From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Enable the O+ notification sound
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 00:03:51 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 04:03 UTC

What does "Enable the O+ notification sound" mean?

IIt's an obtion in Network Cell Info.

What does "Enable the Service-State change notification sound" mean?

What is Service-State?

Re: Enable the O+ notification sound

<czuf4dzohdsv.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34174&group=comp.mobile.android#34174

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Enable the O+ notification sound
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 01:29:26 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 06:29 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> App: Network Cell Info
>
> What does "Enable the O+ notification sound" mean?

Android O = Android Oreo = Android 8.0
O+ = Oreo, and later (Android 8.0, 8.1, 9.x, 10.x, ...)

https://developer.android.com/develop/ui/views/notifications/channels
(found using https://www.google.com/search?q=android+o+notification)

> What does "Enable the Service-State change notification sound" mean?

For the manual on the app, go to the app's page in the Play Store, and
click on the right arrow for "About this app". Partway down is a link
to the manual. Alternatively, in the app, go to Settings -> About to
see the link to the manual. You said earlier the URL was incomplete.
Worked for me to open in Firefox (default).

When I read the online manual, and got to the Settings -> Notifications
screen, the descriptions were:

Enable/Disable the Android O+ notification sound
No description whatsoever. Guess they figures their users just must
know this, or they never got back to fleshing out their manual. Might
be related to the above developer doc.

Enable/Disable the Network-change Sound notifications
There is Sound notification when the Cell ID changes, and different
sound notification when the Wireless System Type changes; e.g., from
UMTS to LTE.

Phones can have different cellular technologies. Cell towers have
different IDs for each. In the Map tab, tap on the tower to which you
are currently connected, and the tower ID and its coordinates are shown.
No, they don't tell you in their help to tap on the tower in the Map
tab. A lot you have to guess by playing around tapping various places.
Way too many apps are like this. No menu? Try dragging from the app's
left or right side. Apps are rife with missing or incomplete
documentation. Developers don't like writing manuals.

Enable/Disable the Service-State change sound notification
There is a Sound notification if the Service-State changes.

My guess is the app has a service which allows it to continue running in
the background. If you want to exit the app, you have to use the Power
button (circle with vertical bar) at the top of the app's screen. I
went into Developer Options (had it added long ago), and tapped on
Running Services. Nothing under Running Service. Clicked on Show
Cached Services, and saw Network Cell Info. A cached service (aka
cached background process) is not currently running, has no foreground
activity, but kept in memory if there is room to allow quick switching
back to the process.

Cell data for this app is crowdsourced. It gets an accuracy rating of
around 70% from https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/cell-tower-mapping.

Re: Enable the O+ notification sound

<el9chh5pe9p6438dra2ohcoolrls9is84j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34190&group=comp.mobile.android#34190

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 12:49:33 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 16:49 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 3 Sep 2022 01:29:26 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> App: Network Cell Info
>>
>> What does "Enable the O+ notification sound" mean?
>
>Android O = Android Oreo = Android 8.0
>O+ = Oreo, and later (Android 8.0, 8.1, 9.x, 10.x, ...)

Aha, Oreo. It would be easier for me if they just said 8.

>https://developer.android.com/develop/ui/views/notifications/channels
>(found using https://www.google.com/search?q=android+o+notification)
>
>> What does "Enable the Service-State change notification sound" mean?
>
>For the manual on the app, go to the app's page in the Play Store, and
>click on the right arrow for "About this app". Partway down is a link
>to the manual. Alternatively, in the app, go to Settings -> About to
>see the link to the manual. You said earlier the URL was incomplete.
>Worked for me to open in Firefox (default).
>
>When I read the online manual, and got to the Settings -> Notifications
>screen, the descriptions were:
>
>Enable/Disable the Android O+ notification sound
> No description whatsoever. Guess they figures their users just must
> know this, or they never got back to fleshing out their manual. Might
> be related to the above developer doc.

Alas.

>Enable/Disable the Network-change Sound notifications
> There is Sound notification when the Cell ID changes, and different
> sound notification when the Wireless System Type changes; e.g., from
> UMTS to LTE.
>
>Phones can have different cellular technologies. Cell towers have
>different IDs for each. In the Map tab, tap on the tower to which you
>are currently connected, and the tower ID and its coordinates are shown.
>No, they don't tell you in their help to tap on the tower in the Map
>tab. A lot you have to guess by playing around tapping various places.
>Way too many apps are like this. No menu? Try dragging from the app's
>left or right side. Apps are rife with missing or incomplete
>documentation. Developers don't like writing manuals.

Well, Mint Mobile said they would stop using 3G on July 1, and my phone
doesn't have 5G, so that only leaves 4G, most of which is LTE, but I
don't care about that . what I would have liked is a sound when it goes
from no decent signal to a good one. Or maybe a different sound when it
changes bands. OTOH I only paid $3 iirc and one can't expect miracles
for $3.

>Enable/Disable the Service-State change sound notification
> There is a Sound notification if the Service-State changes.
>
>My guess is the app has a service which allows it to continue running in
>the background. If you want to exit the app, you have to use the Power
>button (circle with vertical bar) at the top of the app's screen. I
>went into Developer Options (had it added long ago), and tapped on
>Running Services. Nothing under Running Service. Clicked on Show
>Cached Services, and saw Network Cell Info. A cached service (aka
>cached background process) is not currently running, has no foreground
>activity, but kept in memory if there is room to allow quick switching
>back to the process.

Good to know. Thanks.

>Cell data for this app is crowdsourced. It gets an accuracy rating of
>around 70% from https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/cell-tower-mapping.

I went out looking for the cell tower a mile or two from here that I've
already been to and found listed online, but I looked on only one of two
possible roads and didn't find. it. Then I looked at the two cell
towers a quarter mile away. One was Verizon and the other was some
subcontractor, but I didn't look them up online because I know the
listing won't say what bands they transmit on. That relates to my
question about bands 4 vs. 41. I'll explain more later.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Enable the O+ notification sound