From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.misc
Subject: Key FOB, Assume has Active RF ID
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 07:49:41 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:49 UTC

Hi,

I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

To open the car door (locked), I simply grab the handle
and the door unlocks then opens with the Key FOB in my
pocket.

The Key FOB has buttons that include Unlock. If I press this button,
the Key FOB would transmit a coded signal in UHF band to the Jeep.

I assume because I am NOT pressing any buttons, my Jeep transmits a signal
(perhaps in short bursts) and my Key FOB responds by indicating it's presence?

Can someone clarify this?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: Key FOB, Assume has Active RF ID

<498222c6-f004-4be3-a1df-27a8777bfec1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=35&group=sci.electronics.misc#35

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.misc
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 10:47:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Key FOB, Assume has Active RF ID
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 17:47 UTC

On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 7:50:07 AM UTC-4, jaugu...@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
>
> To open the car door (locked), I simply grab the handle
> and the door unlocks then opens with the Key FOB in my
> pocket.
>
> The Key FOB has buttons that include Unlock. If I press this button,
> the Key FOB would transmit a coded signal in UHF band to the Jeep.
>
> I assume because I am NOT pressing any buttons, my Jeep transmits a signal
> (perhaps in short bursts) and my Key FOB responds by indicating it's presence?
>
> Can someone clarify this?

What does the owner's manual say? I just had to replace the keypad for my 2016 Grand Caravan because it was acting weird. The first thing that it did was to start opening the right side sliding door, without touching the fobik.
The metal disks inside had started to become detached. I found just the replacement keypad, but for some you have to buy the entire case to get the keypad. They are usually under $10.

Re: Key FOB, Assume has Active RF ID

<MPG.3bed089ed19416ae118@news.plus.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=36&group=sci.electronics.misc#36

From: grav...@mjcoon.plus.com (Mike Coon)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.misc
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 20:59:47 -0000
 by: Mike Coon - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 20:59 UTC

In article <498222c6-f004-4be3-a1df-27a8777bfec1n@googlegroups.com>,
terrell.michael.a@gmail.com says...

> On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 7:50:07 AM UTC-4, jaugu...@verizon.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
> >
> > To open the car door (locked), I simply grab the handle
> > and the door unlocks then opens with the Key FOB in my
> > pocket.
> >
> > The Key FOB has buttons that include Unlock. If I press this button,
> > the Key FOB would transmit a coded signal in UHF band to the Jeep.
> >
> > I assume because I am NOT pressing any buttons, my Jeep transmits a signal
> > (perhaps in short bursts) and my Key FOB responds by indicating it's presence?
> >
> > Can someone clarify this?
>
> What does the owner's manual say? I just had to replace the keypad for my 2016 Grand Caravan because it was acting weird. The first thing that it did was to start opening the right side sliding door, without touching the fobik.
> The metal disks inside had started to become detached. I found just the replacement keypad, but for some you have to buy the entire case to get the keypad. They are usually under $10.

I believe my Vauxhall (~2003) has a RFID. If the car is opened with the
key-in-lock that does not disarm the alarm. But starting the car with
the key does so via RFID. But I'm afraid I cannot be bothered to verify
with the manual!

Re: Key FOB, Assume has Active RF ID

<35c24653-e2d6-4584-9663-27054734bc27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=37&group=sci.electronics.misc#37

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.misc
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:56:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:56 UTC

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021 at 4:59:40 PM UTC-4, Mike Coon wrote:
> Mike Terrell wrote:
> >
> > What does the owner's manual say? I just had to replace the keypad for my 2016 Grand Caravan because it was acting weird. The first thing that it did was to start opening the right side sliding door, without touching the fobik.
> > The metal disks inside had started to become detached. I found just the replacement keypad, but for some you have to buy the entire case to get the keypad. They are usually under $10.
>
> I believe my Vauxhall (~2003) has a RFID. If the car is opened with the
> key-in-lock that does not disarm the alarm. But starting the car with
> the key does so via RFID. But I'm afraid I cannot be bothered to verify
> with the manual!

Don't worry, they have changed quite a bit since 2003.