The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

computers / comp.mobile.android / Concatenating videos, etc.

SubjectAuthor
* Concatenating videos, etc.micky
+- Re: Concatenating videos, etc.micky
`* Re: Concatenating videos, etc.David Taylor
 `* Re: Concatenating videos, etc.micky
  `* Re: Concatenating videos, etc.David Taylor
   `* Re: Concatenating videos, etc.micky
    +* Re: Concatenating videos, etc.NY
    |`- Re: Concatenating videos, etc.micky
    `* Re: Concatenating videos, etc.Frank Slootweg
     `- Re: Concatenating videos, etc.micky

1
Concatenating videos, etc.

<8pfthhlq3j7lpa9grn15f5uo75tm2h1hoo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34227&group=comp.mobile.android#34227

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Concatenating videos, etc.
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 01:16:05 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 05:16 UTC

Concatenating videos, etc.

Is there a way, within android, to concatenate short videos?

Or in a PC?

This is a Samsung Galaxy A30 iirc and I'm using the included camera and
paused the recording, but then I turned off the screen, and when I lit
the screen up again, the pause button was gone, only the record button
was there, and unfortunately what I hoped would be one 20 minute video
is now 4 shorter ones.

Also, I neveer noticed this befoer, but the time counter when I was
taking a video says 10:02/46:20. Does that mean all my storage will be
full if I record 46-10 more minutes? I thought I had a lot more space
than that, so maybw it's not including all my storage space? (No time
to check right now.) Is this new? (I guess most of my videos have been
under 2 minutes, except one was of a parade and I had to hold the phone
over my head most of the time. Today I was sitting down and holding the
phone in front of my face.)

TIA

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<5asthhd1ei28516kff1vofa0m39gc2r96r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34228&group=comp.mobile.android#34228

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Concatenating videos, etc.
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 04:44:41 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:44 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 01:16:05 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Concatenating videos, etc.
>
>Is there a way, within android, to concatenate short videos?
>
>Or in a PC?
>
>This is a Samsung Galaxy A30 iirc and I'm using the included camera and
>paused the recording, but then I turned off the screen, and when I lit
>the screen up again, the pause button was gone, only the record button
>was there, and unfortunately what I hoped would be one 20 minute video
>is now 4 shorter ones.

I think I figured it out, using VLC (havn't done it yet but it shoudl
work.) Still posted this because of the warnilng in the paragraph
abvoe.

>Also, I neveer noticed this befoer, but the time counter when I was
>taking a video says 10:02/46:20. Does that mean all my storage will be
>full if I record 46-10 more minutes? I thought I had a lot more space
>than that, so maybw it's not including all my storage space? (No time
>to check right now.) Is this new? (I guess most of my videos have been
>under 2 minutes, except one was of a parade and I had to hold the phone
>over my head most of the time. Today I was sitting down and holding the
>phone in front of my face.)
>
>TIA

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<tfnjtj$26a45$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34229&group=comp.mobile.android#34229

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:40:35 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:40 UTC

On 12/09/2022 06:16, micky wrote:
> Concatenating videos, etc.
>
> Is there a way, within android, to concatenate short videos?
>
> Or in a PC?

IIRC the Windows Photos app can do simply video editing - perhaps concatenation
too. Yes, I know it says "photos"!

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<r0nuhhdtf4j4q20rkb7nhtl3rtgp7o8l1v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34230&group=comp.mobile.android#34230

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:47:18 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:47 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:40:35 +0100, David Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/09/2022 06:16, micky wrote:
>> Concatenating videos, etc.
>>
>> Is there a way, within android, to concatenate short videos?
>>
>> Or in a PC?
>
>IIRC the Windows Photos app can do simply video editing - perhaps concatenation
>too. Yes, I know it says "photos"!

I'll try that too. Last night I emailed all 5 clips to my PC. It
totalled about 2 gigs. I don't know if that's permitted or not. K-9
showed spinning circles for 3 out of 5 up to 3 or 4 minutes (the first
two were shorter finished too quickly for me to notice) as the the email
was put together. Then I clicked Send and got a spinning circle for a
minute or two, but then the whole email disappeared.

It's not in drafts, outbox, or sent! What is the difference between
outbox and sent?? Google said Sent meant it had been received by the
addressee, but I don't think any email program knows that.

And strangely, K-9 has no number next to the Sent, but when I tap on it,
t here are 3 emails there. That's not good.

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<tfnrl2$26a45$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34231&group=comp.mobile.android#34231

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:52:34 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:52 UTC

On 12/09/2022 17:47, micky wrote:
> I'll try that too. Last night I emailed all 5 clips to my PC. It
> totalled about 2 gigs. I don't know if that's permitted or not. K-9
> showed spinning circles for 3 out of 5 up to 3 or 4 minutes (the first
> two were shorter finished too quickly for me to notice) as the the email
> was put together. Then I clicked Send and got a spinning circle for a
> minute or two, but then the whole email disappeared.
>

> It's not in drafts, outbox, or sent! What is the difference between
> outbox and sent?? Google said Sent meant it had been received by the
> addressee, but I don't think any email program knows that.
>

> And strangely, K-9 has no number next to the Sent, but when I tap on it,
> t here are 3 emails there. That's not good.

2 GB total sounds a lot. I know nothing about K-9.

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<552vhhds488rcufn7gldka1f93sekcg3dq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34233&group=comp.mobile.android#34233

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:33:41 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:33 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:52:34 +0100, David Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/09/2022 17:47, micky wrote:
>> I'll try that too. Last night I emailed all 5 clips to my PC. It
>> totalled about 2 gigs. I don't know if that's permitted or not. K-9
>> showed spinning circles for 3 out of 5 up to 3 or 4 minutes (the first
>> two were shorter finished too quickly for me to notice) as the the email
>> was put together. Then I clicked Send and got a spinning circle for a
>> minute or two, but then the whole email disappeared.
>>

>> It's not in drafts, outbox, or sent! What is the difference between
>> outbox and sent?? Google said Sent meant it had been received by the
>> addressee, but I don't think any email program knows that.
>>

>> And strangely, K-9 has no number next to the Sent, but when I tap on it,
>> t here are 3 emails there. That's not good.
>
>2 GB total sounds a lot. I know nothing about K-9.

I guess I'll send t hem one clip at a time. Even then, one is over a
gig and might not work.

I don't mind that it didn't work, but it bothers me that the whole email
just disappeared!

Or maybe I'll use MyPhoneExplorer, with a USB cable. That will almost
surely work. I love MyPhoneExplorer. I even sent him money!

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<tfo2c5$2b62d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34234&group=comp.mobile.android#34234

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:47:29 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:47 UTC

"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:52:34 +0100, David Taylor
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 12/09/2022 17:47, micky wrote:
>>> I'll try that too. Last night I emailed all 5 clips to my PC. It
>>> totalled about 2 gigs. I don't know if that's permitted or not.

Most ISPs' servers will reject email messages that are too large. My ISP
will accept up to about 30 MB email size (which is about 10-15 MB of
attachments before encoding into printable characters that will pass through
the email system and which will eventually be decoded to the binary
attachment). 2 GB is vastly in excess of the largest size that email servers
will accept: if the SMTP server that your phone sends to doesn't immediately
reject the email, then it almost certainly will be (silently) deleted by one
of the intermediate servers before it reaches the recipient's POP server.

I would not use email to send video clips unless they are so short, so
low-res and so compressed that they are shorter than about 10 MB.

Instead you need to find some webspace where you can upload them (eg by FTP)
and then send the URL for that webspace in the email. There are sites such
as sendspace which exist specifically for doing this: the uploaded files may
not stay there for more than a few days before being automatically deleted,
but it should be long enough to share the files with other people/computers.

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<tfqecg.4g4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34241&group=comp.mobile.android#34241

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 13 Sep 2022 15:24:44 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 15:24 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
[...]
> I guess I'll send t hem one clip at a time. Even then, one is over a
> gig and might not work.
>
> I don't mind that it didn't work, but it bothers me that the whole email
> just disappeared!
>
> Or maybe I'll use MyPhoneExplorer, with a USB cable. That will almost
> surely work. I love MyPhoneExplorer. I even sent him money!

If you're going to use a USB cable, then why not just copy-and-paste
(or cut-and-paste) the files from within (Windows) File Explorer?

Yes, MyPhoneExplorer is a nice program, but for this simple task it's
not needed and (IMO) an overkill.

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<agb4ih5ngnv7b7abu2dbqqa1al4636hd92@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34246&group=comp.mobile.android#34246

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:45:41 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:45 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:47:29 +0100, "NY"
<me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>"micky" <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in message
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:52:34 +0100, David Taylor
>> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Most ISPs' servers will reject email messages that are too large. My ISP
>will accept up to about 30 MB email size (which is about 10-15 MB of
>attachments before encoding into printable characters that will pass through
>the email system and which will eventually be decoded to the binary
>attachment). 2 GB is vastly in excess of the largest size that email servers
>will accept: if the SMTP server that your phone sends to doesn't immediately
>reject the email, then it almost certainly will be (silently) deleted by one
>of the intermediate servers before it reaches the recipient's POP server.
>
>I would not use email to send video clips unless they are so short, so
>low-res and so compressed that they are shorter than about 10 MB.

Wow. IIRC that was the limit 10 years ago. I figured it would have
gone up by now.

>Instead you need to find some webspace where you can upload them (eg by FTP)
>and then send the URL for that webspace in the email. There are sites such
>as sendspace which exist specifically for doing this: the uploaded files may
>not stay there for more than a few days before being automatically deleted,
>but it should be long enough to share the files with other people/computers.

Yeah, that would be good, because I was just a guest at this concert and
I don't have the right to post it. Next time I will look for one of
those. But this time I ended up sending 2 of the smaller ones with
Whatsapp. Nothing was concatenated, but considering each piece was too
big, I'm lucky it got sent. The two I sent were between 3 and 3.5
minutes long, about 260Megs, and whatsapp didn't complain at all, and
maybe I coudl have done the bigger ones, but this is enough for a friend
who couldn't get to the concert, but just wanted a glimpse of a young
friend of mine.

Re: Concatenating videos, etc.

<8rb4ihhafn4sfnf691dhnnu4fslim9htgn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34247&group=comp.mobile.android#34247

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:50:23 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:50 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on 13 Sep 2022 15:24:44 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>[...]
>> I guess I'll send t hem one clip at a time. Even then, one is over a
>> gig and might not work.
>>
>> I don't mind that it didn't work, but it bothers me that the whole email
>> just disappeared!
>>
>> Or maybe I'll use MyPhoneExplorer, with a USB cable. That will almost
>> surely work. I love MyPhoneExplorer. I even sent him money!
>
> If you're going to use a USB cable, then why not just copy-and-paste
>(or cut-and-paste) the files from within (Windows) File Explorer?

I didn't realize you could do that. I'll try it soon.

I don't have to this time anymore because I sent 2 clips to one friend.
I was going to send all 4 clips to 4 friends, and I find doing things on
the PC so much easier than the phoen, and I have a record all in one
place what I've done. But only one of the four friends had asked for
this and now she has part of it.

The whole concert was an hour, I only recorded 15 minutes and I only
sent out 7, but that's plenty.

> Yes, MyPhoneExplorer is a nice program, but for this simple task it's
>not needed and (IMO) an overkill.

I also like MPExplorer for sending texts. I hate typing on that little
keyboard. (The first phone was so small I couldn't even hit the key
was trying to tap. It's better now, but still. )

computers / comp.mobile.android / Concatenating videos, etc.