If you can't understand it, it is intuitively obvious.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

SubjectAuthor
* Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementThe Real Bev
+* Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementDavid Taylor
|+* Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementAndy Burns
||+* Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementDavid Taylor
|||+- Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementAndy Burns
|||`- Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementThe Real Bev
||`* Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementThe Real Bev
|| `- Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementAndy Burns
|`- Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementThe Real Bev
`* Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacements|b
 `- Re: Pixel 2 Battery ReplacementThe Real Bev

1
Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<thas09$1j8vg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34393&group=comp.mobile.android#34393

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:11:18 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 02:11 UTC

It drops to 60% from 100% in 8 hours when it's OFF. Much faster if it's
just on and even faster if I'm actually using it. I'm THINKING about
replacing the battery, but I looked at the youtube video and decided I'm
too clumsy to do it myself.

Local places charge $80 to do it. I like the phone and don't want to
replace it with a newer and much more expensive one, so $80 isn't an
out-of-range price. BUT (a) will a brand-new battery make me as happy
as I was when I got the phone? (2) And how do I find a reliable fixer?
Lots of local possibilities (I don't want to mail it anywhere), but how
do you recognize the losers? I assume that the obvious losers are
obvious...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Everything sucks; reverse the wires and everything will blow."

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<thbg3d$1k2ls$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34395&group=comp.mobile.android#34395

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 08:54:20 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 07:54 UTC

On 02/10/2022 03:11, The Real Bev wrote:
> It drops to 60% from 100% in 8 hours when it's OFF. Much faster if it's
> just on and even faster if I'm actually using it. I'm THINKING about
> replacing the battery, but I looked at the youtube video and decided I'm
> too clumsy to do it myself.
>
> Local places charge $80 to do it. I like the phone and don't want to
> replace it with a newer and much more expensive one, so $80 isn't an
> out-of-range price. BUT (a) will a brand-new battery make me as happy
> as I was when I got the phone? (2) And how do I find a reliable fixer?
> Lots of local possibilities (I don't want to mail it anywhere), but how
> do you recognize the losers? I assume that the obvious losers are
> obvious...

Bev,

Knowing your interest in photography, I would suggest - in a couple of month's
time - looking at least years models. The new models are due out very soon, so
the older will becone reduced (I hope!). I'm thinking 6A, or 6 Pro with the
telephoto camera. Removes a lot of uncertainties about 3rd party outfits and
old batteries. Google offer trade-in as well.

Yes, you'll probably decide against but do take a look.

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<jpt2m5F1qv4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34396&group=comp.mobile.android#34396

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:07:15 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 09:07 UTC

David Taylor wrote:

> Knowing your interest in photography, I would suggest - in a couple of month's
> time - looking at least years models.

When my pixel3 went EOL, I decided the camera bulge on the Pixel6 and newer
phones was too fugly, so I grey-imported a pixel5a, it regularly shows 3+ days
of battery life, retains rear fingerprint and 3.5mm jack, minor downside is the
inexorable increase in screen size.

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<thbmqh$1k2ls$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34397&group=comp.mobile.android#34397

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:49:05 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 09:49 UTC

On 02/10/2022 10:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> When my pixel3 went EOL, I decided the camera bulge on the Pixel6 and newer
> phones was too fugly, so I grey-imported a pixel5a, it regularly shows 3+ days
> of battery life, retains rear fingerprint and 3.5mm jack, minor downside is the
> inexorable increase in screen size.

I hope that Bev can do something similar.

For me, the telephoto camera on the 6 Pro was the deciding factor, and having
the phone always with me, and not always having any other camera, was the
deciding factor. Yes, the other cameras I have (Panasonic GX7 & TZ200) can
produce better quality images, but they are used far less. Pixel 6 Pro Battery
life is excellent and connecting headphones or ear-buds with Bluetooth is no
problem.
--
Cheers,
David

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<jptebrF3jfkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34402&group=comp.mobile.android#34402

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 13:26:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 12:26 UTC

David Taylor wrote:

> connecting headphones or ear-buds with Bluetooth is no problem.

I do now have the pixel buds pro, but not at the time I bought the pixel 5a.

The ear buds sound good to me both for music and phone/teams calls, but I get
the odd comment from other people that they make my voice sound like I've got a
cold ...

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<jpttqeF5rhlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34406&group=comp.mobile.android#34406

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 18:50:29 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:50 UTC

On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:11:18 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> I'm THINKING about
> replacing the battery, but I looked at the youtube video and decided I'm
> too clumsy to do it myself.

I just disassembled a Samsung Galaxy 2 watch and put it back together
again. You can do it.

Although I'm not going to lie. Difficulty for the watch is set to
'average' while the Pixel 2 says 'difficult'.

<https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+2+Battery+Replacement/103334?pk_vid=548b7ed3ff189ff416647293475a0144>

--
s|b

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<thcpph$1q9ls$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34409&group=comp.mobile.android#34409

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 12:45:51 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 19:45 UTC

On 10/2/22 12:54 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 02/10/2022 03:11, The Real Bev wrote:
>> It drops to 60% from 100% in 8 hours when it's OFF. Much faster if it's
>> just on and even faster if I'm actually using it. I'm THINKING about
>> replacing the battery, but I looked at the youtube video and decided I'm
>> too clumsy to do it myself.
>>
>> Local places charge $80 to do it. I like the phone and don't want to
>> replace it with a newer and much more expensive one, so $80 isn't an
>> out-of-range price. BUT (a) will a brand-new battery make me as happy
>> as I was when I got the phone? (2) And how do I find a reliable fixer?
>> Lots of local possibilities (I don't want to mail it anywhere), but how
>> do you recognize the losers? I assume that the obvious losers are
>> obvious...
>
> Bev,
>
> Knowing your interest in photography, I would suggest - in a couple of month's
> time - looking at least years models. The new models are due out very soon, so
> the older will becone reduced (I hope!). I'm thinking 6A, or 6 Pro with the
> telephoto camera. Removes a lot of uncertainties about 3rd party outfits and
> old batteries. Google offer trade-in as well.
>
> Yes, you'll probably decide against but do take a look.

:-) The camera is definitely the most-used part of the phone. The
non-phone sound has always been inadequate, but I don't use it for
'media' anyway, so that doesn't really matter. I was looking at the
specs/prices of the newer models and wasn't all that impressed. I, a
world-class cheapskate, really can't justify spending a lot on a phone;
I got this one with 128GB of memory for $120 or so 2.5 years ago.

I WOULD like a telephoto lens -- I ordered one of the ebay cheapies
which was worthless -- and don't understand why they add a wide-angle
lens; the Pixel camera comes up sufficiently wide-angle that you really
ought to fix the perspective if there are any vertical entities in the
shot. I haven't seen a 'default focal length' setting, but maybe I've
missed it.

I'll keep looking, though. I don't think I want a non-Pixel phone --
this one has so many nice features and so few negative ones that I'm
unwilling to consider something else. Its ability to suck in ALL my
apps and settings (the settings are the most important part) from the
Motorola G5 was mind-blowing. I wish I'd had the good sense to remove
the sdcard first, because now I have a weird structure that simulates
the sdcard -- which I had configured as a memory extension rather than a
simple storage device. OTOH, maybe that would have blown something
else. Never mind.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't need instructions, I have a hammer."

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<thcqfk$1qeuq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34410&group=comp.mobile.android#34410

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 12:57:38 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 19:57 UTC

On 10/2/22 2:07 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> David Taylor wrote:
>
>> Knowing your interest in photography, I would suggest - in a couple of month's
>> time - looking at least years models.
>
> When my pixel3 went EOL, I decided the camera bulge on the Pixel6 and newer
> phones was too fugly, so I grey-imported a pixel5a, it regularly shows 3+ days
> of battery life, retains rear fingerprint and 3.5mm jack, minor downside is the
> inexorable increase in screen size.

I hadn't thought about grey-market for a phone. I bought a grey
film-camera once with no problem at all requiring repair -- maybe my
AE-1, but it's been a LONG time. I really liked that camera. Not as
much as my Speed Graphic, but it was a lot lighter and I had to change
the film a lot less frequently :-)

Any particular company?

I understand the undesirability of the bulge and given what I know about
the fingerprint reader at the gym I would NEVER trust such a thing on a
camera. The only 'insecurity' I worry about with my phone is my
email/facebook passwords so I don't even have a gesture on my phone --
too much trouble.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<thcr93$1ql8h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34411&group=comp.mobile.android#34411

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 13:11:14 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 20:11 UTC

On 10/2/22 2:49 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 02/10/2022 10:07, Andy Burns wrote:
>> When my pixel3 went EOL, I decided the camera bulge on the Pixel6 and newer
>> phones was too fugly, so I grey-imported a pixel5a, it regularly shows 3+ days
>> of battery life, retains rear fingerprint and 3.5mm jack, minor downside is the
>> inexorable increase in screen size.
>
> I hope that Bev can do something similar.
>
> For me, the telephoto camera on the 6 Pro was the deciding factor, and having
> the phone always with me, and not always having any other camera, was the
> deciding factor. Yes, the other cameras I have (Panasonic GX7 & TZ200) can
> produce better quality images, but they are used far less. Pixel 6 Pro Battery
> life is excellent and connecting headphones or ear-buds with Bluetooth is no
> problem.

I bought one of those bluetooth earphone things that hangs around the
neck (daughter loves hers, but she lives on her phone) and it sounds
fine, but the stupid little switches are black on black and way too
small to see. Plus I don't actually need phones/buds anyway :-(

Is the 6Pro the first one with a telephoto lens?

I still have my Canon A720IS which I bought because it has shutter and
aperture settings, but it turns out I never used them. I think I set
the speed and let the aperture go automatic. The battery contacts are
unreliable, apparently a generic problem. If I'd replaced it with a
camera instead of a phone I would have chosen a Nikon -- the Nikon CP800
(which I also still have) took sharper pix than the Canon.

We have too many choices now :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<thcs7l$1qsoj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34412&group=comp.mobile.android#34412

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 13:27:31 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 20:27 UTC

On 10/2/22 9:50 AM, s|b wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 19:11:18 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> I'm THINKING about
>> replacing the battery, but I looked at the youtube video and decided I'm
>> too clumsy to do it myself.
>
> I just disassembled a Samsung Galaxy 2 watch and put it back together
> again. You can do it.
>
> Although I'm not going to lie. Difficulty for the watch is set to
> 'average' while the Pixel 2 says 'difficult'.
>
> <https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+2+Battery+Replacement/103334?pk_vid=548b7ed3ff189ff416647293475a0144>

That's nastier than the video I watched :-( But hey, I have a nice set
of torx drivers and EVERYBODY has Phillips! What could possibly go worng?

I have a Lenovo tablet whose power switch is problematical. I've done
the 'repair' several times, but it always fails again. The problem
seems to be (or at least I can't figure out a better one) that the
plastic actuator is soft and quickly wears away enough material that it
can no longer actually switch the microswitch. This makes no sense, but
it's the only explanation that makes any sense at all. I tried putting
in a little piece of cellophane-analog, which worked for a while. Did
that again with two pieces. Worked for a while and then stopped
working. I gave up, but I'm not happy about it. I hate doing this
stuff, largely because I have no horizontal surfaces to work on :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"...and then I'll become a veterinarian because I love children."

Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement

<jpuehhF8c9tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34414&group=comp.mobile.android#34414

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 22:35:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 21:35 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> I hadn't thought about grey-market for a phone.

you shouldn't have to, the pixel5a is only sold in USA and Japan, but I'm in UK.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Pixel 2 Battery Replacement