From: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: practical FTL
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 00:48:34 +1000
 by: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 14:48 UTC

Previous proposed warp drives fell into 2 classes:
(a) FTL drive using exotic matter and/or glalaxy class energy input;
(b) sub c ("Newtonian") warp drive using a lot of power but no
fancy -ve energy or black holes.
Now there's a proposed type of warp that threads the needle --
no funny energy needed but also allowing "arbitrary speeds".

<https://thedebrief.org/theoretical-lentz-drive-could-make-star-trek-warp-technology-a-reality/>

Theoretical "Lentz Drive" Could Make Star Trek-Style Warp Technology a
Reality

Christopher Plain
June 18, 2021

Ever since Captain James T. Kirk first ordered Chief Engineer
Montgomery Scott to jump the Starship Enterprise to warp speed, real
world scientists and engineers have looked for ways to bring the
concept of faster than light travel into reality. A number of solutions
have been proposed, but nearly all require a highly theoretical
substance called `exotic matter' to operate, or are otherwise limited
to sub-luminal travel to avoid having to use exotic matter altogether.

Now, a recent paper by a physicist with over 10 years experience in
practical applications has proposed a solution that may finally break
through those limitations, which has the potential of bringing into
existence the first real-life warp drive.

"The solutions I pursued in my paper are able to travel at arbitrary
speed, either below or above the speed of light," said Dr. Erik Lentz,
the author of the new proposed warp drive in an email to The Debrief.
"This is the first example of positive energy superluminal solutions in
the literature."

--
Upcoming events:
9 Jul 2021 NOAA bn Dollar Disasters Q2

Light cages could give quantum-information networks a boost
physicsworld.com, 18 Jun 2021 11:45Z
A new on-chip device that is very good at mediating interactions between
light and atoms in a vapour has been developed by researchers in Germany and
the ...

Newly discovered giant rhino species was among largest mammals ever to walk
Earth
USA TODAY, 17 Jun 2021 18:55Z
A group of researchers has found a new species of giant rhino from fossils
dating back 26.5 mn years in China.

How Russian Hackers Have Built A Slick Ransomware Business Model
NPR, 17 Jun 2021 22:50Z
The president says the US will respond if it keeps getting hit with cyber
attacks linked to Russia. But Putin has shown little interest in combatting
cyber crimes ...

What if treating COVID was as simple as taking a pill? The US wants to make
it happen
ABC News, 17 JunJune at 10:03pm
The United States is devoting $US3.2 bn ($4.2 bn) to speed
development of antiviral pills to treat COVID-19 and other dangerous viruses
that could turn into pandemics.

Ghostly Deep Sea Fish Surprises Scientists Again-It Can Live for 100 Years
Gizmodo, 17 Jun 2021 16:55Z
Coelacanths, once presumed extinct, likely don't even reach maturity until
around age 50.

[After thinking about it for 70 years:]
`Something's going on': UFOs threaten national security, US politicians warn
The Guardian, 17 Jun 2021 18:25Z
Some members of Congress were given advanced details about Pentagon report,
which is scheduled to be released before 25 June.

Physicists bring human-scale object to near standstill, reaching a quantum state
Phys.org, 17 Jun 2021 18:05Z
MIT scientists have cooled a 10-kilogram object to a near standstill, using
LIGO's precise measurements of its 40-kilogram mirrors. Shown here are LIGO
optics ...

Teen badly hurt when whale lands on boat wakes from coma
ABC South East NSW, 17 Jun 2021 2021 at 9:14am
Nick Myhill's family and friends say he's "responsive" and "communicating
well" after the devastating freak accident, but the long-term impact of his
injuries are not yet clear.

World Bank rejects El Salvador's request to help implement bitcoin
ampAxios, 17 Jun 2021 05:33Z
The World Bank has rejected the govt of El Salvador's request to help
the country implement Bitcoin as legal tender, Reuters first reported late ...

Millions in US `race against the clock' to pay the rent and stave off eviction
The Guardian, 17 Jun 2021 09:32Z
CDC eviction moratorium ends on 30 June - and in the vast majority of states,
help could arrive too late, housing advocates say.

Study: COVID-19 found in 5 states of US before first confirmed case reported
WION, 16 Jun 2021 14:53Z

'Great Dimming' of Betelgeuse star is solved
Yahoo News, 16 Jun 2021 17:52Z
Astronomers say a cold spot and dust formation explain last year's unusual
drop in brightness.

Spanish cannibal who ate mother's remains with his dog gets 15 years
New York Post, 16 Jun 2021 18:50Z
Alberto Sanchez Gomez, 28, or the "Cannibal of Las Ventas" will also serve
an additional 5 months for desecrating his 68-year-old mother's corpse.

Toyota delusionally claims hybrids and fuel cells will stay competitive with
electric cars for next 30 years
Electrek, 16 Jun 2021 19:47Z
Toyota is sticking to its delusional belief that battery-electric vehicles
aren't necessarily the future as they claim hybrids and fuel cell hydrogen
will stay ...

'Talking' quantum dots could be used as qubits - Physics World
physicsworld.com, 16 Jun 2021 20:34Z
New atomic-scale computer simulations of how quantum dots "talk" to each
other could lead to a wide range of practical applications ranging from
quantum ...

J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot to Explore the `UFO' Mystery in a New Docuseries for
Showtime
Variety, 16 Jun 2021 20:04Z
J.J. Abrams is ready to get to the bottom of unidentified flying objects,
and Showtime is giving him the platform to do just ...

UFOs could threaten US security, pols say after Capitol Hill briefing
New York Post, 16 Jun 2021 19:45Z
Capitol Hill lawmakers said Wed that UFOs could pose a threat to
America's security, as they emerged from a briefing ...

UFO report is product of years of military infighting over whether to take
sightings seriously
Omaha.com, 16 Jun 2021 16:24Z
Members of the House Intelligence Committee are receiving a classified
briefing on one of the most controversial topics ...

Common cold combats COVID-19 | YaleNews
Yale News, 15 Jun 2021 14:51Z
Exposure to the rhinovirus, the most frequent cause of the common cold, can
protect against infection by the virus which causes COVID-19, Yale
researchers ...

IBM unveils first quantum computer in Germany
DW (English), 15 Jun 2021 19:43Z
It is Germany's first quantum computer, and it is capable of bending the
laws of physics and computing in order to work. IBM hopes to have a quantum
computer ...

Indiana congressman to chair classified briefing on UFOs
WTHR, 16 Jun 2021 02:58Z
US officials will say in a highly-anticipated report that they can't rule
out the possibility that Navy pilots have encountered aliens, the New York
Times reports.

Re: practical FTL

<saq9cj01g2k@news3.newsguy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3529&group=alt.astronomy#3529

From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: Re: practical FTL
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 07:57:24 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 14:57 UTC

On 6/18/2021 7:48 AM, MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
> Previous proposed warp drives fell into 2 classes:
> (a) FTL drive using exotic matter and/or glalaxy class energy input;
> (b) sub c ("Newtonian") warp drive using a lot of power but no
> fancy -ve energy or black holes.
> Now there's a proposed type of warp that threads the needle --
> no funny energy needed but also allowing "arbitrary speeds".
>

> <https://thedebrief.org/theoretical-lentz-drive-could-make-star-trek-warp-technology-a-reality/>
>
> Theoretical "Lentz Drive" Could Make Star Trek-Style Warp Technology a
> Reality
>
> Christopher Plain
> June 18, 2021
>
> Ever since Captain James T. Kirk first ordered Chief Engineer
> Montgomery Scott to jump the Starship Enterprise to warp speed,

That reminds me of a sci-fi book, where 'pirates'
interfere with navigation and cause a multi-warp
speed transport to hit asteroids.
What a shattered mess!

OTish, we are very blessed to have our almost 1 year old and
our 3 1/2 year old grandchildren visit us once or twice
every week. On Thursdays, we take the 3 1/2 to her ballet
class, and,,,, I'm not as patient as I used to be, or as I
should probably be, so rather than watch her and the other
3 year olds, I wander down the block to the local library,
where they always have great sales going on for the "Friends
of the Library" group. So, I pick up some books to read to
the kids for $.10, or $.25, or $.50.

Well, on the rack, a written Sci-Fi book caught my eye.
"Beacon 23: The Complete Novel" by Hugh Howey
Hmmm, the fact it was printed in 2015, and for whatever
reason has already been pulled from circulation,
caused some concern.
But, I started reading it.
Sure seems engaging to me!

Here, have a look:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0151HYRCS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
(Amazon reader rating of 4.2)

And try the free "Look Inside" for a few pages.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0151HYRCS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

What is the worst that can happen?
--- you like it & pay $2.00 plus S&H for your own copy!

Meanwhile, Goodreads considered it a 3.9 rating.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26771521-beacon-23

I finished reading it. It had many quite engaging
parts. The protagonist suffers from PTSD, depression
and hallucinations, so it felt depressing at times.

Re: practical FTL

<saqatc$3rc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3530&group=alt.astronomy#3530

From: kym...@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:23:25 +0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:23 UTC

a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/18/2021 7:48 AM, MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
>> Previous proposed warp drives fell into 2 classes:
>> (a) FTL drive using exotic matter and/or glalaxy class energy input;
>> (b) sub c ("Newtonian") warp drive using a lot of power but no
>> fancy -ve energy or black holes.
>> Now there's a proposed type of warp that threads the needle --
>> no funny energy needed but also allowing "arbitrary speeds".
>> <https://thedebrief.org/theoretical-lentz-drive-could-make-star-trek-warp-technology-a-reality/>
>> Theoretical "Lentz Drive" Could Make Star Trek-Style Warp Technology a
>> Reality
>> Christopher Plain
>> June 18, 2021
>> Ever since Captain James T. Kirk first ordered Chief Engineer
>> Montgomery Scott to jump the Starship Enterprise to warp speed,
> That reminds me of a sci-fi book, where 'pirates'
> interfere with navigation and cause a multi-warp
> speed transport to hit asteroids.
> What a shattered mess!
> OTish, we are very blessed to have our almost 1 year old and
> our 3 1/2 year old grandchildren visit us once or twice
> every week. On Thursdays, we take the 3 1/2 to her ballet
> class, and,,,, I'm not as patient as I used to be, or as I
> should probably be, so rather than watch her and the other
> 3 year olds, I wander down the block to the local library,
> where they always have great sales going on for the "Friends
> of the Library" group. So, I pick up some books to read to
> the kids for $.10, or $.25, or $.50.
> Well, on the rack, a written Sci-Fi book caught my eye.
> "Beacon 23: The Complete Novel" by Hugh Howey
> Hmmm, the fact it was printed in 2015, and for whatever
> reason has already been pulled from circulation,
> caused some concern.
> But, I started reading it.
> Sure seems engaging to me!
> Here, have a look:
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0151HYRCS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
> (Amazon reader rating of 4.2)
> And try the free "Look Inside" for a few pages.
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0151HYRCS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
> What is the worst that can happen?
> --- you like it & pay $2.00 plus S&H for your own copy!
> Meanwhile, Goodreads considered it a 3.9 rating.
> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26771521-beacon-23
> I finished reading it. It had many quite engaging
> parts. The protagonist suffers from PTSD, depression
> and hallucinations, so it felt depressing at times.

Looks like the book came in parallel with UK TV show that closed up shop
after the pilot also in 2015.

I'm a bit played out as far as SF is concerned. I read litlerally
a book a day for 15y growing up and still have ~3000 paperbacks
including 100s of "ACE" classics moldering out in boxes in the garage
and havent looked at them for more than 30y.

It seems there are no new ideas and when youve seen the same ones
rehashed maybe a few times in novel ways then youve seen the lot.

But if its a laugh you want then look into the old UK TV puppet
series "Space Patrol".

I'm presently waiting for the Big Report and hoping it's an advance
on from the French govt report "Les Ovnis" from ~1999, or the prev US
reports following big incidents involving the military in the 50s and 40s
("Mainbrace" and "Paperclip"). Before 1953 it was still legal for
military personnel to report "strange things" to the media.

I'm putting my money on Roberta Leigh's "Space Patrol" having many
of the details right. Total shock. :)