"A car is just a big purse on wheels." -- Johanna Reynolds

computers / comp.mobile.android / Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

SubjectAuthor
* Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology aNewsKrawler
`* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsJoerg Lorenz
 `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technolonospam
  +* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsJoerg Lorenz
  |`- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloYour Name
  `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloKen Blake
   `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technolonospam
    `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloKen Blake
     +* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloAndy Burnelli
> [...]
     | |      |    `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsRod Speed
     | |      |     `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloKen Blake
     | |      |      `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloknuttle
     | |      |       `- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloKen Blake
     | |      `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsJolly Roger
     | |       `- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technolowolfgang kern
     | `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itssms
     |  `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technolonospam
     |   `- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloAndy Burnelli
     +* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsThe Real Bev
     |`* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloKen Blake
     | +* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloAndy Burnelli
     | |+- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsAlan
     | |`* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technolonospam
     | | `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloAndy Burnelli
     | |  `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsAlan
     | |   `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloYour Name
     | |    `- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloAndy Burnelli
     | +- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsThe Real Bev
     | `- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with itsJoerg Lorenz
     `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technolonospam
      `* Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloKen Blake
       `- Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technoloAndy Burnelli

Pages:123
Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk1pit$3ubkg$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34747&group=comp.mobile.android#34747

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 01:23:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 01:23 UTC

https://9to5mac.com/2022/11/03/samsung-iphone-ad-foldables/
Samsung's iPhone obsession continues with 'On the Fence' ad mocking Apple
customers

Samsung is continuing its obsession with Apple, this time with a new ad
mocking the company for not releasing a foldable iPhone.

Samsung is once again targeting Apple's apparent lack of innovation with a
new ad titled "On the fence." https://youtu.be/HeqD7v4f8Jk
"You don't want to leave. We're waiting for all that to come over here
(to the Apple side of the fence). That's what we do. We wait."

The ad features an iPhone user sitting on a fence, about to make the jump
while fellow Apple users try to convince him to stay. "'I'm going to
Samsung's side, they have folding phones and epic cameras," the person
says.

The other iPhone users say they are "waiting for all that to come over
here," to which the switcher questions why they're waiting when
everything's already available on the "Samsung side."

The video argues that it's "time to get off the fence" and make the jump to
Samsung devices, rather than "wait" for Apple to match the features and
products Samsung already offers.

Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent ads.

Following the announcement of the iPhone 14, Samsung sent a series of
tweets making fun of Apple's latest flagship devices. The insults ranged
from the lack of a foldable/flip design, the camera hardware, and more.

Even before the iPhone 14's release, Samsung said: "Innovation is not
coming soon to an iPhone near you. It's already here in the galaxy."

Apple is investing in foldable iPhone development, but it's unclear when or
if a device will ever hit the market.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk3fif$ebnr$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34750&group=comp.mobile.android#34750

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its
recent technology ads
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:45:03 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:45 UTC

Am 04.11.22 um 02:23 schrieb NewsKrawler:
> https://9to5mac.com/2022/11/03/samsung-iphone-ad-foldables/
> Samsung's iPhone obsession continues with 'On the Fence' ad mocking Apple
> customers
>
> Samsung is continuing its obsession with Apple, this time with a new ad
> mocking the company for not releasing a foldable iPhone.

Is there really someone wanting that?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<041120221255167482%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34751&group=comp.mobile.android#34751

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 12:55:16 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:55 UTC

In article <tk3fif$ebnr$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> > Samsung is continuing its obsession with Apple, this time with a new ad
> > mocking the company for not releasing a foldable iPhone.
>
> Is there really someone wanting that?

not very many.

i saw the latest samsung folding phone last week. it had a very obvious
crease in the middle.

it's a solution in search of a problem.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk3gvo$ecv7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34753&group=comp.mobile.android#34753

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
recent technology ads
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 18:09:12 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:09 UTC

Am 04.11.22 um 17:55 schrieb nospam:
> In article <tk3fif$ebnr$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
> wrote:
>
>>> Samsung is continuing its obsession with Apple, this time with a new ad
>>> mocking the company for not releasing a foldable iPhone.
>>
>> Is there really someone wanting that?
>
> not very many.
>
> i saw the latest samsung folding phone last week. it had a very obvious
> crease in the middle.
>
> it's a solution in search of a problem.

My impression as well.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<fgiamhpcjft535ermnmf6fgkoddvpesdeu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34754&group=comp.mobile.android#34754

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 10:23:56 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:23 UTC

On Fri, 04 Nov 2022 12:55:16 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <tk3fif$ebnr$1@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
>wrote:
>
>> > Samsung is continuing its obsession with Apple, this time with a new ad
>> > mocking the company for not releasing a foldable iPhone.
>>
>> Is there really someone wanting that?
>
>not very many.
>
>i saw the latest samsung folding phone last week. it had a very obvious
>crease in the middle.
>
>it's a solution in search of a problem.

I don't agree. If a phone could fold in the middle and double its
screen size while still fitting in my pocket, it would be a big
improvement. I'm not willing to pay current prices for such a phone
now, but one of these days they might be much better and much cheaper.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<041120221416138910%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34755&group=comp.mobile.android#34755

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 14:16:13 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 18:16 UTC

In article <fgiamhpcjft535ermnmf6fgkoddvpesdeu@4ax.com>, Ken Blake
<Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> >> Is there really someone wanting that?
> >
> >not very many.
> >
> >i saw the latest samsung folding phone last week. it had a very obvious
> >crease in the middle.
> >
> >it's a solution in search of a problem.
>

> I don't agree. If a phone could fold in the middle and double its
> screen size while still fitting in my pocket, it would be a big
> improvement. I'm not willing to pay current prices for such a phone
> now, but one of these days they might be much better and much cheaper.

while folding would make it smaller, the benefit is minimal for
something the size of a phone, which already fits in a pocket.

tablets, on the other hand, are too large to fit in a pocket and would
very much benefit from folding down to the size of a phone so that it
can easily be carried, then unfold into a much larger workspace when in
use.

they still need to resolve the crease problem, which is not only
visible, but lumpy when swiping a finger over it.

maybe one day, but the technology ain't there yet.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<vtscmh1n84cq29bcf9htn8b2litgu5vrhk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34770&group=comp.mobile.android#34770

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 07:34:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:34 UTC

On Fri, 04 Nov 2022 14:16:13 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >not very many.
>> >
>> >i saw the latest samsung folding phone last week. it had a very obvious
>> >crease in the middle.
>> >
>> >it's a solution in search of a problem.
>>

>> I don't agree. If a phone could fold in the middle and double its
>> screen size while still fitting in my pocket, it would be a big
>> improvement. I'm not willing to pay current prices for such a phone
>> now, but one of these days they might be much better and much cheaper.
>
>while folding would make it smaller, the benefit is minimal for
>something the size of a phone, which already fits in a pocket.

If you want to think double the screen size is a minimal benefit,
that's your prerogative. I obviously disagree, and strongly..

>tablets, on the other hand, are too large to fit in a pocket and would
>very much benefit from folding down to the size of a phone so that it
>can easily be carried, then unfold into a much larger workspace when in
>use.
>
>they still need to resolve the crease problem, which is not only
>visible, but lumpy when swiping a finger over it.
>
>maybe one day, but the technology ain't there yet.

I agree, but that statement is *very* different from saying "it's a
solution in search of a problem."

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk5u86$1e9f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34772&group=comp.mobile.android#34772

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 04:08:00 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 15:08 UTC

On 2022-11-05 06:09:12 +0000, Joerg Lorenz said:

> My impression as well.

That's because you are too dense to understand what Samsung is saying.

Samsung didn't spend their large PR budget without knowing very clearly
that Apple owners are extremely sensitive to the lack of iphone innovation.

The whole video is about how far behind Apple is in real innovation which
iphone owners care about because they're greatly socially influenced.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk607j$a3h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34775&group=comp.mobile.android#34775

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 15:41:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 15:41 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

>> nospam wrote:
>>while folding would make it smaller, the benefit is minimal for
>>something the size of a phone, which already fits in a pocket.
>
> If you want to think double the screen size is a minimal benefit,
> that's your prerogative. I obviously disagree, and strongly..

It's classic for nospam to have only 7 excuses for why his beloved iPhone
can't do the simplest of things that Android phones already easily do.

One of those 7 excuses nospam always pulls out of his ass is this claim:
*Nobody Wants It*

It's a classic nospam excuse for why Apple can't innovate on the iPhone.

In this case, nospam's claim is nobody wants any smart phone that is half
the size in your pocket but double the screen size when you need it to be.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk62gs$2hmob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34777&group=comp.mobile.android#34777

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
recent technology ads
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 09:20:44 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 16:20 UTC

On 2022-11-05 08:41, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>> nospam wrote:
>>> while folding would make it smaller, the benefit is minimal for
>>> something the size of a phone, which already fits in a pocket.
>>
>> If you want to think double the screen size is a minimal benefit,
>> that's your prerogative. I obviously disagree, and strongly..
>
> It's classic for nospam to have only 7 excuses for why his beloved iPhone
> can't do the simplest of things that Android phones already easily do.

You think Apple CAN'T make a folding phone the equal of what has been
released?

You think they already HAVEN'T?

How naive.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk65cp$2ik86$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34780&group=comp.mobile.android#34780

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
recent technology ads
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 10:09:43 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:09 UTC

On 11/5/22 7:34 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>maybe one day, but the technology ain't there yet.

We've been watching 'May It Please The Court", a Korean series with
subtitles. The main character, a hotshot female lawyer, uses a folding
phone. It doesn't look all that much bigger than 'regular' phones when
unfolded, and seems much thicker when folded.

It's very interesting even without the phone.

--
Cheers, Bev
Salesmen welcome -- dog food is expensive

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<ge7dmhh9eh2f458hjtt255t80dsni37p0o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34781&group=comp.mobile.android#34781

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 10:32:50 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:32 UTC

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 10:09:43 -0700, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 11/5/22 7:34 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>>maybe one day, but the technology ain't there yet.
>
>We've been watching 'May It Please The Court", a Korean series with
>subtitles. The main character, a hotshot female lawyer, uses a folding
>phone. It doesn't look all that much bigger than 'regular' phones when
>unfolded, and seems much thicker when folded.

Not a big deal, especially since I agreed with "maybe one day, but the
technology ain't there yet," but please be careful with your
attributions; I didn't write that.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk6709$19ud$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34782&group=comp.mobile.android#34782

From: soy...@soyon.biz (soyon)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:37:23 +0100
 by: soyon - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:37 UTC

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 09:20:44 -0700, Alan wrote:

>> It's classic for nospam to have only 7 excuses for why his beloved iPhone
>> can't do the simplest of things that Android phones already easily do.
>
> You think Apple CAN'T make a folding phone the equal of what has been
> released?

On that note, tell us why Apple can't make an Apple Silicon 5G modem "the
equal of what has been released" by Samsung, MediaTek, Huawei and Qualcomm.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<051120221350258547%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34783&group=comp.mobile.android#34783

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 13:50:25 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:50 UTC

In article <tk6709$19ud$1@gioia.aioe.org>, soyon <soyon@soyon.biz>
wrote:

> On that note, tell us why Apple can't make an Apple Silicon 5G modem "the
> equal of what has been released" by Samsung, MediaTek, Huawei and Qualcomm.

why can't qualcomm make a processor the equal of what has been released
by apple?

different companies focus on different things. this is not complicated,
even for trolls.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<051120221350268624%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34784&group=comp.mobile.android#34784

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 13:50:26 -0400

In article <tk62gs$2hmob$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> >> If you want to think double the screen size is a minimal benefit,
> >> that's your prerogative. I obviously disagree, and strongly..
> >
> > It's classic for nospam to have only 7 excuses for why his beloved iPhone
> > can't do the simplest of things that Android phones already easily do.
>
> You think Apple CAN'T make a folding phone the equal of what has been
> released?

of course they 'can', it's that they don't want to because the folding
phones that have been released so far (and many more that haven't)
aren't particularly good.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<051120221350278717%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34785&group=comp.mobile.android#34785

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 13:50:27 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 17:50 UTC

In article <vtscmh1n84cq29bcf9htn8b2litgu5vrhk@4ax.com>, Ken Blake
<Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> >> I don't agree. If a phone could fold in the middle and double its
> >> screen size while still fitting in my pocket, it would be a big
> >> improvement. I'm not willing to pay current prices for such a phone
> >> now, but one of these days they might be much better and much cheaper.
> >
> >while folding would make it smaller, the benefit is minimal for
> >something the size of a phone, which already fits in a pocket.
>
> If you want to think double the screen size is a minimal benefit,
> that's your prerogative. I obviously disagree, and strongly..

double the screen size of something that's relatively small and easily
fits in a pocket is still relatively small, just not quite as much.

if you have the opportunity, go to a cellphone store and take a look at
the foldable phones.

the concept might sound good, but the implementations are very much not.

there are also a lot of limitations and tradeoffs that negate any
benefit.

while its true that they're smaller when folded, it's not really *that*
much of a difference for a phone that's already fairly small, but
what's often not said is that they're now twice as thick.

in reality, it's actually a little more than twice because of an
articulating hinge that leaves a small gap to avoid fracturing the
display from a sharp fold:
<https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/3YFJafg7LUkhwiLCKYY9fS-1200-80.jpg>

there is also the crease when unfolded, which is noticeable, both
visually and when swiping across it:
<https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/o6xu2HzHzJzPgertS4NQjU-1200-80.jpg>

folding phones and certainly folding displays are also less durable and
more susceptible to scratches. the material has to be soft enough to
bend.

the technology is definitely not ready and there's little indication
that will change any time soon.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk69ak$9qj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34786&group=comp.mobile.android#34786

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:17:02 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:17 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

>>We've been watching 'May It Please The Court", a Korean series with
>>subtitles. The main character, a hotshot female lawyer, uses a folding
>>phone. It doesn't look all that much bigger than 'regular' phones when
>>unfolded, and seems much thicker when folded.
>
> Not a big deal, especially since I agreed with "maybe one day, but the
> technology ain't there yet," but please be careful with your
> attributions; I didn't write that.

At the T-Mobile store this week, I loaded software onto their $1,800 flip
phone without needing a mothership account and tested out the large screen.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Vk7QyrNd/flipphone01.jpg> Cellular & Wi-Fi debugging
It's nice to have that huge screen with that small form factor; but that
technology innovation which Samsung advertises Apple doesn't have comes at
an expense given the ~10% California sales tax alone is more than a phone.

For those naysayers who complain about the crease - that's like complaining
that your pants have a crease in it where they should show us how they iron
their pants without ending up with a crease where they fold them daily.
(In other words, they complain - but they can't do any better themselves.)

The ad is apropos because iPhone users hate the absence of innovation.
Samsung is just pointing out the obvious which isn't obvious to them.

The reason Apple's lack of the ability to innovate isn't obvious to them is
that they believe Apple's ads claiming innovation (e.g., in memoji's).

Apple's slogan for iPhone should be something like:
*We can't innovate - but we sure can advertise the silly things we tout*

BTW, not only is an iPhone useless without the mothership tracking account,
but it another place Apple can't innovate is in useful app technology they
provide on the App Store - which can't do the _simplest_ of things as shown
in that screenshot of mine. Apple iOS is crippled in useful functionality.

Notice it's useful to have twice the screen to display all the Wi-Fi APs.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Vk7QyrNd/flipphone01.jpg>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which in this case is to supply a real world look at the folding phone.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk69qj$gim$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34787&group=comp.mobile.android#34787

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:25:33 +0000
 by: Bill W - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:25 UTC

On Nov 05, 2022, nospam wrote (in article

>> You think Apple CAN'T make a folding phone the equal of what has been
>> released?
>
> of course they 'can', it's that they don't want to because the folding
> phones that have been released so far (and many more that haven't)
> aren't particularly good.

Samsung's ad is wrong.

Of course Apple 'can' integrate a modem into their soc.
They just don't want to.

Samsung's ad is correct.

All phones with soc integration 'aren't particularly good' you say.
Apple can't figure out why anyone would integrate anything into an soc.

Apple bought that screen from samsung & Apple bought that cpu from arm &
Apple bought that modem from qualcomm *because* Apple can't innovate.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk6agg$eqjs$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34788&group=comp.mobile.android#34788

From: thi...@address.is.invalid (mike)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 00:07:14 +0530
 by: mike - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:37 UTC

On 05-11-2022 23:20 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> why can't qualcomm make a processor the equal of what has been released
> by apple?

Does Qualcomm buy their smartphone CPU technology from ARM like Apple does?
Samsung focused on hardware innovation where it counts. Screen real estate.

> different companies focus on different things.

If Apple focuses on hardware innovation, where's the iPhone hardware
innovation when their iPhone CPU comes from one innovator, the screen from
another innovator, the modem from yet another innovator, etc.

What iPhone hardware innovation did Apple completely design without buying
the underlying innovation from an actual hardware innovation company?

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk6ang$s5f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34789&group=comp.mobile.android#34789

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with
its recent technology ads
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:40:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:40 UTC

Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>> nospam wrote:
>>> while folding would make it smaller, the benefit is minimal for
>>> something the size of a phone, which already fits in a pocket.
>>
>> If you want to think double the screen size is a minimal benefit,
>> that's your prerogative. I obviously disagree, and strongly..
>
> It's classic for nospam to have only 7 excuses for why his beloved iPhone
> can't do the simplest of things that Android phones already easily do.
>
> One of those 7 excuses nospam always pulls out of his ass is this claim:
> *Nobody Wants It*
>
> It's a classic nospam excuse for why Apple can't innovate on the iPhone.
>
> In this case, nospam's claim is nobody wants any smart phone that is half
> the size in your pocket but double the screen size when you need it to be.

My 83 year-old stepfather wanted the Samsung folding phone so much he gave
up the Apple 6+ which he had since it was new. I had to try and teach him
how to use it and found it frustrating myself, mostly because I’m used to
iOS and found Android to be unintuitive, but that’s just my experience.

The phone folded in half, but it was also way too thick and bulky when put
in a pocket. Personally I would not want it.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk6b0s$ujg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34790&group=comp.mobile.android#34790

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
recent technology ads
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 11:45:48 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:45 UTC

On 2022-11-05 11:17, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:

>>> We've been watching 'May It Please The Court", a Korean series with
>>> subtitles.  The main character, a hotshot female lawyer, uses a
>>> folding phone.  It doesn't look all that much bigger than 'regular'
>>> phones when unfolded, and seems much thicker when folded.
>>
>> Not a big deal, especially since I agreed with "maybe one day, but the
>> technology ain't there yet," but please be careful with your
>> attributions; I didn't write that.
>
> At the T-Mobile store this week, I loaded software onto their $1,800 flip
> phone without needing a mothership account and tested out the large screen.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/Vk7QyrNd/flipphone01.jpg> Cellular & Wi-Fi debugging

Yes... ...because a 5 minute test is certainly adequate to discover the
real-world utility of a feature and how long it will be before it breaks...

> It's nice to have that huge screen with that small form factor; but that
> technology innovation which Samsung advertises Apple doesn't have comes at
> an expense given the ~10% California sales tax alone is more than a phone.
>
> For those naysayers who complain about the crease - that's like complaining
> that your pants have a crease in it where they should show us how they iron
> their pants without ending up with a crease where they fold them daily.
> (In other words, they complain - but they can't do any better themselves.)

I know this will come as a shock to you, Arlen:

Pants and touchscreen devices are not the same thing.

> The ad is apropos because iPhone users hate the absence of innovation.
> Samsung is just pointing out the obvious which isn't obvious to them.

LOL!

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<051120221452342335%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34791&group=comp.mobile.android#34791

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 14:52:34 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:52 UTC

In article <tk69ak$9qj$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> For those naysayers who complain about the crease - that's like complaining
> that your pants have a crease in it where they should show us how they iron
> their pants without ending up with a crease where they fold them daily.
> (In other words, they complain - but they can't do any better themselves.)

how often do you touch the crease in your pants?

on second thought, don't answer that.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<051120221452352398%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34792&group=comp.mobile.android#34792

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 14:52:35 -0400
References: <tk1pit$3ubkg$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tk3fif$ebnr$1@solani.org> <041120221255167482%nospam@nospam.invalid> <fgiamhpcjft535ermnmf6fgkoddvpesdeu@4ax.com> <041120221416138910%nospam@nospam.invalid> <vtscmh1n84cq29bcf9htn8b2litgu5vrhk@4ax.com> <tk607j$a3h$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tk62gs$2hmob$1@dont-email.me> <tk6709$19ud$1@gioia.aioe.org> <051120221350258547%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tk6agg$eqjs$1@solani.org>
 by: nospam - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:52 UTC

In article <tk6agg$eqjs$1@solani.org>, mike <this@address.is.invalid>
wrote:

> > why can't qualcomm make a processor the equal of what has been released
> > by apple?
>
> Does Qualcomm buy their smartphone CPU technology from ARM like Apple does?

as you've been repeatedly told, apple doesn't do that.

apple has an architectural license, which means they can design
whatever they want, and they do.

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk6bf8$2k0sa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34793&group=comp.mobile.android#34793

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
recent technology ads
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 11:53:28 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:53 UTC

On 2022-11-05 11:25, Bill W wrote:
> On Nov 05, 2022, nospam wrote (in article
>
>>> You think Apple CAN'T make a folding phone the equal of what has been
>>> released?
>>
>> of course they 'can', it's that they don't want to because the folding
>> phones that have been released so far (and many more that haven't)
>> aren't particularly good.
>
> Samsung's ad is wrong.
>
> Of course Apple 'can' integrate a modem into their soc.
> They just don't want to.
>
> Samsung's ad is correct.
>
> All phones with soc integration 'aren't particularly good' you say.
> Apple can't figure out why anyone would integrate anything into an soc.
>
> Apple bought that screen from samsung & Apple bought that cpu from arm &
> Apple bought that modem from qualcomm *because* Apple can't innovate.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Apple hasn't bought a CPU from ARM for more than a decade!

Re: Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads

<tk6bkh$2k0sa$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=34794&group=comp.mobile.android#34794

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
recent technology ads
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 11:56:17 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:56 UTC

On 2022-11-05 11:37, mike wrote:
> On 05-11-2022 23:20 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> why can't qualcomm make a processor the equal of what has been released
>> by apple?
>
> Does Qualcomm buy their smartphone CPU technology from ARM like Apple does?

Apple doesn't buy their technology from ARM.

> Samsung focused on hardware innovation where it counts. Screen real estate.
>

>> different companies focus on different things.
>
> If Apple focuses on hardware innovation, where's the iPhone hardware
> innovation when their iPhone CPU comes from one innovator, the screen from
> another innovator, the modem from yet another innovator, etc.
>
> What iPhone hardware innovation did Apple completely design without buying
> the underlying innovation from an actual hardware innovation company?

The A6 processor
The A7 processor

All the way to the A16 Bionic processor.

They license an Instruction Set Architechure.

Now run along and learn what that means before you continue in your
ignorance.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Samsung has been heavily targeting iPhone switchers with its recent technology ads