To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.

tech / sci.engr.joining.welding / Re: cheap spool gun wiring

SubjectAuthor
* cheap spool gun wiringF Murtz
+* Re: cheap spool gun wiringF Murtz
|`* Re: cheap spool gun wiringDavid Billington
| `* Re: cheap spool gun wiringF Murtz
|  `* Re: cheap spool gun wiringDavid Billington
|   `* Re: cheap spool gun wiringF Murtz
|    `* Re: cheap spool gun wiringDavid Billington
|     `* Re: cheap spool gun wiringF Murtz
|      +- Re: cheap spool gun wiringSnag
|      `* Re: cheap spool gun wiringDavid Billington
|       `* Re: cheap spool gun wiringF Murtz
|        `- Re: cheap spool gun wiringRichard Smith
+- Re: cheap spool gun wiringMiller Scottish
`- Re: cheap spool gun wiringMiller Scottish

1
cheap spool gun wiring

<avnWI.36$2e3.1@fx29.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=96&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#96

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Subject: cheap spool gun wiring
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:39:16 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:39 UTC

Ihave an older unimig 175 which seem to be the same as a unimig 190.
it has three knobs,current voltage and wire speed,a euro socket for main
mig cable,two euro sockets for +

Ihave an older unimig 175 which seem to be the same as a unimig 190.
it has three knobs,current voltage and wire speed,a euro socket for main
mig cable,two euro sockets for dc,positive and neg, and a din socket for
spool motor I think.
I have ordered an el cheapo spool gun which does not come with plugs on
end of wiring but does come with a separate 4pin din plug,(I think) .
so how do I connect it all up.

-

-_

7

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<rAnWI.1956$uU5.1524@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=97&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#97

Subject: Re: cheap spool gun wiring
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:44:52 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:44 UTC

Try again
Ihave an older unimig 175 which seem to be the same as a unimig 190.
it has three knobs,current voltage and wire speed,a euro socket for main
mig cable,two euro sockets for dc,positive and neg, and a din socket for
spool motor I think.
I have ordered an el cheapo spool gun which does not come with plugs on
end of wiring but does come with a separate 4pin din plug,(I think) .
so how do I connect it all up.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<sgednr$b83$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=98&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#98

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 23:35:38 +0100
 by: David Billington - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:35 UTC

On 28/08/2021 10:44, F Murtz wrote:
> Try again
> Ihave an older unimig 175 which seem to be the same as a unimig 190.
> it has three knobs,current voltage and wire speed,a euro socket for
> main mig cable,two euro sockets for dc,positive and neg, and a din
> socket for spool motor I think.
> I have ordered an el cheapo spool gun which does not come with plugs
> on end of wiring but does come with a separate 4pin din plug,(I think) .
> so how do I connect it all up.

Looks like the Unimig have a Euro connector for a MIG torch and Dinse
sockets for MMA, MIG ground lead and a spool gun power supply. My spool
gun came with a Euro plug already attached but you say yours doesn't
have one so best to fit one, they're not expensive. My spool gun was
advertised as having a Amphenol connector for the torch power but I
couldn't find any that matched but eventually identified it as a 4 pin
GX16 aviation connector so had to get a matching socket to add to my MIG
for spool gun supply. You likely need to find out what connector is used
for your Unimig spool gun motor power and if you're lucky it'll match
your torch or otherwise change one or the other to suit.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<_c4XI.18164$rl3.12156@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=99&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#99

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:31:52 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:31 UTC

On 29/8/21 8:35 am, David Billington wrote:
> On 28/08/2021 10:44, F Murtz wrote:
>> Try again
>> Ihave an older unimig 175 which seem to be the same as a unimig 190.
>> it has three knobs,current voltage and wire speed,a euro socket for
>> main mig cable,two euro sockets for dc,positive and neg, and a din
>> socket for spool motor I think.
>> I have ordered an el cheapo spool gun which does not come with plugs
>> on end of wiring but does come with a separate 4pin din plug,(I think) .
>> so how do I connect it all up.
>

> Looks like the Unimig have a Euro connector for a MIG torch and Dinse
> sockets for MMA, MIG ground lead and a spool gun power supply. My spool
> gun came with a Euro plug already attached but you say yours doesn't
> have one so best to fit one, they're not expensive. My spool gun was
> advertised as having a Amphenol connector for the torch power but I
> couldn't find any that matched but eventually identified it as a 4 pin
> GX16 aviation connector so had to get a matching socket to add to my MIG
> for spool gun supply. You likely need to find out what connector is used
> for your Unimig spool gun motor power and if you're lucky it'll match
> your torch or otherwise change one or the other to suit.

One problem I have is that it seems to have a cable for the dc with
sheilding or something ending up with a copper lug 0n it where do I put
that lug?

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<sgj9c8$81j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=100&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#100

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:51:51 +0100
 by: David Billington - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:51 UTC

On 30/08/2021 13:31, F Murtz wrote:
> On 29/8/21 8:35 am, David Billington wrote:
>> On 28/08/2021 10:44, F Murtz wrote:
>>> Try again
>>> Ihave an older unimig 175 which seem to be the same as a unimig 190.
>>> it has three knobs,current voltage and wire speed,a euro socket for
>>> main mig cable,two euro sockets for dc,positive and neg, and a din
>>> socket for spool motor I think.
>>> I have ordered an el cheapo spool gun which does not come with plugs
>>> on end of wiring but does come with a separate 4pin din plug,(I
>>> think) .
>>> so how do I connect it all up.
>>

>> Looks like the Unimig have a Euro connector for a MIG torch and Dinse
>> sockets for MMA, MIG ground lead and a spool gun power supply. My
>> spool gun came with a Euro plug already attached but you say yours
>> doesn't have one so best to fit one, they're not expensive. My spool
>> gun was advertised as having a Amphenol connector for the torch power
>> but I couldn't find any that matched but eventually identified it as
>> a 4 pin GX16 aviation connector so had to get a matching socket to
>> add to my MIG for spool gun supply. You likely need to find out what
>> connector is used for your Unimig spool gun motor power and if you're
>> lucky it'll match your torch or otherwise change one or the other to
>> suit.
>>

> One problem I have is that it seems to have a cable for the dc with
> sheilding or something ending up with a copper lug 0n it where do I
> put that lug?

From looking at ones as you describe supplied without a Euro plug that
would be the power lead so it would need to be fixed to the brass core
of the plug kit.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<ORXXI.10624$6U3.8116@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#101

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 13:50:04 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 03:50 UTC

David Billington wrote:
> On 30/08/2021 13:31, F Murtz wrote:
>>>

>>> Looks like the Unimig have a Euro connector for a MIG torch and Dinse
>>> sockets for MMA, MIG ground lead and a spool gun power supply. My
>>> spool gun came with a Euro plug already attached but you say yours
>>> doesn't have one so best to fit one, they're not expensive. My spool
>>> gun was advertised as having a Amphenol connector for the torch power
>>> but I couldn't find any that matched but eventually identified it as
>>> a 4 pin GX16 aviation connector so had to get a matching socket to
>>> add to my MIG for spool gun supply. You likely need to find out what
>>> connector is used for your Unimig spool gun motor power and if you're
>>> lucky it'll match your torch or otherwise change one or the other to
>>> suit.
>>>

>> One problem I have is that it seems to have a cable for the dc with
>> sheilding or something ending up with a copper lug 0n it where do I
>> an 8 mm hole in it put that lug?
>
> From looking at ones as you describe supplied without a Euro plug that
> would be the power lead so it would need to be fixed to the brass core
> of the plug kit.

Yes the power lead,but I am talking about what looks like shielding of
the power lead which ends with a brass lug with an 8 mm hole in it.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<sgqcc5$dj7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#102

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 12:25:57 +0100
 by: David Billington - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 11:25 UTC

On 02/09/2021 04:50, F Murtz wrote:
> David Billington wrote:

>>> One problem I have is that it seems to have a cable for the dc with
>>> sheilding or something ending up with a copper lug 0n it where do I
>>> an 8 mm hole in it put that lug?
>>
>>  From looking at ones as you describe supplied without a Euro plug
>> that would be the power lead so it would need to be fixed to the
>> brass core of the plug kit.
>>
> Yes the power lead,but I am talking about what looks like shielding of
> the power lead which ends with a brass lug with an 8 mm hole in it.

As you say your welder has a Euro socket for a MIG torch I do wonder why
you didn't buy a spool gun with a Euro plug to start with. With MIG
requiring different power supply characteristics to MMA/TIG and no
information about the internals of your welding power supply connecting
your spool gun to the Euro connector should get it working. What you see
as a shield is likely the main power conductor, unless you can find
something else, and I suspect will be around the shielding gas line so
that helps cool the conductor much like happens with TIG torches whether
water or air cooled.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<ezjYI.42725$o45.1996@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#104

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:48:39 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:48 UTC

David Billington wrote:
> On 02/09/2021 04:50, F Murtz wrote:
>> David Billington wrote:

>>>  From looking at ones as you describe supplied without a Euro plug
>>> that would be the power lead so it would need to be fixed to the
>>> brass core of the plug kit.
>>>
>> Yes the power lead,but I am talking about what looks like shielding of
>> the power lead which ends with a brass lug with an 8 mm hole in it.
>
> As you say your welder has a Euro socket for a MIG torch I do wonder why
> you didn't buy a spool gun with a Euro plug to start with

The difference is a couple of hundred dollars,

.. With MIG
> requiring different power supply characteristics to MMA/TIG and no
> information about the internals of your welding power supply connecting
> your spool gun to the Euro connector should get it working. What you see
> as a shield is likely the main power conductor,

The main power conductor looks to be a plastic covered heavy wire with
what looks like a shielding wire with a lug , I have not got it yet but
am looking at various cheap spool guns on the net,if you just get a
cheapie up on the net you can probably see the lug.
there is the heavy wire and four small wires(probably for spool motor
and this lug.

unless you can find
> something else, and I suspect will be around the shielding gas line so
> that helps cool the conductor much like happens with TIG torches whether e
> water or air cooled.

There is a three position switch for mma mig and tig
With the tig I just plugged it into the negative socket with pos earth
and it seems to work but I have not got a handle on tig welding yet, it
sticks all the time,I have trouble maintaining ark, I tried aluminium
with argon but not much success and I tried steel with argon, I have
welded steel with oxy acetylene on and off all my life and even
aluminium with oxy many years ago,so I thought tig would be a breeze.
I do not know the best settings for current and voltage for tig as a
beginner, or even if the voltage setting is applicable for mig

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<sgt3a9$6ru$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#105

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 07:09:30 -0500
 by: Snag - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:09 UTC

On 9/3/2021 1:48 AM, F Murtz wrote:
> David Billington wrote:

>>> Yes the power lead,but I am talking about what looks like shielding
>>> of the power lead which ends with a brass lug with an 8 mm hole in it.
>>
>> As you say your welder has a Euro socket for a MIG torch I do wonder
>> why you didn't buy a spool gun with a Euro plug to start with
>
> The difference is a couple of hundred dollars,
>
> . With MIG
>> requiring different power supply characteristics to MMA/TIG and no
>> information about the internals of your welding power supply
>> connecting your spool gun to the Euro connector should get it working.
>> What you see as a shield is likely the main power conductor,
>

> The main power conductor looks to be a plastic covered heavy wire with
> what looks like a shielding wire with a lug , I have not got it yet but
> am looking at various cheap spool guns on the net,if you just get a
> cheapie up on the net you can probably see the lug.
> there is the heavy wire and four small wires(probably for spool motor
> and this lug.
>
> unless you can find
>> something else, and I suspect will be around the shielding gas line so
>> that helps cool the conductor much like happens with TIG torches
>> whether e
>> water or air cooled.
>>

> There is a three position switch for mma mig and tig
> With the tig I just plugged it into the negative socket with pos earth
> and it seems to work but I have not got a handle on tig welding yet, it
> sticks all the time,I have trouble maintaining ark, I tried aluminium
> with argon but not much success and I tried steel with argon, I have
> welded steel with oxy acetylene on and off all my life and even
> aluminium with oxy many years ago,so I thought tig would be a breeze.
> I do not know the best settings for current and voltage for tig as a
> beginner, or even if the voltage setting is applicable for mig

Youtube , welding tips and tricks . Jody is an excellent teacher .
Probably won't help with your spoolgun hookup , but you can for sure
learn a lot from him about TIG and MIG welding .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<sgtumk$hpo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#106

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 20:57:08 +0100
 by: David Billington - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 19:57 UTC

On 03/09/2021 07:48, F Murtz wrote:
> David Billington wrote:

>>> Yes the power lead,but I am talking about what looks like shielding
>>> of the power lead which ends with a brass lug with an 8 mm hole in it.
>>
>> As you say your welder has a Euro socket for a MIG torch I do wonder
>> why you didn't buy a spool gun with a Euro plug to start with
>
> The difference is a couple of hundred dollars,

My spool gun with fitted Euro connector only cost £55 in the UK
delivered. Are they really that much more where you are, is it Australia?

> . With MIG
>> requiring different power supply characteristics to MMA/TIG and no
>> information about the internals of your welding power supply
>> connecting your spool gun to the Euro connector should get it
>> working. What you see as a shield is likely the main power conductor,
>

> The main power conductor looks to be a plastic covered heavy wire with
> what looks like a shielding wire with a lug , I have not got it yet
> but am looking at various cheap spool guns on the net,if you just get
> a cheapie up on the net you can probably see the lug.
> there is the heavy wire and four small wires(probably for spool motor
> and this lug.

Should be interesting what you actually find when it arrives, I didn't
realise you were only going by the pics on the net as I've never found a
good detail shot of the end connections.

> unless you can find
>> something else, and I suspect will be around the shielding gas line
>> so that helps cool the conductor much like happens with TIG torches
>> whether e
>> water or air cooled.
>>

> There is a three position switch for mma mig and tig
> With the tig I just plugged it into the negative socket with pos earth
> and it seems to work but I have not got a handle on tig welding yet,
> it sticks all the time,I have trouble maintaining ark, I tried
> aluminium with argon but not much success and I tried steel with
> argon, I have welded steel with oxy acetylene on and off all my life
> and even aluminium with oxy many years ago,so I thought tig would be a
> breeze.
> I do not know the best settings for current and voltage for tig as a
> beginner, or even if the voltage setting is applicable for mig

AFAIK the only way you can weld aluminium with a DC set is to use
reverse polarity to break up the oxide film but that hammers the TIG
torch as 2/3 of the heat is produced there rather than at the work piece.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<BnDYI.71308$T_8.43456@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#107

Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 15:21:35 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 05:21 UTC

On 4/9/21 5:57 am, David Billington wrote:
> On 03/09/2021 07:48, F Murtz wrote:
>> David Billington wrote:

>>> As you say your welder has a Euro socket for a MIG torch I do wonder
>>> why you didn't buy a spool gun with a Euro plug to start with
>>
>> The difference is a couple of hundred dollars,
>
> My spool gun with fitted Euro connector only cost £55 in the UK
> delivered. Are they really that much more where you are, is it Australia?

yes but ebay is worldwide.

>> . With MIG
>>> requiring different power supply characteristics to MMA/TIG and no
>>> information about the internals of your welding power supply
>>> connecting your spool gun to the Euro connector should get it
>>> working. What you see as a shield is likely the main power conductor,
>>

>> The main power conductor looks to be a plastic covered heavy wire with
>> what looks like a shielding wire with a lug , I have not got it yet
>> but am looking at various cheap spool guns on the net,if you just get
>> a cheapie up on the net you can probably see the lug.
>> there is the heavy wire and four small wires(probably for spool motor
>> and this lug.
>
> Should be interesting what you actually find when it arrives, I didn't
> realise you were only going by the pics on the net as I've never found a
> good detail shot of the end connections.
>

>> unless you can find
>>> something else, and I suspect will be around the shielding gas line
>>> so that helps cool the conductor much like happens with TIG torches
>>> whether e
>>> water or air cooled.
>>>

>> There is a three position switch for mma mig and tig
>> With the tig I just plugged it into the negative socket with pos earth
>> and it seems to work but I have not got a handle on tig welding yet,
>> it sticks all the time,I have trouble maintaining ark, I tried
>> aluminium with argon but not much success and I tried steel with
>> argon, I have welded steel with oxy acetylene on and off all my life
>> and even aluminium with oxy many years ago,so I thought tig would be a
>> breeze.
>> I do not know the best settings for current and voltage for tig as a
>> beginner, or even if the voltage setting is applicable for mig
>
> AFAIK the only way you can weld aluminium with a DC set is to use
> reverse polarity to break up the oxide film but that hammers the TIG
> torch as 2/3 of the heat is produced there rather than at the work piece.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<lyczporho0.fsf@richards-air-2.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#108

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 07:14:39 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 06:14 UTC

Spoolgun...
I've just started Ali welding this summer - marine applications.
You should find it interesting - assuming you are coming from steel.
I'm using conventional MIG with conventional "push" feed from a
conventional-sized spool on the wirefeeder, so can't comment on
spoolgun.
100% Ar and gets into spray at low Amps - by 150A it can be sweet
(apparently it's from >=130A).
Jody at weldingtipsandtricks gave me a lot of inspiration early on.

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<17589d6a9171ab21$2$223354$c5d34fd6@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=350&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#350

From: cbf91927...@example.com (Miller Scottish)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 16:32:21 +0000
 by: Miller Scottish - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 16:32 UTC

Welder wiring with cheap spool gun wiring saves money. Installing it is simple and cheap compared to expert wiring. Make sure all wires and connections are secure.

Make sure the wire is adequate for the application. After installation, test the wiring to ensure it works.

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/welding/cheap-spool-gun-wiring-54696-.htm

Re: cheap spool gun wiring

<175b3e540230dae4$111$1853841$53d3d9df@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=353&group=sci.engr.joining.welding#353

From: cbf91927...@example.com (Miller Scottish)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 06:03:36 +0000
 by: Miller Scottish - Tue, 2 May 2023 06:03 UTC

This cheap spool gun wire is made to work with the welding projects of today. It is made to last and is light, and the link is reliable and won't let you down. The wiring is safe and reliable because it is made of high-quality materials and has been cleared by the UL. It also has a tightness knob that lets you easily change how tight the wire is. This spool gun wiring is great for MIG welding and works with many popular welding machines. It's also easy to set up and comes with clear instructions to help you do it quickly.

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/welding/cheap-spool-gun-wiring-54696-.htm