to look at Joplin.

> What you might want is a simple outliner app. A search on "outliner" at
> Google Play shows several candidates. There are online articles about
> some, like:

Ah. I did not know that name, did not occur to me, thanks.

> [...]
> more likely an Android app won't suffice, or I'd have to pay for a Pro
> version of the app. Android (and Windows apps) are not as robust as
> desktop programs.
>
> Not sure you just want a tree list of watched shows, or you want lots of
> other features that link outside of the app, like finding your shows,
> enumerating all the episodes in all seasons, and other "lookup"
> services. Another poster mentioned JustWatch which is far more than
> just a tree list. You can find similar reviews online, like:
>
> https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/5-apps-to-keep-track-of-all-your-favorite-shows/
>
> That mentiones JustWatch, but also notes some caveats about using them
> regarding privacy (and using your data to tailor what ads to show you).
> If the service is free, you are their product. They have to make money

Thanks for all that info :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Do you know of an app for keeping track of watched tv serials?