From: jerry_fr...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Free Samsung J7V
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:34:55 -0600
 by: Jerry Friedman - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 20:34 UTC

I broke my phone and a friend shipped me his old Samsung J7V.
It has a Verizon SIM card I think because it says Verizon.
But I'm on another carrier.

What's the process to get it unlocked if I have the phone.
Does he have to do it?
Can I?
--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Free Samsung J7V

<gz1ffeuyv67u.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34701&group=comp.mobile.android#34701

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Free Samsung J7V
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 19:08:10 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 00:08 UTC

Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I broke my phone and a friend shipped me his old Samsung J7V.
> It has a Verizon SIM card I think because it says Verizon.
> But I'm on another carrier.
>
> What's the process to get it unlocked if I have the phone.
> Does he have to do it?
> Can I?

Did you friend tell you if his was a locked or unlocked phone? If
locked, you have to use it with the carrier to which it is locked.
Else, just move your old SIM card to the new unlocked phone.

To unlock the phone, it must be paid off. Lots of carriers offer lures
to switch to their service. Once you've satisfied the contract and own
the phone, you can call the carrier to get the phone unlocked.

https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics-computers/cell-phones/how-to-unlock-your-phone-from-any-major-carrier-a2778672129/
"According to the Federal Communications Commission, however, the
carrier must unlock your phone for free after you’ve fully paid off the
device (or coughed up an early termination fee)."

Easier to buy the phone unlocked in the first place, but many consumers
don't think they'll be switching carriers. Ask your friend what carrier
he was using, and if the phone was unlocked when he had it. Since the
carrier unlocks the phone for their customers, and since you may not be
a customer of whoever was the carrier, your friend will have to do the
unlocking, but maybe your friend is no longer their customer. In that
case, you'll have to root the phone.

Lots of online articles about that. I've not done it, because my phone
is critical, I only have one in use, and I'm not experimenting with
someone else's code in the firmware in my only phone. You can search
online on "root samsung j7v" which can find articles, like:

https://www.rootdroids.com/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-j7-v-j727v/

Re: Free Samsung J7V

<tjqq3r$nj52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34702&group=comp.mobile.android#34702

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 09:49:47 +0000
 by: David Taylor - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 09:49 UTC

On 31/10/2022 20:34, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> I broke my phone and a friend shipped me his old Samsung J7V.
> It has a Verizon SIM card I think because it says Verizon.
> But I'm on another carrier.
>
> What's the process to get it unlocked if I have the phone.
> Does he have to do it?
> Can I?

Jerry,

I found a source on the Internet selling unlock codes for about £10, and that
worked with a phone I had many years ago. There were a number of places
selling unlock codes. Whether it's different in the US I don't know.
--
Cheers,
David

Re: Free Samsung J7V

<011120220636428506%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34703&group=comp.mobile.android#34703

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 06:36:42 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 10:36 UTC

In article <tjpbh9$123g$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Jerry Friedman
<jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I broke my phone and a friend shipped me his old Samsung J7V.
> It has a Verizon SIM card I think because it says Verizon.
> But I'm on another carrier.
>
> What's the process to get it unlocked if I have the phone.
> Does he have to do it?
> Can I?

that's an lte phone. verizon is required to not lock lte devices, per
agreement with the fcc for the lte spectrum they use.

swap the sim and it should work.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Free Samsung J7V