Uncompensated overtime? Just Say No.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Unused app permissions

SubjectAuthor
* Unused app permissionsCarlos E. R.
+* Re: Unused app permissionsThe Real Bev
|`- Re: Unused app permissionsCarlos E. R.
+* Re: Unused app permissionsJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Unused app permissionsCarlos E. R.
| `* Re: Unused app permissionsJoerg Lorenz
|  `- Re: Unused app permissionsCarlos E. R.
`* Re: Unused app permissionsJoe Beanfish
 `- Re: Unused app permissionsCarlos E. R.

1
Unused app permissions

<jqu04fFsibpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34503&group=comp.mobile.android#34503

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Unused app permissions
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:46:07 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:46 UTC

Hi,

Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.

How can I disable this silliness?

Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
removing permissions and free space for that single app.

I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.

Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Unused app permissions

<tickuo$28vul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34504&group=comp.mobile.android#34504

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Unused app permissions
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 14:39:34 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 21:39 UTC

On 10/14/22 1:46 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
> in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.
>
> How can I disable this silliness?
>
> Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
> removing permissions and free space for that single app.
>
> I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
> configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.
>
> Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
> a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.

11 does this too, but since I only use a few of my apps regularly I
haven't noticed if there's a problem when I next want to use an
unpermissioned app.

What happens?

--
Cheers, Bev
Segal's Law: A man with one watch knows the time.

Re: Unused app permissions

<tiddu3$a6sj$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34510&group=comp.mobile.android#34510

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 06:45:55 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 04:45 UTC

Am 14.10.22 um 22:46 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> Hi,
>
> Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
> in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.
>
> How can I disable this silliness?
>

> Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
> removing permissions and free space for that single app.
>
> I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
> configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.
>
> Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
> a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/244606/how-can-i-disable-the-android-11s-auto-reset-permissions-globally

HTH

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Unused app permissions

<jqvgeiF5bhfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34511&group=comp.mobile.android#34511

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:30:41 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:30 UTC

On 14/10/2022 23.39, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/14/22 1:46 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
>> in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.
>>
>> How can I disable this silliness?
>>
>> Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
>> removing permissions and free space for that single app.
>>
>> I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
>> configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.
>>
>> Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
>> a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.
>
> 11 does this too, but since I only use a few of my apps regularly I
> haven't noticed if there's a problem when I next want to use an
> unpermissioned app.
>
> What happens?

Depends on the app... on some, some settings are gone. If it is an app
that pushes notifications, say about some event that happens rarely, it
stops silently because it doesn't have permission for things it did.
--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Unused app permissions

<jqvgvaF5bhfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34512&group=comp.mobile.android#34512

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:39:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:39 UTC

On 15/10/2022 06.45, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 14.10.22 um 22:46 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
>> in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.
>>
>> How can I disable this silliness?
>>

>> Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
>> removing permissions and free space for that single app.
>>
>> I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
>> configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.
>>
>> Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
>> a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.
>
> https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/244606/how-can-i-disable-the-android-11s-auto-reset-permissions-globally

Thanks.

Answer one is ridiculous, that's what we do not want to do.

«Go to app info on each of those apps > permissions > toggle "remove
permissions if not used" to OFF.»

Answer 2 is to disable play protect entirely. I do not want to do that.

So there is no way. There is a suggestion to use app ap PMX, but they
don't say what this app does exactly.

https://github.com/mirfatif/PermissionManagerX

README.md

«Using eXtended Permission Manager, for each installed app, on single
screen, you can:»

Well, that's not what we want. We want a global setting.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Unused app permissions

<tie858$aavd$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34513&group=comp.mobile.android#34513

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:13:28 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:13 UTC

Am 15.10.22 um 12:39 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
> On 15/10/2022 06.45, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 14.10.22 um 22:46 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
>>> in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.
>>>
>>> How can I disable this silliness?
>>>

>>> Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
>>> removing permissions and free space for that single app.
>>>
>>> I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
>>> configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.
>>>
>>> Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
>>> a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.
>>
>> https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/244606/how-can-i-disable-the-android-11s-auto-reset-permissions-globally
>
> Thanks.
>
> Answer one is ridiculous, that's what we do not want to do.
>
> «Go to app info on each of those apps > permissions > toggle "remove
> permissions if not used" to OFF.»
>

> Answer 2 is to disable play protect entirely. I do not want to do that.
>
> So there is no way. There is a suggestion to use app ap PMX, but they
> don't say what this app does exactly.
>
> https://github.com/mirfatif/PermissionManagerX
>
> README.md
>
> «Using eXtended Permission Manager, for each installed app, on single
> screen, you can:»
>
> Well, that's not what we want. We want a global setting.

There seems to be none.

The revocation of permissions is a security and privacy feature.

Do it for the apps on an app by app basis which are important apps you
seldomly use. That won't be too many, I assume.

There is no other solution so far.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Unused app permissions

<jqvmv1F5bhfU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34514&group=comp.mobile.android#34514

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:21:53 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:21 UTC

On 15/10/2022 14.13, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 15.10.22 um 12:39 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>> On 15/10/2022 06.45, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>> Am 14.10.22 um 22:46 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

>> Well, that's not what we want. We want a global setting.
>
> There seems to be none.
>
> The revocation of permissions is a security and privacy feature.
>
> Do it for the apps on an app by app basis which are important apps you
> seldomly use. That won't be too many, I assume.

That's what I do, but on every cycle, those apps pop again in the
review, and they will end by being every app in the phone.

> There is no other solution so far.

What a shame

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Unused app permissions

<tijnqj$3euej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34552&group=comp.mobile.android#34552

From: joebeanf...@nospam.duh (Joe Beanfish)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 14:11:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Beanfish - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 14:11 UTC

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:46:07 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
> in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.
>
> How can I disable this silliness?
>

> Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
> removing permissions and free space for that single app.
>
> I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
> configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.
>
> Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
> a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.

Lacking the ability to turn that off, just plan a monthly quick
open/close of all the apps you care about.

I wonder if one of the automation apps could be set to launch a bunch
of apps at, say 4am on the first of every month.

Re: Unused app permissions

<jr5atcF80uU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34555&group=comp.mobile.android#34555

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 17:33:00 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:33 UTC

On 17/10/2022 16.11, Joe Beanfish wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:46:07 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Everywhile my Android 12 phone runs a check, finds apps I have not used
>> in a few months, and removes permissions and temp files from them.
>>
>> How can I disable this silliness?
>>

>> Currently, I have to wait for it to "purify" an app, and disable
>> removing permissions and free space for that single app.
>>
>> I want to disable this for ALL apps. I had some apps lost their
>> configuration because of this, and configuring them again is a pain.
>>
>> Even if I disable this for an app, the warning pops up again, and I have
>> a growing list of apps in the list, many with the button disabled.
>
> Lacking the ability to turn that off, just plan a monthly quick
> open/close of all the apps you care about.

You are right; writing a reminder in the calendar to do this every two
months is going to be the way. Open every app in every "desktop".